Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Just open the borders you EU ghouls. gently caress documentation and due immigration process.

As a reminder you should call your federal representative and senators and tell them to file or create a TPS or refugee status for Ukrainians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Just open the borders you EU ghouls. gently caress documentation and due immigration process.

Save lives first, worry about documentation later!

Is what anyone with a shred of humanity would say, but alas

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Xibanya posted:

I’ll take a gangtag please.

But came in here to talk about Romania. I have a bunch of friends in Romania who are extremely nervous because if NATO gets drawn in they’re not in a very defensible position. Since they aren’t Slavs it doesn’t make sense for them to factor into Putin’s ambitions, but they do have all that nice coastal real estate. Doubt it would come to that but then, a lot of us doubted it would come to this.

In a sense they have a supremely defensible position, provided they're not directly on the Ukrainian/Moldovan border.
The Ukrainians would kill for Romanian terrain right now.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Mokotow posted:

Apparently it’s 24 hours to get through the crossing into Poland. Still waiting on the kiddies and cat, almost here which means one more hour.

Thanks to goon generosity, I’ll try to get a hotel in Warsaw for the girl heading to Germany so she can at least get some shut eye before her 18 hour bus trip to her family there. Apparently her brothers are sleeping in the car on the other side of the border, as they can’t make it back home anymore.

Guess I didn’t expect how much waiting this will entail!

I have donated to make sure you have petrol and you (+ the refugees) are fed. Thank you for your humanitarian work in a dark hour.

Please tell the refugees with the cat that they are good people for taking their cat with them. Make sure the cat is fed too, and I hope to see a photo :)

If any of my donation is left over, give it to the refugees. I am sure they will need it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tezzeract posted:

I think Pozner's main points were that post Soviet Union, Russia wanted to be friends with the US and kumbaya world peace.

But US was being an unattentive bully on the world stage and expanded its influence really close to Russia's borders via NATO. And Putin learned that the only way for his country to get respect was to be a dick too.

I think it's really important for this narrative to remember that Russia never stopped being a bully, its reach was just significantly reduced from global to regional. Hence why every state bordering it in Europe has rushed into NATO's arms as quickly as possible.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

No he didn't. NATO isn't going to invade another nuclear power. I don't know why people keep having to point this out.

That's what that poster seems to be saying? Putin knows NATO doesn't want to invade Russia.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Majorian posted:

No he didn't. NATO isn't going to invade another nuclear power. I don't know why people keep having to point this out.

That's the exact point that poster was making. That Putin's claims of being directly threatened by NATO are bullshit

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

I've added you to the list, its done.

Sign me up :)

Donated to Red Cross and Doctors without Borders.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

https://mobile.twitter.com/TSN_Sports/status/1497234776905842688

Guy either looks really determined or tired after his match not sure

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Xibanya posted:

I’ll take a gangtag please.

But came in here to talk about Romania. I have a bunch of friends in Romania who are extremely nervous because if NATO gets drawn in they’re not in a very defensible position. Since they aren’t Slavs it doesn’t make sense for them to factor into Putin’s ambitions, but they do have all that nice coastal real estate. Doubt it would come to that but then, a lot of us doubted it would come to this.
Romania is a lot more defensible than Ukraine

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

Probably a little fear in there as well, and rightfully so. That's a bold move and I'm sure he knows what the government could do to him if he steps too far out of line. Ranging from stripping his ability to play, imprisonment or worse.

That alone probably won't create much of a reaction though.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Grape posted:

In a sense they have a supremely defensible position, provided they're not directly on the Ukrainian/Moldovan border.
The Ukrainians would kill for Romanian terrain right now.

There was an interesting finality to remark from one of my friends last night “oh poo poo they took Snake Island. We’d [Ukraine and Romania] been arguing about it for awhile but I guess that settles it.”

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Preoptopus posted:

We are in the US thankfully. It's my families old apartment we have been renting out. My dad was toying with the idea of retiring and moving back and living in it. But besides that we have family and friends back there. I know it does not hold a candle to thoes who have gunfire outside their windows right now but this loving bullshit is disastrous for our family. I'm terrified we may flat out loose the apartment. Also seeing pictures of my dead country men, loving kids that should be in university studying, and people cheering for Russian death has been hard to handle.

Very much this for me, right down to the retiring dad who coincidentally has The Worst Takes. I find myself saying "Putin invaded Ukraine" and not "Russia invaded Ukraine." I'm fretting quite a bit about the rest of the fam who don't make a bunch of money already getting hit by the ripple-effect sanctions. My Russian, Ukrainan-surname-having self has been an anxious mess.

Russian security council votes no on himself and squashes the motion, loving duh

rear end in a top hat

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

OneMoreTime posted:

To add to what people have already said above, it appears to be filled with Kremlin-backed talking points. For instance, she mentions Ukrainian forces violating the ceasefire and shelling a Kindergarten in the Donbass region last week. However, all reporting I can find indicates it was Russian-backed separatists who fired on the Kindergarten, and some speculation it was an attempted false flag (which would seem ridiculous except, well, Russia's invaded and all).

Link to Kindergarten bombing story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/02/17/ukraine-russia-kindergarten-shelling/

The fact that it's possible to say "which kindergarten bombing" is pretty loving heartbreaking.

Russian warship go gently caress yourself.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Scaramouche posted:

Hell yeah dude. Sorry to hear this guy committed double-gunshot suicide.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Love how the UN Rep from Mexico says it will stand with the US and then goes on to state both the US and Spain have devastated them and taken half their lands in multiple invasions.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

лмао

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
China abstains, only Russia against. Ouch

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I'm woefully under informed about the geopolitics of this issue. Can someone point me to information on why/if this is a bad take.

I have friends on fb reposting similar stuff and I'm not sure what to take seriously because of general US imperialist history

Also on the Milosevic apologetics being used to justify Russias aggression, as someone with a ton of Serbian/Croatian/Macedonian family and who studied Eastern European history very seriously as an undergrad, can’t recommend the BBC six part documentary on the fall of Yugoslavia enough as a jumping off point to educate yourself more on the topic. It’s old but still holds up great. You should be able to find all six parts online https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3q5rku

What’s fantastic about the documentary is that it was filmed before all war crime trials happened so you actually had a bunch of interviews with the war criminals themselves in the documentary and you get a really good dose of how toxic that nationalist fervor that milosevic whipped up that led to genocide really was, and that was all really home-cooked, nothing to do with NATO.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Sir John Falstaff posted:

The fact that it's possible to say "which kindergarten bombing" is pretty loving heartbreaking.

Russian warship go gently caress yourself.

:( yeahhhhhh, it actual took a second to find because of that pretty bleak fact.

I hope Kviv gets through this night ok.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Amazing, who came up with this rule that if a single permanent member of the UN votes no then the motion doesn't pass?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Russia vetoed the draft resolution condemning the war in Ukraine - shocker. Russia was the only vote against, China abstained.

The meeting continues.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

That's what that poster seems to be saying? Putin knows NATO doesn't want to invade Russia.

Play posted:

That's the exact point that poster was making. That Putin's claims of being directly threatened by NATO are bullshit

Got it, sorry. What I get for multitasking.

In the meantime, least surprising news of the day:

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1497342131358285827

Play
Apr 25, 2006

go play outside Skyler posted:

Amazing, who came up with this rule that if a single permanent member of the UN votes no then the motion doesn't pass?

Russia and China wouldn't have joined otherwise iirc. Kind of making it pointless unless you're just enforcing your will on small unaffiliated states.

Of course, it's useless now anyways as well.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Play posted:

Kinda. He is directly threatened by NATO in the sense that many of the states he believes ought to be under his influence are NATO members.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

"Guys, we should have a space that all the major powers take part in and talk in so no one accidently starts WW3. And therefore we've got to give all the major powers power in it so they turn up and take it seriously."

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

OgNar posted:

Love how the UN Rep from Mexico says it will stand with the US and then goes on to state both the US and Spain have devastated them and taken half their lands in multiple invasions.

Shows you how terrible Putin is

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

Got it, sorry. What I get for multitasking.

In the meantime, least surprising news of the day:

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1497342131358285827

The interesting part: China has abstained, they didn't veto with Russia.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Fame Douglas posted:

The interesting part: China has abstained, they didn't veto with Russia.

Yeah they zoomed that camera right on him for that

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

KitConstantine posted:

Russia vetoed the draft resolution condemning the war in Ukraine - shocker. Russia was the only vote against, China abstained.

The meeting continues.

There were three abstentions. I saw China, India and didn't catch the third.

Who was it?

Also, didn't know India was an ally of Russia.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Big Slammu posted:

Also on the Milosevic apologetics being used to justify Russias aggression, as someone with a ton of Serbian/Croatian/Macedonian family and who studied Eastern European history very seriously as an undergrad, can’t recommend the BBC six part documentary on the fall of Yugoslavia enough as a jumping off point to educate yourself more on the topic. It’s old but still holds up great. You should be able to find all six parts online https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3q5rku

What’s fantastic about the documentary is that it was filmed before all war crime trials happened so you actually had a bunch of interviews with the war criminals themselves in the documentary and you get a really good dose of how toxic that nationalist fervor that milosevic whipped up that led to genocide really was, and that was all really home-cooked, nothing to do with NATO.

As a Serbian i can confirm there’s a shitload of Cetniks that ruined it for everyone. Milosevic was a loving disaster. And what’s weird was we all knew it.
They used to say
“Glasaj te za Slobu i biće te u grobu”

It turned out to be prophetic. Milan Panic should’ve led Serbia instead.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

I assume they had to implement this rule or the permanent states would not have joined the security council in the first place.

The thinking is all about diplomacy: "Yes, each permanent state having a veto may cause problems, but it's better to have them at the table with a veto than to have the security council not exist at all when they refuse to join (because they have no veto)".

You can choose for yourself if you agree with the thinking.

(Maybe there's another reason, I'm not a UN historian. This seems likely though.)

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Haven't seen this posted here yet, but it looks like NATO is gearing up.

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1497280435612758017

Xibanya posted:

If I was in Moldova, I'd be getting worried Putin will just keep his tanks rolling. :tinfoil:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

OddObserver posted:

Kinda. He is directly threatened by NATO in the sense that many of the states he believes ought to be under his influence are NATO members.

Yes, certainly in that way just not in the way he means it, as if NATO and the west are just gonna up and invade Russia someday. loving lunacy, although of course Putin knows that just like he knows that Ukraine does not require 'denazification'.

Also, classic China, abstaining on the vote. loving cowardly authoritarian-minded fucks

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

The designers of the UN who lamented the failures of the League of Nations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

India is "deeply disturbed" - interesting. I didn't see they were one of the other abstentions. Russia and India have been developing closer ties and Russia sees them as a a major ally in any new Multipolar world

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Else there would be no security council at all as members would have withdrawn from the UN the first time they have a decision against them.

This power gets abused by the permanent members all the time - for istance the US has blocked countless resolutions condemning Israel for agressions against Palestine.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

There were three abstentions. I saw China, India and didn't catch the third.

Who was it?

Also, didn't know India was an ally of Russia.

UAE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I bet America would be down for a war if our last two hadn't just ended. It takes a decade or two to get the bloodlust going again

Fellow authoritarian petrostates, I guess