Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ymgve posted:

It's in the ruins south of the dragon swamp in the starting area

Also disappointed that you can dodge out of the teleport effect but the chest just closes again, there's no item there

edit: considering restarting the game because I used my sword keys on the portal at the start of the game and that was may too much poison and death for me

Thank you! I'm a little more confident now but lmao that you could feasibly stumble on this like 30 minutes into the game. Also don't stress it, there are a lot of sword keys and a lot of gates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I have this little red square on my status bar with a down arrow. I'm assuming it means an HP reduction of some kind, but I have no idea what's causing it. I even unequipped everything and it's still there.

Don't worry, there's absolutely zero way of telling what it's actually doing to you because there's nothing in the player status info (that I can find at least) that will explain it! gently caress you!

Sorry you have a case of the Red Square.

edit: I also have it and it's pissing me off too.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Don't worry, there's absolutely zero way of telling what it's actually doing to you because there's nothing in the player status info (that I can find at least) that will explain it! gently caress you!

Yeah I haven't figured these out either.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
So far I jumped in a pit, clowned a mini? Boss there, and now met Santa. Why are there two ways to summon this seems odd.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The two times I noticed that square/red x icon was when I got invaded by an NPC (so I couldn't use the mount) and after getting teleported by a chest. I assume in the latter case it was to let me know that I couldn't fast travel until I traveled to a bonfire the old fashioned way.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Wondering how much Str or Dex I should be adding to my build as a mage. I've pretty much just been spamming sorceries and I'm not quite sure how much of an investment into other stats than int, end, and vigor is gonna be prudent since all my damage comes from Sorcery right now. Anyone got some moderate suggestions? Cause I also don't know how much longer I can live on magic alone

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

lol I got transported to an extremely difficult area and I can't teleport back to the starting area. Do I have to start over?

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Loving it so far. The starting spell that Prisoner gets (delayed magic knives) is the bees knees, and I found a masked sorcery vendor with Magic Weapon—which I conveniently was able to use with a freshly found Uchigatana. With those plus the wolves, I was able to narrowly take down Margit at level 19.

But that wasn't before I ended up in the (trapped chest spoiler) gem mines and didn't know how to fast travel yet, cueing a harrowing horseride back through the hellswamp. Lol at Mildred showing up. That's up there in terms of the myriad bonkers ways I've died so far.

Probably taken down about four boss-level threats (with two on the back burner) at this point and I like the variety so far. And still plenty to explore.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

blue squares posted:

lol I got transported to an extremely difficult area and I can't teleport back to the starting area. Do I have to start over?

If you're in a crystal cavern just book it downwards you'll find a stake and can go outside.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

blue squares posted:

Fast travel? Same thing happened to me earlier and I was able to just fast travel back to the main map.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Trying not to actually read the thread because I don't want to hit any spoilers, but came here to say that the game is currently completely unplayable for me on my machine with a 6700xt and 3600x.

It runs great a max settings until combat and then I get stutters and frame drops that are so bad I literally can not play the game.

I'm sure this will be patched within the next week just wanted to validate anyone with a similar setup that may also be having similar issues.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Frankston posted:

Fast travel? Same thing happened to me earlier and I was able to just fast travel back to the main map.

You can't do it from within there I don't think. You have to go outside.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Any tips for someone who started as Astrologer? Kinda seems like the game boils down to spamming magic and hoping enemies are dead by the time they’re close enough to hit you, and I’m half tempted to respec into something more dynamic. Am I also expected to get some melee going?

And yes, I’ve been boosting HP and stamina.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

blue squares posted:

Nah, but you do need to find a Lost Grace so you can teleport again. Tips: The miners are slow to react but there's a guard that shoots web spikes you need to be wary of. Sprint right out of the hut and down a hill, then down a tunnel. He might have line of sight on you in the tunnel so roll like mad.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

You can't do it from within there I don't think. You have to go outside.

Oh ok, I must have been teleported to a different extremely difficult area lol

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Holy crap I still have not found a catalyst or someone who sells one, I'm starting to regret going Str/Int

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
All of the responses to the game in this thread are the answers to the questions people shout into the ether "What happened to hard games?" "Why does every game hold my hand?" etc

Like the game isn't all that brutal it asks you to be curious and look around on your own, 0/10 unplayable

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

as someone who isn't playing yet, is it likely that anyone has finished Elden Ring already besides the super speedrunners? Has anyone found any interesting secrets or places where people are discussing those things (properly spoilered for people in the thread who don't want to know anything like that)?

I've played several Soulsbornes but it's my first time watching a launch for one so closely so I am very intrigued to see what kind of fun easter eggs and secrets or lore tidbits people uncover

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Destro posted:

Wondering how much Str or Dex I should be adding to my build as a mage. I've pretty much just been spamming sorceries and I'm not quite sure how much of an investment into other stats than int, end, and vigor is gonna be prudent since all my damage comes from Sorcery right now. Anyone got some moderate suggestions? Cause I also don't know how much longer I can live on magic alone

In these games, generally spellcasters want to only invest enough points in Str/Dex to equip whatever weapons they want to use. At low levels there doesn't seem to be a ton of benefit in trying to pump up strength for the scaling bonus.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Is there a staff for sorceries you can get very early game if you don't pick astrologer / prisoner for your starting class? I am a wretch, but I wanted to grab some spells and I don't know where to get a staff.

Destro posted:

There are always some weapons that will scale with int. I just went with 16 str and 11 dex because I think that's what you need for the moonlight greatsword in other DS games (which scales off int) and there will be one somewhere in here and that is enough to use most medium shields and stuff.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I want to play but I can't decide on a starting class and/or build. Ugh.

Samurai comes with a Bow, a Katana, and Quality-Build starting stats. It's real good.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Is anyone far enough to know if split scaling weapons are good or bad or actually similar in use to single type damage weapons?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I wish the loading screens were less spoilerific. Some of these places looks like really nice surprises to experience first hand.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Avynte posted:

as someone that bounced off hard from all the previous souls titles, I'm absolutely loving the short return times to boss arenas. finally i can just focus on learning the moves, and practicing different strategies, instead of getting angrier and angrier running back dodging mobs.

This is good to know because I had similar experiences on previous From games but this one looks pretty up my alley.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BTW the adventure guide is basically a ten page pamphlet lol

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

ymgve posted:

I wish the loading screens were less spoilerific. Some of these places looks like really nice surprises to experience first hand.

this post has made me realize that my brain shuts off during loading screens and i just mash controller buttons looking at the little progress bar

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pollyanna posted:

Any tips for someone who started as Astrologer? Kinda seems like the game boils down to spamming magic and hoping enemies are dead by the time they’re close enough to hit you, and I’m half tempted to respec into something more dynamic. Am I also expected to get some melee going?

Yeah you generally are going to want to do some melee too.

On my astrologer I’m using magic to plink away enemies as they come at me and then switching to a big rear end sword for close combat fighting.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I've seen a couple others mention screen tearing. This fixed it for me. It was really bad too.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I have this little red square on my status bar with a down arrow. I'm assuming it means an HP reduction of some kind, but I have no idea what's causing it. I even unequipped everything and it's still there.

GreatGreen posted:

edit: I also have it and it's pissing me off too.

You have this because you let the lady hug you. it trades HP for poise.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Pollyanna posted:

I feel the same way. It’s feeling a bit trivial so far but admittedly it’s very early. I’ve been spicing it up by stealthing when I can and switching to my melee weapon when things get tight. Overall it’s been fun but I am seriously wrecking everything

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I think I'm gonna reroll now that I know the world and game a bit better. Optimize more.

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
Good Morning!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I just read a tweet in response to someone being mad as hell about being bombarded with ELDEN RING news saying that "this is our wrestlemania" and I'm still laughing

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Substandard posted:

Is there a staff for sorceries you can get very early game if you don't pick astrologer / prisoner for your starting class? I am a wretch, but I wanted to grab some spells and I don't know where to get a staff.

I found one real early, but there are some spoilers to find it. It wasn't in the first bandit camp or anything. Everyone else is stumbling onto the area though.

If you go to burned village by the big lake and open the chest in the basement you'll soon be exploring a magic town and can find one on a rooftop.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Deviant posted:

I think I'm gonna reroll now that I know the world and game a bit better. Optimize more.

I rerolled last night and it was definitely worth it. Played for 2 hours and made as much progress as I did in 7 hours on my first character.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Deviant posted:

You have this because you let the lady hug you. it trades HP for poise.

How do you get rid of it though? Use the item given to you?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Could someone please tell me where to get some casting gear? Still haven't found any.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I guess my confusion with melee builds is how you're supposed to deal with bosses.

It's not like you can block a lot of their big huge swings, and when you try it's just "lmao get rekt nerd"

Which in turn leaves me wondering if i should reroll as a less screwed up caster or figure something else out

Edit: I guess if i rerolled caster, I'd want to just int up to use my staff, then go hard into vigor/mind for support? Ie more sustainability instead of trying to two shot bosses?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 25, 2022

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I found a merchant that sells the Astrologer's gear!!! North of the Church of Irith in the Liurna of the Lakes, 16 int requirement though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Deviant posted:

I guess my confusion with melee builds is how you're supposed to deal with bosses.

It's not like you can block a lot of their big huge swings, and when you try it's just "lmao get rekt nerd"

Which in turn leaves me wondering if i should reroll as a less screwed up caster or figure something else out

Dodge, block what you can, stagger them and critical hit them.

Dodging to the left is a tried and true strategy.

Also, if you’re struggling there are always summons: the item ones and the npc ones and the coop ones.

The dark souls series is hard but also provides a ton of tools to make it easier.