Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Tainted Ham posted:

For those of you farther in the game; how stingy do I need to be with smith stones? I want tonupgrade my starting gear but im worried it will be a waste

2 bosses down and I haven't found a decent supply yet. My starting axe is now in the second tier (+5), but I don't even have enough small smith stones left to +2 anything else, which I'm extremely sad about because I FOUND THE BRICK HAMMER!!!

Choose well what you upgrade because from the looks of it, that'll be your only upgraded option for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
What's the difference between smith stone[1] and Smith stone[2]? I have loads of 2 in my inventory which says it can be used to upgrade weapons to +6 but when I go to Smith them it doesn't let me even when I have enough runes.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I keep getting my rear end covered by glintstone phalanx

"I'll just go into this room slowly so i-*BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM*

... sneaky fucker."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FishMcCool posted:

2 bosses down and I haven't found a decent supply yet. My starting axe is now in the second tier (+5), but I don't even have enough small smith stones left to +2 anything else, which I'm extremely sad about because I FOUND THE BRICK HAMMER!!!

Choose well what you upgrade because from the looks of it, that'll be your only upgraded option for a while.

Guess I'm going with the ol reliable longsword

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lol what a dick loving movie, game. Stormveil Castle oh hey a door. Oh no I’m locked, oh no it’s pitch black OH NO

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Aphex- posted:

What's the difference between smith stone[1] and Smith stone[2]? I have loads of 2 in my inventory which says it can be used to upgrade weapons to +6 but when I go to Smith them it doesn't let me even when I have enough runes.

Smith stones [1] are for +1/+2/+3 upgrades
Smith stones [2] are for +4/+5/+6
Smith stones [3] are for +7/+8/+9
And I presume limited supply smith stones[4] will be the +10.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

My +2 halberd is no match for Magrit. Gonna try and find that jellyfish summo.

I hate how tight his parry-counter time is. I can get off two or so in the fight usually, but cant get an opening in phase 2.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Lol what a dick loving movie, game. Stormveil Castle oh hey a door. Oh no I’m locked, oh no it’s pitch black OH NO

This marks the exact point where the castle started giving me grief.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Aphex- posted:

1 is +1-3, 2 is +4-6 and so on presumably to ten which typically requires it’s own single use, extremely rare per-play through item. Not sure anyone is high enough to confirm if that old standby has changed.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So for this and another "movie," I had nothing but a black screen. Has anyone else encountered that bug? I don't think I've missed anything important but it's pretty annoying.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Appoda posted:

So for this and another "movie," I had nothing but a black screen. Has anyone else encountered that bug? I don't think I've missed anything important but it's pretty annoying.

That one is supposed to be black, with the knight laughing.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I went from Darksouls inspired zone to Bloodborne inspired zone to Demons Souls inspired zone, all with enemies to match, and there was even a little Sekiro in there. Game owns.

I'm doubling down on my prediction that it is the worlds of all Fromsoft games mashed together from all the chaos of so many ending and re-starting cycles of whatever.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

FishMcCool posted:

Smith stones [1] are for +1/+2/+3 upgrades
Smith stones [2] are for +4/+5/+6
Smith stones [3] are for +7/+8/+9
And I presume limited supply smith stones[4] will be the +10.

Orv posted:

1 is +1-3, 2 is +4-6 and so on presumably to ten which typically requires it’s own single use, extremely rare per-play through item. Not sure anyone is high enough to confirm if that old standby has changed.

It goes to +25 now (The ones that need the special stones still only go to +10 though)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Appoda posted:

The From intro boss killed me in a black screen lol

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lmao what why oh god

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

That happened to me too.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mother of god.

Speaking of changes, I loving L O V E the triangle+d-pad item shortcuts. I have both healing and estus flasks and being able to have them available regardless of what item I’m using is fuckin great.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
lol had a horseback miniboss bug out and kill itself, free loot!

Not sure how I feel about the open world, probably coming off Horizon but the point A to B with just collecting crafting materials is kinda boring and there's a lot of it. I can see how the mini dungeons are going to get repetitive with how long this game seemingly is

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

This was black for me as well, and also for a streamer I've been watching. I thought it was pretty weird but maybe it's intentional?

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Mother of god.

Speaking of changes, I loving L O V E the triangle+d-pad item shortcuts. I have both healing and estus flasks and being able to have them available regardless of what item I’m using is fuckin great.

I was just thinking the same. Big triangle fan over here.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Just a few hours in, and I'm enjoying it, but the first area just doesn't feel very Dark Souls to me (at least the outdoor parts, the interiors I've seen are great). What's with all these animals that aren't undead, cursed, or even visably diseased? And I'm picking fruit? I hope future zones will feel more gloriously ruined. Or maybe they're trying to show us a world that isn't quite as fallen (or hasn't been fallen as long) as DS1&3.

Not super into the horse yet, either. But that's not a big deal; I just don't use it much.
I believe they very much wanted a world that wasn't quite as "dead" as Dark Souls, so that bit'd be deliberate.
Torrent is good for covering a lot of ground you've already seen to a destination, sprinting past enemies you'd rather not fight at the moment, giving an extra combat option, and sometimes platforming because he can jump higher.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Without saying anything specific, just want to note on “this game is long” the map lies to you about how big it really is until you reach a new area and it expands. It keeps happening and I think it’s done it five times now to me.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Is there a way to look at your buffs/buff descriptions? You could in the souls games, but I don't see anything on the status screen and just have to guess what some of these symbols mean.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Lakbay posted:

Not sure how I feel about the open world, probably coming off Horizon but the point A to B with just collecting crafting materials is kinda boring and there's a lot of it. I can see how the mini dungeons are going to get repetitive with how long this game seemingly is

i've spent a good amount of time exploring all the edges and plains so far and there's been nothing important there. so it seems like that isn't something i should spend much doing in the future. i've already had the 'why does this acre of grass even exist' feeling. i think the pace of those areas is supposed to be just tear through on the horse and get off if you see something which looks like something. the important stuff seems made hard to miss.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Unlucky7 posted:

I do appreciate that post quoted on the OP with the general tips!

:siren: yeah, thanks to the goon who made that post. i'm not really reading the thread rn because spoilers. for the moment plz feel free to PM me with links to any other posts that need to be added!

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I seriously doubt it was intentional :v:

Anyways I've been running around with +2 and +3 gear for a while now. Anyone know where I can get a +1-3 stone upgrade? I've got plenty for +4-6. I've already cleared out the mine near the dragon, and I only need one to set me on the +4-6 tier.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is there a video to help me with Parry timing? It just seems to work 50/50 for me and I can't tell if I'm doing it too early, too late, or on the wrong moves.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

this game is loving great man. i never played sekiro, but stealth fits into this formula perfectly and the mounted combat is awesome.

I just wish it ran better. i'm playing on PS5 and even in performance mode, frames dip to like 30 fps occasionally.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Oh snap the reward for beating Godrick with the NPC is a havel's ring equivalent.

Orv
May 4, 2011

roomtone posted:

i've spent a good amount of time exploring all the edges and plains so far and there's been nothing important there. so it seems like that isn't something i should spend much doing in the future. i've already had the 'why does this acre of grass even exist' feeling. i think the pace of those areas is supposed to be just tear through on the horse and get off if you see something which looks like something. the important stuff seems made hard to miss.

There’s a bunch of much more hidden - by the standards of giant rents in giant cliffs - dungeons and secrets.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Lakbay posted:

Oh snap the reward for beating Godrick with the NPC is a havel's ring equivalent.

There was an NPC for that? There wasn't a summon sign for me :(

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Beat Tree Sentinel right out the gate after maybe the 15th try? Wasn't counting. More like FPS sentinel. Even with fixes like unlimited shader cache and setting elden ring to high performance, I was still getting FPS drops that almost killed me. Now I can finally play the game!

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

this game is loving great man. i never played sekiro, but stealth fits into this formula perfectly and the mounted combat is awesome.

I just wish it ran better. i'm playing on PS5 and even in performance mode, frames dip to like 30 fps occasionally.

If you bought it digitally, download the ps4 version for flawless 60fps. I think you'll need to start again tho, saves can go from ps4 to ps5 but not vice versa IIRC.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Frankston posted:

There was an NPC for that? There wasn't a summon sign for me :(

They’re up the path past the giant in a little room on the left side of the path. Not sure where they end up since you missed them.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Appoda posted:

I seriously doubt it was intentional :v:

Anyways I've been running around with +2 and +3 gear for a while now. Anyone know where I can get a +1-3 stone upgrade? I've got plenty for +4-6. I've already cleared out the mine near the dragon, and I only need one to set me on the +4-6 tier.

I got a couple as random drops from the little mofos in the Catacombs cave (entrance above the beach iirc). Not sure what drop rates are, mind.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Orv posted:

They’re up the path past the giant in a little room on the left side of the path. Not sure where they end up since you missed them.

I had a look because I was curious, they end up in roundtable hold anyway which is where I first saw her.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Oh, got my first dead quest NPC too. Not sure how/why I hosed up, but lol. One down, many more to go!

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

VictualSquid posted:

I went back to the tutorial area and paid the sword-key for the extended tutorial.
:darksouls:
Do it, you will regret it.

i did it and i regret it lol

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Okay what is an invasion, why is there a red guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

VictualSquid posted:

I went back to the tutorial area and paid the sword-key for the extended tutorial.
:darksouls:
Do it, you will regret it.

Is this in the tutorial bit itself? Becsuse there's the sword-key bit as soon as you're out the tutorial but before you leave the building. And it's a) brutal and savage as gently caress, and b) hilarious and the most fun I've had in a game in years