Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Pablo Bluth posted:

Must be going well enough that Zelenskyy can get out of whatever basement he's been working from. (Or fog of war old photos)

https://twitter.com/AsaadHannaa/status/1496963117288468483?t=BHKPK9RCtNq1t4r6K9iQUw&s=19

old photos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ravenkult posted:

Must have decorum in the war thread.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

drunkill posted:

russians wanting to read western media use facebook, also putin wants to limit free speech at the moment

In terms of organizing protests though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

canepazzo posted:

That BMP was stopped and the occupant(s?) executed, if it makes you feel better.

Let's not use sensationalist language frivolously. Execution is a fairly specific thing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

You guys cant argue in here, this is the war room thread!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Concerned Citizen posted:

the terms are fairly mild. it creates a state totally unable to defend itself against russian aggression but is otherwise independent. that's pretty much cold war finland. i don't think ukraine really has much of a choice, it's that or extinction.

I don't think it's reasonable to say that Cold War Finland couldn't defend itself. Yes, Cold War Finland could be successfully invaded by the USSR, but they would be able to extract a price on the invaders. That is very different from a state "totally unable to defend itself"

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

While Russia seems to be having trouble in other areas (the thread continues to say that resistance at Kharkiv has continued to stymie Russia), the southern front doesn't seem to be going well for Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1497246539047047176

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

This is propaganda. Even Kadyrov's own troops know he's not seriously going to pay them bonuses...

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
where is the push to remove .ru from root DNS? seems like a good idea

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Update from a student in the Carpathians:
"I am really scaerd for my family, now there are many attacks on Ukraine, in my town everything is good."
They've been offered help in France and Germany but if her dad stays to fight in the war she doesn't want to leave him.
"I will not go without my grandfather, without my grandmother, and my dog."

No updates from Chernihiv.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I do hope that paying bounties for destruction of BMPs and Soviet-type tanks backfires in the obviously hilarious way.

e: Zelensky is a guy who deserves big statues of him when this is all over, hopefully in Kiev.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Dumb question, but is "Russian Oligarch" an actual government title or a catch all term for industry leaders in Russia who have a huge sway in politics?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

ZombieLenin posted:

The Hitler comparison is not irrelevant. Putin just two days ago gave a speech about "Greater Russia," called the Ukrainian nation-state a fiction, and very clearly was waxing longingly about re-establishing the Soviet "Empire." Yes, NATO countries are at risk, for a lot of reasons... while we have 'drawn a red line' with NATO territory, Putin is not exactly rational. It remains to be seen if he views his success at keeping NATO 'out' of his Ukrainian adventure as sign that, when it comes down to it, NATO will balk at actually using its military to defend NATO states and 'risk' the nuclear war he keeps threatening.

On top of that, you seem to have blinders for Europe. The former Soviet "Empire" extended far beyond Europe. If Ukraine capitulates, what happens if Russia goes after Georgia again, but this time for keeps? What if Putin sees that NATO will only sanction him and not intervene, and all it will take is a couple days fighting before his non-NATO target capitulates? What happens when a fully Findalized Kazakhstan if forced back into the Russian Federation? What about Kyrgyzstan? What about Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, and Armenia?

There is a far greater threat that you are giving a dictator a 'free pass' at territorial acquisition through military means than you seem to think there is if Ukraine just rolls over after a couple days of fighting.

So what are you proposing? That we roll the tanks in to Ukraine, send F22s and F35s to take over the skies? The thing people here don't get is that the free pass has already been given. I am talking about how Ukraine should proceed with trying to survive. All this appeasement is bad talk is just telling the Ukrainians to die and keep the Russians tied up so we don't have to worry about them being able to target someone else next. Which is a bananas proposition and why Zelensky is so bitter when he talks of the West.

Sit down and talk because if you don't, you get nothing, nada, zilch. If the terms were basically bullshit and the tanks aren't stopping then you lose literally nothing.

I am not talking about NATO or the West right now. We can't even get out sanctions in order. I am talking about the situation from Zelensky 's point of view.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MikeC posted:

So what are you proposing? That we roll the tanks in to Ukraine, send F22s and F35s to take over the skies? The thing people here don't get is that the free pass has already been given. I am talking about how Ukraine should proceed with trying to survive. All this appeasement is bad talk is just telling the Ukrainians to die and keep the Russians tied up so we don't have to worry about them being able to target someone else next. Which is a bananas proposition and why Zelensky is so bitter when he talks of the West.

Sit down and talk because if you don't, you get nothing, nada, zilch. If the terms were basically bullshit and the tanks aren't stopping then you lose literally nothing.

I am not talking about NATO or the West right now. We can't even get out sanctions in order. I am talking about the situation from Zelensky 's point of view.

Why do you keep pretending Putin wants to talk about ANYTHING? The demands are already set. Putin is not going to change them, he's winning.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

MikeC posted:

Zelensky and Ukrainians seem to have made their point of view pretty clear. They're going to fight the motherfuckers.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Dumb question, but is "Russian Oligarch" an actual government title or a catch all term for industry leaders in Russia who have a huge sway in politics?

It's a catch-all term for billionaire (and upper end millionaire) entrepreneurs who participate in state politics, in Russian context. It's not an actual title, no.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

ravenkult posted:

Must have decorum in the war thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

You can't fight in here, etc.

Feels like there's been relatively small progress by Russia today, got to say I'm impressed at Ukraine holding out as strongly as they have so far.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Captain Beans posted:

Is it such a burn really? Sure Finland bloodied the USSRs nose but they eventually capitulated.

It was more than a bloody nose, it's one of the better known modern Pyrrhic victories. More to the point - Finland maintained sovereignty (albeit after ceding territory).

The most important point has already been made though - Putin warned Ukraine not to join NATO, then invaded even when they didn't. Finland now has nothing to lose by joining NATO and are in a position to do so rapidly, splitting Russia's attention. This was a massive unforced error on Putin's part.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Josef bugman posted:

Also I don't think dropping AK-47's is a good idea. Not least because, well, arming people who have no experience of using firearms is likely to result in an awful lot of people either killing their families, each other, or forces on their own side that they are confused about.
Conscriptions in Ukraine ended in 2013, but there are probably many people that still remember how to use firearms

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Pablo Bluth posted:

Must be going well enough that Zelenskyy can get out of whatever basement he's been working from. (Or fog of war old photos)

https://twitter.com/AsaadHannaa/status/1496963117288468483?t=BHKPK9RCtNq1t4r6K9iQUw&s=19

FishBulbia posted:

old photos

from december

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukrainian-president-zelenskiy-holding-talks-with-biden-adviser-says-2021-12-09/

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

its an actual government title and SUMMONING THE OLIGARCHS is a constitutional ritual steeped in history and tradition dating back to Kyivan Rus'

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Hiro Protagonist posted:

It's not a specific title. Oligarch comes from the Greek form of governments outlined by I want to say Plato? Rule by the one is either Tyranny or Monarchy, rule by the few is Oligarchy or Aristocracy, rule by the many is Democracy. Usually Plato holds that Aristocracy is best.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Am I understanding correctly that the bulk of Russian forces are still engaged east of the Dnieper? Did they push across the Belarusian border as well?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Dwesa posted:

Conscriptions in Ukraine ended in 2013, but there are probably many people that still remember how to use firearms

Conscription restarted in 2014 after the start of the civil war.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Shooting Blanks posted:

It was more than a bloody nose, it's one of the better known modern Pyrrhic victories. More to the point - Finland maintained sovereignty (albeit after ceding territory).

The most important point has already been made though - Putin warned Ukraine not to join NATO, then invaded even when they didn't. Finland now has nothing to lose by joining NATO and are in a position to do so rapidly, splitting Russia's attention. This was a massive unforced error on Putin's part.

Yeah if a glut of nations want to suddenly join NATO right now Putin's way too bogged down to do much about it.

The veiled threat of the iron fist is gone: it's already elsewhere punching

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

punishedkissinger posted:

Am I understanding correctly that the bulk of Russian forces are still engaged east of the Dnieper? Did they push across the Belarusian border as well?

The bulk of the russian forces are not engaged. 2/3rds of the forces moved to the Ukranian border are still waiting to be deployed.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Dwesa posted:

I still think arming people who are out of uniform seems, erm, worrying from a lot of different perspectives. I understand why its happening, but I am still not exactly sure it is going to end well.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

MikeC posted:

Reason dictates that the guys who have invaded you in 2014, keep tearing up your agreements and invaded you two days ago will not bother respecting any agreement you make with them now.

Any sort of agreement done now is essentially capitulation and total occupation by Russia, because this is essentially what Russia has been telling everybody as their objectives, loud and clear.

The alternative is to keep fighting, make occupation as costly as possible, take away any veneer of justification for this war and hope Russian public support (or at least the Oligarchs' support) sufficiently tanks that they have to pull back.

Obviously this takes a heavy toll on the Ukrainian population, but any agreement with Russia now means the end of Ukraine today, or a second war for freedom in 10 years.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

punishedkissinger posted:

Yeah. 2 troop groups entered through Belarus, and 2 more are massing inside Belarus (towards Lviv, rather than Kyiv).

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
being a non-NATO member and gambling heavily on being merely sufficiently politically close to the US to fold into NATO in 90 minutes no longer seems a safe bet either

Russia is demonstrating that it's insane and paranoid; the US is demonstrating that it does indeed intend to give being in an actual alliance of mutual defence or not being in that alliance some teeth given its newfound political weariness (and wariness) with boots on the ground. If anything, the post-Cold-War downsizing of militaries has increased this danger, since it makes a commitment to a limited but still overwhelming (for a small periphery country) strike plausible.

plus, with the Baltics, Sweden and Finland no longer have a monopoly on being the only nominally independent front that can border the Soviet Union

MikeC posted:

... Which is a bananas proposition and why Zelensky is so bitter when he talks of the West. ...

I mean, he does need to motivate his people to fight rather than hope for an intervention

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This would absolutely be the perfect time for rapid membership for anyone else wanting to join NATO along with equally rapid deployment of defensive international troops.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

TulliusCicero posted:

Yeah if a glut of nations want to suddenly join NATO right now Putin's way too bogged down to do much about it.

How veiled? After all that's happened I can only say I'm less convinced Putin wouldn't just throw his hands up and start lobbing nukes as a final 'gently caress You' to the world how dare you think you're going out above me!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

I still think arming people who are out of uniform seems, erm, worrying from a lot of different perspectives. I understand why its happening, but I am still not exactly sure it is going to end well.

Yeah I really really hope it doesn't come to this, but 'all military aged men are part of the resistance now' definitely has troubling ramifications.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

I would agree, fwiw, I get why but I can't help but think it's just going to lead to a lot of dead people who might otherwise not be.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah. 2 troop groups entered through Belarus, and 2 more are massing inside Belarus (towards Lviv, rather than Kyiv).

this seems really tenuous strategically, for Ukraine

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TulliusCicero posted:

i mean finland is speeding towards nato memembership now.

https://twitter.com/ichbinilya/status/1497189863522652160

gently caress putin.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

CommieGIR posted:

Why do you keep pretending Putin wants to talk about ANYTHING? The demands are already set. Putin is not going to change them, he's winning.

Because there is a better alternative for him than full time occupation?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Most of them were in positions of power/influence during the dissolution of the Soviet Union, and bought (sold themselves) state industries for a nickel.*

* may be a gross oversimplification, at least for the current crop of oligarchs.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/EJ_Burrows/status/1497252061678813187?s=20&t=zaDN7AZ6ymOyyiKgRV8j4Q

We have suffered no casualties. Believe us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I also must note that I'd rather we all didn't die in a nuclear war. So anything that'd prevent that would be great.