Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrThief
Jan 6, 2001

lynch_69 posted:

I love this show. It's batshit insane and somehow has a budget, kinda like the FX Legion series.

Anyone remember an old scifi show called Earth 2? It was the kinder gentler mid-90s basic cable version of this.

YES! I remember watching Earth 2 on the local channels and being bummed out when i found out it was cancelled after one season. Raised by Wolves does seem like the craziest, higher budget cousin of it.

I laughed out loud when half-faced android just wholesale slaughtered the mithraics and when Space Ragnar murmured ''what the gently caress'' at the sight of an ancient desiccated alien reviving and mutating before his very eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

muscles like this! posted:

I mean, we kind of got an engineer this episode.

lol that’s the first thing that came to my mind.

Sol is just a desktop computer with Microsoft Tay installed.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm glad Mother has someone to call a friend.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

DrThief posted:

YES! I remember watching Earth 2 on the local channels and being bummed out when i found out it was cancelled after one season. Raised by Wolves does seem like the craziest, higher budget cousin of it.

I laughed out loud when half-faced android just wholesale slaughtered the mithraics and when Space Ragnar murmured ''what the gently caress'' at the sight of an ancient desiccated alien reviving and mutating before his very eyes.

Someone in the thread called the first scene. Every death in this show is hilarious and there was a lot of them. I like how the engineer had been asleep for a million years only to get shot in the face 10 seconds after waking up. To be honest the only line of dialogue in this show should be "what the gently caress" . Also the half faced android lines when she was murdering everyone were great

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Fantastic show.

I have to say though that I don't find some of the bad characters as compelling as the good guys (mammy and pappy are just stellar). I wouldn't think the show would lose much if Ragnar/Marcus stepped on a landmine. Similarly, I think I was supposed to care for Paul, but was actually hoping for him to be gone (which of course wasn't realistic).

Would have liked to learn more about Tora Tora, but I guess they'll drag that out until some kind of showdown in the season finale.

Vrille's scenes were just the best.

Still not too much into the religious themes. Sue "doing her own research" and "the power of prayer" - eh. (Yes I know that these things might end up making sense in the show's universe.)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Father and his jokes. He's so good. I really want to see more of that veil android in action.

Haha Vrille's revenge was terrifying and hilarious. :rip: all those Mithriacs. Where's Sol now?

loving leeches why did you have to save Paul? :argh:

DrThief posted:

Same but also when Lucius called himself the last true motherfucking Mithriac.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Where the gently caress did she get all those leeches??? I saw she picked up 2 and then ran way. Suddenly he's loving covered in them! I was hoping he'd turn into a lizard.

"What the gently caress" indeed. That scene and subtitle needs to be in the OP. If it was possible make that the background of this thread when you load it.

threadid=3938135? background: what-the-gently caress-rbw.png

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Vintersorg posted:

Where the gently caress did she get all those leeches??? I saw she picked up 2 and then ran way. Suddenly he's loving covered in them!

They caught a half-dozen more fishmans the same way. The show just skipped over the fishman-cleaning montage so that we could have more excellent robot murder sequence.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I thought the robot girl couldn't disobey a direct order from her owner? I guess that just never occurred to anyone.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
also says no user serviceable parts inside, warranty void if opened. should have read the EULA.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I loved everything about Sue’s vision and her reaction to it.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I’m also sure a merman who has just come out of the acid ocean is totally safe to touch and straddle.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

eschaton posted:

I’m also sure a merman who has just come out of the acid ocean is totally safe to touch and straddle.

I just tell myself the top layer of the ocean is six inches of normal water that washes off the acid from mermen and also makes the ocean spray, mist, residue, etc not eat through everything. Because if you told me a body of water was insta-kill acid then the last thing I would do is have romantic, windswept conversations next to it, no matter how nice the sunset looks (assuming the acid works like smog). I would in fact stay far, far away from it under all circumstances.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I have to watch this show as living mythology more than as sci-fi, because those details are all insane.

If this planet has an ocean so strongly acidic it dissolves objects in seconds, I don't see any way the overall biome is otherwise "like Earth." Presumably the atmosphere is Nitrogen / Oxygen / CO2 with water vapor, since people just breathe it comfortably. And there are no repercussions for living on the coastline of an ocean of...sulfuric acid? Hydrochloric? It's all fine, just don't swim in there. Praise Sol.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Xealot posted:

I have to watch this show as living mythology more than as sci-fi, because those details are all insane.

This is my attitude as well. Treat this and Prometheus as fables and they are really loving good. As hard sci-fi, not so much!

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
The ocean water's acid component is ivermechydrocloxotinbleach, which is only acidic to things submerged in it. Otherwise the water is 100% safe to touch, drink etc.

They're also safely walking on the beach without it doing anything to the soles of their shoes, q.e.d.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
One of the episodes Marcus and friends were walking on wet sand. It still bugs me. I want some acid ocean consistency. Or do I since having everyone next to it leads to hilarious deaths? Quite the conundrum.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

They caught a half-dozen more fishmans the same way. The show just skipped over the fishman-cleaning montage so that we could have more excellent robot murder sequence.

I love how this show skips over the bullshit and goes straight to the wild poo poo. On another show, we'd have a scene of her recruiting Campion for her plan, followed by a scene of them both justifying the risks to Mother, followed by a scene of them using some science device to clone/grow enough leeches. It would be an entire episode dedicated to this and leave no room for Marcus and the vampire or Campion's robot girlfriend's slasher revenge or Father awkwardly flirting with angel-amazon-bot.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xealot posted:

If this planet has an ocean so strongly acidic it dissolves objects in seconds, I don't see any way the overall biome is otherwise "like Earth." Presumably the atmosphere is Nitrogen / Oxygen / CO2 with water vapor, since people just breathe it comfortably. And there are no repercussions for living on the coastline of an ocean of...sulfuric acid? Hydrochloric? It's all fine, just don't swim in there. Praise Sol.

Oh ye of little faith!

The “molecular acid” in Alien(s) is rendered inert when exposed to oxygen.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Did I dream this or did Sue de-escalate a conflict with an alien acid monster by acting like a dog?

Either way it’s true in my book.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

eschaton posted:

They sure are pretty chill about living right next to a literal ocean made of acid.

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Did I dream this or did Sue de-escalate a conflict with an alien acid monster by acting like a dog?

Either way it’s true in my book.

Combo of that and Campions new biblical skill, the sling

I need to reread the Book of Enoch, come to think of it. This show is supposed to be loosely based on it

I do appreciate that they "explain" the horrible filters for night shots: when Sue and Paul have their heart to heart about alien Jesus, they show the three moons just being all rude and bright in the middle of the night.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
This show just gets better every week. Was really creeped out by the weird veil on the new android though.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I watch this show with my mum (it's a perfect mother-daughter show) and she spent most of this episode looking away and asking me to describe things to her lol.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Every episode of this show is an incredible fever dream. It is horrible and I hope it never ends.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Wheels within wheels Dodecahedrons within dodecahedrons.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
This was a good episode but I do think that BY LAW they have to include a shot of a floating space snake in every episode, and this episode did not have one and that upset me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I hope the dodecahedrons are revealed to be poops from an adult snake.

The snake gets massive

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

frogbs posted:

This was a good episode but I do think that BY LAW they have to include a shot of a floating space snake in every episode, and this episode did not have one and that upset me.

we've gotten so much snake content and lore that i'm okay with this

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

frogbs posted:

:confused:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
This his show reminds me a lot of Lexx. They leaned into the absurdity more.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

gently caress. That counts!

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Xealot posted:

The acid is made of a new chemical element Fy. Which is also the same element that lets giant sneks fly. :)

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

loving Sue rules

Also mother and father

Show is great

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, that episode rocked.

Sad they killed off Nerve the casting breakdown for her part had a much bigger backstory for the character involving experimenting on herself for the Trust.But it's one of a number of breakdowns that were for roles severely shrunk this season.

Sayeng, for instance was meant to be a recurring character, and you can see a still for a scene with her that was cut from an early episode if you go to the HBO press website. Who's Sayeng? Yeah, exactly. (She's the robot gladiator blackmarket woman.)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm glad they finally had an episode that takes this show from "interesting enough to keep watching" to "wow, something is actually happening."

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I'm glad they finally had an episode that takes this show from "interesting enough to keep watching" to "wow, something is actually happening."

Yeah, ok, agreed, but what is happening?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
don't worry about it

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

I wouldn't think the show would lose much if Ragnar/Marcus stepped on a landmine.

Huh, Ragnar is like half the show and his blessed/cursed ascent to power is incredible.

Cojawfee posted:

Granted this episode stood out as extra bonkers and eventful, but you really thing ‘nothing actually happened’ describes any episode of the entire series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

wooger posted:

Huh, Ragnar is like half the show and his blessed/cursed ascent to power is incredible.

Granted this episode stood out as extra bonkers and eventful, but you really thing ‘nothing actually happened’ describes any episode of the entire series?

Things happened in other episodes but they felt like complete nonsense. Things in this episode felt like they sort of made some sense and that the things that happened were connected to something else and not just made up on the spot while writing the episode.