Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel

Jolo posted:

Yeah! I've been avoiding coverage of it because I wanna jump in not knowing much of anything.

same! I might even grab a notepad and pencil to write things down like you'd do for an old adventure game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Jolo posted:

Yeah! I've been avoiding coverage of it because I wanna jump in not knowing much of anything.

:same:

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I think I read that it's available later today or midnight for most of the world. My copy is coming Saturday. That's way too long to wait. Please keep me in your thoughts in this trying time byob.

Prof. Crocodile

Jolo posted:

there is this lady named elden, and she has a ring. :evilbuddy:

itry

Prof. Crocodile posted:

One ring, to elden them all.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Prof. Crocodile posted:

oof spoiler alert

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
there's elves but with a d instead of a v

Jolo

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Like a hula hoop? She sounds alright

Farecoal

There he go
I can't wait to play Elden Ring in a year or more!

Dr. Chainsaws PhD

one time i played dark souls and then i found out you couldn't pause the game which was a dealbreaker so i took it back. that's my soulsgame story tanks for reading.

Farecoal

There he go
You can pause Sekiro if you have any interest in that

Heather Papps

hello friend

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

one time i played dark souls and then i found out you couldn't pause the game which was a dealbreaker so i took it back. that's my soulsgame story tanks for reading.

wait is this real

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Farecoal

There he go
If you need to stop playing you can save and quit at any time. The only problem is that if you're fighting a boss it will put you outside the boss room and reset the fight

Heather Papps

hello friend

okay that's not that bad!

soulsgames seem like something i would like but i tried playing dark souls and it failed to hook me. my brother did buy elden ring and we have family sharing so maybe i will try this one out. it's funny because i've seen a bunch of people talk about not looking up news to go in with fresh eyes and i basically know the game is called elden ring and i bet there are swords in it.

i do like swords.

more falafel please

forums poster

i can't deal with the souls games. i started attacking 45 minutes ago but i'm still only halfway into the warmup to swing my three hundred pound sword. in the meantime i have died seventeen times

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

more falafel please posted:

i can't deal with the souls games. i started attacking 45 minutes ago but i'm still only halfway into the warmup to swing my three hundred pound sword. in the meantime i have died seventeen times

this is also why i dont like monster hunter

i actually got to the final boss of dark souls but i just didnt care to die enough to figure out how to beat one more ridiculously hard boss fight

Heather Papps

hello friend

okay but this is the thing: i love monster hunter very much.

i was talking to my brother about this and i think it's just that i can't take what i guess would be described as "gothic horror" seriously. i like to play video games to have fun, not to be grossed out by monsters that are metaphors for menarche.

this is completely a personal preference, and one that i've aged into i think.

it would be an interesting experiment, to take an adventure combat type 3rd person game and then release it with two completely different visual styles, one being cute and silly with pet dogs, and one being grim and dark with pet monsters and see which people prefer.

biosterous

ac:odyssey : i usually hate big slow weapons in games like this, but i've realized that the huge blunt weapons are really good at dealing with bears, and also the x+y special chain just chainkill a bunch of mooks which then fuels your adrenaline back a fair amount

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I started playing Stranded Sails because I wanted a fun adventure game. It's more like a chore simulator, but whatever, it's cute. Except for the monkeys. There are monkeys that show up and beg for food. If you give them food, they give you treasure. They also lie on their backs and spread their legs open. It seriously looks like they're presenting themselves. It made me think of that awful story about the orangutan that was being abused. Fortunately its' not the only way to get treasure in this game made for children.

Farecoal

There he go
I am actually enjoying monster hunter world. I've gotten to rank 7, and I'm pretty much decided to invest in using the bow and long sword. Not sure if I'll get the Iceborne expansion. I don't really see myself playing Rise or any of the others, I think this game is enough

Bobby Deluxe

Sarah Cenia posted:

i actually got to the final boss of dark souls but i just didnt care to die enough to figure out how to beat one more ridiculously hard boss fight
you just have to parry, that is it

granted not everyone has a tv with low enough lag to be able to hit the window easily but if you want to beat gwyn he is really weak to parries

Enfys

The ocean is calling and I must go

Heather Papps posted:

okay but this is the thing: i love monster hunter very much.

i was talking to my brother about this and i think it's just that i can't take what i guess would be described as "gothic horror" seriously. i like to play video games to have fun, not to be grossed out by monsters that are metaphors for menarche.

this is completely a personal preference, and one that i've aged into i think.

it would be an interesting experiment, to take an adventure combat type 3rd person game and then release it with two completely different visual styles, one being cute and silly with pet dogs, and one being grim and dark with pet monsters and see which people prefer.

More cute and silly with pet dogs please.

I think media in general has been oversaturated with grimdark for years though.

Bobby Deluxe

god yes, grimdark has its place but i am so sick of everything having to be so relentlessly bleak and punishing

in defense of dark souls though there is a japanese concept that something that is desolate and broken can be kind of beautiful. i read an interview (and fuckin wish i could find it) with the designer around the time dark souls 3 came out where he explained the concept and used a big japanese word, but the nearest i could find was from this vice article:

quote:

"What we want to communicate to the fans is that there's an inherent beauty that can be found within everything, beyond all the withering and decay."

https://www.vice.com/en/article/gqydd9/on-the-sublime-and-beautiful-a-conversation-with-dark-souls-iii-director-hidetaka-miyazaki
so people mistake dark souls as being all 'isn't this terrible' but its actually 'isn't this kind of beautiful'

kalel

well I have work to do today and throughout the weekend so I guess I can't play Elden ring over the weekend even though the icon is sitting right there on my ps4

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Heather Papps posted:

okay that's not that bad!

soulsgames seem like something i would like but i tried playing dark souls and it failed to hook me. my brother did buy elden ring and we have family sharing so maybe i will try this one out. it's funny because i've seen a bunch of people talk about not looking up news to go in with fresh eyes and i basically know the game is called elden ring and i bet there are swords in it.

i do like swords.

there might be a ring in it too. just a guess tho

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Dr. Honked posted:

there might be a ring in it too. just a guess tho

Actually it's pretty hosed up, they took away equippable rings and I don't know if it's because of lore reasons or what

That spoiler is not goatse but I think it would have been pretty funny if it was.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

I Was The Fury posted:

That spoiler is not goatse but I think it would have been pretty funny if it was.

:master:

Heather Papps

hello friend

Bobby Deluxe posted:

god yes, grimdark has its place but i am so sick of everything having to be so relentlessly bleak and punishing

in defense of dark souls though there is a japanese concept that something that is desolate and broken can be kind of beautiful. i read an interview (and fuckin wish i could find it) with the designer around the time dark souls 3 came out where he explained the concept and used a big japanese word, but the nearest i could find was from this vice article:

so people mistake dark souls as being all 'isn't this terrible' but its actually 'isn't this kind of beautiful'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kintsugi!

that makes a lot of sense to me. i really should give dark souls another go. or just play this elden ring.

Bobby Deluxe

more like the broader concept of mono no aware, but there is a big word that im pretty sure starts with u which means old, derelict, abandoned, decaying, damaged, but there is a certain aesthetic beauty in that. not in fixing it but in the thing itself

it was from an interview with the director but i can not for the life of me remember if it was around the launch of ds2, ds3 or bloodborne. it was a gaming mag and it opened by explaining the concept. i wish i could find it

Dr. Chainsaws PhD

so what you're getting at is that dark souls' aesthetic is like a mall that used to have a sears and a belk but now the only place in it is the movie theatre and some little kiosks

Farecoal

There he go
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-04-03-sekiro-samsara-and-from-softwares-cycles-of-death

MAP20 Gotcha!

You Think I Ain't Worth a Dollar But I Feel Like One Million Robux
Warframe beeeeeeyotchhhhhhhh i love making bionicles for free with an endgame player who's taking me through the steps to enjoy the game its cool

^^My Nezha mfr

^^My wisp damnit

I have a railjack and it says LOOK OUT FOR THE MOUSIES on the side vv

c:Saoshyant, deep dish peat moss (Guardian of Transportation)

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
remember this??
https://play.date/

well the SDK is now publicly available and comes with a simulator so you can go HOGGE WILDE and make your own games for it
https://play.date/dev/

Dr. Chainsaws PhD

finally i can crank it while playing video games

Mummy Napkin
playing elden ring and cranking it and keep getting killed by margit

Scaly Haylie

xcom 2 collection is $5 on the switch eshop right now. realized i had to take a poo poo as i was getting ready to boot it up but then i became overjoyed knowing that i can play xcom 2 on the toilet

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Scaly Haylie posted:

xcom 2 collection is $5 on the switch eshop right now. realized i had to take a poo poo as i was getting ready to boot it up but then i became overjoyed knowing that i can play xcom 2 on the toilet

!!!

Jolo

Mummy Napkin posted:

playing elden ring and cranking it and keep getting killed by margit

Is there a way to view tutorial messages you've already seen? Also, can you see what buff/debuff/enhancement you have on somewhere? I got something from beating an npc invader but couldn't figure out what it was, then got another when I let a lady hug me and I don't know what that did either.

Farecoal

There he go

Jolo posted:

Is there a way to view tutorial messages you've already seen? Also, can you see what buff/debuff/enhancement you have on somewhere? I got something from beating an npc invader but couldn't figure out what it was, then got another when I let a lady hug me and I don't know what that did either.

Tutorial messages are in their own item category, all the way to right. Not sure about the other stuff, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mummy Napkin

Jolo posted:

If you check your inventory, the tutorial stuff can be examined again in the very last tab. I think your buffs and debuffs are under your health/fp/stamina in the top right, but I have no clue what the icons mean. The hugging lady gives you an item where you can use FP to boost your poise temporarily. She won't give you any of the Blessings or whatever if you already have one in your inventory though she's always down for a hug.

e: top left, rather