Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bandai Namco paid Joel Haver to make an animation. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MW-qdNoYA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007
Just checking in to add to the list of goons who've gotten this to play on potato rear end hardware. I'm running this on an i5 4590 because I just priced myself out of upgrading after I bought a new GPU. Game still runs pretty good though - I have been noticing some moderate pop in and idk if it's a bug or what but I can pretty reliably get the enemies near the Gatefront Ruins to become invisible (they still attack, it sucks) if I stay there long enough. I haven't had this issue in any other area, though. Sometimes Torrent becomes invisible for a second or two, but I think Zullie the Witch found that bug in the network test.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I sat down at a grace and immediately left to take care of something else, and when I came back the level up NPC was apparently talking to me and asked me something. Now I’m in some weird place with a big table. What did I miss?

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah you generally are going to want to do some melee too.

On my astrologer I’m using magic to plink away enemies as they come at me and then switching to a big rear end sword for close combat fighting.

👍

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
RB+A to two hand weapons sucks the big one but otherwise goty

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Is there a maximum number of flasks you can carry?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Pollyanna posted:

I sat down at a grace and immediately left to take care of something else, and when I came back the level up NPC was apparently talking to me and asked me something. Now I’m in some weird place with a big table. What did I miss?

"Yo would you like to go to a weird place? Y/N"

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

its crazy how good this game is. Souls with its loop of exploration and combat works perfectly in the open world

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
What's up with the Iron Round Shield you get from the beach merchant by the demi human cave?

I don't even have parry as an option, but if I hit R2 after a block it does the critical attack no matter what. Even after blocking arrows.

Also, if you get stuck in the game, just explore more. I was expecting like flaming demons or something as I ran past a giant into a new map area, and it was just wolves along the path until you find the next grace area.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Am I right in thinking ashes of war is like infusions and changes the scaling of a weapon and won't be consumed if I do it?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

beep by grandpa posted:

Why are people rolling Wretcheds?

for me it's because i don't know what area i'm gonna focus on yet. need to figure out what has changed, what i feel like playing as - if you pick wretched, it's a blank slate with every stat at 10 and you go from there.

starting equipment will all be replaced/available at some point anyway.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

It's a dating sim now, ask her her interests and order something expensive

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Pollyanna posted:

Lady said she was just kidding earlier about believing in you but now she totally does and let’s you go to the secret clubhouse

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got owned so hard by Margit I got welcomed into Valhalla

DeathChicken posted:

"Yo would you like to go to a weird place? Y/N"

Pictured: Elden Ring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k55XINYFpyA

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Jose posted:

Am I right in thinking ashes of war is like infusions and changes the scaling of a weapon and won't be consumed if I do it?

Yeah you can switch ashes around as much as you want with no cost. They're not consumed.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Captain Oblivious posted:

To miss some of these you have to have a SERIOUS allergy to investigating landmarks :v:

The third one is visible from where you first set foot in the open world!

The only one I found on my own was the horse.

I guess the things I try to go investigate are not the things it wants me to. And in some cases I think I've seen everything in an area when clearly I haven't.

Regardless I gotta get a list going 'cause I'm down to wander blindly but I'd like to have all the main mechanics available while I do so. First boss would probably be easier with more'n just the rink-a-dink starting gear.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

these boss fights are kicking my rear end lol. ive managed to take down 4 so far but if you werent good at dodging those fakeout delayed swings in big combos in ds3 youre going to have to learn how to.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hammer Bro. posted:

The only one I found on my own was the horse.

I guess the things I try to go investigate are not the things it wants me to. And in some cases I think I've seen everything in an area when clearly I haven't.

Regardless I gotta get a list going 'cause I'm down to wander blindly but I'd like to have all the main mechanics available while I do so. First boss would probably be easier with more'n just the rink-a-dink starting gear.

Buildings. You should probably be investigating buildings.

Like ruined churches that are, hypothetically, in your field of view immediately.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jose posted:

Yes, and you also have the option to just equip the weapon art without changing scaling.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I have family over this weekend so I can’t play until Sunday.

Game good?

its insanely good

also everybody remember to add LLJK to your multiplayer passwords!

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 25, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I strongly recommend following these starting steps for new players, this will unlock your mount, ashes of war, and spirit summoning right away, and those 3 things enable a whole lot more progress. Spoiled for the sake of anyone who wants to go in blind but I don't recommend it for these 3 early things.

1) from the starting area, proceed forward until you get to a boss fight. You need to either die or win the fight, either one.

2) after the fight you'll be in a new area. There is a ghost sitting in a chair next to a hole in the ground. Jump in that hole if you would like to do the tutorial, otherwise leave through the other door in the room.

3) light the bonfire outside. Look around and you'll see a church. Head to that church next, don't fight the big horseback man yet.

4) at the church talk to the vendor and light the bonfire. This vendor sells the crafting kit for 300 runes and a torch for 100 runes. You want to buy them both. There is also a blacksmith's anvil at the Church, approaching and looting it opens up weapon upgrading.

4) to the northwest ish side of the church is a series of high cliffs/precipices you can climb. Climb to the top and interact with the statue.

5) go to the location the statue points you toward to find a catacomb. Clear the boss of that catacomb.

6) return to any bonfire and rest. An npc should appear to give you your mount. If not, just run around for a while, find new bonfires, kill things, whatever - until you trigger the mount scene at a bonfire.

7) go back to the church bonfire and there should be a new npc there. Rest if they don't show up. if it doesn't seem to trigger, explore for a bit again and make sure you run around on your horse, then come back to the church. When the npc is there, talk to them to receive the ability to use spirit summons

8) Proceed up the road to the north from the church until you get to the Gate Ruins. Clear it and look for stairs leading down into the ground. Go down the stairs and open the treasure chest to get the final piece of the puzzle here, the item that lets you equip ashes of war.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 25, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
If you can change weapon scaling then is there a good reason to even level the other damage stat? It's either Str or Dex right?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

SUCK IT BEASTMAN OF FARAM SOMETHING

first named boss down :smug:

seriously I'm dying nonstop so it feels good to knock something off

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

In still stunned GRRM made a deadline

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I noticed you can call the horse with a bow out and then you'll be able to use the bow on the horse, but I can't figure out how to switch TO the bow once you're on horseback, is that possible?

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
How do you gesture?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Just unlocked Sellen. What spells should i buy that are good?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So.

Over the course of a binge session, after killing a loving dragon I went around doing stuff in Limgrave for a while, got into a full on boss fight with Patches that ended the best way that could, got some actual clothes in the bargain, and also beat up a nasty NPC invader man who gave me a sweet dagger, then found a way down to an entirely new zone to the south, wherein I murdered THE QUEEN OF THE DEMI-HUMANS for her sorcery staff and her shotgun spell, found the Minor Erdtree of that area but weenie'd out of attacking the big thing near it,went up into Stormhill, discovered a literal DEATH BIRD that only spawns at night, saved a pot stuck in the ground, went further east, discovered a village of Those Who Live In Death led by a dude in a boat, who I beat up, got invited into some kind of cult or something by a dude in shiny armor who says he works for a Beast Cleric, proceeded further and discovered a church on permanent fire, beat up the invader that spawns there, managed to somehow unlock Roundtable in the process :confused: and then proceeded further and got into a fight with a literal AVATAR OF THE ERDTREE and I used my newfound HOLY POWERS OF FIRE to destroy that Erdtree Avatar, probably dooming that Minor Erdtree in some way, beneath a burning sky. After all this, I went to finally go beat up Margit with the help of my new bleed-heavy dagger, the ability to throw holy fireballs, and with my new skeleton spearman summon buddies who revive like the enemy versions do and only die for real if they're knocked out of the arena or are hit with a holy attack.

This video game is literally everything I was hoping it would be. There have been a few individual sections that felt a little frustrating (the poison swamp key dungeon in the Fringefolk Grave isn't the best design I've seen from From and I'm not a fan of the chariot changing its movement rules in the middle of the puzzle) but by and large it's fantastic. Even Margit felt good; I'd actually place him right about on the same tier as Gasciogne. His attack chains are longer, but the game passively encourages you to pick up a fair chunk of Endurance (since it governs both stam and equip load here) so it's clear they want you to react a bit. And I mean, they deliberately gave him the easiest run-back I've ever seen in a Souls game.

Performance remains really good on my end with the GTX 970 and i5 6600; I did finally see a Long Freeze, but I suspect I know precisely why it's happening (it happened when a dragonfly was spinning me around like a top, and what I think is going on is that their LoD methods are still culling everything not on the screen, including the new shaders, so if you get spun around a whole lot by things like a dragonfly or the Tree Sentinel in the open world, the game's going to chug because it's trying to load and re-load the assets several times over and keeps trying to "catch up"). That's hopefully something they can optimize, but it's gonna be an issue for a while.

Still, it's only going to be a problem on certain, specific enemies, and everything else is just relentlessly wonderful. I am glad this videogame exists. :unsmith:

Stefan Prodan posted:

I noticed you can call the horse with a bow out and then you'll be able to use the bow on the horse, but I can't figure out how to switch TO the bow once you're on horseback, is that possible?

Equip it in your right hand. You can cycle through right-hand weapons as normal on horseback.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ok so im swapping from sorceror because there are so many cool weapons i wanna try, jsut pewpewing is boring when i could be greatswording or hammering bitches. I may mix in some faith later, i guess i should go confessor?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

queeb posted:

ok so im swapping from sorceror because there are so many cool weapons i wanna try, jsut pewpewing is boring when i could be greatswording or hammering bitches. I may mix in some faith later, i guess i should go confessor?

I went Prophet when I restarted for the same reason, it starts with enough Strength that with just 4 points you can use the Greatsword one-handed or the Large Club two-handed, as well as other strength weapons, while starting off with faith spells :shrug:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Margit is maybe the biggest roadblock boss in a souls game. It's really loving hard to adapt to a boss with multiple 3-6 attack combos.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I've never played a Dark Souls game, but I have played a lot of Fallout. Are there any stats that are universally good, or alternately, any dump stats outside of niche builds?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There’s so many summons by the first boss lol

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Bob Socko posted:

I've never played a Dark Souls game, but I have played a lot of Fallout. Are there any stats that are universally good, or alternately, any dump stats outside of niche builds?

Unfortunately resistance, the most useful stat in the games historically, was removed because it made things way too easy.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

NeurosisHead posted:

Margit is maybe the biggest roadblock boss in a souls game. It's really loving hard to adapt to a boss with multiple 3-6 attack combos.

Yeah, I consider myself decent at Souls game, but Margit is no loving joke, especially since he can easily be the first real boss you fight.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

I've just swap to the bow as the active weapon and then just RB to shoot.

If you're real good you can zoom in and control the horse moving forward in FPS mode.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Universally you need to level strength and dex to some minimum number to properly wield certain weapons. Ditto faith(?) and int for spells. And you only need to exceed those minimums when you know you will get good scaling. If you aren't sure where to put points more hp is always safe.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I started out as a wretch, as many recommended.
A bit annoyed that I found almost no equipment before finding shops for the category. Except for greatswords, curved greatswords and great-rapier.
Anyways I am planning to spec into sourcery, but I can't find any catalysts. Can someone give me a hint. I found a store that sells talismans, a sorcery seller without staffs, a city of sorcery with dad-mask sorcerers that kick my rear end. But no catalysts.
Can anybody give me a tip?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

NotNut posted:

I'm getting weird framerate drops. They always happen when I pass certain areas and drop the framerate to about 5 FPS, but if I stand there for a second they go away. It feels almost like the game's loading something. My GPU usage also decreases when they happen, like something is forcing the game not to render as fast as it should rather than my card not being able to keep up. Does this happen to anyone else?

Yes, it's your rig loading the next area. The data streaming isn't as slick as it is in BotW, but considering how big the world is and how much is packed into it, kinda understandable.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I’m starting to get a bit concerned about how much of this game I’ll play. Luckily there’s nothing else I want to play for the foreseeable future. It’s very, very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Harold Fjord posted:

Universally you need to level strength and dex to some minimum number to properly wield certain weapons. Ditto faith(?) and int for spells. And you only need to exceed those minimums when you know you will get good scaling. If you aren't sure where to put points more hp is always safe.

What are they? I'm at 10 str and 18 dex already starting from wretched.