Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Pablo Bluth posted:

For a while there were claims it was Ukraine shooting a plane, Ukraine shooting a cruise missile, and Russians shooting down a Ukraine plane. The cruise missile seemed to stick as the final claim, and no plane wreckage photos turned up which I think would be likely for an urban area.

It was a Ukrainian Su-27.

https://twitter.com/JosephHDempsey/status/1497369702628220929?s=20&t=46uSCDM17OW-pHQabDqSUg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I hope the cat cafe CNN just mentioned is okay.

Also, watching some cams, I'm hearing the occasional distant boom, and also some kind of music.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I really have no words for this one other than, solidarity forever with those fighting the fascist tide wherever it encroaches on humanity.

https://twitter.com/aletweetsnews/status/1497330290217340928?s=21

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Eggs posted:

why is that word banned?

We’ve had a discussion on this in the background, and the short version is that further mod discussion is necessary.

For time being, as far as using word “oval office” goes - you’ll be probated for targeting any poster by it, and any woman regardless of her SA membership status. If you want to write otherwise normal post where you end up calling, e.g., calling Lukashenko a oval office - that’s not endorsed, but I will not probate you solely because of it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is Putin still going to go through with his infrastructure cyber attacks after NATO already countered him with the task force?

Going off the assumption that he never changes his plans mid war.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

Is Putin still going to go through with his infrastructure cyber attacks after NATO already countered him with the task force?

Going off the assumption that he never changes his plans mid war.

Yeah but so what? It'll be the last 10 years but slightly more. Its not going to be as much of a deal as he claims.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Found out a co-worker lost an immediate family member today and the rest of them are split between bunkers. loving sucks.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Peanut Butler posted:

Russian UN Ambassador claiming they seized Chernobyl to, 'prevent Ukraine from making a dirty bomb' and that 'radiation levels are low'
that first comment made me say 'holy poo poo'

verging on clancychat to think the Russians are planning to weaponize Chernobyl, but when a regime like that makes an accusation like that, it's often likely that they're planning to do the very same thing

Putin made several overtures to imply that Ukraine lusts for nukes, in the recent week or two.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Sinteres posted:

Interesting how the US consistently takes a harder line on diplomatic efforts than the Ukrainian government. i guess it's easy when you're not the one enduring any pain.

https://twitter.com/kgosztola/status/1497344862718464011

motherFUCKER this sort of poo poo pisses me off. really hard to shake the feeling the US is going for the Iran-Iraq playbook with horseshit like this.

i am not saying that is what the US is doing, it just provokes that sort of feeling in me

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 26, 2022

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Edit: nvm, not touching the poop

acidx fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 26, 2022

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Peanut Butler posted:

Russian UN Ambassador claiming they seized Chernobyl to, 'prevent Ukraine from making a dirty bomb' and that 'radiation levels are low'
that first comment made me say 'holy poo poo'

verging on clancychat to think the Russians are planning to weaponize Chernobyl, but when a regime like that makes an accusation like that, it's often likely that they're planning to do the very same thing

Russia doesn't need to capture a nuclear reactor to have the capability to make a dirty bomb.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Sinteres posted:

Shouldn't it be up to Ukraine to decide if there's any chance for a better way out than mass death rather than someone sitting comfortably in Washington?

it could be posturing to help Zelensky secure a peace deal ("the americans HATE this!") but thats probably giving the state dept too much credit

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Putin made several overtures to imply that Ukraine lusts for nukes, in the recent week or two.

Well if Russia isn't abiding by the treaty by which Ukraine gave up their nukes (in exchange for Russia respecting their territory), then Ukraine shouldn't have to either.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Doesn't Chernobyl supply power to northeast Ukraine

It would make sense to capture it

Edit:nvm I still thought they had active plants in the region

Blitz of 404 Error fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 26, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Russia doesn't need to capture a nuclear reactor to have the capability to make a dirty bomb.

Yeah, Russia has TONS of nuclear material.

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

Not the plant itself, but the substation is used to link West and East Power Grids. There's also a bunch of bridges over the river that are critical.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Its funny because Ukraine gave up its nukes for promises from russia to respect its borders

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

Not since 2000

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
As a Polish emigrant with some ties to Ukraine (grandad is from Lviv) this whole situation is depressing as gently caress. A mix of helplessness and complete rage.
Glad to see what appears to be strong support for Ukrainian refugees in Poland.

Nothing left to do but donate, doomscroll and get drunk.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

A big flaming stink posted:

motherFUCKER this sort of poo poo pisses me off

I'd be pretty mad about being illiterate too. Read what is actually being quoted, not what the dumbass quote tweet is trying to frame it as.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Nenonen posted:

Latvian mercenaries, duh.

The Livonian Order Returns.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Correct, but Ukraine does not. I had same sinking feeling when Russian UN guy unprompted accused Ukraine of planing to destroy the sarcophagus.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Flavahbeast posted:

it could be posturing to help Zelensky secure a peace deal ("the americans HATE this!") but thats probably giving the state dept too much credit

Don’t quote me, but I am starting to suspect the intelligence community and DOD thinks the Ukrainians might actually successfully stop the Russian armed forces to some significant extent, and what they are really saying is that from a real politik perspective, “don’t negotiate just yet. Another day or so Ukraine will be bargaining from a much stronger position.”

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

Anyone know whats going on with the purple light?

https://twitter.com/Sad_Girl_4_u/status/1497364869795954690

420th Airborne Marijuana Dispensary

Probably a target painter of sorts, with that purple light only being visible in camera sensor.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Doloen posted:

I'd be pretty mad about being illiterate too. Read what is actually being quoted, not what the dumbass quote tweet is trying to frame it as.

That guys pinned tweet is something else

https://twitter.com/kgosztola/status/1497036502026661906

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

Don’t quote me, but I am starting to suspect the intelligence community and DOD thinks the Ukrainians might actually successfully stop the Russian armed forces to some significant extent, and what they are really saying is that from a real politik perspective, “don’t negotiate just yet. Another day or so Ukraine will be bargaining from a much stronger position.”

honestly im more concerned that the state department is operating from the realpolitik position of "the more damage ukraine inflicts on russia's army, the better" regardless of the consequences to the ukrainian people

Doloen posted:

how does what is being quoted differ from what the tweet is saying? both statements say that the US is opposing ukraine and russia meeting under present circumstances to discuss a ceasefire

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 26, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jesus loving Christ these guys will make any excuse for Putin.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Jesus loving Christ these guys will make any excuse for Putin.

The old western european peace movement playbook of "Being for peace means appeasing the Soviet Union", which still lingers in countries like Finland.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

this is true

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

Do we have any idea if Rubio winking about some surprises for Russians on Twitter was bullshit or not?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Impressive mental gymnastics

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Do we have any idea if Rubio winking about some surprises for Russians on Twitter was bullshit or not?

issuing correction on a previous post, regarding marco rubio. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to him".

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Wait, Sally Kellerman is dead?? Holy gently caress

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

His live tweets have been p accurate and he’s the ranking member of Senate intelligence, a role he actually takes seriously. He’s a dingus but he would be the first to know about almost anything the wider us government does.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Even if Ukraine does manage to secure peace under "neutral" status, it's terrifying to think of all the conditions Putin will demand. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if he demanded the arrest of everyone from former officials to LGBT activists to prevent further "agitation."

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

A big flaming stink posted:

motherFUCKER this sort of poo poo pisses me off. really hard to shake the feeling the US is going for the Iran-Iraq playbook with horseshit like this.

i am not saying that is what the US is doing, it just provokes that sort of feeling in me

The state department is absolutely in the right

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Sinteres posted:

Interesting how the US consistently takes a harder line on diplomatic efforts than the Ukrainian government. i guess it's easy when you're not the one enduring any pain.

https://twitter.com/kgosztola/status/1497344862718464011

This is a very accurate and appropriate statement regarding the coerced nature of the talks. Pointing this out helps undermine the legitimacy of Russia's bargaining position.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

acidx posted:

Is this a real post

Yes? I've been extremely clear about my contention that the US took the hardest line (other than Russia, obviously) on diplomacy when this war might have been averted, and I think the US to this day is behaving like a country that intends to remain an impediment to peace by demanding overly idealistic perfect endings rather than accepting reality as it is. You know the US will be the last country to be willing to reduce any sanctions pressure if Ukraine and Russia ultimately do sign some sort of peace deal, and while I obviously don't think treating Russia the same way we did the day before the invasion would make sense after taking whatever they can from Ukraine, I do think it would be appropriate to at least provide some sort of incentive structure for Russia to stand down if possible and if that's what the government of Ukraine wants. Russia is the country that chose to invade, and the US didn't make them or trick them or lure them or anything to do it, so I'm not saying any of this to absolve Russia of responsibility. But if I were Ukrainian, I'd be seriously questioning whether the top priority of the United States as it continues to cast doubt on negotiations is preserving my life, as opposed to making moves on the chessboard against its rival.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Lots of explosions and machine gun fire in the past 10 minutes on the livestream. Looks like power just cut to a large portion of Kyiv too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZebYm-nenY

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Lots of booms in the Kiev Livestream. They sound pretty distant though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Vahakyla posted:

The old western european peace movement playbook of "Being for peace means appeasing the Soviet Union", which still lingers in countries like Finland.

it lingers loving here too. some NYC council woman was saying insane poo poo about it.

https://twitter.com/Kristin4Harlem/status/1497233925076312071
https://twitter.com/Kristin4Harlem/status/1497233927240568837

https://twitter.com/Kristin4Harlem/status/1497233931518812161

https://twitter.com/Kristin4Harlem/status/1497233932605079553

there is alot of weird "russia is always the plucky underdog who does nothing wrong" in various parts of the left and the right in the west.

https://twitter.com/SKMorefield/status/1497021253898706951

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1497258991998676992

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1497264309960773634

fringe shitfuck assholes will always back this kinda poo poo.