Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Third World Reagan posted:

First warcamp, somewhere safe. It is your recruitment building.

Later warcamps, where ever you want. Delete them and move them as you need but you can get a lot.

Be careful were you plonk down camps though as they'll inflict a raiding diplomatic malus against everyone except allies. This can become annoying if you start tanking your allies' opinions of you because you're raiding someone they like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
When someone gets all 4 souls, you get a pop up warning you.

You may also get a quest to intercept them and they will stay wounded for 15 turns.

You will have access to the forge of souls teleport but not the last battle unless you have 4 souls of your own.

I wish we could steal them.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Angrymantium posted:

Playing a game as Daemon Prince right now with that Slaanesh Paramour follower that buffs growth in your main provinces and reduces enemy public order by 50 in enemy territories is a blast even if I'm a soul behind in the Great Game. I'm honestly not sure I can win the soul race long term but being able to teleport to the leader's capital and start a chain of rebellions when the portals open does spice the game up.

Is the game over if a faction makes it into the forge of souls before me though? Cathay currently has three souls, and I'm not exactly sure how intercepting then works since going into the Forge of Souls just puts you on a platform that you can't move from. I assume that if another faction makes it in before me with all four souls, I can't actually catch them.

They have to pass through that plattform to actually get to the forge, so you can intercept them there.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

My favorite thing about the Realm of Tzeentch is when you come out of a portal onto a dead-end "side" of it, and trying to move anywhere else on the island just sends you back through the portal. Such an incredibly well-designed and engaging mechanic!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Angrymantium posted:

Playing a game as Daemon Prince right now with that Slaanesh Paramour follower that buffs growth in your main provinces and reduces enemy public order by 50 in enemy territories is a blast even if I'm a soul behind in the Great Game. I'm honestly not sure I can win the soul race long term but being able to teleport to the leader's capital and start a chain of rebellions when the portals open does spice the game up.

Is the game over if a faction makes it into the forge of souls before me though? Cathay currently has three souls, and I'm not exactly sure how intercepting then works since going into the Forge of Souls just puts you on a platform that you can't move from. I assume that if another faction makes it in before me with all four souls, I can't actually catch them.

the other factions don't have perfect accuracy and go 4 for 4 on the souls race, you can catch up. I have done so in multiple games since I usually like to take a bribe from Slaanesh too.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

:thunk:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

lol

lmao

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

neonchameleon posted:

For the record this isn't so. They've a base MD 24 and leadership 55 and according to the unit browser Battle Harmony is +6 to MD and leadership with a max of +12 (via amplifiers). Ordinary unshielded T0 Empire Spears are MD34 and leadership 60 and the same unit size - and T1 shielded spears are MD42. And it's the same unit sizes. They're just your standard spear chaff and not that good at it.

What charge defence do they have? Because I have a vague memory of it being expert, at the very least they seem exceptionally good at taking charges for their cost, even from infantry.

E: also you can recruit them at level 6 with a minor building which may help.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 25, 2022

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
If anyone is interested in trying out the new domination game mode, we're having our first warhammer 3 tournament! It'll start in one week from now and we'll be taking sign ups till then.

It's a casual, domination mode tournament so all skill levels are welcome. If you're interested, we use the "fight night" room of the total goonhammer discord ((https://discord.gg/gjDJUpQ)) to organize pvp and tourneys.

The challonge page to register for the tourney: https://challonge.com/TW3ODB

quote:

Da Rulez:

-Domination mode: the maps will be assigned in advance.

-Most rounds will be best of 3, with the finals and grand finals being best of 5.

-Double elimination: You have to lose two rounds to be eliminated. The first defeat will move you to the lower bracket, where you'll still have a chance to advance to the grand finals.

-The only current rule on units: A limit of one Ogre Ironblaster. That includes the deployed army and reinforcing army. No more than one total.

-Try to fight at least one opponent per week. If your opponent goes more than a week without scheduling your matches, please message @Sammut#6134 on the discord (https://discord.gg/gjDJUpQ) and I will try to resolve the issue or d/q any players not responding to hails.

-Unit size* set to "Large", funds also "Large", "Unit Caps" box checked on, 20 minute timer.

*This option can be found at the Options > Graphics > Advanced > Unit size (bottom left), only the host of the lobby needs to have this set.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Doomykins posted:

You are correct, the last time I hovered over the harmony icon it said +12 and I took that for granted as the default. Checked in-game and it's a flat +12 if a Dragon LL is nearby for the +100% bonus to harmony. And you're correct about comparing T1 vs T1 units, though I consider Peasant Longspears to be actual chaff units, i.e. T0. I use them the same way as I would Skavenslaves, Peasant Mob or Zombies and they recruit from base settlement buildings with Jade Warriors being T1 Barracks building. And for chaff they're great. The +6 free ranks or super cheap recruit cost buildings are themselves ultra cheap and fast to build as well and once you have enough settlements Peasants global recruit at regular cost and in 1 turn.

Pretty much - but Empire Spears and Empire Archers are also T0. And the +6 free ranks/super cheap recruit cost buildings are your + Control economy buildings - which isn't something I have much problems with as Cathay as +8 control from Harmony is a lot. I'd rather eco or growth buildings, plus reinforced defences. The thing is there aren't really arguments for peasant archers if you have the infrastructure for jade warrior crossbows (unless you're trying to only have the stack around for a turn); the cost effectiveness for doing damage is just better and you shouldn't be having your archers flee unless the battle's lost anyway. There's still a case for the spearmen (largely against large foes) of course. If you're playing Miao Yang then your recruitment should be done on the bastion as much as possible; there's a cost reduction and rank increase for everything building and you can recruit teracotta sentinels from there directly. Or you can use the bastion to stash a spare army...

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

PerilPastry posted:

Can someone give me an rundown on the Ogres? In particular I'm wondering where to plonk down my war camps

Later on it's nice to have them in the middle of your empire because they can spit out heroes to close rifts.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Carcer posted:

I like that they've changed ambush battles so that ambushed armies can escape if they handle it properly. It actually makes it a race to tangle them up and let as little get away as you can instead of the AI just marching to a point, stopping and going braindead.

Pro-tip: You should ABSOLUTELY walk into ambushes as ogres or nurgle in most cases. Free loving blobing and the enemy lines are coming to you?!?! Incredible~

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fQed42fl4lKTYXEmpU27OrlhYWZqX0VI/view?usp=sharing

A little fight between myself as Ku'Gath and Tzarina in the chaos realms. Don't want to share it because I think I played awesome or anything. I just want to share how fun Nurgle battles can be and in particular how fun field battles in the chaos realms are. To be fair, six mega bears is less of an issue here than maybe six more ice guard for her doom stack (in fact in the beginning watch as my plagueridden discovers the ice guard unit and is like "oh gently caress ouch" and calls down the mortars on it) and please don't watch me linger to get off some last heals because that is boring unless you want to see what a Nurgle army looks like after it's hit by a Kislev doom stack (barely scratched) but shortly after victory it does feature some empire crossbowmen falling into a volcano as they run back to Altdorf. What you have here is simply a glorious field battle in a beautiful thematic setting (look at the terrain and see how it is designed for nurgle armies to use well) that are like regularly scheduled loot pinatas throughout a pretty standard domination campaign that yes, can't rely on your LL who is busy a lot of the time making $$ and allows you to develop some really cool generic Lords who are actually on the front lines. And if all this isn't clicking for you and the chaos realms are just loving up any progress you are possibly making like good lord man lower that difficulty and enjoy the game you have purchased.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

First warcamp, somewhere safe. It is your recruitment building.

Later warcamps, where ever you want. Delete them and move them as you need but you can get a lot.

Also you can make some extra money by putting down a camp and transferring your units into it before ending the turn, so they get the upkeep reduction. Especially if it's your main (doom)stack, you'll earn a lot more than the cost of the camp by doing this.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

Even better, if you pay attention to the AI messages, they send agents to do that action on ruins all the time. Feels like something wasn't working quite right last minute and they had to turn if off in a messy fashion.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I think checking for skaven counts as a treasure hunt

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Before they implemented the puzzles, they had those CYOA prompts. Were those results fixed or RNG?

It always feels a little bad to see a feature go, but I don’t think either the CYOA or puzzles were what should have been there. The CYOA prompts had you take a risk and end your movement for an ambiguous reward or even punishment. The puzzles just don’t feel like they fit with the game. I don’t have an answer as to what the ruin searching mechanic should look like.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

The puzzles just don’t feel like they fit with the game. I don’t have an answer as to what the ruin searching mechanic should look like.
Gove the ability to assign retinues of ~4 units to a hero. When you search ruins with them, you trigger a melee battle with the local denizens of the ruin. Or failing actively controlling the retinue, just make it so that triggering a search battle gives some allied units that are somewhat variable.

I'm thinking something like the intervention forces you can send as the Empire.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Speaking of outdated systems, climate seems especially irrelevant this go-round.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cathay is sort of climate limited as they only really seem happy in their own little bit, but kislev has habitability across the whole empire, mountains, and frozen territories, which is basically everywhere remotely near them.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

Before they implemented the puzzles, they had those CYOA prompts. Were those results fixed or RNG?

They were RNG, but each choice had different potential outcomes.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

Randallteal posted:

Speaking of outdated systems, climate seems especially irrelevant this go-round.

See, okay, I think its actually better than its ever been, but they didn't really message it well. As far as I can tell, the campaign is specifically designed to enable tall play and enable different approaches per faction at the campaign level meta, not just "what is my roster? When does my economy come online?". I think how strong a lot of the campaign mechanics for factions are this go around (yea yea, they aren't all perfect, directionally) reinforces this thesis. Cathay is ABOUT unifying the empire (the no confed the LLs for the factions seems like a huge oversight here unless further down the line they plan to add some dynastic fight/schism thing ala twh2 empire) and protecting your land against the oncoming chaos threats while loosely allying with the ogres to keep your mountains and caravans safe. Kislev is about solidifying the core and then taking the fight straight TO chaos because you need to free/save Ursun, not just use him for info. So on and so forth. And climate per faction/LL is key to making that all work.

To be clear, this isn't an argument against them maybe doing something more interesting with it, but I think they're using it much better in this campaign than in the previous games.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

I can auto resolve them though. Literally auto resolve garrison fights and win.

I don't think Ive ever had a garrison listed as an auto resolve winner unless it was against an army I'd already beat up elsewhere. I am playing on VH tho.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Dr Christmas posted:

It always feels a little bad to see a feature go, but I don’t think either the CYOA or puzzles were what should have been there. The CYOA prompts had you take a risk and end your movement for an ambiguous reward or even punishment. The puzzles just don’t feel like they fit with the game. I don’t have an answer as to what the ruin searching mechanic should look like.

I love the puzzles. After doing a bunch of tough battles it's like the mental equivalent of a mint or a sorbet between courses.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Gove the ability to assign retinues of ~4 units to a hero. When you search ruins with them, you trigger a melee battle with the local denizens of the ruin. Or failing actively controlling the retinue, just make it so that triggering a search battle gives some allied units that are somewhat variable.

I'm thinking something like the intervention forces you can send as the Empire.

Pfft, clearly we need a Darkest Dungeon/Mordheim minigame!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Eschatos posted:

I don't think Ive ever had a garrison listed as an auto resolve winner unless it was against an army I'd already beat up elsewhere. I am playing on VH tho.

yah it is dumb how auto resolve is more punishing based on campaign difficulty in a linear fashion

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/t07jsg/the_effect_of_difficulty_level_on_autoresolve/

but you still have options to manually sally out and do a field fight

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

TaintedBalance posted:

Even better, if you pay attention to the AI messages, they send agents to do that action on ruins all the time. Feels like something wasn't working quite right last minute and they had to turn if off in a messy fashion.

Hell if you just mouse over a ruin the game tells you that you can search them for treasure too (playing Skarbrand gives you a lot of ruins to look at). It's gotta be something that broke and coming back once they fix it cause I don't see why they would take it out in the first place otherwise.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The game lost nothing for them being removed.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Man I love the puzzles, they're a fun brain teaser to go to the steam community page where someone posted all the solutions so you can get free stuff.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

You could always change the difficulty right before an auto resolve, but that would be annoying :/

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The cube puzzle was good because it was dead easy.
The 4x4 puzzle was a fun reason to whip out some markers.
The concentric ring puzzle was loving stupid, I just had a photoshop window open on the other monitor every time. I really, really want to know who playtested those.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
But why was every single ruin across the entire world and it's puzzles lizard-man themed?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
The Old Ones

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

But why was every single ruin across the entire world and it's puzzles lizard-man themed?

If they don't actually do something fun with the system when they bring it back, I might just make a mod trying to attack this very problem. I loosely noodled one together for game 2 but got distracted with game 3 on the horizon.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Yeah not a big fan of those autoresolve changes, def something for a mod to fix. Although a side effect of it has probably taught me how to play minor settlement battles properly so far.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I know I’m not the first or last to say it but fuuuuuck I hate fighting tzeentch.

Nash fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 26, 2022

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

TaintedBalance posted:

Pro-tip: You should ABSOLUTELY walk into ambushes as ogres or nurgle in most cases. Free loving blobing and the enemy lines are coming to you?!?! Incredible~

also skarbrand. I'm not locked in here with you...

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So you get ogres in East Oblast when you play as Kislev and the fucker advisor doesn't even say Ogre my lords? This game is poo poo.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I feel like ogres blob easily but are way, way better used cycle charging and abusing their mass to charge one section of the enemy at a time. In a big blob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Quite annoyed to learn that Miao Ying is incapable of capturing points. Tried to pull a N'Kari and run to the main capture point of a siege and got jack poo poo for it.