Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

That's from yesterday and seems to have been a downed cruise missile.

I thought it ended up being a Ukrainian fighter?

https://thehill.com/policy/international/595816-video-shows-ukrainian-fighter-jet-shot-down-over-kyiv-officials-say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

this is canon

Eggs
Apr 15, 2007

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Viktor is a fuckin oval office and said he will continue to trade with Russia of course, because we took shitloads of money from them, and they are building our new nuclear power plant as well. Elections here in April, I wonder how much this poo poo will hurt him. Currently they keep saying that the opposition here wants to send troops to Ukraine, but Orban and his government wont be dragged into the conflict because they value the safety of the Hungarian people above all else.

To say something positive about Hungary, our Help Ukraine facebook group is already at 50k members, and its heartwarming to see how many people offer to take in refugees to their homes or help with cars to get people coming through to places they can warm up or wait for pickup by relatives or simply drive them to cities. We had universities open their dorms for refugees as well. (Even Vodafone Hungary came and made calls between Hungary and Ukraine free of charge.)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

why is that word banned?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

fuctifino posted:

I've seen this posted in a few places as footage of the II-76 that was supposedly shot down:

https://twitter.com/mitkofx/status/1497361983523414021

This was from last night. Apparently a missile that was shot down.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Rah! posted:

There's a video that's a fake, with game footage layered on top of real footage, that got shared all over the place.

But people were talking about the "Ghost of Kiev" before that video ever existed. Those rumors are what inspired the creator to make the video. Maybe the ghost is propaganda, maybe it's actually real, but it did not originate from a video game lol

Yeah, the video was this morning. Last night was when I saw the first rumors of a Ukrainian pilot that had already become an ace.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

fuctifino posted:

I've seen this posted in a few places as footage of the II-76 that was supposedly shot down:

https://twitter.com/mitkofx/status/1497361983523414021

That's from last night, which was (probably) a Ukrainian Su-27 that got hit by a Russian SAM.

Zhanism posted:

This is part of the plan. Airfield are priority first strike targets. The Ukr AF likely began to disperse days before the balloon went up.

That definitely would have been the smart move.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
For a while there were claims it was Ukraine shooting a plane, Ukraine shooting a cruise missile, and Russians shooting down a Ukraine plane. The cruise missile seemed to stick as the final claim, and no plane wreckage photos turned up which I think would be likely for an urban area.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 26, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I figure the "actual" Ghost of Kyiv will turn out to be a guy in a MIG-29 who managed to get a couple of kills solo and a ton of people saw him. He may already be dead.

Even so...

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Pablo Bluth posted:

That's from yesterday and seems to have been a downed cruise missile.

FishBulbia posted:

This was PVO shooting down either a cruise missile or a Su-27 last night.

Thanks. I thought I had dejavu watching that video. I've edited the post.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Russian UN Ambassador claiming they seized Chernobyl to, 'prevent Ukraine from making a dirty bomb' and that 'radiation levels are low'
that first comment made me say 'holy poo poo'

verging on clancychat to think the Russians are planning to weaponize Chernobyl, but when a regime like that makes an accusation like that, it's often likely that they're planning to do the very same thing

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Eggs posted:

why is that word banned?

Because in America it's considered a lot worse than the rest of the world, it's weird to see people getting probated for it but whatever, it's easy not to use words.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Even so, the fact the Ukrainians managed to contest the air at all is impressive.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Eggs posted:

why is that word banned?

The word oval office?

:decorum:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

For a while there were claims it was Ukraine shooting a plane, Ukraine shooting a cruise missile, and Russians shooting down a Ukraine plane. The cruise missile seemed to stick at the claim, and no plane wreckage photos turned up which I think would be likely for an urban area.

The article has the Deputy Interior Minister of Ukraine saying it was one of their birds. :shrug:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
For the record, the original video of the 'ghost of kyiv' didn't hide that it was from a video game, it was a tribute to something the OP had heard about the pilot, which could easily be propaganda, but there may be an actual pilot who got a kill or two. That video was then shared without the context that it wasn't real, lol

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Eggs posted:

why is that word banned?

the word in question is, in the US, typically seen as extremely vulgar and misogynistic. Obviously it's not seen that way everywhere (see: Australia), but given that the mods/admins are primarily US-based it's not surprising they're policing it heavily.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
We are no longer probing for that word, it was a misunderstanding.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Nvm

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

In before a bunch of oval office posts

(trying for some levity here)

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Interesting how the US consistently takes a harder line on diplomatic efforts than the Ukrainian government. i guess it's easy when you're not the one enduring any pain.

https://twitter.com/kgosztola/status/1497344862718464011

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Just noticed the author

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

gently caress wrong thread.

Fuckin Russians!

Virigoth fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 26, 2022

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Given how on top of things the UKR side has been with the social media if there was a grain of truth to the ghost of kyev stuff they'd be talking it up like mad

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sinteres posted:

Interesting how the US consistently takes a harder line on diplomatic efforts than the Ukrainian government. i guess it's easy when you're not the one enduring any pain.

https://twitter.com/kgosztola/status/1497344862718464011
I don’t think that spokesperson is wrong, in that if Russia is just going to tell the Ukrainians that they need to surrender and it’s not a legitimate offer then it’s a waste of time

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Virigoth posted:

I'd take a gang tag. I didn't donate but I got banned from Reddit for calling Putin a oval office.

e: take my "yes I want coronavirus one" in exchange.

I posted in the donation thread, not why I gave, but I'll take one to if they are being handed out.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t think that spokesperson is wrong, in that if Russia is just going to tell the Ukrainians that they need to surrender and it’s not a legitimate offer then it’s a waste of time

Shouldn't it be up to Ukraine to decide if there's any chance for a better way out than mass death rather than someone sitting comfortably in Washington?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Sinteres posted:

Shouldn't it be up to Ukraine to decide if there's any chance for a better way out than mass death rather than someone sitting comfortably in Washington?

It is up to Ukraine.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Mokotow posted:

These buses coming in now are full of kids

I chipped in some money as well, spend it on whatever you think might help.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Sinteres posted:

There's nothing there that says it isn't, my man. It simply says that the State Department is against it. And they have good reason to be.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Sinteres posted:

I don't see anything in the statement where the spokesperson says Ukraine shouldn't do it, just that it likely won't go anywhere. The US doesn't control what the Ukrainian President does.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.
It costs nothing to talk because neither side is going to stop shooting in the meantime.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Anyone know whats going on with the purple light?

https://twitter.com/Sad_Girl_4_u/status/1497364869795954690

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

KitConstantine posted:

I don't see anything in the statement where the spokesperson says Ukraine shouldn't do it, just that it likely won't go anywhere. The US doesn't control what the Ukrainian President does.

I'm raising my eyebrow a bit at the last part, but fair enough I guess. I'd prefer for the US not to try to undermine talks at all, but it's not like I disagree that skepticism is warranted.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Sinteres posted:

It is up to Ukraine. I tend to whole heartedly, for once in my life, agree with the US Department of State here, but it’s of course up to Ukraine.

They’re doing the fighting and dying; however, if Ukraine makes a deal with the devil the Ukraine, or what’s left of it after Putin carves it up, is going to be a Russian puppet forever.

Much better to completely deny the Putin the legitimacy you give while negotiating at the point of Russias pistol.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
lol that there are still people sort of not "getting" that the not Americas and not Russias in the conflict have agency

Seriously though, stop for a minute and check your thoughts if you keep falling into that kind of thinking so automatically. Additionally slap yourself if the words "but realism" pop into your head during this process.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

Eh, to me, it does sort of feel like the spokesperson is saying, "We will continue to fight until our last Ukrainian lies dead!" It might be good for the U.S. state dept to pipe down for the time being and let Zelensky do what he thinks is appropriate.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

FishBulbia posted:

Anyone know whats going on with the purple light?

https://twitter.com/Sad_Girl_4_u/status/1497364869795954690

i have it on good authority that the purple light is actually the ghost of kyiv going super saiyan

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Ukraine isnt a US puppet state they are free to take our advice or tell us to gently caress off

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Eggs posted:

why is that word banned?
You can just include an 'r' and it's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Sinteres posted:

I'm raising my eyebrow a bit at the last part, but fair enough I guess. I'd prefer for the US not to try to undermine talks at all, but it's not like I disagree that skepticism is warranted.

At this precise moment Zelenskyy is likely a bit more concerned about not dying in a basement in Kyiv than playing cats paw for US interests.

Regardless of how involved he was with the US prior to things kicking off he may be a bit cynical about US input that isn't guns and/or money due to his forced relocation to said basement. But we can't know because we aren't in the basement. Nor is anyone from the US.