Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

szary posted:

I just got back from walking the dog, the 3 petrol stations in my area were completely empty, I suppose those who were going to panic buy already did. The prices did rise by 20 gr since this afternoon :ohdear:

gently caress, both of my cars are full but it might be a good idea to get an extra jerrycan or something. Totally not panic buying though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

According to analysis conducted by a media institute, the fuel price rise gossip in Poland that resulted in an afternoon run on stations was distributed by a network of 300 accounts previously tied to COVID disinformation.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Next thing you know the Poles are installing brand new screen doors on their submarines based off Instagram stories

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Nenonen posted:

But what about toilet paper? Are people hoarding tp yet?

surely they have a stash of soviet toilet paper just in case

i am amazed how that stuff has persisted

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

surely they have a stash of soviet toilet paper just in case

i am amazed how that stuff has persisted

I wiped my rear end with that in university. in 2014.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

In the dark days of 1980s Poland I remember going to buy a specific newspapers just for it's softer paper.
Some more informal info from PL/UA border: supposedly men aren't let out of Ukraine. On Polish side it looks to be under control, with most people having some relatives or friends waiting for them.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I wiped my rear end with that in university. in 2014.

Going by the quality, ours might've been from soviet era as well :v:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

alex314 posted:

In the dark days of 1980s Poland I remember going to buy a specific newspapers just for it's softer paper.
Some more informal info from PL/UA border: supposedly men aren't let out of Ukraine. On Polish side it looks to be under control, with most people having some relatives or friends waiting for them.

I've seen a tweet mention that Zelensky's latest mobilization order forbade fighting age men from leaving Ukraine. That could be the reason why they aren't let men cross the border.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Didn't see this bit of news mentioned elsewhere, but this is an excellent example of why both Latvia and Estonia (and EU in general) should have Russian speaking public media channels - broadcast, print and internet - that serves quality content.

https://twitter.com/SofiOksanen/status/1496949351863705600

Iceache
Jul 9, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzrpL1jFGZ4

A charity concert for the support of Ukraine is currently being held in Riga, right on the square across Russian embassy

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

a podcast for cats posted:

Didn't see this bit of news mentioned elsewhere, but this is an excellent example of why both Latvia and Estonia (and EU in general) should have Russian speaking public media channels - broadcast, print and internet - that serves quality content.

https://twitter.com/SofiOksanen/status/1496949351863705600

Translation of the story:

quote:

The Roskomnadzo office that watches media in Russia has sent a threat letter to Estonian public broadcasting company ERR.

The office demands ERR to remove from their rus.rr.ee site a news story about the breaking of war in Ukraine. The article in question is a short news story published on Thursday morning in which Ukraine's foreign minister Dmytro Kuleba tells Russian president Vladimir Putin to started a full scale assault on Ukraine.

The watch official threatens to prevent access to the Estonian broadcaster's Russian language site in Russia if the article is not removed within one day.

ERR says that they will not abide with the Russian official's demand.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Iceache posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzrpL1jFGZ4

A charity concert for the support of Ukraine is currently being held in Riga, right on the square across Russian embassy

Lai cik nu es būtu gatavs čīkstēt par latviešu mūziku, tiešām malači! Esmu ļoti patīkami izbrīnīts, un labprāt pats aizvilktos, ja ne vien C19 aizdomas, jo netālu dzīvoju.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'm way out of the loop on this, but EU countries with significant Russian-speaking populations seem like an obvious choice to provide a safe haven and all kinds of EU-funded support for Russian pro-democratic activists and media.

Iceache
Jul 9, 2009
Varu iedomāties, cik ļoti nozīmīgi un emocionāli tas ir tiem mūziķiem, kas ar dziesmām jau cīnījās pret padomju savienību, un jau atkal ir tie draudi.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Atzīmēšos tikai tāpēc, lai būtu ierakstījis latviski.

Edit: Hospitāļu iela and Ansamblis Manta ir ok. Neko citu diemžēl nav sanācis pamanīt.

Incidentally, this is an election year in Latvia and, while it is too early to tell, it seems that the war will make the results much more interesting.

Edit: Specifically, Šlesers and Gobzems have already received a lot of backlash.

a podcast for cats fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 25, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

e:^ At least Gobzems is not pretending, and just named his party "KaKa" right away :laffo:

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'm way out of the loop on this, but EU countries with significant Russian-speaking populations seem like an obvious choice to provide a safe haven and all kinds of EU-funded support for Russian pro-democratic activists and media.

Fun fact, we actually do that. One of the more popular opposition news websites in Russia - https://meduza.io/ - is based in Latvia. Our government was lovely wrt one of their journalists, though, if I recall correctly.

Iceache posted:

Varu iedomāties, cik ļoti nozīmīgi un emocionāli tas ir tiem mūziķiem, kas ar dziesmām jau cīnījās pret padomju savienību, un jau atkal ir tie draudi.

Es domāju, ka ne mūziķiem vien šis viss ir nedaudz surreāli - lielākajai daļai 50+ latviešu šī visa sāga būs atmiņām vīta.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 25, 2022

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

In Poland some aasholes started a run on banks and gas stations. Managed to fill the car today on 4th station I've visited only because someone sane ordered limits to 50L per car.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Antigravitas posted:

In utterly unrelated news, I learned about Volte Pravý Blok today. (And I won't write their full name because I don't want to summon a … gerontocratic demon right now)

And uh. Huh.

steinrokkan posted:

Like ten years ago I uploaded a ton of election spots ripped from TV to YouTube, among them one of Mr. Cibulka / Pravý blok. To this day I get the occasional notification that he himself had commented on the video with some fresh public announcement because apparently this video with triple digit views is a major part of his PR platform.

Speak of the devil, he's just shared his views on how the Czech Republic should respond to Russia:

quote:

Pravý Blok
19 hours ago
Ukrajina je poslední varování!!! Nestačí obnovit základní povinnou vojenskou službu, jakou jsme vždycky měli a jakou má i Ukrajina. Taková armáda - pod vedením vlastizrádných ruských fízlů - nás před Ruskem nikdy neubrání! Pokud to nechápete, podívejte se na Ukrajinu!!! Jediná armáda, schopná nás před Ruskem ubránit, je atomovými zbraněmi dokonale vyzbrojená armáda švýcarského typu, zbavená všech vlastizrádců v žoldu ruských KGB a GRU. Tedy politiků, novinářů, generálů a vyšších důstojníků v ozbrojených složkách! Nic jiného nás před Ruskem nezachrání!

And translated:

quote:

Ukraine is the final warning!!! It's not enough to reinstate mandatory conscription, which we always used to have, and which Ukraine still has to this day. Such an army - led by treasonous undercover agents - would do nothing to protect us from Russia! If you don't get that, just take a look at Ukraine! The only kind of army capable of protecting us from Russia would be armed with nuclear weapons, formed according to the Swiss model, and stripped of all the traitors on the payroll of Russian KGB and GRU. This means stripped of politicians, journalists, generals and high ranking officers serving in our armed forces! Nothing short of this is going to save us!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

There are hiccups in the fuel supply system, and apparently its due to social media disinformation brought to you by the same account groups that dealt with COVID disinformation. It’s not horrible - Yesterday I’d usually see one gas station with no gas, next one with premium only and the next one with normal supply and a 10-15 minute wait. There seems to be a lot of scorn among everyone towards people showing up with fuel drums to fill their own reserves, to the point where I think you’d get your rear end kicked if you did.

Also, some captain of the industry types tried gouging the price by increasing the prices on their petrol stations to to 10 PLN per litre. Apparently Orlen cut them out of their distribution network immediately. Oops.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

steinrokkan posted:

Speak of the devil, he's just shared his views on how the Czech Republic should respond to Russia:

And translated:
I cannot read this as anything but a suggestion that every Czech soldier should have a nuclear weapon at home, possibly with the triggering mechanism in a local armory.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's quite possible that's exactly what he means

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

steinrokkan posted:

It's quite possible that's exactly what he means
Clearly he doesn't think you're polite enough.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mokotow, the other thread is way too fast, so I’d like to repeat here that you’re a champion.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

:hfive:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
:same:

We were today at demonstration for over an hour. Had to leave when our toes started to freeze.

At home I listened on radio about a woman who got through to Poland, she had queued for two days outdoors.

(Just open the border, ffs.)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Isn't the border blocked on the Ukrainian side

That's what I read

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Isn't the border blocked on the Ukrainian side

That's what I read

That is correct. Poland opened border 2-4 days ago, for entry even without documents. Ukrainian side is only allowing cars to leave, and they're checking the documents and making sure men do not leave the country. Reportedly, there are tens of kilometres long queues on the Ukrainian side.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The controls on the Polish side took from 2 to 4 hours, including queuing, after you’re out from the Ukrainian side. There certainly was no free flow of anything or anyone (I know that’s not what you’re saying) BUT I did hear things might have been different on pedestrian crossings.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I stand corrected, fair enough. My main intent was to say that Polish border is significantly more open, from their side, than usually.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
Since it will probably be buried in the war thread I'm asking here. For my own sanity I haven't been reading news site comments etc. But whats the status on russian troll farms? From what I remember from 2014 we had quite a few russian citizens in this very thread going ham. This time around things seem a lot calmer on these dead gay forums despite an all around invasion going on.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Good question, and I don't have a solid answer for it. From what I can tell, there's fairly heavy disinformation pressure, but it seems to be more targeted at Russian-speaking internet this time? I guess, after 4 years of Donald Trump, both we and networks are much better at filtering, or simply not noticing, this kind of drivel.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

RocketSurgeon posted:

Since it will probably be buried in the war thread I'm asking here. For my own sanity I haven't been reading news site comments etc. But whats the status on russian troll farms? From what I remember from 2014 we had quite a few russian citizens in this very thread going ham. This time around things seem a lot calmer on these dead gay forums despite an all around invasion going on.

I haven’t gotten stranger scam texts in at least a couple years, got two with a naked link (no text or anything, just an obfuscated hyperlink) and one with a woman’s pic/was fantasizing about you messages this week alone

They are targeting our nation’s bathrobe wizards and this aggression will not stand, man

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1497604116775849990

About 30k people showed up in Tallinn's Freedom Square today and I was glad to be one of them.

Here's my crappy OC picture:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

That’s great to see and hear!

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
I was there. The first time I went to a protest meeting. Now I'm looking for a way to hand over some of my euros to Ukraine.

Red Cross it is then. I'm sure they'll get their stingers elsewhere.

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 26, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

There’s a thread for it right here in D&D!

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

My GF's brother was able to reach Poland after a day (24 hrs) at the border. Ukraine border guards were furious when they saw a Belarusian passport, threatened to shoot them, threatened to send them to Belarusian border to get killed by their own. Ultimately had to bribe them to be allowed into Poland in peace.

Also pretty loving chilling to hear his stories of driving through multiple blockposts on the way there with Belarusian license plates and having weapons aimed at them all the time. I can't really blame Ukranians for their anger, yet the dude barely escaped Lukashenko, now has to run again and is being sort of punished for Luka's actions while just trying to run away from him

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

loving Lukashenko, good loving job. I'd like to hope he'll fare better now in Poland, but there's likely going to be a wave of reactionary xenophobia there, much like in other nearby countries, Latvia including.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

We’ve had a lit of goodwill in Poland towards Belarus and I don’t think there’s a connection between the Luka-Putin betrayal of Ukraine and the average Belarusian here. Someone did however mention Ukrainians refusing to work with Belorussians on the Warsaw subway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Lots of angry/drunk Ukrainians on the streets of downtown Warsaw tonight. The Russian embassy has been vandalized a tad on the outside, but I wonder how lo g before a molotov gets lobbed over the fence.