Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

C1 is the goto choice for PS5/XSX gaming correct?

It’s pretty good. I haven’t even configured gaming mode or anything and it’s fine for this old. Feels snappy and looks amazing. Forbidden West in resolution mode is just wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

I use my CX for PC driving sims and it makes me wish I had three of them.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Ultimate Mango posted:

It’s pretty good. I haven’t even configured gaming mode or anything and it’s fine for this old. Feels snappy and looks amazing. Forbidden West in resolution mode is just wow.

VectorSigma posted:

I use my CX for PC driving sims and it makes me wish I had three of them.

Welp guess I’m buying one then

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

C1 is the goto choice for PS5/XSX gaming correct?

For a few more months, yes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh, I guess the last firmware update for the B9 I have added Instant Game Response because I get that pop-up now. Nice.

And yeah, the C2 will likely dethrone the C1 given its lighter and brighter. Who knows if price will factor in though!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

FilthyImp posted:

Oh, I guess the last firmware update for the B9 I have added Instant Game Response because I get that pop-up now. Nice.

And yeah, the C2 will likely dethrone the C1 given its lighter and brighter. Who knows if price will factor in though!

I mean I’m always going to be inches away from the next big thing and have a console coming. Plus I’m ready to upgrade from a 9 year old Samsung 44”

And being $1300 I figured sure

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

My current hdmi for my consoles (xbx and ps5) is crapping out and I need to replace it. I've got an lg c1 and need about 15ft. I'm looking at this cable and was wondering if I'm on the right track or not:

https://www.amazon.com/Zeskit-48Gbps-Certified-Compatible-Samsung/dp/B07S1BNM7K?th=1

Sorry if this is a very dumb question but I'm not really immersed in AV, generally I'm able to use the stock cables forever but they are just too short for my new setup.

Sleng Teng fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 21, 2022

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've got several similar Zeskit 8k cables (braided 10footers) and they feel very high quality and have no issue driving 4k120 content. Seems like a solid brand to me.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I also have Zeskit cables and have no problems.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Okay great! I mainly asked because I heard above 10 ft is dicey unless it's fiber but I didn't know for sure. I also saw this https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42676 from monoprice.

Are they hard to bend? I have to run it across the length of the tv and then down the wall and some people seem to be worried about strain on the connectors and stuff.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Unreal to me that another no name amazon trash brand might actually be reliable

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Sleng Teng posted:

Okay great! I mainly asked because I heard above 10 ft is dicey unless it's fiber but I didn't know for sure. I also saw this https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42676 from monoprice.

Are they hard to bend? I have to run it across the length of the tv and then down the wall and some people seem to be worried about strain on the connectors and stuff.

With HDMI 2.1, over 10ft requires an active cable which costs more. Signal degradation grows from there.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I went thru many long (20'+) HDMI 2.1 cables when I got my 3080 back in 2020. This was the only one that worked (I've tried two of them):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081SHJJ3C/

And even with this one, I still get occasional brief signal drops a few times a day and about once a week it'll go out & won't come back on until I unplug/plug it back in. It's not great but that seems to be the times we live in at the moment. Though in its defense if I bet if I turned off HDR and/or VRR I bet that would improve the stability. FWIW I was using a 55' and a 65', both for 6 months+

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

tehinternet posted:

With HDMI 2.1, over 10ft requires an active cable which costs more. Signal degradation grows from there.

I use the Zeskit Maya 16ft HDMI 2.1 cable with no problems.
It is not an active cable. But it is a thick boy and difficult to bend.

Granted I havn't tried 8k with it. But I don't care.
4k120 works perfectly. And thats all I need for the next 5 years or more.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I've been using this cable to connect a 3080 and a C1 without any issues (so far).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

RoastBeef posted:

I've been using this cable to connect a 3080 and a C1 without any issues (so far).
Same cable here from a 3070 to a CX, no issues as well.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

My parents LG has a blue tint to the majority of the screen and they are gonna try to warranty it as it's only been a couple years. Wondering if that's even possible. I did clue them onto the LG C1's though and initially they didn't care - they are old and think anything is fine. They even use the loving Vivid setting even though I told them it's bad. But they are warming up to the OLED. I got them to watch some videos, they gasped with how thin it is. But i've convinced them it'll be the best picture quality they can get.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

codo27 posted:

Unreal to me that another no name amazon trash brand might actually be reliable

Gotta love spending money on a cable with Insulation (Non-Metal) Housing as

quote:

Metal housig may introduces inteference by touching, Non-metal housing won't.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I’ve been burnt too many times by whatever procedurally generated company name is selling cables. I’ll gladly pay a premium to know that they weren’t assembled by slave labor and are actually what I paid for. It’s not worth anyone’s time to worry about your cable after you’ve paid for it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I’m curious what everyone uses for picture settings on the C1/CX/C9 or whatever. Immediately after getting it out of the box I used rtings calibration guide and it looked… flat. I mean I’m not one for Samsung level popping colors but it wasn’t good to my eyes. I found a couple other similar guides from r/pled gaming and had the same result. Today I was watching something and it prompted me to plug my 10 year old tv that this replaced to check and everything was definitely more vivid. I ended up just switched back to standard and bumping the color temp to neutral.

All the guides I saw had color temp at maximum warm was and barely any contrast. After putting it at mostly stock settings my eyes were way happier

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Samsung 70" QLED plus soundbar, subwoofer, wall mount, cables and surge protector - $1098 shipped with code

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I’m curious what everyone uses for picture settings on the C1/CX/C9 or whatever.

I use the settings from this post: https://old.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/mbpiwy/lg_oled_gamingpc_monitor_recommended_settings/

This question comes up a lot for the LG OLEDs, it might be a good idea to have this linked in the OP and make mention of it in the thread title.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Incessant Excess posted:

I use the settings from this post: https://old.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/mbpiwy/lg_oled_gamingpc_monitor_recommended_settings/

This question comes up a lot for the LG OLEDs, it might be a good idea to have this linked in the OP and make mention of it in the thread title.

I think the biggest different is the contrast and color temperature. Max warmness feels so wrong to my eyes. I’ll have to check the setting I had but I swear contrast was lower than that guide or the rtings one. Or maybe color depth? One of those two felt too muted compared to the stock “standard” setting

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I think the biggest different is the contrast and color temperature. Max warmness feels so wrong to my eyes. I’ll have to check the setting I had but I swear contrast was lower than that guide or the rtings one. Or maybe color depth? One of those two felt too muted compared to the stock “standard” setting
A lot of it is how the author of the media you are consuming aimed for. Most calibrations seem to focus on cinema guidelines for where to get your colors and contrast adjusted to, which isn't going to be the same as say a game, or youtube, or a random cartoon. Hell, might not be true for all films as well.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
After upgrading my own TV I passed along my Visio M60-C3 to my parents which for them was a big improvement.
I think it got hit with a power surge or something, as after about a month being there it's having trouble turning on. Light comes on but to a black screen, and you basically need to turn it off and on a few times until you eventually see the Visio logo, at which point it will work fine.

Willing to try whatever random things to fix it, but am I right that this just means it's dieing and will likely need to be replaced soon?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

minusX posted:

A lot of it is how the author of the media you are consuming aimed for. Most calibrations seem to focus on cinema guidelines for where to get your colors and contrast adjusted to, which isn't going to be the same as say a game, or youtube, or a random cartoon. Hell, might not be true for all films as well.

It's not really "cinema guidelines".

Anything professionally produced was done with a certain target in mind. It was color graded on a display that was calibrated for very specific output. The goal of TV calibration is to match that output (which is standardized) as closely as possible so that you view the content in the same way that the creators did when they did the grading of the material. Games and less professionally produced youtube content may not be as closely controlled, but anything professionally produced for film and TV (whether it be live action or animated) are going to be done with the same standards in mind. A calibration should be universal for all content (within the constraints of the source device and content type) and the only "on the fly" adjustment should really be backlight level (or OLED light level) to compensate for ambient light.

I liken "pop" to weening yourself off sugar or salt. It may make things seem bland at first, but once you detox you can appreciate the nuance a lot better.

At the end of the day though, it's your TV and you set it up the way you want. I'm also not a fan of taking settings off the internet from review TVs because if it was as easy as just setting all the TVs to the same settings, they would do that on the factory floor. Production variances pretty much requires a custom calibration with the proper tools if you are going to touch the white balance controls. Otherwise just use test patterns to set brightness, contrast, color and tint (color filters are required for the last two but easy to obtain.)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

THF13 posted:

After upgrading my own TV I passed along my Visio M60-C3 to my parents which for them was a big improvement.
I think it got hit with a power surge or something, as after about a month being there it's having trouble turning on. Light comes on but to a black screen, and you basically need to turn it off and on a few times until you eventually see the Visio logo, at which point it will work fine.

Willing to try whatever random things to fix it, but am I right that this just means it's dying and will likely need to be replaced soon?

It's possible that replacing one simple part will breathe a few more years of life into it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is the C2 supposed to come out next month? I’m really interested in that 42 inch model.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

It's possible that replacing one simple part will breathe a few more years of life into it.

What part?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That I'm not sure, but there's only a handful of parts that us end users can fairly easily replace - mainboard, power board, cables, etc. If nobody here can diagnose it, google the symptoms to see if you can find others with the same problem and what part fixed it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Max warmness feels so wrong to my eyes.

Yes, cool is definitely the way to go, along with all interpolation features put on max

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It's not really "cinema guidelines".
Hey thanks a lot! I was misunderstanding the information I had been reading. This is great.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Might finally buy the 77" C1 today that I've been eyeing forever and then deal with wall mounting, probably buying a 5.1 system/soundbar and moving an outlet. It's gonna turn into a mini basement renovation project, haha.

Edit: this thing is loving huge and barely fit in my van. The guys at Costco dropped it putting it in so good thing their return policy is great...

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 25, 2022

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Refurbed 55" C1 $999 shipped from BuyDig - includes 4 year warranty for accidents

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Crossposting from the Xbox thread in Games:

My Series X is claiming that my brand new LG C1 48" doesn't support 4K. Any ideas on the issue? I've checked the latest software update on the TV and it says that it is up to date.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Jables88 posted:

Crossposting from the Xbox thread in Games:

My Series X is claiming that my brand new LG C1 48" doesn't support 4K. Any ideas on the issue? I've checked the latest software update on the TV and it says that it is up to date.
Probably the cable?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
It also may help if ya haven't to go in your Xbox display settings and tick the box for Enhanced Mode.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
It could be the cable. Also make sure you have enhanced HDMI or whatever on in the settings on the LG.
Actually, if you're using the cable that came with the xbox it shouldn't be that. Check that setting though. I don't think it's on by default.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Th VRR update for Sony 2021 XR TVs finally landed yesterday. I manually checked for the update and was able to install it on my X90J.

First impressions: it disables local dimming and forces game mode on the input you apply it to (it has to be enabled per input in the TV settings menu). Slight bummer there since my XSX is the only VRR capable device plugged into my receiver but the other systems (Switch, PS4 Pro, Shield) lose local dimming when it’s enabled.

I did try it with my XSX, I couldn’t notice any frame drops or judder in the opening area of Elden Ring that’s pretty notorious for frame rate issues, so I think it seems to work decently (the lack of a frame counter on the Xbox makes it hard to verify). I did see some slight flickering in cutscenes also, nothing major but there if you look for it. Then, when I powered off the XSX and tried to switch input, the TV locked up and crashed/rebooted. Hopefully that’s not going to be a regular thing.

Looking forward to Vincent Teoh’s full analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Ugh, I was set on the A80k or C2, but early reviews of the A95k make QD-OLED sound like a game-changer. Maybe I’ll just grab something cheap to replace my 42” plasma for the next couple years while I wait for prices to drop. Otherwise I’ll surely get buyers remorse over the inferior color saturation of my traditional OLED.