Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Blarghalt posted:

I want nothing more than for Noah to try and assemble an IED

Segakiller 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

These fluff pieces with couples or sad dads depress me so much. Making your oligarchs look better by holding out an extra day or two is not worth your lives or the insane cost of grinding urban combat. Your leaders tried and failed just say gently caress it and wait for it to end. The invaders reached your capital in 2 days this isn't happening. At this point you don't even want NATO to come riding in because even if nukes stay off the table there will be no country left after NATO and Russia fight over it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

I have bad news for you - they have.

How much blood is shed before the government recognizes that is the open question.

If the ceasefire terms are Minsk 2 and neutrality that's a net L for Russia.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm thinking about how when Nikol Pashinyan announced the ceasefire with Azerbaijan a bunch of Armenians stormed the parliament.

The difference with Ukraine is now a ton of people who might react the same way have guns.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Mantis42 posted:

[me lying in a job interview 5 years from now]

"uh yea so they called me 'the ghost'. i was responsible for overseeing aviation equipment and uhh personally liasoned with a wide variety of foreign travelers"

handled and delegated a wide range of responsibilities in a dynamic working environment

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

haha yeah. Mokou invented it. Thats what I will think from now on

Richard Baxton piloted his Recon Rover into a fungal vortex and held off four waves of mind worms, saving an entire colony. We immediately purchased his identity manifests and repackaged him into the Recon Rover Rick character with a multi-tiered media campaign: televids, touchbooks, holos, psi-tours-- the works. People need heroes. They don't need to know how he died clawing his eyes out, screaming for mercy. The real story would just hurt sales, and dampen the spirits of our customers.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Majorian posted:

If the ceasefire terms are Minsk 2 and neutrality that's a net L for Russia.

How? They don't have to absorb economically backward places, make sure that NATO is kept out and business goes back to what it was.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Tankbuster posted:

https://twitter.com/Caucasuswar/status/1497328160844754944

Begs the question. How many of them are saboteurs and how many are just people hashing out their longstanding rivalries now that regular city law and order has been tossed aside and everyone has been given dakka.

also the Indian approach to the nalaxites

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tankbuster posted:

https://twitter.com/Caucasuswar/status/1497328160844754944

Begs the question. How many of them are saboteurs and how many are just people hashing out their longstanding rivalries now that regular city law and order has been tossed aside and everyone has been given dakka.

In order of how the question was phrased the answers are 0% and 100%

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

lol I don't think there's any indication Russia is losing

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Reminder: the Invasion of Poland during ww2 took 35 days, the German invasion of France took 6 weeks. No matter how fast the people on twitter want to know the conclusion, military operations dictate the speed of the war, not idiots on twitter.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1497300062128463885

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley
Also just fyi Putin already has lots of experience dealing with an insurgency and is in fact popular in large part because he is good at it. Chechnya of today is still a nightmare in many ways but at least it's not an active war zone anymore.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
Canada now also supporting removing Russia from the SWIFT banking system.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

KaptainKrunk posted:

lol I don't think there's any indication Russia is losing

The media has been pushing hard on the idea that Putin not flattening Kiev in one night means actually he's losing and going insane and completely isolated and unhinged and dying of secret cancer. It's just grasping at straws to keep the war boner going.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

I have bad news for you - they have.

How much blood is shed before the government recognizes that is the open question.

how much russian blood is splilt on foriegn soil before they quit?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

also the Indian approach to the nalaxites

The CRPF has more training than some dope being given an extra AK off the army reserve. Salwa Judum stopped completely once the government found out that they were useless.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

How? They don't have to absorb economically backward places, make sure that NATO is kept out and business goes back to what it was.

His for-now friendly oligarchs are going to have lost a lot of money for nothing. If business ever actually goes back to normal, it will take a while for that to happen. They're already pretty mad at him, so if the best he can say he got out of this was what was being demanded before the invasion, that's not gonna be a happy conversation.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blarghalt posted:

I want nothing more than for Noah to try and assemble an IED

Noah three weeks later...

https://twitter.com/BadMedicalTakes/status/1495054726035034112

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CaptainACAB posted:

Also just fyi Putin already has lots of experience dealing with an insurgency and is in fact popular in large part because he is good at it. Chechnya of today is still a nightmare in many ways but at least it's not an active war zone anymore.

there's zero reality where Ukraine's insurgency, even backed by the west, can hold out, but they certainly can turn a fairly 'normal' annexation conflict into a bloodbath for both sides and that seems to be the goal a lot in the government are pushing for there.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Fwiw Ukraine had full conscription up until recently if I remember correctly

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

There's no benefit from going full Syria in Ukraine and flattening cities when you want a quick return to normalcy, stability and can accept a few friendly casualties.

Will be sad/funny if Ukraine gets desperate and starts freeing prisoners and gives them weapons. I hear that always ends well.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

American media is trying to under promise so any development seems amazing. Holy poo poo the Russians rapidly invading an urbanized European nation LOST A TANK! I bet they didn't expect that

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

found the documentary referenced here if anyone wants to take a gander

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiBXmbkwiSw&t=1s

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Is that Marueen Dowd's even dumber husband?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

One of my friend's friends got arrested in Moscow for protesting. Got 2 weeks in jail. :(

Morbus
May 18, 2004

500 good dogs posted:

[Eurasia] During this Russia/Ukraine conflict, I can't help but think about the Washington Capitals.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

FuzzySlippers posted:

American media is trying to under promise so any development seems amazing. Holy poo poo the Russians rapidly invading an urbanized European nation LOST A TANK! I bet they didn't expect that

70 tanks

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

guidoanselmi posted:

One of my friend's friends got arrested in Moscow for protesting. Got 2 weeks in jail. :(

I'm so sorry for your loss

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

guidoanselmi posted:

There's no benefit from going full Syria in Ukraine and flattening cities when you want a quick return to normalcy, stability and can accept a few friendly casualties.

Will be sad/funny if Ukraine gets desperate and starts freeing prisoners and gives them weapons. I hear that always ends well.

pretty much yea, western media is either pretending to or genuinely not understanding that 'war' doesn't always mean 'we turned every population center into smoking holes and marched in after'. The Russians don't have any reason to level the major cities and poo poo, they've been very clear the goal is a return to normal and even if you somehow could be sure you'd wipe out every grandpy with a gun doing it turning Kiev into a crater wouldn't do that.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/WorldAffairsPro/status/1497331814783877122?s=20&t=6QY3hP2_jpjeHZVlL_QsMg

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ukraine had a teenage former president? geez no wonder the euromaidans were mad

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/biden-admin-carefully-examining-legal-issues-providing-arms-ukraine-rcna17758

’’ posted:

Biden admin carefully examining legal issues around providing arms to Ukraine
A Republican congressional aide said there was bipartisan frustration with the pace of aid, but Biden admin officials said legal review was not slowing things down

aahhhhhhhhh why are they so loving stupid! if you want to give guns to Ukraine nobody gives a poo poo. If you want to say no then say no! get off the loving fence you assholes people are dying! decide!

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

ukraine just doing child soldiers and hitler youth over here

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Jst0rm posted:

70 tanks

lol okay?

That’s not much to take a country the size of France, on a war footing, in 3 days.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
UNSC meeting just started

Watch these together for the best experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CdY7t5VKIY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUC2EQvdzmY

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FuzzySlippers posted:

They airdropped a few hundred soldiers in contested airspace in a bid to end the war in 12 hours and it was eventually foiled, barely. Such massive incompetence!

And get this--they're throwing young undertrained conscripts in at the front line. Clearly they have sent their best in first rather than using expendable troops to clear the way, and the hundreds of thousands of troops with better equipment waiting in reserve are even younger and greener.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Americans really do not understand the true costs of war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

sexpig by night posted:

The media has been pushing hard on the idea that Putin not flattening Kiev in one night means actually he's losing and going insane and completely isolated and unhinged and dying of secret cancer. It's just grasping at straws to keep the war boner going.

the americans took a month to take iraq, a country that they had spent an entire decade literally starving. the press SHOULD remember that, given as they were furiously pleasuring themselves to it the entire time.