Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

https://twitter.com/SEGAbits/status/1496606121326489600?s=20&t=fA4WMuFo-YDtQbCzmAIo_g

Of course they released this after I bought the regular one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It’s cool but I think I’m gonna disagree on the “looks great” part of the tweet. Not a fan of controllers that just have images on them, except for the PS2 one where the control sticks are Shadow’s nipples

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Takoluka posted:

It genuinely took me over a decade to figure out the intended method for that stupid thing. I used to have Sonic and Tails do specially timed jumps to eventually physics my way far enough down to short hop off the platform.

Same. I didn't end up figuring out how those things worked until I replayed the game on the Gamecube Mega Collection about a decade later. Though it never ended up being a problem for me as a kid as I didn't actually own the game and every time I rented it there was always a save file that had already beaten Carnival Nights.

Then again, I think I had just a tacit understanding that I was probably never going to see large segments of my Genesis games: I remember I always had an extreme amount of trouble with the boss of Spring Yard Zone in Sonic 1 and rarely made it past that level despite playing the game more times than I can count...

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hogama posted:

I never knew it was a problem until the internet informed me otherwise. But I also never liked the blue sphere special stage.

The game just never at any point teaches you how they work beyond being rotating platforms. So the only time you ever actually encounter it is in this weird locked room. And then of course the jumping can end up working if you're determined enough so it ends up feeling like that's the intended mechanic

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

The game just never at any point teaches you how they work beyond being rotating platforms. So the only time you ever actually encounter it is in this weird locked room. And then of course the jumping can end up working if you're determined enough so it ends up feeling like that's the intended mechanic

It’s also pretty much the only time that kind of puzzle shows up in the game (which raises the question of why include it at all, it just kills the pacing in my opinion)

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
The Barrel is really unintuitive, especially since you can bounce on it to gain momentum.

Pretty messed up they lock you in a room with it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i figured the barrel out as a child be pressing every button on the controller... it was not difficult

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i figured the barrel out as a child be pressing every button on the controller... it was not difficult

I didn't figure it out as an adult because I didn't press every button, because jumping seemed to keep almost working. What's your point

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Palmtree Panic posted:

The Barrel is really unintuitive, especially since you can bounce on it to gain momentum.

Pretty messed up they lock you in a room with it.

Given you need to use it to progress, it would have been crueler to let someone backtrack thinking there was a way around.

I have memories of figuring out the barrel, but regularly being low on time towards the end of that act, to the point I'd often wait for a time over so I could reset the clock before the boss.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

We got a gamer here!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
What is everyone's opinion of Metropolis zone? I definitely did not need 3 acts of it. It's definitely the point where I start wanting to play something else, but I love Sky Fortress Zone.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Metropolis was way too long, but the 3rd act makes sense when you learn that it was originally supposed to be the 1-act Cyber City Zone.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I guess, but if they weren't going to make the actual zone sprites then they should have cut it. They did that to Hidden Palace, and lord knows the game is large enough as it is.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Takoluka posted:

It genuinely took me over a decade to figure out the intended method for that stupid thing. I used to have Sonic and Tails do specially timed jumps to eventually physics my way far enough down to short hop off the platform.

As a kid I would always time over before even getting to the thing. The when I was a little older, I played it at a friend's house, and we both got stumped. We came up with the idea "You must need Super Sonic." It didn't work, but I get good at Blue Spheres.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

It’s cool but I think I’m gonna disagree on the “looks great” part of the tweet. Not a fan of controllers that just have images on them, except for the PS2 one where the control sticks are Shadow’s nipples
Seems that be a thing with these types of products

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

What is everyone's opinion of Metropolis zone? I definitely did not need 3 acts of it. It's definitely the point where I start wanting to play something else, but I love Sky Fortress Zone.

It's bad. But it's got sick music.

But like. Some of the most unfriendly to Goes Fast enemies in the game

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Literally the first thing you do with the barrel is jump on it, which makes it move and implies that the solution is one of simple physics, while pressing up and down doesn't have such an immediate effect that you'll do either one long or often enough to work out what effect they're having. Plus, if you just hold down one of the buttons then it'll bring the barrel to a halt when it starts traveling the wrong direction for the button being held, which implies that pressing up or down is incorrect unless you manage to join the dots.

It's a masterclass of poor design and nothing about it is intuitive, plus it's not even fun to do once you know the technique. They should honestly just remove it from any re-releases.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The barrel is one of those things I didn't know was supposed to be hard until I got really big into the internet.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it was good game design because it made children call the sega hotline for help which allowed sega to earn more money

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i'm glad it's infamous because it also makes for a good mug

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it was good game design because it made children call the sega hotline for help which allowed sega to earn more money

Didn’t the hotline get enough calls about the barrel that they eventually just recorded an automated message explaining the solution?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Takoluka posted:

Nah you had it right, there's no other way. I think this worked until it didn't. I don't really remember.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Let me guess you couldn't even beat the first boss of Sonic 2 for the Game Gear. I'm unimpressed.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i only owned a gameboy and so did not play the game gear sonics

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 25, 2022

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Trying to piece together childhood memories I remember the barrel definitely but not being stuck on it so at some point i must have figured it out, but also like someone said pressing up and down doesnt have any apparent effect at first. Its so odd thats there but sonic games have never been a sterling example of amazing game design if were beign honest

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
What they are examples of is having the sickest soundtracks ever put to a videogame

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

For me, Sonic games was one of the first games to tell a story through "cutscenes"

Like the part where you grabbed onto Robotnik's spaceship and fly to the death egg was awesome back in the day.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

In like third grade my friend wrote Sega a letter asking how to get past the barrel and they sent back a whole packet of tips and tricks, we thought that was pretty cool.

blackguy32 posted:

For me, Sonic games was one of the first games to tell a story through "cutscenes"

Like the part where you grabbed onto Robotnik's spaceship and fly to the death egg was awesome back in the day.

Sonic 2 was the first game I ever beat on my own and finally getting to that part for the first time was some epic poo poo. And then realizing they wanted me to beat 2 bosses in a row with no rings...a truly formative Gamer Moment...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

ofc the first game to do that was Donkey Kong

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Tunicate posted:

ofc the first game to do that was Donkey Kong

poo poo. I don't fuckin know. I just know that that Sonic poo poo spoke to my soul. It was like anime poo poo in video game form before I even knew what anime was.

I wanted to know what happened to Knuckles dammit after he had been loving my poo poo up all game.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

The transitions between zones in S3&K are top notch. They really make Angel Island feel like an actual place.

Pretty great world building for 1994.

Palmtree Panic fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 25, 2022

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
I was stuck at the barrel for months trying to pass it by jumping. I finally found the solution by reading an old library copy of Game Players magazine (this was a few years after the game came out.) I remember standing there in the library feeling like I'd discovered lost arcane knowledge.

We are so spoiled by the internet.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I didn't figure out that barrel until college.

I would just use stage select and do Carnival Night as Knuckles.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think I used the debug code to bypass the barrel when I first played, because that was more 'out there' knowledge that I could find as opposed to how to actually do it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Palmtree Panic posted:

The transitions between zones in S3&K are top notch. They really make Angel Island feel like an actual place.

Pretty great word building for 1994.

It's something I really appreciate about it. It's like you're running around a tiny continent with all the history and different biomes of a real one. They could easily set an open world game on it.

Also StC has a great story about why Carnival Night Zone exists and what eventually happens to it.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Literally the first thing you do with the barrel is jump on it, which makes it move and implies that the solution is one of simple physics, while pressing up and down doesn't have such an immediate effect that you'll do either one long or often enough to work out what effect they're having. Plus, if you just hold down one of the buttons then it'll bring the barrel to a halt when it starts traveling the wrong direction for the button being held, which implies that pressing up or down is incorrect unless you manage to join the dots.

It's a masterclass of poor design and nothing about it is intuitive, plus it's not even fun to do once you know the technique. They should honestly just remove it from any re-releases.

If people pressed the down button in Sonic, no one would complain about how they run into enemies every 5 seconds.

"I hate Sonic because it's all about going fast. But I can't do that, because I run into a guy!! :qq:" - Every Sonic hater online who has never actually played the games

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Hrist posted:

If people pressed the down button in Sonic, no one would complain about how they run into enemies every 5 seconds.

"I hate Sonic because it's all about going fast. But I can't do that, because I run into a guy!! :qq:" - Every Sonic hater online who has never actually played the games

you're not entirely wrong but weren't we just talking about Metropolis

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think I used the debug code to bypass the barrel when I first played, because that was more 'out there' knowledge that I could find as opposed to how to actually do it.

The only other thing more annoying than that Barrell was how hard it was to put in the debug code on Sonic 3.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

I preferred not rolling in the Genesis games as a kid. Sonic just looked cooler running.

In Mania, would constantly use the drop dash. It was a great addition to Sonic’s move-set.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

blackguy32 posted:

The only other thing more annoying than that Barrell was how hard it was to put in the debug code on Sonic 3.

Weirdly I never had a problem with it. Could never remember Yuji Naka's birthday though..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/Yasuharah/status/1497085596635779073