Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

roomtone posted:

margit's difficulty confuses me because i'm 9 hours in and i'm not really even getting that close after trying 4 or 5 totally different strategies. maybe i misinterpreted him being the 'first boss', or something - but the game seems to be heavily suggesting stormveil be your first target. he's the gatekeeper to that and he's very difficult.

it is a good game so far but after 9 hours i would've liked to be working on a large structure of some kind. too much riding around on horseback in a row, looking for some kind of power upgrade. have found a lot of interesting leads but little actual progress.

This is my problem. I had like 0 problems dealing with anything before him then I get to him and can't do more than 200 damager after like 20 tries lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Frankston posted:

Getting bored with stormveil castle, someone tell me what to do here

I come out into a courtyard with about 15 enemies all focus firing on me, try to run past but there's just more enemies around every corner waiting to shoot holes in me.

How the gently caress do I get past this bit?

I used good spirit ashes. It help take focus off me while I ran around and killed every turret.

I used specifically the skeleton soldier one is really good because they rez themselves

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Just beat Margit myself. The jellyfish summon seemed quite good, kept him poisoned most of the fight and drew aggro once or twice. Died a bunch, though. Fought him with a +2 Magic Uchigatana at level 20.

I got used to the dagger and hammer skills, but his longsword stuff is quite relentless. Heavy attacks didn't do nearly as much posture damage as jumping attacks, I found.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Found a good rune farming spot on Reddit. Not sure if that kind of thing is frowned on, but I'll take what I can get, because I suck.

It's an RPG buddy farm it up if you like!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

guy in a catacombs in the mid-section of the central river drops a spiked hammer that has lower requirements than the sledge. Also you can get a curved greatsword by beating up a nerd in a portal to the south.

long after you vanish from the history books as Elden Lord you will remain my bubby

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
after you buy the key from the hag to unlock the blacksmith, you can buy the Rapier, the best weapon in the game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder if they buffed Margit in the day 1 patch because the sheer amount of roadblock doesn't mean with the "fairly standard 1st Souls boss" experience I had.

I don't mean that in a humblebrag way, I just am genuinely shocked because I expected lots of "lol so easy" from Soul vets

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

roomtone posted:

margit's difficulty confuses me because i'm 9 hours in and i'm not really even getting that close after trying 4 or 5 totally different strategies. maybe i misinterpreted him being the 'first boss', or something - but the game seems to be heavily suggesting stormveil be your first target. he's the gatekeeper to that and he's very difficult.

it is a good game so far but after 9 hours i would've liked to be working on a large structure of some kind. too much riding around on horseback in a row, looking for some kind of power upgrade. have found a lot of interesting leads but little actual progress.

he is absolutely the first Real Boss and he's a lot.

Frankston posted:

Getting bored with stormveil castle, someone tell me what to do here

I come out into a courtyard with about 15 enemies all focus firing on me, try to run past but there's just more enemies around every corner waiting to shoot holes in me.

How the gently caress do I get past this bit?

if it's the spot I'm thinking of just past the amalgam/stitched/tutorial boss dude hang to the left, run past everyone along the wall (past the rat basement), keep hanging left, sneak past the ogre and go up the big, curving stairs, immediately hang a left and there's a bonfire in a room. This is right before Boss 2.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Random questions I can't find on the wiki and want to see if anyone knows:

- Is hub/table just a place for quests/story dumps or is there some broader gameplay aspect?
- How does the co-op pool decide which shrines are "nearby" to qualify? I got transported halfway across the world a few times, but never for the dungeon I am actually next to.
- Is the sprint button on your horse time limited? It feels like he will periodically slow down and I will need to press and hold B again, but I could be going crazy.
- Is farming runes in the open world worth it? Other than the giants, everything drops ~18 to ~40 with low monster density). Is there a good place to do so?
- Is there any way to keep track of NPCs/quest progression in any form?
- Are there any major impacts of the day/night cycle? I think the one boss who drops the summoning bell is only available at night, but have noticed 0 difference otherwise.
- Any good tips/places to visit early on?
- Is there anyway to tell where a dungeon is once you have been there/walked by it? Only specific landmarks seem to show up on the map, so a dungeon can be easily forgotten if you don't do it right away.

-there's vendors and people who teach you stuff
-no idea lol
-I don't think so, I think the windy speed boost effect just fades and it tricks your mind
-I farm runes a lot to buy things from vendors. Camp at the gate where you get the horse or the bonfire right before the first boss so you can kill the guys on the road
-No
-Different spawns as far as I can tell is all
-the northern road has some good camps to clear, vendors, and trainers all along it
-always head right into the entrance of a dungeon because you can light the bonfire that's in every one

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 25, 2022

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I love the way the bat enemies hang upside down in the shadows to wait for you. It's super creepy when you come across them the first time and see glowing eyes hanging from under a bridge.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Going from the first real boss to the sun boss next door who gets stunned if your hit connects is some whiplash

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Babe Magnet posted:

You don't use the bell, the bell allows you to use the ash items to summon NPCs.

Thanks for the reply. Does this mean NPC's like AI versions of multiplayer summons for bosses? Or does this mean for spells like the Ash Jellyfish ability I was given? I have zero clue how to use it. I started as a Vagabond so maybe you have to use a wand or something?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Cavauro posted:

long after you vanish from the history books as Elden Lord you will remain my bubby

I'm at work with nothing to do and I've basically fully completed the first area so I'm just trying to help my fellow tarnished along lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

Thanks for the reply. Does this mean NPC's like AI versions of multiplayer summons for bosses? Or does this mean for spells like the Ash Jellyfish ability I was given? I have zero clue how to use it. I started as a Vagabond so maybe you have to use a wand or something?

Both! There's a bunch, including a bunch of dogs, a big crowd of weak nerds, the jellyfish, some skeletons, etc. You can't use them and multiplayer summons at the same time and they make the area slightly harder just like in multiplayer. You don't need a staff or anything, they're just useable like flasks, you equip them in the same slots. If you can't use them, you may need to open up the summoning pool but touching the little crucified statue dude that's in each area. They can be well hidden. The one before the first boss is right at the fog gate I believe though.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
What is a good early strategy for power progression?

I'm finding weapon upgrades and armor upgrades to be few and far between. I found the Lord's Greatsword (Claymore 2.0) and haven't found any better weapon or even another greatsword, no armor upgrades, and only a few flask upgrades I stumbled upon. I guess farming runes, but there aren't a ton o great options except giants or repeatedly respawning some enemies.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
this is my first time playing a from game at launch. jolly cooperation for margit is insanely fun although i haven’t succeeded once yet lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

What is a good early strategy for power progression?

I'm finding weapon upgrades and armor upgrades to be few and far between. I found the Lord's Greatsword (Claymore 2.0) and haven't found any better weapon or even another greatsword, no armor upgrades, and only a few flask upgrades I stumbled upon. I guess farming runes, but there aren't a ton o great options except giants or repeatedly respawning some enemies.

Finding a weapon and getting real drat good at it. Also buying/finding good ashes of war.

There are no armor upgrades. I've only been using two weapons (that greatsword for hoseback and the caestus for everything else) and it hasn't been too bad keeping them upgraded. You just need to take the time to explore the poo poo out of the open world area. You can farm for the upgrade parts but I forget who drops them. The big demi-humans? (not the giants)

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So I came across the Deathtouched catacombs and fought the Black Knife Assassin. It ended being laughably easy as I pelted him with pebbles for 90% of his health then flailed him to death. I thought it was going to be a multi-stage boss cause my spells were doing good damage with like 20 int.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I like that the birds just leisurely fly away when you approach and then come right back. in return I have been leaving them in peace

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Well poo poo, you guys have me worried about Margit. That's the next boss I need to fight. I guess I can always just explore and outlevel him/it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
:woop: Beat Godrick with the NPC alive, hopefully that satisfied any quest requirements

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wiltsghost posted:

Well poo poo, you guys have me worried about Margit. That's the next boss I need to fight. I guess I can always just explore and outlevel him/it.

Just jump and back off. Don't try to punish him, he counter-punishes.

Hell, just not attacking five times in a row makes you 90% better than the wretches from today lmao

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
welp found a weird round guy. no idea what that’s about

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Lakbay posted:

:woop: Beat Godrick with the NPC alive, hopefully that satisfied any quest requirements

grats! he's a huge pain in the rear end!!

King Bahamut posted:

welp found a weird round guy. no idea what that’s about

he wrote the game

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Margit is just straight up a Sekiro boss. But your not a cool ninja with infinite stamina.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

if it's the spot I'm thinking of just past the amalgam/stitched/tutorial boss dude hang to the left, run past everyone along the wall (past the rat basement), keep hanging left, sneak past the ogre and go up the big, curving stairs, immediately hang a left and there's a bonfire in a room. This is right before Boss 2.

Thanks, managed to grab the bonfire. That suuuucked.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

mistermojo posted:

I like that the birds just leisurely fly away when you approach and then come right back. in return I have been leaving them in peace

Not sure if these turtles drop anything good but I'm never killing any of them.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Not sure if these turtles drop anything good but I'm never killing any of them.

Same

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Margit down (with help)! Felt pretty tough as an Astrologer at lvl 24 but I’ve been focusing on int more than anything. I could still take 2-3 hits before dying. With an 85% shield (i found a 100% but didn’t have the str for it) I could block his one big gently caress off hammer hit. Everything else I could easily dodge or move. I probably could have done with solo with the jelly but I said gently caress it let’s bring some pubbies along for the ride.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

btw in case anyone was curious, the 50% extra strength scales UP. At 21 str I can use the hammer that requires 31 str 2h.

The what now?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if you hold a weapon with both hands (Y/Triangle + LB/RB), you get 50% of your strength stat applied to it. So if you have 10 str, by 2Hing it, you effectively now have 15. If you have 11, instead of keeping you at 15 (rounding down), it'll push you to 16 (rounding up)

Frankston posted:

Thanks, managed to grab the bonfire. That suuuucked.

np that area' rough

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They got rid of the dumb bowl cut. I’m returning this

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
What is the best way to use ashes of war as a mage? I can't seem to put them on my staff.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

mcmagic posted:

What is the best way to use ashes of war as a mage? I can't seem to put them on my staff.

I haven't found one for staff yet. I don't know if you can. I think it's a way for melee types to use FP.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Should I just use the golden runes I get when I need them or is there a vendor they can be sold to for more than they're worth like some of the lower tier ones in Dark Souls could be?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So how do I start invading, I want to prey on these bads lol

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

The Shortest Path posted:

Should I just use the golden runes I get when I need them or is there a vendor they can be sold to for more than they're worth like some of the lower tier ones in Dark Souls could be?

I think of them like Rune banks. You can't lose them if you don't use them, so only use them when you need them.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Thundercracker posted:

Margit is just straight up a Sekiro boss. But your not a cool ninja with infinite stamina.

yes i am

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm always annoyed in from games when you have to use your thumb both to move and to switch weapons/consumables.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

- How does the co-op pool decide which shrines are "nearby" to qualify? I got transported halfway across the world a few times, but never for the dungeon I am actually next to.

I don't think it cares, it just puts you in the pool randomly for any coop thingo you've unlocked

so don't forget to actually, you know, use them

although I am starting to wish I didn't use the one outside of horse because three people doing poo poo and the area transition makes my FPS go to absolute poo poo :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Can we talk about how ridiculously hard Margit is. It's taking me longer than Sekiro's last boss, what in the gently caress.

How am I supposed to deal with his pirouette spam poo poo in the second phase? At the point I am there's not enough stamina in the world to dodge/block all that, even now that I got the timing right. Not to mention you're obviously fighting this highly mobile flippy ninja-monster on a loving bridge because why not.