Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

aperfectcirclefan posted:

What is the over and under on the European theatre having a effect on prices rising in America or as a excuse for rising prices
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
We need to raise your rent because Russia is invading Ukraine.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

We need to raise your rent because Russia is invading Ukraine.

The markets, and so forth. You understand

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
Just remembering the Gallup poll I took a couple years ago about Top Gun 2 and what I thought of the military industrial complex.

Cracks me up that covid stopped the propaganda movie from being released before the war started.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Fuel prices were going to gently caress with prices anyway, this will make it much worse

I'm grabbing some booze today

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

aperfectcirclefan posted:

What is the over and under on the European theatre having a effect on prices rising in America or as a excuse for rising prices

two weeks

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Orange Devil posted:

Not having to ask your friends for poo poo is what is causing the social glue to further disintegrate and people to feel more lonely and depressed.

Actually it's the fact no one can afford anything

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Yeah but people can afford more poo poo if they can borrow their friends poo poo sometimes

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Jazerus posted:

why not go for the classic minivan mom-mobile

not sure why those stopped being a thing

You just answered your own question.

Americans express themselves in the things they buy, and their vehicle is the most conspicuous of things they consume. Class and status signifiers abound. This is behind the proliferation of the pickup truck.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

also rampant male inferiority complex

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah but people can afford more poo poo if they can borrow their friends poo poo sometimes

they don't have anything either

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

they don't have anything either

Most people have some things

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Most people have some things

Some people have most things

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
This is a real stupid argument post pngs

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

This is a real stupid argument post pngs

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/RealAdamK/status/1496883182507024387

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

re: heavier cars becoming the norm with EVs:

Road wear/damage is typically calculated as a function of the fourth power of mass

So if you double weight you cause 16x the wear to the roads as you drive

Any cost/carbon savings associated with EVs, which are already dubious, will be eaten up by increased maintenance of roads

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Not a Children posted:

Road wear/damage is typically calculated as a function of the fourth power of mass

Any cost/carbon savings associated with EVs, which are already dubious, will be eaten up by increased maintenance of roads

Also, what happens to the car batteries when they need replacing? Would be interested to see what their lifespan is compared to even poor-tier ICE and transmission

Obviously the only moral and ethical EV vehicle is a tram

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Epic High Five posted:

Also, what happens to the car batteries when they need replacing? Would be interested to see what their lifespan is compared to even poor-tier ICE and transmission

Obviously the only moral and ethical EV vehicle is a tram

https://www.science.org/content/article/millions-electric-cars-are-coming-what-happens-all-dead-batteries

we burn them

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the skip driver pulls up to my driveway just as i finish parking and plugging in my EV, the serendipitous timing almost bringing a smile to my face before i notice the stupid lout drives a disgusting gas burner. mood soured by regret over my earlier generosity in giving him a tip when i paid, i mumble a ‘yea thanks’ and avoid eye contact as i collect my food and go inside.

when the lights flicker several times from the overloaded local power grid i know that my tesla house battery didn’t take a charge from my tesla solar panels again; obviously I’ve failed somewhere and will need to look into what i did wrong, they are a remarkable technological achievement

settling down on the couch with dinner and a cold bottle of sustainable organic juice shipped direct from Australia, i log into the metaverse global news stream to check the latest developments in the war for the open pit mine formerly known as Venezuela

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

Both of you seem to think that I do not hate cars. Allow me to assure you, this is false. Sincerely yours, trainsbeatall opposition

subway token opposition

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Yeah ok that too.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Some people have most things

This seems very bad. More and more people are saying this!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Can someone who knows about such things tell me why direct ethanol fuel cells aren't a thing?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Not a Children posted:

Yeah this is true, but I think it's also true that in order to do any meaningful damage to the road the vehicle has to have a gross tonnage much closer to a fully loaded 18 wheeler. Rain, sun, and snow do more damage to road surfaces than 4000lb cars.

This does not mean cars should get heavier they should get lighter. NOT loving THIS.

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/oof-the-2022-gmc-hummer-will-weigh-in-excess-of-9000-lbs

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

What's really going to piss you off is when you start thinking how much more expensive our road systems have to be designed and built to accommodate truck freight, how much gridlock that freight causes, and the environmental impact of such gridlock.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

It’s a good thing we have a plentiful and easily obtained supply of lithium then!

Oh wait…

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

mycomancy posted:

Can someone who knows about such things tell me why direct ethanol fuel cells aren't a thing?

lower energy density like diesel vs regular gas but worse for this case iirc but I don't know anything more than the base reasoning

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

skooma512 posted:

You just answered your own question.

Americans express themselves in the things they buy, and their vehicle is the most conspicuous of things they consume. Class and status signifiers abound. This is behind the proliferation of the pickup truck.

i will say that having a truck is insanely handy a lot of times, especially if you're working a trade (duh)

but yeah the vast majority of people who own them don't need them and the ones who do generally don't need the gigantic gas slurping monstrosities that they buy. it really sucks because having a truck would be great for me, but trying to find an old S-10 or Taco for less than like $10k is impossible, even if it barely runs. when my mom told me she was leasing a Tacoma i was like "oh cool, perfect truck for you" and the drat thing is the size of the F150 that i had back in the day, it's ridiculous

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I'm on a wait-list for a Maverick hybrid, but there's no ETA on it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mycomancy posted:

They're fickle and can get poisoned by impurities very easily and still less efficient than "just burn it in an engine".

Fuel cells in general only really make sense in niche applications like spacecraft where you already have a ton of very pure liquid fuel and the complexity and moving parts of a generator would be a huge liability.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Not a Children posted:

I think the brilliant American solution to the problem of road maintenance is applicable though: ignore the problem forever. If we don't acknowledge the problem, it doesn't exist.

Incidentally, with any luck, crumbling infrastructure will hopefully cripple car culture within the next few decades.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Everyone gonna be forced into cities cause climate change anyways.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/TaylorLorenz/status/1497231672172965892

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lmao that first tweet

quote:

“Ppl will search a Ukraine hashtag and expect some spammy content, some true content, but one thing they don’t expect is misinformation, disinformation, or propaganda.”

Uhh... who are these people and have they ever actually been to twitter before

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Or instagram I guess, I assume it's the same there I've never been

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i assume theres bitcoin and poo poo too

but still lolling at "one thing they don’t expect is misinformation, disinformation, or propaganda". i know its true but jesus christ get your poo poo together humanity

e: shame boy :argh:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

like if i read something on social media im probably more likely to believe its false than true lol

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Remember all the accounts that popped up to cover the George Floyd protests? Well what if you had even less of a loving idea who they were and what their biases were, in a far away country speaking Russian.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

mycomancy posted:

The enlisted keep drinking them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

How dare they advertise for OnlyFans! Everyone knows good war reporting only allows respectable advertising.