Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Henchman of Santa posted:

How much of that is them being a group of female athletes? Out lesbians in sports have been commonplace for much longer than gay male athletes, but I am also too young to remember the mid-90s with any cognizance of that kind of thing.

Also it’s more believable for some characters than others. Nat identifies with outsiders. Laura Lee died before learning about anyone being gay. Jackie seems like she’d be a Mean Girl about it.

I had a friend who came out as a lesbian in 96 during of sophomore year. She quit the field hockey team almost immediately then dropped out and cut off everyone she knew from the school within a month. The guys who came out didn't have it easy, but if their friends backed them the bullies eventually found easier targets. My friend had to deal with the full mean girl campaign as well as the rear end in a top hat guys who thought they had just what she needed to 'fix' her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Question for someone who knows about these things, what would have been the right course of action for these girls? They didn't seem very preoccupied with being found in general. There's a reasonably sizeable open area at the lake, at least make an effort to put up a giant SOS-sign there or something. Especially since judging from episode 8 the team is preternaturally gifted at clearing a forest.

I think assuming nobody would be coming to help them the best bet might be to follow any kind of water downstream as a group?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

kanonvandekempen posted:

I think assuming nobody would be coming to help them the best bet might be to follow any kind of water downstream as a group?
They tried that and got eaten by wolves.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

kanonvandekempen posted:

Question for someone who knows about these things, what would have been the right course of action for these girls?

I'm no expert, i just watched tons of Bear Grylls, so the best bet of survival would have been for them to immediately start drinking their own piss.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

kanonvandekempen posted:

Question for someone who knows about these things, what would have been the right course of action for these girls? They didn't seem very preoccupied with being found in general. There's a reasonably sizeable open area at the lake, at least make an effort to put up a giant SOS-sign there or something. Especially since judging from episode 8 the team is preternaturally gifted at clearing a forest.

In almost every scenario the best plan is to sit tight, or if you have to move do it with a clear landmark in mind and leave clear directions on where you went. Search parties work in a grid system and moving around means you could cross into an area already searched and crossed off.

Though in most scenarios you won't have a psychopath that destroys your black box because she wants to feel special.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I mean what gets me about the black box is that, especially in the mid-90s, to find an black with a GPS would be exceedingly loving rare.

The black box records control inputs and sensor data from the Flight Data Recorder, along with cockpit voice data as well. It does not, however, possess its own GPS transponder. They have an underwater locator beacon, but that only goes off when it's submerged, and is just that - a beacon. It emits a sonar pulse when it's underwater, and is otherwise useless for above-ground incidents.

From what I'm seeing, it looks like the NTSB recommended in 1999 that deployable recorders become a thing - in the case of an event, the aircraft ejects them and they're equipped with a location transmitter, but not a GPS one. Image recorders, which I can't find a date for the NTSB's suggestion, eject and might be equipped with a GPS.

Chances are, though, and my point is, that Misty did all of jack poo poo when she ruined the black box.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

My survival plan would have been to walk to the Cessna and call for rescue on the radio. If that didn't work, ride a bear south to the nearest city.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Just start a giant fire with green wood (for the smoke) on the lakeshore. Won't get out of hand, and while Canada is remote, it's 1996 - we were looking for forest fires.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kanonvandekempen posted:

I never leave the house but I've seen a few seasons of the Alone show so I know what I'm talking about.

Once it became clear that they aren't getting rescued, it would depend on where they were. just looking at the map, if it's anywhere in the southern Canada (where it might make sense for them to fly over), they should've just walk out of there. Even in pretty empty areas it seems like they'd hit a town or at least a road in 100-150 miles. Might not be easy in the terrain but better than the alternative.

Because if there was one thing I learned from that show, is that you aren't surviving any prolonged time in the wilderness, especially in winter. All the contestants were experienced adults with survival equipment and nobody lasted more than a few month and those that did were constantly starving. Our group is a bit lucky in that they found the cabin but once they run out of deer they're hosed anyway.

If they crashed somewhere in northern Ontario or something like i've heard people say (though no idea WTF they would be doing up there), I'll agree that probably a giant fire :shrug:

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
They wouldn't have had to really clear that landing strip. If a plane (that still runs) landed there, someone else cleared it first.

edit. They obviously should do whatever Dick Proenneke would do.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Withnail posted:

They wouldn't have had to really clear that landing strip. If a plane (that still runs) landed there, someone else cleared it first.

edit. They obviously should do whatever Dick Proenneke would do.

I think they meant clear an already existing landing strip of new growth and random detritus, not like clear cut a whole new runway. I don’t know if they could’ve done the latter in a relevant timeframe and after they’re done there are already airplane-sized tire marks in the ground leading to the lake.

Also, if you’ve ever cut down a tree with just an axe and a rope, it looks absolutely nothing like what they showed.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

angerbeet posted:

Just start a giant fire with green wood (for the smoke) on the lakeshore. Won't get out of hand, and while Canada is remote, it's 1996 - we were looking for forest fires.

This is what I would do, also make a raft and head down the river

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

But would the forest demon god let you do that? I want Bear Grylls' answer to that question.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Just got done binging this. Largely I think it's... fine? Pretty good? I think? I wasn't sure what I was getting in to except cannibals and Lost and teenage drama, obviously it's a lot more of a psychological horror than that which is good though.

I'm not quite sure where I land on the whole supernatural/natural split though. Bear aside, there's been nothing that couldn't be explained by natural causes, but there's clearly something else going on around it which hasn't been explained yet. Kind of disappointed they went down the cult route though.

I'm also still half thinking the cannibalism part of it is overblown or a complete misdirection. This might be completely wrong by the time season 2 comes out, but I kind of think they either didn't eat each other at all (but something else happened) or they only ate people who had already died (Jackie and Ben/Van succumbing to their injuries). I'm willing to believe they get weird about this, but whole opening chase scene could be misinterpreted (maybe that pit was dug to trap animals, not humans, and the reason she was running was unrelated) than just hunting man.

One other thing is what the gently caress is the timeline of them being in the woods. They've apparently played out a whole season of football/soccer before going to Nationals (what is it with America's obsession with loving nationals anyway) so I guess their earliest they could be doing something is around... late October time? (do they ever actually say when it is?). Ben's leg seems to have healed naturally at this point so we're probably a month or two down the line. Van's face has healed so can we tack on another few weeks? But it's first snow of winter so... yeah it's just a bit inconsistent.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Girls soccer is either in the fall or the spring depending on the state. Considering the school baseball team was mentioned on some sign, and Jackie and Shauna know where they're going to college, that would lead me to believe they left in spring. That would mean they've been out there for six or seven months already. If it was fall then they haven't been out there for more than a couple of months.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

EvilHawk posted:

Just got done binging this. Largely I think it's... fine? Pretty good? I think? I wasn't sure what I was getting in to except cannibals and Lost and teenage drama, obviously it's a lot more of a psychological horror than that which is good though.

I'm not quite sure where I land on the whole supernatural/natural split though. Bear aside, there's been nothing that couldn't be explained by natural causes, but there's clearly something else going on around it which hasn't been explained yet. Kind of disappointed they went down the cult route though.

I'm also still half thinking the cannibalism part of it is overblown or a complete misdirection. This might be completely wrong by the time season 2 comes out, but I kind of think they either didn't eat each other at all (but something else happened) or they only ate people who had already died (Jackie and Ben/Van succumbing to their injuries). I'm willing to believe they get weird about this, but whole opening chase scene could be misinterpreted (maybe that pit was dug to trap animals, not humans, and the reason she was running was unrelated) than just hunting man.

One other thing is what the gently caress is the timeline of them being in the woods. They've apparently played out a whole season of football/soccer before going to Nationals (what is it with America's obsession with loving nationals anyway) so I guess their earliest they could be doing something is around... late October time? (do they ever actually say when it is?). Ben's leg seems to have healed naturally at this point so we're probably a month or two down the line. Van's face has healed so can we tack on another few weeks? But it's first snow of winter so... yeah it's just a bit inconsistent.

The producers said (wo)man eating is on the way

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Allie was having a hissy fit in ep 1 about missing prom ("I'm the only freshman who got asked") --if it was homecoming then she wouldn't need an upperclassman to bring her. And they time their homecoming/doomcoming with the onset of fall, which is when most high school homecomings take place.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

EvilHawk posted:

played out a whole season of football/soccer before going to Nationals (what is it with America's obsession with loving nationals anyway)

Reminds me of the regionals thing in community.

"Regionals are this close."
"What the hell are regionals, anyway?"
"They're THIS CLOSE, Pearce!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQtVmGO3cu4

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Henchman of Santa posted:

Girls soccer is either in the fall or the spring depending on the state. Considering the school baseball team was mentioned on some sign, and Jackie and Shauna know where they're going to college, that would lead me to believe they left in spring. That would mean they've been out there for six or seven months already. If it was fall then they haven't been out there for more than a couple of months.

Shauna does look about six to seven months pregnant. Certainly more than a couple months.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I'm still salty about the lengths they went to to make Adam a Yavi red herring. Misdirection is fine and good but it sucks when it's designed to pull the rug on careful viewers like "Psych! It was all just ridiculous coincidence, idiot."

I feel like Shauna would be able to recognize someone she spend over a year in the woods with.

Just caught up, I assumed the bear Lottie killed had just eaten Javi and was tripping balls, but then they would have probably found a partially digested boy while butchering it.

I also assume Lottie has been in a psych ward all this time which is where she's grown her cult.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/yellowjackets-season-two-lauren-ambrose-van-1235197144/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

That is amazingly good casting.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I call to order this, the first meeting of The Van Stans.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

If anyone isn't watching Servant, they really should be. Especially for Lauren Ambrose's great facial expressions.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

EvilHawk posted:

what is it with America's obsession with loving nationals anyway

you understand that in sports, it's prestigious and thus desirable to win a tournament, correct?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Riptor posted:

you understand that in sports, it's prestigious and thus desirable to win a tournament, correct?

I wonder if this is a context thing, like America is pretty huge just in simple terms of space and population. Ireland has 5 million people while New York has 19 million. So like, maybe what a european country thinks of as a national tournament is more comparable to a regional, state-level tournament in the US? And winning a national tournament in the US is comparable to winning an international all-Europe cup or something?

I fully admit I'm guessing about something I don't really know about so this could be totally wrong, but on the other hand I don't care about football tournaments either way.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Riptor posted:

This reminds me of the Community bit about regionals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQtVmGO3cu4

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

XboxPants posted:

I wonder if this is a context thing, like America is pretty huge just in simple terms of space and population. Ireland has 5 million people while New York has 19 million. So like, maybe what a european country thinks of as a national tournament is more comparable to a regional, state-level tournament in the US? And winning a national tournament in the US is comparable to winning an international all-Europe cup or something?

I fully admit I'm guessing about something I don't really know about so this could be totally wrong, but on the other hand I don't care about football tournaments either way.

Europe cares lots about football tournaments.

Which is why they have an entire panoply of various leagues at various levels, so no one would ever care about any variety of secondary school team unless they were like the player or a parent of a player. And I'm sure there's some way that a German youth football club might play their French counterpart, but see above, no one would give a poo poo. Or at least not enough of a poo poo that I've never heard of it and I'm a German football fan.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Europe cares lots about football tournaments.

Which is why they have an entire panoply of various leagues at various levels, so no one would ever care about any variety of secondary school team unless they were like the player or a parent of a player. And I'm sure there's some way that a German youth football club might play their French counterpart, but see above, no one would give a poo poo. Or at least not enough of a poo poo that I've never heard of it and I'm a German football fan.

Do they not have football scholarships in europe? In the US, sports scholarships are one of the only ways to try to move up in the world for low income students, it's a large part of our education system. If you can play basketball or football well you might not have to spend your life being broken down doing back-breaking physical labor in some shithole town until you die.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

XboxPants posted:

Do they not have football scholarships in europe? In the US, sports scholarships are one of the only ways to try to move up in the world for low income students, it's a large part of our education system. If you can play basketball or football well you might not have to spend your life being broken down doing back-breaking physical labor in some shithole town until you die.

No, poor people can go to school without needing to throw ball good too.

(I'm American too. I know how our capitalist hellscape works.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
have you guys considered voting tho

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

XboxPants posted:

Football is separated from school in a way that isn't true in the US. To have any hope of being a professional football player you need to be in the academy of a professional football club from a young age

Of course schools have football teams, but they're not a pipeline to future football careers

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
European sports vis a vis American ones is different in a lot of ways. Like, there isn't necessarily a bajillion dollars in it, but there's more public support. I had a French rugby teammate who thinks it's ridiculous that the local government doesn't pay for public fields with locker rooms and showers, etc.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Watched this recently and really enjoyed it. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say while it's a great hook, after finishing the season I wish they had not showed the whole Antler Queen ritual stuff in the pilot. Watching the gradual progression of how things get more and more hosed up would have been interesting on its own without knowing where it goes. However it is still a great hook and I get wanting to grab people instead of risking the chance that you don't find an audience when your show is starting off.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

XboxPants posted:

I went to a university that is ranked roughly the same as a sub-top US university (let's say university of California). In my country there are 2-3 universities of that level all competing to get as many students as possible. The only requirement to get in is to have completed your secondary education. The idea of anyone ever asking about your grades as an entry requirement is laughable. Enrollment fees for one year of university education are about 1/3 of a monthly wage, however that doesn't cover books or cost of living. For people whose family situation is more difficult (lower income, bigger families), the government will give you a grant (not a loan) to study, again, without looking at your previous grades. I had a few friends who studied with those, who'd never be able to make it through college without.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/kateaurthur/status/1559963826765717507?s=21&t=u_dnIkDkoRi3fween1pBTQ

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

I…am whelmed. (In fairness, Courtney Eaton made a representational casting request that heavily limited who they could choose to play Adult Lottie.)

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

They fail to mention Six Feet Under as one of her credits? Painful

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Calling her a 'star' of Kenobi seems generous. She was in... Three scenes or so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I have no idea who Kessell is and whether it's good or bad she was cast here :v: looking forward to finding out in S2 though.