Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

go play outside Skyler posted:

Amazing, who came up with this rule that if a single permanent member of the UN votes no then the motion doesn't pass?

UK, USA and USSR mostly, who wanted to protect their influence around the world. France and (Nationalist) China were also in favor, but their influence was much more limited in 1945.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

MadJackal posted:

It is stunning how awful "Leftists for Putin" will impact any post-Bernie organization in the US while staring down the barrel of Trump 2024.

Yeah, at least the leftists that refused to condemn Stalin could claim to be holding on to some vague loyalty to the original spirit of communism. Praising Putin is just willingly abetting the primary financier and signal-booster for every modern fascist movement on the planet.

At least Putin's inroads with the right wingers in Eastern Europe seems to have been upset by his idiotic crusade. It'd be nice if Orban and his ilk were undermined by their association with, or betrayal of, Putin.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/r...ies-01645735806

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Can someone explain the German helmet thing to me? Is that real? It feels like a joke. What is wrong with Germany?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

The rules aren't designed to be fair they're designed to make the organization work.

The permanent members of the security council get a veto because they are powerful enough to de facto veto.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I assume they had to implement this rule or the permanent states would not have joined the security council in the first place.

The thinking is all about diplomacy: "Yes, each permanent state having a veto may cause problems, but it's better to have them at the table with a veto than to have the security council not exist at all when they refuse to join (because they have no veto)".

You can choose for yourself if you agree with the thinking.

(Maybe there's another reason, I'm not a UN historian. This seems likely though.)

Yeah, it was made very clear early on that "no veto, no UN."

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Upgrade posted:

Can someone explain the German helmet thing to me? Is that real? It feels like a joke. What is wrong with Germany?

in a pinch you could also take a poo poo in one if you lack plumbing. so that's nice

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Norway coming in hard and actually called out that Russia should have abstained from voting since they are a party to the war. Even the US and UK didn't mention that.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Big Slammu posted:

Also on the Milosevic apologetics being used to justify Russias aggression, as someone with a ton of Serbian/Croatian/Macedonian family and who studied Eastern European history very seriously as an undergrad, can’t recommend the BBC six part documentary on the fall of Yugoslavia enough as a jumping off point to educate yourself more on the topic. It’s old but still holds up great. You should be able to find all six parts online https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3q5rku

What’s fantastic about the documentary is that it was filmed before all war crime trials happened so you actually had a bunch of interviews with the war criminals themselves in the documentary and you get a really good dose of how toxic that nationalist fervor that milosevic whipped up that led to genocide really was, and that was all really home-cooked, nothing to do with NATO.

It also should be infinitely more understandable to Americans right now in our Trump world. Milosevic (and Tudjman to a lesser degree) really really really clearly are... the same species. Populists. Mob rousing opportunists. Driving people insane at lightning speed leading to horrible poo poo no one imagined possible.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Upgrade posted:

It's both real and a joke in that it's hilarious.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1497344191474528258

big if true,

but big IF there

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Hannibal Rex posted:

If I was in Moldova, I'd be getting worried Putin will just keep his tanks rolling. :tinfoil:

They do apparently have some pro-Russia separatist regions and are Romanian-speaking Slavs. There’s also a push for unification with Romania. So there are opportunities to exploit there.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Feels to me like it's easier for China/India to abstain if they already know that Russia's just gonna veto and not abstain as well.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jarmak posted:

The rules aren't designed to be fair they're designed to make the organization work.

The permanent members of the security council get a veto because they are powerful enough to de facto veto.

They were also worried about the potential power of the UN being abused by some of the major powers ganging up on one or two others. Lack of mutual trust meant they all had to agree for anything to happen.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Upgrade posted:

The SPD is the largest party in government and a good share of their leadership is in the pockets of Putin - going so far as to create an "enviromental foundation" to protect NS2 against US sanctions.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Mokotow posted:

For any one willing to chip in gas money, you can paypal me @kylofon . Don’t need much but it’d help. Thanks!

Just learned the two girls Im waiting for are 12 and 15 and also there’s a cat. Still waiting though, apparently their mom will hand them off and shes going back to the dad waiting on the other side.

Thank you so much for helping others. I sent some money for gas, food, or whatever helps.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
I did find Ukraine's attempt the first night say that Russia should not be the official inheritor of the USSR's veto power interesting. I wonder if you can make a solid legalistic case for it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

There were three abstentions. I saw China, India and didn't catch the third.

Who was it?

Also, didn't know India was an ally of Russia.

India is a client state, they buy a lot of military gear from Russia.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There's also a more nuanced reason for the Veto - the five permament members (apart from China, but this was anticipated) are the only nations with the capability of deploying troops globally, which means that they are the ones who would actually be expected to do something if the SC voted for peacekeeping action somewhere. The veto exists to stop the non-permement members voting for someone else's army to go do something.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Xibanya posted:

Romanian-speaking Slavs.

Come again?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Upgrade posted:

They blocked Estonia sending over some 7 ancient artillery pieces, and offered 5000 infantry helmets as aid. Which they are about ready to start delivering.

As for what's wrong... part of it is a bunch of their elder statesmen being literally on Russian payroll, part capitalism, part misdirected guilt over WW2, completely ignoring that a lot of the "Russians" they were murdering were actually Ukrainians, and Belorusians, and Georgians, and Armenians, and many other peoples.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

The USSR helped India extensively during the Cold War, and India still buys a lot of weapons from Russia today.

While ostensibly a democracy, India has a ethno-authoritarian streak that's been getting worse recently.

India's also part of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation along with Russia and China.

I personally suspect that if any other member of the SCO was on the council, they would have abstained as well.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The russian representative should have removed his shoe and pound his desk in protest, just for old times sake.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Grape posted:

Come again?

They speak Romanian in Moldova, but they’re ethnically Slavs and use Cyrillic.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

India's current leader very much wishes he was Putin and could turn india into a ethno-state dictatorship.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Play posted:

I bet America would be down for a war if our last two hadn't just ended. It takes a decade or two to get the bloodlust going again

the US is still involved in Somalia, Yemen, Syria

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Angry Lobster posted:

The russian representative should have removed his shoe and pound his desk in protest, just for old times sake.

I still can't believe I'm seeing the new Cold War turn hot before my eyes.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ukraine command says they shot down IL-76

Thats could be about 140 soldiers on board

https://twitter.com/GeneralStaffUA/status/1497344479094792195?t=wB8_qPWnyJv8gR6rIMa9ZQ&s=19

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Boat Stuck posted:

I still can't believe I'm seeing the new Cold War turn hot before my eyes.

You're not, it's not hot between anyone but Russia and Ukraine right now.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
In the long run India cannot join the USA, Australia, Japan in the Quad in opposition to China and still prop up Russia given how Russia is rapidly becoming a Chinese client state. They are going to have to pick a side. But that side is not today it seems.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Upgrade posted:

In the runup to the Russian invasion (I almost typed Soviet :lol::bang: ) when other NATO countries were sending missile launchers and ammunition and other assorted weaponry to Ukraine, Germany's contribution was a couple thousand helmets.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

OddObserver posted:

part of it is a bunch of their elder statesmen being literally on Russian payroll

Do you have a source for this claim?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

India accounts for 23% of russian arms exports, and russia is almost 50% of indian arms imports.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I'm sorry the German thing feels like parody. How much do those helmets even cost? I feel like goons have done more to help.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Upgrade posted:

To steelman the German position: at the time Germany was concerned that sending lethal means to support Ukraine would escalate. There's some reasonable truth to this in a general sense--if your enemy's support is supposed to arrive in a country you're thinking about invading by Tuesday, then you should probably go invade by Monday. Additionally, Germany has a specific article in its constitution prohibiting "acts tending to and undertaken with intent to disturb the peaceful relations between nations." If, while at peace, providing weapons was potentially disturbing the peace, then maybe Germany needed to be careful about how it supported Ukraine.

Edit: I'm just guessing at this though, but when Germany and Japan do weird poo poo, sometimes the answer is that they're weird, but it's often a result of WW2 being baked into the founding of their modern implementations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

In the runup to the Russian invasion (I almost typed Soviet :lol::bang: ) when other NATO countries were sending missiles and ammunition to Ukraine, Germany's donation was a couple thousand helmets.

Also most of those countries were able to fairly quickly approve and deliver stuff like missiles. Germany took until today to deliver some simple helmets. But germany's government are all either directly in Putin's pocket via gas and business ties, or the worst sort of useful idiots on the left.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Upgrade posted:

They have a law that prevents them from delivering weapons to conflict regions, which is why they chose helmets instead.

GaussianCopula posted:

The SPD is the largest party in government and a good share of their leadership is in the pockets of Putin - going so far as to create an "enviromental foundation" to protect NS2 against US sanctions.

Please don't spread weird fake news. And protecting NS2 against US sanctions made sense. NS2 not being active also didn't save Ukraine from invasion, I don't get the point of still making this failed argument against NS2.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Liberal_Isms/status/1497343653500669954?s=20&t=mwXemnmDpCfjuW_VZ2HJTg

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Grammarchist posted:

Yeah, at least the leftists that refused to condemn Stalin could claim to be holding on to some vague loyalty to the original spirit of communism. Praising Putin is just willingly abetting the primary financier and signal-booster for every modern fascist movement on the planet.

At least Putin's inroads with the right wingers in Eastern Europe seems to have been upset by his idiotic crusade. It'd be nice if Orban and his ilk were undermined by their association with, or betrayal of, Putin.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/r...ies-01645735806

Viktor is a fuckin oval office and said he will continue to trade with Russia of course, because we took shitloads of money from them, and they are building our new nuclear power plant as well. Elections here in April, I wonder how much this poo poo will hurt him. Currently they keep saying that the opposition here wants to send troops to Ukraine, but Orban and his government wont be dragged into the conflict because they value the safety of the Hungarian people above all else.

To say something positive about Hungary, our Help Ukraine facebook group is already at 50k members, and its heartwarming to see how many people offer to take in refugees to their homes or help with cars to get people coming through to places they can warm up or wait for pickup by relatives or simply drive them to cities. We had universities open their dorms for refugees as well. (Even Vodafone Hungary came and made calls between Hungary and Ukraine free of charge.)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Helmets, the dry hump of military aid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

While I will continue to take pot shots at Germany for many reasons, they also sent Ukraine at least one fully equipped field hospital.