Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
finished on HMP

-theres a frok after you get on top of the outdoors plateau that lets you go through a door or drop into an arena for the blue key. the steps into the blue key area cant be seen from the platform so it looks like a one way drop. idk if theres a better way to make it clear you can just walk back up. i decided to go through the door and it led to a dead end, though it did give me the chaingun which helped in the blue key fight.

-the blue key switch is hosed. i had to rub all over the totem and spam use to trigger the ambush. and i still have no idea what triggered it.

-the area after said door is kind of boring. it thankfully isnt a boring doom maze like it appears at first, but theres like a pillar in there that idk what it does its just kinda there, making it seem like theres more paths than there are, and then you fight a couple dudes and thats done. If you do this before the Blue Key you get really starved for ammo here.

-the yellow door bars open individually. find a way to make them both open when you use either. i think you tag both sectors to the same Tag number for that to happen.

-You really like spamming a lot of pinkies which can be fine sometimes, but after getting the SSG they lose a lot of their pressure. I like that despite that theres still hitscanners, cacos and hellknights to keep it a bit more interesting.

-the final fight where the sector slowly descends into different heights, making a staircase is cool, and i cant imagine how long that must have taken you to pull off.

its alright for a first attempt and i dont think id do much better with how out of the game ive been wrt doom mapping. congrats. ill do UV later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

looking forward to when IT has a few more maps so that he can claim the trophy for "greatest video game made by a poster for the imp zone" currently held by lurdiak.

I hold this for making the Morrowind mod Muffinwind which isn't as monkey cheese as it sounds but in fairness I was like 15.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
im pretty sure pleasingfungus who used to post here and maybe still does idk released two games on steam

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ArfJason posted:

finished on HMP

-theres a frok after you get on top of the outdoors plateau that lets you go through a door or drop into an arena for the blue key. the steps into the blue key area cant be seen from the platform so it looks like a one way drop. idk if theres a better way to make it clear you can just walk back up. i decided to go through the door and it led to a dead end, though it did give me the chaingun which helped in the blue key fight.

-the blue key switch is hosed. i had to rub all over the totem and spam use to trigger the ambush. and i still have no idea what triggered it.

-the area after said door is kind of boring. it thankfully isnt a boring doom maze like it appears at first, but theres like a pillar in there that idk what it does its just kinda there, making it seem like theres more paths than there are, and then you fight a couple dudes and thats done. If you do this before the Blue Key you get really starved for ammo here.

-the yellow door bars open individually. find a way to make them both open when you use either. i think you tag both sectors to the same Tag number for that to happen.

-You really like spamming a lot of pinkies which can be fine sometimes, but after getting the SSG they lose a lot of their pressure. I like that despite that theres still hitscanners, cacos and hellknights to keep it a bit more interesting.

-the final fight where the sector slowly descends into different heights, making a staircase is cool, and i cant imagine how long that must have taken you to pull off.

its alright for a first attempt and i dont think id do much better with how out of the game ive been wrt doom mapping. congrats. ill do UV later

tyvm for all this. blue key I can fix, I know how to do the trigger I want better and need to go tweak it. As a heads up UV is identical I haven't done difficulties yet, but what you played is what I would eventually leave UV at. I think I'll do different ambushes for the final area since I used a lot of pinkies as I ran out of ideas. I can fiddle with it

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ArfJason posted:

im pretty sure pleasingfungus who used to post here and maybe still does idk released two games on steam

He's one of the guys who works on dungeon crawl. He made the new god.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

In Training posted:

alright the first pass of enemy design is done...would anybody wanna playtest this level. i need to do hella texturing work but i think gameplay wise its where i want to be. click here to check it out.

this was really loving cool

I had the same weird poo poo going on as Arf with the switch by the blue key pillar, not sure what that was exactly

my only other note is that there were a couple of times you open a door to a ledge full of enemies facing you, and every fiber of my being wished there were explosive barrels on those ledges too lol

ending was fantastic, great dynamic movement on the level geometry. Really liked this map

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

everyone knows the best 'imp game' currently made is bob's mario maker levels lol.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

btw what engine did you guys use to play my level. i made a bunch of tweaks and im gonna call it Done now and upload it somewhere and wanna add any notes about what engines it was tested in.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

mine was GZDoom, latest build

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Gzdoom strict compat

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CHeers. Thanks all. Here it is, if there's still problems with the switch it's some issue with using UDMF in Eternity vs GZDoom, and I'll have to go to computer school to figure it out.

Welcome to Nukeway Temple

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
not a bad first map at all! played in latest gzdoom, didn't see any obvious bugs. my only real complaints are about cosmetic stuff like the use of the light texture on the ceiling in the start area and the flat lighting, but that's all stuff you'll pick up as you do more

didn't find any secrets, though

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Doesn't run in my port of choice so I'll play it later.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

resaving the map nodes with a different configured builder such as zennode or zokumbsp should fix that error

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

Doesn't run in my port of choice so I'll play it later.

prob. because it's udmf format

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i updated it to zennode and the same link should be hosting the revised version. right here

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
i played the map. its still broken in dsda doom (so it won't work in prboom+ either). it also doens't work in crispy doom but i haven't updated it in two years so idk if it supports udmf or w/e probalby not but maybe.

works in the latest gzdoom ofc. i guess i hadn't used it yet because the trilinear filtering was on, autorun was off, and mouselook and jumping were enabled by default. gross!

anyway pretty good first try map, certainly better than my attempts (lazy squares). didn't notice any obvious bugs, the switches worked and doors worked. no obviously misaligned textures or anything.

my main suggestion is to try mixing up the enemies a bit. there are a LOT of pinkies. since you took the time to put pillars in both the combat arenas you could throw in a revenant or two (or even an archvile). for example the second wave in the blue key area that reveals the ssg and chaingun you could replace some of the pinkies with a revanent or two to force the player to hussle a bit. same thing with the last exit switch, subtract some pinkies and add an archie since theres pillars to hide + some corpses. NO one expects the end of level archvile! hell you could even implement only those enemies in uv. there seems to be enough ammo between the two big fight areas to handle a couple more higher tier monsters.

i did appreciate that the final switch revealed a baron instead of a knight, since he killed all the pinkies and cacos for me.

anyway good job. bye

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSoCmAoIMOU wow

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol cool

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

CANYON.WAD

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Badass.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
i've mostly been playing smelden ring but i did finished the hit wad from 2017 or something wad "tangerine nightmare." nice visuals

recomended if you like the color orange. 8 maps that don't wear out their welcome. map 7 has one of the coolest ssecret hunts i've seen in a wad. i guess technically theres 10 maps but one is a credits map and map 10 is a secret map that is stupidly difficult and i keep dying even with massive save scumming.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

i've mostly been playing smelden ring but i did finished the hit wad from 2017 or something wad "tangerine nightmare." nice visuals

recomended if you like the color orange. 8 maps that don't wear out their welcome. map 7 has one of the coolest ssecret hunts i've seen in a wad. i guess technically theres 10 maps but one is a credits map and map 10 is a secret map that is stupidly difficult and i keep dying even with massive save scumming.

looks neat i dled it. ive started playing some wads after looking at every cacoward winner and downloaded 70+ selections, rolled random and first one up was arceon which is just from a few months ago. am i right in assuming that most modern wads are designed with UV Pistol Start in mind. i only played the first two maps and theyre a good time if a bit too sprawly and easy to get lost in for my tastes.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
it really depends on the mapset. f ex sunlust which is extremely difficult on uv has fully implemented hmp and hey not too rough/i'm too young to die skills that make the levels much more accessible and the ammo placement is also pretty well balanced for either pistol starting or continuous play. not everyone is that meticulous tho. sometimes the authors will put a blurb in the readme.

if youre finding something too easy blow yourself up w/ a rocket and start w/ pistols or if its too hard bump down the difficulty :shrug:

Reading Owl
Dec 22, 2006

reading is hard

sunlust which is extremely difficult on uv has fully implemented hmp and hey not too rough/i'm too young to die skills that make the levels much more accessible

Soylust.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bumlust.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Ty

Reading Owl
Dec 22, 2006

reading is hard

TN.wad is one of my favorites. A luxury Dooming experience. I usually dislike Icon of Sin but Map 8 was fun. I also never beat Map 10's bs "horseshoe" fight.

5-10 maps should be the default size of WAD. Almost all megaWADs are too drat long! By Map 20 I'm usually pissed off at a WAD.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i thought I was gonna hate the overtuned slaughter style wad design but after grinding out a rly difficult ambush room with 100 revenants pinkies hell Knights Imps and archviles teleporting in I think I get it more. It's extremely hypnotic to try and make it through a excruciatingly hard 30 second section and then it all clicks and you feel like a god...I came close on one attempt where I was down to 8 health and went into a white knuckled panic mode and almost fell out of my chair trying to dodge rockerts and wound up killing myself when a pinkie walked in off frame to blow up a rocket I shot 3 inches from my face. Epic poo poo.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/romero/status/1499172470330437633?t=lkKslcyyftwQ4kLUbFjuxw&s=19

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

seems likes it's a sigil 2 preview, pretty cool though I haven't played sigil 1 yet. and I'm not going to spend 5 squiggly mark on a wad.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

King

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Reading Owl posted:

TN.wad is one of my favorites. A luxury Dooming experience. I usually dislike Icon of Sin but Map 8 was fun. I also never beat Map 10's bs "horseshoe" fight.

5-10 maps should be the default size of WAD. Almost all megaWADs are too drat long! By Map 20 I'm usually pissed off at a WAD.

have you tried glaive 2 or warglaive? those are both 7 map episode replacements with quick punchy levels. good stuff.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/glaive2
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/v-z/warglaive

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
i have not played glaive 1 yet but presumably its also good since its the same map maker in the same style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
glaives labelled 1, 2, and war.