Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So quick question how does a tankies cope with the cognitive dissonance of saying Ukraine is run by neo-Nazis, when it’s president is a Jew?

Nazism is a jewish plot, duh :drugnerd:

Naked Bear posted:

Who would take over in Russia if Putin were ousted as a result of this fiasco?

Nobody knows, which is a spicy issue for another day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Well, that's why I'm wondering: this is pure speculation on my part, but I've got a weird feeling that day might not be very far off.

:shrug:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Gearing up for Grozny 2.0

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1497177195609010179?s=19

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

They'd do well...unless it rains?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1497280435612758017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The guy slowly accelerates to 80km/h instead of putting the throttle through the firewall :stare:

Those are some brass loving balls

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

ASAPI posted:

I know very little about international/maritime law as it applies to this kind of situation.

How quickly will these attacks draw action from various countries? Would a move like this on a US flagged merchant ship draw a kinetic response from us? Do merchant ship flags work like that?

The maritime sector is weird because in most cases a ship is owned by a national of country A, flagged by country B, and crewed by countries C, D, and E (statistically those are the Philippines, India, and Ukraine as the big 3). So you get a diffusion of responsibility going on where all of those countries can either claim they care about the issue or alternately and more commonly, they tut-tut it while not feeling like they actually have to do anything about it. In this case I'd expect it to not be a big deal.

US is weird because of the Jones act, if a ship is US-owned and US-flagged then it usually has US crew so it's more likely to get a response, which is one of the things that made the "Captain Phillips" story end differently than the other roughly 1000 seafarers kidnapped about the same time from non-US ships.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Magugu posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisMedlandF1/...ghtmode%3Dtrue9

Nikita Mazepin a Formula 1 driver, who's father is an oligarch in charge or Uralkali, had this to say,

https://twitter.com/nikita_mazepin/...ightmode%3Dtrue

Was this the jerkass russian driver

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Notahippie posted:

The maritime sector is weird because in most cases a ship is owned by a national of country A, flagged by country B, and crewed by countries C, D, and E (statistically those are the Philippines, India, and Ukraine as the big 3). So you get a diffusion of responsibility going on where all of those countries can either claim they care about the issue or alternately and more commonly, they tut-tut it while not feeling like they actually have to do anything about it. In this case I'd expect it to not be a big deal.

US is weird because of the Jones act, if a ship is US-owned and US-flagged then it usually has US crew so it's more likely to get a response, which is one of the things that made the "Captain Phillips" story end differently than the other roughly 1000 seafarers kidnapped about the same time from non-US ships.

Makes more sense now. Thanks for the explanation.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

Milo and POTUS posted:

If you mean the Jerk rear end driver who filmed himself sexually assaulting a girl and posting it on Instagram, Yes.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/Alex_Lily/status/1496986863571468289
https://twitter.com/msbishop/status/1497016939608264705

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Milo and POTUS posted:

He's also a binman of the highest order amongst binmen pay drivers hth

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Naked Bear posted:

Who would take over in Russia if Putin were ousted as a result of this fiasco?

No one's really certain. Putin's been in power for so long that he's become somewhat synonymous with the Russian government, and his "likely successor" has changed several times. It probably wouldn't be anyone from an opposition party though, and based on history you can narrow down the list by looking at members of Putin's inner circle who aren't bald.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/YourAnonTV/status/1497273131567828992?t=nHc68ZoPC4g3pMGLQEH9Qg&s=19

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I like this guy.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Wow, how incredibly rude of them.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

They'd do well...unless it rains?

yeah get him an F-22, needs at least 2 engines so one can get hit and he can keep going like some sort of Sky Revenant.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Alright students, I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that we have to accelerate your final exam. The good news is that I have full confidence that each and every one of you will pass.

https://twitter.com/timkmak/status/1497304668703236102?t=ZN8UbAZ7yiLvJRe-Vp6wxg&s=19

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/iaponomarenko/status/1497217276742979591?s=21

Saint javelin protects.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I was wondering what they were up to. I'm very interested in what else they start releasing.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/iaponomarenko/status/1497285592207429633?s=21

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So quick question how does a tankies cope with the cognitive dissonance of saying Ukraine is run by neo-Nazis, when it’s president is a Jew?

Part of it is there ARE war tourists and advisors that go over there wearing -waffen / SS / Kekistan patches and poo poo and some are training the Ukrainians.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ASAPI posted:

I was wondering what they were up to. I'm very interested in what else they start releasing.

Yeah, seriously, it'd be loving mindblowing if the Russian Ministry of Defense had a bunch of classified info somehow compromised by Anonymous.

Hail Saint Javelin.

:aaa:

Naked Bear posted:

Well, that's why I'm wondering: this is pure speculation on my part, but I've got a weird feeling that day might not be very far off.

:shrug:

I'm also fascinated as to dragging this on long enough leads the populace to go "gently caress this" and try to overthrow Vlad.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wasabi the J posted:

Part of it is there ARE war tourists and advisors that go over there wearing -waffen / SS / Kekistan patches and poo poo and some are training the Ukrainians.

Right, but every country has that. poo poo I’m sure Russia has a significantly larger number that’s not even including all the fucks from Wagner.

https://twitter.com/gonnahityou/status/1497295460066750465?s=21

Apparently it’s a Topol. I’m just hoping this is someone’s idea of a prank post and Russia really isn’t moving strategic missiles into Ukraine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Right, but every country has that. poo poo I’m sure Russia has a significantly larger number that’s not even including all the fucks from Wagner.

https://twitter.com/gonnahityou/status/1497295460066750465?s=21

Apparently it’s a Topol. I’m just hoping this is someone’s idea of a prank post and Russia really isn’t moving strategic missiles into Ukraine.

They move em around all the time, by design. This one apparently is being moves for an upcoming parade.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/Blake_Allen13/status/1497300722194522119?t=Gdj9ANC6z4gTMjehm6V6jw&s=19

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Russia has scary cyber abilities and I don't think for a minute they're wasting this opportunity to track down who's leaking info, like in The Departed.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The first result that comes on on YouTube when you search NLAW is a metal as gently caress promotion from Saab:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hupsUq-fzq8

No dialogue, no text, just a promotional version of "SAY HELLO TO MY LIL FRIEN'".

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 25, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

They move em around all the time, by design. This one apparently is being moves for an upcoming parade.
Well that’s a relief at least.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm also fascinated as to dragging this on long enough leads the populace to go "gently caress this" and try to overthrow Vlad.

It's been hectic so I can't remember if I saw this here or somewhere else but anyways, but someone pointed out that the intelligence coming out of Russia has been pretty solid compared to where it was 5-8 years ago. The speculation is that much of it is HUMINT coming from people plugged into the higher echelons of the Russian Military and the oligarchy because they too, see how stupid this whole enterprise is.

So I mean, with that in mind, it's not outlandish that someone might try to remove him.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Haha up yours Vlad.
I hope they keep wrecking your poo poo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Thats a lot of armoured vehicles dead

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The US sanctioned Putin and Lavrov.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Been talking about this in all three of my classes today. School is going to have me do a round table next week to help explain everything. Looking forward to it. One thing I keep bringing up is that 'ol Vlad ain't trying to bring back the USSR. He's trying to bring back the Tsar. Same system, filthy rich but only at the very top along with a strong church to control the population.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Thats a lot of armoured vehicles dead

Yeah and even if we were to say half all of those numbers for a more conservative estimate….Goddamn Russia’s military sucks if the war crimes option isn’t turned on…and even then it mostly sucks.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Notahippie posted:

To expand on this US flag is almost always 100% US crews. Theres also not a lot of commercial US ships in Azov. We had a tanker puttering around Isreal/Turkey but no real commercial runs. Any commercial US flag ship is almost certain to be carrying US military cargo, any US ship in that area is almost certain to be MSC. Just a very high chance you are attacking US military assets.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Are homemade Molotovs effective against modern tanks? I would assume there's a lot better thermal resistance than their WW2 counterparts.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Are homemade Molotovs effective against modern tanks? I would assume there's a lot better thermal resistance than their WW2 counterparts.

Probably not very but if you can get in a open or non-sealed area you could probably burn the tank crew to death.

Man that felt weird to read after typing it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It’s not the actual tank that they are trying to take out. The people inside tend to catch on fire pretty good when doused in burning fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Hekk posted:

It’s not the actual tank that they are trying to take out. The people inside tend to catch on fire pretty good when doused in burning fuel.

not to mention disrupting sensors and ruining sight lines so that you could put charges of some variety on or near the tank, or use an atgm of some variety