Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Glimm posted:

I'm not sure when this was made or exactly where it is but the background isn't super generic:

https://twitter.com/MisterFed/status/1497255140151238659

This is near president's administration in Kyiv, supposedly shortly after Russian media tried claiming that he has fled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mokotow posted:

At the border now between Poland and Ukraine. Absolute mess, cold, terrified people coming through every once in a while. Since there’s no organization, me and some likeminded people waiting but despite the government announcements people will be free to go through, only cars are coming. I already have contacts to someone on the other side but they’re saying it’ll be two hours for them to cross. gently caress its cold.

Badass, dude. You're almost certainly saving some lives. Stay safe!

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/zakavkaza/status/1497252499127943172

I think folks are concerned about how China would respond if a raid backed by nuclear blackmail turns out to work out just great. On that note:

https://twitter.com/Jardine_bradley/status/1497262350361145345

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mokotow posted:

At the border now between Poland and Ukraine. Absolute mess, cold, terrified people coming through every once in a while. Since there’s no organization, me and some likeminded people waiting but despite the government announcements people will be free to go through, only cars are coming. I already have contacts to someone on the other side but they’re saying it’ll be two hours for them to cross. gently caress its cold.

You're a champion for doing this. :patriot:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I entirely understand the instinctive response to fight for what you believe is important, but I am more skeptical at the cynicism of encouraging that response and supplying arms to turn people into cannon fodder for what might not do a whole lot of good.

The desire to fight is understandable, but a government encouraging its civilians to throw themselves into battle is more than toeing the line between understandable and exploiting their emotions, imo. In the moment I don't doubt it is heroic, and afterwards I don't doubt they'll be remembered in song and story, but more importantly, they'll be dead.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 25, 2022

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Update from Chernihiv:
Lots of noise explosions in the morning.
The building that's burning is the SSU.
A few bridges were destroyed by Ukrainians.
Ukrainians were intercepting missiles or possibly aircraft.

It is quiet now, apparently.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Moscow suggesting Belarus as the negotiation spot does not make me feel this effort at peace talks is being done in good faith!

BigglesSWE posted:

One is a fluke, three strikes seem like a pattern. I guess they're trying to stop shipping to Ukraine?
Has there been any indication that these ships were even headed to Ukraine? I mean, that would be a logical reason for doing this, but it really seems like they're just blasting away at random.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I don't agree with anyone who thinks Putin is going to have demands that are all palatable to Ukraine, but painting him as an irrational and unreasonable lunatic is also nonsense. This is the outcome of geopolitical jockeying over the status of Ukraine since 2013. Russia's choices are bad for everyone except Russia, and it's up to the international community to also make it a bad choice for Russia.

He is a lunatic
He started a full scale invasion of a neighbor with zero rationale behind it
If he had any marbles left in his brain he would have done the usual soft power/buying out of politicians after Yanukovich failed. Instead whole world sees through the charade.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

I entirely understand the instinctive response to fight for what you believe is important, but I am more skeptical at the cynicism of encouraging that response and supplying arms to turn people into cannon fodder for what might not do a whole lot of good.

The desire to fight is understandable, but a government encouraging its civilians to throw themselves into battle is more than toeing the line between understandable and exploiting their emotions, imo.

Individuals have agency. If they choose to fight and want help, we can try to provide some of that help. Give the Ukrainian people the smallest amount of respect by acknowledging their choice to fight for their homeland, man.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Zero_Grade posted:

Moscow suggesting Belarus as the negotiation spot does not make me feel this effort at peace talks is being done in good faith!

Has there been any indication that these ships were even headed to Ukraine? I mean, that would be a logical reason for doing this, but it really seems like they're just blasting away at random.

I suspect there was a tongue in cheek motive for Ukraine suggesting Warsaw....

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It doesn't say much good about human nature, but national myths generated during wartime definitely have a galvanising effect on community.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

NATO press conference live now

https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/events_67375.htm

Talking about "Being prepared to pay a price"

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

How are u posted:

Man this is hugely embarrassing and bad for Putin. If the US was implementing this type of invasion we'd have actually done what we'd planned to do. Russian military might is a complete paper tiger, Putin is lucky he has 6,000 nukes to sit on and hold the world hostage with.

Godspeed you brave Ukrainian heroes.
Heh, yeah! I'm sure Putin is super embarrassed and we would have stomped those ukrainians by now...

We also would not attack a country with an army close to the strength of Ukraine. We only pick on countries that can't really fight back. That said, i'm not sure how continually bringing in how the US would have fared does anyone any good, and is a really grim way to discuss a war where poor people on both sides are dying for seemingly no reason.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1497259604119543814 - Long video of someone driving past what I think is a long column of Ukranian armour and support vehicles that's been completely destroyed, outside of Kherson

I dont understand the language, so please correct me if I got it backwards.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dwesa posted:

According to Putin himself, this is result of Lenin inventing Ukraine and Ukrainians.

Very rational.

And even if he has less insane motives (like plain old imperialism), literally every data point the past months proves that he is a liar, his only negotiating technique is lying, and not a single word from his mouth can be trusted. Everything he said to Ukraine was a lie, everything he said to Biden, Macron, Schulz... was a lie. THe only things that were true in any way were his threats. Anybody who'd side with him, saying he's still just a elder statesman looking for a honest talk, is worse than a useful idiot.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I feel like EU decisionmakers are still in "responding to the last crisis" thinking and are pulling out options for things that would be considered final options for an escalation for a frozen conflict scenario, rather than a ground invasion on multiple fronts aimed at occupation and government replacement as if it's still 1956

That's not unexpected as bureaucracy goes, but I think we'll see more creative policy trickle out slowly over the next couple of months

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Mokotow posted:

You're doing great work. I applaud your heroism.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

KitConstantine posted:

NATO press conference live now

Talking about "Being prepared to pay a price"
Oil or Swift price?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How are u posted:

Individuals have agency. If they choose to fight and want help, we can try to provide some of that help. Give the Ukrainian people the smallest amount of respect by acknowledging their choice to fight for their homeland, man.

The cemetaries are full of people with individual agency who probably felt much the same way in their time. I simply do not believe in the idea that a heroic death is commendable, you're just dead either way. I'm sorry, I do not think I can ever think otherwise, I would rather they were still alive to live in that land. I've seen far too many people rationalize their deaths as meaningful, and in the end they are all just dead.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Inferior Third Season posted:

The intersection of expertise and data needed to form a meaningful opinion on this is so esoteric and weird that all discussions like that should be taken with a mountain of salt.

FWIW it was a Swiss meteorologist talking specifically about likelihood of dust in the area.

https://twitter.com/Kachelmann/status/1496980254375743497

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Putin looks pissed lol. He probably genuinely expected to be treated as a liberator and everyone to just lay down their arms. Never get high on your own supply of propaganda

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

This. I understand why Putin is going into Ukraine, even though it's a demonstrably bad a provocative thing to do from a Western perspective. I don't understand at all why they're shooting at commercial ships though - that will eventually get a very different reaction.

It's almost impossible to misidentify a ship these days, so it definitely wasn't by accident. And if it was decisions by some loose cannon naval commander or whoever, they really need to condemn that from the top, own the mistake, promise to execute those responsible or whatever, because gently caress, attacking neutral country merchant ships is really going to escalate things.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

NATO press conference:

Confirmed that they are building up NATO forces on borders, including preparing 100 jets. Said that Russia's pushing to reduce support to allies means that NATO must provide more support - specifically called out Georgia and Moldovia.

Says it's a full fledged invasion of Ukraine and in response to a question of what support will be provided if Kyiv falls says that they are in close contact with the government of Ukraine, monitoring the situation (mealy mouthed platitudes here) - says NATO allies will 'continue to provide military/humanitarian/financial support' to Ukraine, no specifics.

National press agency of Ukraine asked if NATO will provide anti-air weapons to Ukraine - NATO allies confirmed that military equipment support includes potentially suppling anti-air weapons.

Still on-going, btw.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

OwlFancier posted:

The cemetaries are full of people with individual agency who probably felt much the same way in their time. I simply do not believe in the idea that a heroic death is commendable, you're just dead either way. I'm sorry, I do not think I can ever think otherwise, I would rather they were still alive to live in that land. I've seen far too many people rationalize their deaths as meaningful, and in the end they are all just dead.

Good thing you're not leading Ukrainians into quiet deaths in camps and gulags then.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

StarBegotten posted:

Yeah its amazing isnt it?

I have a suspicion that the events on Snake Island where the defending Ukrainian soldiers told the Russians to 'Go gently caress themselves' might be the defining and galvanising moment for most Ukrainians.

It's almost like "Fight or Flight" is a human response to fear and threat, and people have a hard time understanding the "Fight" part of it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How are u posted:

I think some folks just have a hard time imagining that anything is worth dying for.

The average american while draping themselves in the flag would be totally ok surrendering to foreign occupation and a suspension of democracy so long as gas prices were guaranteed low and the supermarket shelves stayed stocked and affordable. The ideal of enduring any sort of hardship, let alone dying, for a cause is totally foreign. Well to white cis male americans anyways, the others ones have to fight and die and sacrifice every day just to maintain their rights. It's just funny because they're the ones loudest and proudest about their country but even something as basic as "wear a thin paper mask sometimes" is too much of a burden to bear to help save the lives of their fellow countrymen.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Oil or Swift price?

Hasn't come up in the question period yet and wasn't part of the initial statement that I heard.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mokotow posted:

It sounds really miserable, I'm glad you're there to welcome some people who are really in need of help! :love:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/guyelster/status/1497265050754682887

that may explain the police cars on the stream

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TheRat posted:

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1497259604119543814 - Long video of someone driving past what I think is a long column of Ukranian armour and support vehicles that's been completely destroyed, outside of Kherson

I dont understand the language, so please correct me if I got it backwards.

You got it right. Dudes in the car speculate that they got caught out with MRLS fire, accents clearly local.

Edit: The convoy itself is nowhere near 15 km long though.

Edit2: Subsequently, they drive past destroyed Russian vehicles. This video is probably a bit less damning than it may feel, but trust Kofman's assessment over mine every time.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 25, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You got it right. Dudes in the car speculate that they got caught out with MRLS fire, accents clearly local.

They also don't appear destroyed, just abandoned. Which, yeah you don't stay in the lightly armored vehicles if artillery is coming.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Re: usefulness of negotiations, there needs to be understanding of what Putin’s objectives actually are. His government has offered several, at different times and to different audiences.
-Protection of the separatist republics
-Guarantee of Ukraine not joining NATO
-cessation of expansion or even rollback of NATO in the region
-“Denazification and demilitarization” of Ukraine — i.e., regime change and occupation

Now, which of these are his core objectives and which are smokescreens? We can draw inferences based on the method he has chosen — full invasion aiming at decapitation of the government. This is an extremely expensive and risky plan, and let’s assume it was tailored to the actual goals of Putin — he’s not going to these measures just for kicks.

Such a large invasion is only consistent with the fourth stated objective. The separatists could have been protected via a much smaller intervention focused on their claimed territories. Lower expense, fewer dead Russians, smaller sanctions, and no way Ukraine is able to dislodge them.

Similarly, blockage of joining NATO was already achieved in the short and medium term. As everyone has recognized, Ukraine was not joining NATO anytime soon. Full invasion does nothing towards this end — even if it gets a government to agree to amend the Constitution or whatever, that’s not worth the paper it’s written on, unless, of course, Russian troops are at hand to enforce it.

Third, full invasion of Ukraine does nothing towards the third objective. Quite the opposite, obviously.

Which leaves “denazification and demilitarization” as the only one of Putin’s stated objectives that is consistent with the means he has chosen. This imo lends weight to the argument that nothing Ukraine could have conceded would have been able to forestall invasion — everything else Putin claimed to want (Crimea, separatist republics, NATO) could have been gotten much more cheaply.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Baronjutter posted:

The ideal of enduring any sort of hardship, let alone dying, for a cause is totally foreign.

I think for a lot of us it's helplessness. How can we help? I do my piddling part here in the States, donating money/resources and volunteering for Get Out The Vote stuff, but it really feels so useless in the face of a handful of insane fuckers who ruin the world for everyone. I think the stories of everyday folks standing up to invaders helps morale around the world, even if it's more myth than truth.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Nenonen posted:

It's going to be just like Stalingrad, except Ukrainians are the surrounded 6th Army.

Don't forget the Red Army suffered horrendous losses as well: over a million casualties. The German and Axis armies just couldn't afford them as easily. I don't think we'll see something on that scale, but if Ukraine has a few ten thousand soldiers in Kiev, they could hold out a very long time if their morale holds.

Somaen posted:

The last time an Ukrainian president fled Kyiv it did not look good. Doing anything similar to Yanukovich is very bad optics

I don't think it's about optics. I think he's actually just a brave person.

Baronash posted:

...do you really think that England, France, or the US would consider an invasion of Estonia an "existential threat" to themselves? That a US president and US citizens would weather nuclear bombings as the unavoidable cost of defending freedom in Latvia? Sure, the US is sending troops there now as a show of force, but do you truly feel we would do the same if the build-up we saw in advance of this war was occurring on the borders of a NATO country?
Not without a tripwire. The troops are the tripwire. That model has worked very successfully in South Korea. Would the US populace go to war for 500K Estonians? No. For 5K dead American soldiers? Yes.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Imagine all the tweets from Trump begging Putin to stop all this if he were president.

He'd be alternating between cheering him on and saying that he would have captured Kiev by now.

Operational Stuff: Here's my best take on what the Russian military is trying to do:
  • Draw Ukrainian forces east. This was largely successful, and was done before the full invasion.
  • Cut off those eastern forces along the Kharkiv-Dneiper line. Push from the south to establish a land route to Crimea, but leave Ukrainian forces in a pocket. The southern push seems to be going okay. Some reports are that the Russians got onto the western shore of the Dneiper and then pushed back, but that's okay. Holding the east bank meets most of their objectives just fine.
  • Seize Kiev as quickly as possible, mostly to decapitate the government.
  • If Kharkiv and Kiev are both invested, that makes it much harder for Ukraine to fully mobilize.

Keep in mind that Russia has a much higher tolerance for casualties than the West has been since the 1991 Gulf War.

Tank stuff:
  • The inside of tanks are very tight, and Russian tanks far more so than their Western counterparts. Lots of history as to "why", but the tl;dr is that for a bunch of historical reasons Western tanks tend to be larger and have larger turrets. Even then, armored vehicles can look like travel wagons in a hurry.
  • Adding metal grills to the outside of armored vehicles can help against certain types of anti-armor weapons. Wikipedia actually has a decent article describing how non-kinetic anti-armor munitions work, and it's these munitions such countermeasures are intended to affect. The problem is that everyone has been using multi-layer armor for decades at this point; reactive-explosive armor is the "heavier" version of adding metal grills. So, most modern, man-portable anti-armor systems have multiple, sequential warheads (called "tandem warheads"). The metal grills could cause the first warhead to detonate, but the second one goes right through. Basically, they could help against older, simpler devices like the venerable RPG-7, but are very unlikely to help against Javelins, TOWs, etc. Fun fact: there are rumors that upcoming missiles will have three tandem warheads. It will be like modern shaving razors over time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-explosive_anti-tank

Opsec stuff: Ukraine's opsec does seem pretty tight right now. I wonder if part of it was the lessons learned in 2014. The Russians basically deleted two Ukrainian tank battalions in that war with the following sequence:
  • Focused electronic warfare systems to block military radio frequencies for those tank battalions.
  • Waited for the tankers to use their cell phones to start calling each other.
  • Used GPS coordinates from the cellphones to know where the vehicles are.
  • Fired GPS-guided long-range artillery rounds from a couple artillery battalions, simultaneously.
The rumor is that the US DOD watched that play out in real-time on SIGINT and satellite, and had an "oh gently caress our armored forces would totally do that" moment.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Shooting Blanks posted:

This. I understand why Putin is going into Ukraine, even though it's a demonstrably bad a provocative thing to do from a Western perspective. I don't understand at all why they're shooting at commercial ships though - that will eventually get a very different reaction.

something fucky is going on here.

Wonder how long this attacking of ships on the Black Sea will go on. Or be allowed to go on.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Dwesa posted:

According to Putin himself, this is result of Lenin inventing Ukraine and Ukrainians.

Very rational.

TulliusCicero posted:

Have you ever considered, and I know this might be a hard one to hear so maybe sit down, drink some water, maybe do a breathing exercise:

That Putin may in fact be LYING abkut NATO concerns and is in fact agressing on Ukraine because according to his words directly they have no right to exist?

fatherboxx posted:

He is a lunatic
He started a full scale invasion of a neighbor with zero rationale behind it
If he had any marbles left in his brain he would have done the usual soft power/buying out of politicians after Yanukovich failed. Instead whole world sees through the charade.

Yeah, it all comes down to one dipshit speech. It's certainly not the entire post-USSR history between Russia and Ukraine, and particularly all the post-revolution fights as most of Ukraine leaves Russia's sphere of influence.

Russia is not just obliterating Ukraine because "IT'S OURSSSSS" and you're all buying into a really astonishingly simple narrative to think so. No, it's not just about NATO, it's about Russia wanting to expand power while the entire western world is hoping for a Ukraine that leaves Russia's influence behind. It's brutal, it's violent, it's an awful thing for most of the world, but it can all be rationalized.

The reason this isn't just semantics is because the constant painting of Putin as an insane infantile moron is just going to become justification for the west to abandon challenging diplomacy. There may have been no sensible way of appeasing Putin before this, and that's fine, but the way this situation deteriorated had me pretty loving concerned about the way we're handling difficult relations elsewhere, like China.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Putinist Tankie is a confused idiot.

Revolutionary Romanticism is always incoherent.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ronya posted:

I feel like EU decisionmakers are still in "responding to the last crisis" thinking and are pulling out options for things that would be considered final options for an escalation for a frozen conflict scenario, rather than a ground invasion on multiple fronts aimed at occupation and government replacement as if it's still 1956

That's not unexpected as bureaucracy goes, but I think we'll see more creative policy trickle out slowly over the next couple of months

Yeah, it's very clear that they're context switching on the go. We had supposed package confirmed by 3am Europe this night, with "nuclear options" clearly off the table, and now we've gone through like 2-3 new sanctions versions today, and now everything nuclear, sans crude oil, is on the table, including direct Putin sanctions and SWIFT blockade.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

OwlFancier posted:

Some people (yourself it sounds like) see life in any form as preferable to death. Others disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

They also don't appear destroyed, just abandoned. Which, yeah you don't stay in the lightly armored vehicles if artillery is coming.

A lot of them are extremely destroyed. Im guessing the rest got stuck and abandoned rather than being sittings ducks.