Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

What would be the effect of a pc getting the elder sign tattooed all over themselves be?

Are they trying to trap something within their skin? I'd recommend the documentary The Autopsy of Jane Doe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Voting for the 2021 shotgun scenario contest has been shut down due to rampant ballot stuffing. No winner this year.

You can read the submissions here.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I believe that branding yourself with an Elder sign permanently costs POW most of the time, but, y'know, investments.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Exact effects of the elder sign depend on the system, edition, and in the case of Delta Green, the level of spell.

In DG, a top tier Elder Sign tattoo (which costs a whopping 100 POW worth of sacrifices) gives you an antimagic field with a radius of kilometers, in which spellcasting is impossible. Supernatural creatures caught in the radius have to either flee or die from the sign's POW damage effect.

There's a lower level casting that costs less POW and has weaker powers, making it more realistic to tattoo on the body. The radius of protection forces mythos creatures to retreat, but doesn't counteract spells. The wearer is fair game for ranged attacks, meaning a deep one with a gun can just shoot them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Starting to think that firearms themselves must be some kind of Mythos technology at this rate.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
What's the ratio of magic to purely natural sci-fi? Why can my magic book teach me to call aliens from Pluto?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Beerdeer posted:

What's the ratio of magic to purely natural sci-fi? Why can my magic book teach me to call aliens from Pluto?
That's the neat thing, it's all sci-fi poorly understood by Monkey Boys who do not, and potentially cannot, understand why doing something we consider a "magic spell" actually summons a plutonian brain bug to put your brain in a jar and take you to Hell.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

E: better responses above to the elder sign tattoo Q

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I'm trying to find an exact scenario mellonbread wrote, it was about a navy intelligence officer married to four Deep Ones? I remember having fun playing it, and would love running it as a one-shot for a few friends interesting in CoC. Does anyone remember what it was called?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

mellonbread posted:

My Big Fat Deep One Wedding - A Delta Green Agent is unwittingly betrothed to a clan of aquatic humanoids
Do you mean this one? It's not a polygamous thing.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

NutritiousSnack posted:

I'm trying to find an exact scenario mellonbread wrote, it was about a navy intelligence officer married to four Deep Ones? I remember having fun playing it, and would love running it as a one-shot for a few friends interesting in CoC. Does anyone remember what it was called?
Home Fires, sequel to My Big Fat Deep One Wedding

All my Delta Green content is linked in a central document for easy reference.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Siivola posted:

Do you mean this one? It's not a polygamous thing.

Mellon linked it, but no. The entire series is hilarious and a good ice breaker from stuff like Lover in the Ice though

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Hey Mellon, would you mind terribly if I grabbed the statblocks for those deep one soldiers in Home Fires?

I've got a thematically similar idea rock-tumblering around in my head and can already tell Deep Ones calling in backup is probably going to be part of it.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Go ahead. The Deep One commando team is only a couple lines of text removed from the base Deep One stat block anyway. The Gracious Ones are a more interesting spin on the concept, though they might not fit the use case you're looking for.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

I mentioned it on the last page, basically, the more I think about Operation Somersault, and the more I think about the kind of culture HPL considered 'good' and the kinds he considered 'evil' the more I'm thinking maybe some of the mythos has the moral high ground.

Anyway, if they got called in it would be sort of as a civil defense force scrambling, not so much as a high tier operator waiting around just off the exact right beach. What interests me more is the guns & equipment more than the stats per se.

Thanks though!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

After public outcry, Chaosium will no long be producing or participating in NFTs

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Very lol at the non-apology aspect of it though.

"We heard you and your points, and here's a breakdown of why they're all wrong, but lol sorry we'll put this idea on pause for now until you've calmed down and we can quietly re-introduce this ponzi scheme."

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Given their response to the miskatonic repository authors, I was surprised this happened at all.

Here’s the MR response:

quote:

Michael O'Brien
As noted, we partnered with VeVe Digital Collectables last year (along with such companies as Disney, Warner Bros., Star Wars, Marvel, DC Comics, Pixar, and others).
The environmental impact caused by distributed ledger technologies is a hot button topic, but from the outset VeVe has had a commitment to be carbon neutral. Otherwise - as noted in our original announcement - we wouldn't have partnered with them. Disney, Warners, Marvel et al had the same concerns and did the same due diligence.
VeVe's commitment to being environmentally friendly initially began with them purchasing carbon offsets, and now VeVe runs on the Go Chain blockchain that uses less than 0.01% as much electricity as the Ethereum and Bitcoin networks, giving it a nearly zero carbon impact. VeVe is an app-based digital collectables platform and does not incentivise competition amongst miners. There is no incentive to increase electricity expenditure because VeVe's NFT rewards are not tied to energy consumption.

We appreciate that there is a lot of concerns about NFTs, and there's certainly a 'wild west' environment out there with all sorts of strange and concerning things going on getting shared in the media. But VeVe is its own thing, an app-based platform for collectors, that has been set up to be both environmentally sustainable and protective of the rights of the creators. Otherwise we wouldn't have taken part.
Our first VeVe 'drop' in July last year was a great success. It's certainly led many VeVe fans to become curious about the Mythos, and we're going to continue to feed that curiosity. VeVe are partnering with some of the biggest popular culture brands in the world, and it's remarkable that Chaosium and Call of Cthulhu are up there alongside them. If you want to "pull your MR content" over this that is your choice, but we believe our partnership with VeVe is a positive one that is going to introduce many, many more people to Call of Cthulhu.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 16, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Given the scope of the thing, 0.01% doesn't seem like it's 'nearly no' impact, electricity-use-wise.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Proliferation of blockchain only increases its consumption as time goes on and the receipt grows longer. Either way, they got pretty hounded by the Cult of Chaos organized play keepers as well as the public at large, mostly echoing the pyramid scheme and environmental impact issues. Surprisingly, we’re here.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Nessus posted:

Given the scope of the thing, 0.01% doesn't seem like it's 'nearly no' impact, electricity-use-wise.

For real.

Personally, I love the 'carbon neutral' scam that everyone has seen through since like, 5 years after they introduced that in the 90s. "We care a lot about the environment, so we're going to pay a Palm Oil Plantation owner in Indonesia to stop slash-and-burning long enough to sign an official certificate double super promising he won't wreck a couple hectares. We will do precisely zero follow up."

Got to say the villains in Captain Planet building a massive fleet of robots with no other goal than to have them open and upend big toxic chemical barrels into the ocean seemed a little far fetched even as a kid. And now I can put my finger on it. They could articulate a desire that this was clearly satisfying, and they seemed to have fun doing it. Neither is true of crypto folks.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

PipHelix posted:

For real.

Personally, I love the 'carbon neutral' scam that everyone has seen through since like, 5 years after they introduced that in the 90s. "We care a lot about the environment, so we're going to pay a Palm Oil Plantation owner in Indonesia to stop slash-and-burning long enough to sign an official certificate double super promising he won't wreck a couple hectares. We will do precisely zero follow up."

Got to say the villains in Captain Planet building a massive fleet of robots with no other goal than to have them open and upend big toxic chemical barrels into the ocean seemed a little far fetched even as a kid. And now I can put my finger on it. They could articulate a desire that this was clearly satisfying, and they seemed to have fun doing it. Neither is true of crypto folks.
The thing that makes it clear this has nothing to do with the Old Ones is that the Old Ones were clear that people would shout and revel and enjoy themselves when the stars are right, and frankly these people don't seem to be having much fun.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I like how Lovecraft was such a racist, sheltered baby that his horrifying idea of the apocalypse was New York City on New Year's.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Final temptation, that drove the protagonist to abandon his humanity and live among the deep ones, in Shadow Over Innsmouth was the prospect of a family that would love him unconditionally.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Final temptation, that drove the protagonist to abandon his humanity and live among the deep ones, in Shadow Over Innsmouth was the prospect of a family that would love him unconditionally.

I mean, to be fair

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Some people over at the Delta Green discord (Night @ The Opera) have put together a Delta Green fanzine. It is pretty cool. In particular I like the Throne of Want ritual and the Machine Men antagonists from Issue #1. The Machine Men is a different take on the theme of a self aware AI and killer robots that fits neatly into the Mythos thanks to it's unusual backstory. It could wake up some jaded Delta Green players as they wonder what type of threat they are facing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DeltaGreenRPG/comments/tbdmch/whispers_of_the_dead_the_free_delta_green_fanzine/

quote:

Whispers of the Dead, the free Delta Green Fanzine, is available now and open to submissions

Some of us over on the N@TO Discord server have put together a free Delta Green fanzine we're calling "Whispers of the Dead." It's designed to compile artifacts, monsters, rituals, operations, factions, editorials, and other fan content to share with the wider Delta Green fandom.

We currently have two issues. Issue #1 offers a new "moonlight" powered killing machine, a brewing pot with connections to Nyarlathotep, recommended viewing for Delta Green, and other smaller articles. Issue #2 offers four new NPC organizations dealing with exploiting the Dreamlands, mind-hacking, and hypergeometric assassinations, in addition to more monsters, artifacts, and rituals.

We're planning out future issues, and would love contributions. If you have artifacts, monsters, NPC organizations, operations, rituals, or advice you want to submit to the zine, PM me.

We'd also love to hear any feedback you have so far, so feel free to share it here, on the itch.io page, or through the contact information provided in each zine issue.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
https://twitter.com/ArcDreamLLC/status/1502455039792607233

https://twitter.com/shaneivey/status/1502456700451753987?cxt=HHwWhsCojZSa5tkpAAAA

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I have an idea for a scenario to flesh out.

In 1934, Investigators are given the cover of being workers for the Census Bureau and told to go to the town of Innsmouth where about six years ago the government conducted a raid to root out the Esoteric Order of Dagon. Their mission is to find out the whereabouts of the Esoteric Orders strange artifacts and tablets.

They wind up finding out clues leading them to a secret underground concentration camp near the warehouses at the old Marsh refinery by the bay where they find out that the government has been keeping the Deep One Hybrids and other Innsmouth townsfolk captive. For the past six years the government under the auspices of the P4 Office of Naval Intelligence has been performing hideous and cruel vivisection and breeding experiments on the Deep Ones, and the artifacts are in the hands of P4, classified with the top-secret clearance heading Delta Green...

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

But I already have basically all the Arc Dream products I want!

Hmm... maybe I could give some to friends?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

LatwPIAT posted:

But I already have basically all the Arc Dream products I want!

Hmm... maybe I could give some to friends?

Pre-buy multiple copies of Iconoclasts?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Got four of the Delta Green fiction books, since I only had Rules fo Engagement and Dark Theatres from when I wound them used for 2 bucks each a decade ago.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
The vision of the Delta Green world presented in the short stories is more exciting than both the old and new settings for the game itself. The protagonist from Fast Track would have been a thousand times more interesting than Forest James as the new head of the Delta Green conspiracy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still love the short story about not-Kurt Cobain channeling the Yellow King.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I've suddenly got a hideous idea for a scene, but not a scenario to go with it. What do you guys think of this:

quote:

Player's character is looking through a keyhole.

They hear Cole Porter's "Anything Goes" on the radio music streaming through the door of the apartment beyond. The murder that they have been tracking is supposedly in there. When the character looks through, they see the killer in their private domicile at last -- they are sashaying around in front of their wardrobe. The wardrobe is filled with the baggy skins of their victims, clothes and all, and the killer is a humanoid creature with no skin, just glistening musculature.

They're humming happily, posing with their skin suits from the wardrobe and looking at the full-length mirror, as if trying to figure out their look for the day. Finally they decide upon a skin suit, and it's the friendly and helpful NPC that the investigators were chatting with from days ago. Secretly roll POW for the murderer, if successful, the murderer looks straight at the player character at the door, and the character must roll SAN (1d4/1d10). If the POW roll fails, the character viewing the horrific scene must roll SAN (1/1d8).

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 26, 2022

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Maybe it’s the same creature that was Saint Batholomew

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

In 1934, Investigators are given the cover of being workers for the Census Bureau and told to go to the town of Innsmouth where about six years ago the government conducted a raid to root out the Esoteric Order of Dagon. Their mission is to find out the whereabouts of the Esoteric Orders strange artifacts and tablets.

They wind up finding out clues leading them to a secret underground concentration camp near the warehouses at the old Marsh refinery by the bay where they find out that the government has been keeping the Deep One Hybrids and other Innsmouth townsfolk captive. For the past six years the government under the auspices of the P4 Office of Naval Intelligence has been performing hideous and cruel vivisection and breeding experiments on the Deep Ones, and the artifacts are in the hands of P4, classified with the top-secret clearance heading Delta Green...

Ruthanna Emrys has two novels that touch on these themes, Winter Tide and Deep Roots. They subvert Lovecraft’s racism by making his monsters, often thinly veiled stand-ins for people of color, sympathetic protagonists. The books are fairly well written and not as on the nose as my one sentence summary implies.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

DrSunshine posted:

Census Bureau would be a strange cover in 1934, because the U.S. didn’t conduct a census that year. You could move it to 1930, pick some New Deal agency as a cover (WPA photographers?), or have Innsmouth folk be very skeptical.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Afriscipio posted:

Ruthanna Emrys has two novels that touch on these themes, Winter Tide and Deep Roots. They subvert Lovecraft’s racism by making his monsters, often thinly veiled stand-ins for people of color, sympathetic protagonists. The books are fairly well written and not as on the nose as my one sentence summary implies.

Her first work in that vein, The Litany of Earth, is available for free online, and I would definitely recommend it. Read it several times myself.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
The first time I read The Litany of Earth was in an anthology that IMMEDIATELY followed it with a short story about a guy who rapes a bunch of women because he learns he's a Deep One.

Behold, the duality of Lovecraftiana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sasha_d3ath posted:

The first time I read The Litany of Earth was in an anthology that IMMEDIATELY followed it with a short story about a guy who rapes a bunch of women because he learns he's a Deep One.

Behold, the duality of Lovecraftiana.

:catstare: