Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I've got a handy guide right here.

"No war but class war"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cletus Van Damme posted:

Where are all the bodies? WTF happened here?

The column was moving along with civilian traffic and got hit by aircraft or artillery. As they got hit the road got more and more jammed, some vehicles dispersed into the fields. For whatever reason, possibly 💫Strategic Mud✨ or lack of march discipline and command and control, vehicles were not kept moving off the blacktop. It only takes a few vehicles being disabled for an accordion effect to form where everybody gets more compressed. Some vehicles collided in minor pileups, seen in the first and second videos.

You’re not going to sit in an idling vehicle as shells or rockets impact around you, and with no way forward and no way out, they bailed. That’s what anyone would do.

You can see there was a medical unit intermixed in the first and second video with trucks and MTLB tracked carriers. They either picked up the wounded and bodies, or another medical unit came along and did so. Additionally, with burnt out vehicles it’s hard to tell. Russian Graves and Registration may have as well, but the “Mobile Crematoriums” thing makes it seem more ominous than it is, and intact/identifiable bodies are being reported to the IRC and Ukrainian Red Cross. They may be kept in a morgue or given temporary burials in marked plots.

Basically, this is what happens when you’re caught in the open. There’s no point staying to die with your immobilized (from damage or traffic) vehicle, so they ran first to the roadside ditch, and then when the fire let up or the aircraft left, something like woods or buildings.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 20:27 on Feb 25, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sexpig by night posted:

yea just to be clear I do think they're probably gonna come out of this with a not-minor casualty count due to just how hard it is to do this poo poo when you're not just bombing the poo poo out of population zones and kicking the rubble left behind over to declare victory. I just think 'uh we killed 4000 russians actually, no we can't tell you where' is a hilarious propaganda line

4000 is such a made up number. they should say they killed 3987 russians, then it sounds real

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

💫Strategic Mud✨

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1497230379807383553

hahahahahahahahha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Hey Hitler 2, we're having some trouble with Hitler 1.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Gumball Gumption posted:

You don't have to support anyone. You do not in fact need to have a side

did you read the post? this is why I put support in scare quotes, I don’t support them beyond posting that the US narrative of events is completely fictional. I don’t care if the Russian army gets completely rolled, my name’s Bennett and I ain’t in it

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

indigi posted:

I wonder if d&d will ever understand that people’s support of Russia boils down to mostly thinking they took reasonable steps to try to avoid what to Moscow was an unreasonable outcome (Ukraine joining nato)

like the beginning and end of my - and I bet most people here - “support” is saying well in this specific case I don’t think Putin acted evilly or even unreasonably given the circumstances. I wasn’t hoping for an invasion, I don’t think Russia is acting “morally” (whatever that means), and I know it’s not gonna have some great outcome where Ukraine is denazified and the neoliberal conservatives put in prison. it all stinks. but the narrative NATO/US are pushing about all of these events is obviously complete bullshit

The way I would phrase it is that Russia acted rationally and maybe even predictably to Ukraine/US/NATO actions.

These are literal games of empire, and as such, no one is acting morally (again whatever that means). Though I can especially feel for the people of Ukraine because they are very much caught in the middle.

Their government made bad choices, if for also predictable reasons, and now they are paying the price.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
according to aljazeera the ukranians are saying the big Russian push to take Kiev city itself has begun

https://twitter.com/ajabreaking/status/1497290973281411076?s=21

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I can't wait to be the person that clicks the hot russians in my area link that causes WW3

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

indigi posted:

well Crimea voted overwhelmingly to secede so idk how worked up I can get over that “invasion.” this one is orders of magnitude worse, different enough I wouldn’t want to use the same word to describe both

I mean, Russia occupied Crimea and then they had a referendum. This would be like saying the southern confederacy was legitimate.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Rutibex posted:

4000 is such a made up number. they should say they killed 3987 russians, then it sounds real

gently caress lmao you're giving me flashbacks to some data collection I did that I was 100% sure was correct but I had to go back and fudge the numbers because of exactly what you said

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

My bird blood is ethically sourced.
jfc I hoped I'd never live to see a day where I've logged on to something awful dot com to make nervous jokes about imminent land war in europe

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Zeroisanumber posted:

No. No. No. No. No. No.

Why doesn't anyone remember anything?

Pretty sure the US remembers selling and distributing arms makes its rich people much richer

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the only people worth supporting here are civilians thats it you dont need to support either lovely imperial side here their both turds.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Last known photograph of the Ghost of Kiev.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

gently caress lmao you're giving me flashbacks to some data collection I did that I was 100% sure was correct but I had to go back and fudge the numbers because of exactly what you said

post red text combo

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

jfc I hoped I'd never live to see a day where I've logged on to something awful dot com to make nervous jokes about imminent land war in europe
https://twitter.com/_Aazeh/status/1492442289674891266

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

Last known photograph of the Ghost of Kiev.

is that the street sword/defense against the homless guy

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
supposedly the power plant near kyiv got destroyed/disabled.

https://twitter.com/ChalecosAmarill/status/1497290015302459392

the livestream of Maidanhead Square went down at 9:10pm ukraine time

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

“ holy heckin poo poo balls I’m gonna make those Russians cry home to mama with this new gun the government gave me as they surrender!!!”

* is immediately bombed by Russian bomber then has two in the head one in the heart from a spetznaz trooper before I single shot that kills my neighbor by accident*

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/NadiaWhittomeMP/status/1497235831391719427

Blighty contines to be blighted.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Actually on the topic of Graves Registration, both sides should be reporting to the IRC. Do they publish counts or just relay to the opposing side’s National Red Cross?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Mhm, yeah that seems like a good idea. Nothing that could go wrong.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Reik posted:

I mean, Russia occupied Crimea and then they had a referendum. This would be like saying the southern confederacy was legitimate.

the Confederacy's legitimacy was determined at the point of a bayonet

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

Some Guy TT posted:

does this even outpace the number of russians killed by covid on a daily basis

No.

But the sustained culling of the weak and old does not inform Spetznaz and regular military resource casualty rates.

Twenty-five thousand caveats apply, but if they are taking 250/500 casualties a day, they cannot reasonably keep this up for the duration in a non-existential scenario.

I was wrong about them not invading, just for full transparency. Just came here to check on the pole dancer.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Reik posted:

if the Crimean people wanted to secede (and events prior to the Russian annexation would certainly indicate this) who cares when the referendum was, legitimacy is just legalese bullshit nonsense. who cares if the confederate government was “legitimate” they deserved to get owned and they got owned

if your point is that the referendum’s result was fraudulent due to Russian military presence that’s a different argument. I haven’t come across anything to make me doubt it but I’m not well enough read to dig my heels in on it, maybe it was completely fake idk

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I’m glad the British are being fair and balanced with their xenophobia

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

“ holy heckin poo poo balls I’m gonna make those Russians cry home to mama with this new gun the government gave me as they surrender!!!”

* is immediately bombed by Russian bomber then has two in the head one in the heart from a spetznaz trooper before I single shot that kills my neighbor by accident*

what is this post? "haha it's hilarious that Ukranian civilians are getting killed"?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
People are saying that Kiev is going to be a nightmare slog, but I remember Baghdad in 2003 and that place was flying the white flag inside of a day.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

genericnick posted:

Mhm, yeah that seems like a good idea. Nothing that could go wrong.

I’m wondering about the legality of interdicting that convoy? As soon as it crosses the border, it’s fair game as it’s carrying military goods for a combatant.

OTOH if they are Polish military vehicles manned by Poles, what would the fallout of a SU-24 just flying along the road dropping ordnance be?

I suppose Russia could just air scatter mines along all the east-west highways they don’t control?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The people mocking a supposedly high Russian death toll as military incompetence while bragging that the Ukrainians are ready to fight an insurgency to the last man really understand this whole war thing.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

If you were Ukrainian, why would you fight room by room, building by building, block by block, just so your government doesn’t sign Minsk II?

:thunk:

propaganda

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Zeroisanumber posted:

People are saying that Kiev is going to be a nightmare slog, but I remember Baghdad in 2003 and that place was flying the white flag inside of a day.

between the handing out of arms and the airport battles it seems likes there are barely any ukranian military units in and around kiev

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Raskolnikov38 posted:

between the handing out of arms and the airport battles it seems likes there are barely any ukranian military units in and around kiev

VDV did their job

e: Also the political necessity to keep most of the standing army far east facing Donbas, and unwillingness/inability to withdraw them as the spearheads from north and south closed in on Kiev, encircling them and isolating the army and capital from each other was operationally brilliant, but…

Now the government has decided to fight on without their army which I wouldn’t have predicted. Hopefully Kiev declares itself a free city, the government and regulars can flee to Liviv on a 12 hour ceasefire or something. 🤞

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 20:37 on Feb 25, 2022

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Al-Saqr posted:

I’m glad the British are being fair and balanced with their xenophobia

That weird feeling that you get when Euros are more racist than the US.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

have we dropped the gayest of all bombs yet

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

My bird blood is ethically sourced.

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's harder to kill white people with similar architecture to yours for some reason, pisses people off idk

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

indigi posted:

if the Crimean people wanted to secede (and events prior to the Russian annexation would certainly indicate this) who cares when the referendum was, legitimacy is just legalese bullshit nonsense. who cares if the confederate government was “legitimate” they deserved to get owned and they got owned

if your point is that the referendum’s result was fraudulent due to Russian military presence that’s a different argument. I haven’t come across anything to make me doubt it but I’m not well enough read to dig my heels in on it, maybe it was completely fake idk

If the Crimean people wanted to self-govern why were they an independent state for all of 2 days?

I only brought up that the referendum was made after Crimea had been occupied because you seemed to be saying that it justified the invasion/occupation, but maybe I misunderstood why you brought it up.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Reik posted:

what is this post? "haha it's hilarious that Ukranian civilians are getting killed"?

it’s making fun of the ukranian Twitter posting photos of themselves opening up the box of guns and thinking they’ll be able to do any real damage to the Russians when in reality they are essentially removing the ‘civilian’ designation from themselves and causing themselves and people around them to be killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

That weird feeling that you get when Euros are more racist than the US.

Lol we invented racism, they got nothing on us