Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Velveteen posted:

After getting super frustrated doing Tytalos in matchmaking. I think I ran it at least a dozen times and only managed to get to phase 2 on half of them. I decided to screw it all and just solo it. First attempt was pure failure but my second attempt I barely squeezed in a victory before the time ran out. A victory is still a victory. Phase one isn't too bad but phase 2 is a miserable experience. You have so much stuff to avoid. Wide swings, seeking fire bombs, aoe circles, 180 degree angle slams, fire breaths, tornados that slow you and/or stun you before you need it forcing it on cooldown, It feels almost impossible to get a hit in. Especially the longer casting spells.

If you do Raids and other content solo, does the boss health scale down appropriately, or do you have to do 4 character's worth of damage in the same time window?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Can you get cube tickets even if you're out of energy for the chaos dungeon? I got a skin set drop for the pants and now I want the top.

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean

Khorne posted:

Vertus has a really poor design that they didn't use in future content. I wouldn't get discouraged over how that encounter went. If you don't like melee in abyssal then I'd consider moving off of it.

I'm maining a melee and everything that isn't Vertus has gone pretty well.

Thanks! Yea, pretty much everything else is going well content wise, though the big Chromium turtle raid was still a bit of a "miss once and die" with the double slam+rocks thing he does, all of his other moves were easy enough to work around. Probably need to get better at his tells for it.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

I tried hard to learn the tells for Chromium and in the end settled on 'assume anything that looks even remotely like a stomp is actually the double stomp.'

stupid turtle

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Aerox posted:

If you do Raids and other content solo, does the boss health scale down appropriately, or do you have to do 4 character's worth of damage in the same time window?
Abyssals don't scale down most of the time. There are a few mechanics that will work with 1 or 2 dead that would have failed if they were alive and didn't do their part in it.

Cube, boss rush, chaos, and guardian raids scale to party size.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Not surprised that someone already took “Goonlancer” but my gunlancer alt is now back at square one.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Kaysette posted:

Not surprised that someone already took “Goonlancer” but my gunlancer alt is now back at square one.

stupid sexy gunflanders

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I keep reading that you can get pirate coins from doing sailing co-op missions but I've never been in one or seen one, has anyone done them, what are they like?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

junan_paalla posted:

I keep reading that you can get pirate coins from doing sailing co-op missions but I've never been in one or seen one, has anyone done them, what are they like?

The tutorial said you can get them from the floating barrels too but I’ve never ever seen one lol

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So anyone know what stream to jump on to get the Twitch drops they're putting up again this weekend? The Twitch Drops page has old poo poo on it.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Fuzz posted:

So anyone know what stream to jump on to get the Twitch drops they're putting up again this weekend? The Twitch Drops page has old poo poo on it.

Any stream that lists DROPS should be dropping tier 1 right now.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Unrivaled! That's the word that represents the Kuhon merchants!

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

junan_paalla posted:

They give small amounts of pirate coins, but mostly sea coins. They convert to pirate coins though. They’re on the calendar only in the evenings on a few days. Pretty easy just travel in a giant mob doing mini games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What is the point of the exp cards you get from chaos dungeons? You cant trade them or give them to alts.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

lol Vertus

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I said come in! posted:

What is the point of the exp cards you get from chaos dungeons? You cant trade them or give them to alts.

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of card exp items, which give you exp you can use (alongside duplicates of a card) to make your cards better.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Mozi posted:

Hey, nice place you got here. It would be a shame if anything were to happen to it. My stuff’s pretty nice too.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I keep avoiding the harder group content because the idea of doing content that people have been describing as FFXIV Extreme-levels of difficulty with randos when I don't really know what I'm doing on any of my characters is massively unappealing to me. Am I psyching myself out, or is it really that hard?

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

QuantaStarFire posted:

I keep avoiding the harder group content because the idea of doing content that people have been describing as FFXIV Extreme-levels of difficulty with randos when I don't really know what I'm doing on any of my characters is massively unappealing to me. Am I psyching myself out, or is it really that hard?

I'm super casual and have never done extremes when they are relevant. Dipping my toe into Guardians and Abyssals hasn't been horrible. Admittedly I'm still in Tier 1 but they have been generally enjoyable so far. That may change but it seems the difficulty ramps evenly.
Chaos dungeons are my favorite thing for blowing off steam too!

Khorne
May 1, 2002

QuantaStarFire posted:

The first two T1 abyss dungeons tend to have only 1 gimmick per fight. The second set has some that are a bit more difficult, but I think groups usually get through them.

Guardians aren't so bad either as long as you avoid the 4th guardian on each tier until you outgear it. Vertus is particularly brutal and the 4th guardian on the first set of them in T1. The other 4th guardians aren't as bad but are annoying enough that I don't trust matchmaking & usually spam what I consider the easiest of the other 3 if I am just doing dailies. (2nd guardian in T1 is good to spam, if you hug his butt you'll never die, 1st guardian is also that way)

T2 abyss has some difficult fights but you should try it any way because it's one of the more creative raids I've seen in a game. Worst-case the group implodes.

The worst part of any group content is the person in the bottom 50% performance wise whining constantly. It's peak unskilled & unaware: blame everyone else. I forgot how much I don't miss those people. Most people are pretty chill and keep trying as long as things seem to be getting better.

also, everyone is new & learning, and lost ark abyss & guardian in t1/t2 seem to favor doing mechanics & avoiding damage instead of maximizing dps.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 26, 2022

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Is pistoleer deadeye trash or what

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Bye guild see you when elden ring wears out unless something else comes out

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

S.J. posted:

Unless it got buffed for the western release it's basically a meme build as I understand it

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mozi posted:

Wow! Did you draw a bug?

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Oh wow those who said tier 2 guardian raids were less annoying lied. Achates is a hundred times worse than Tytalos! There is no way I'm ever going to kill this boss with matchmaking. I'm going to have to do this one solo too.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Velveteen posted:

Oh wow those who said tier 2 guardian raids were less annoying lied. Achates is a hundred times worse than Tytalos! There is no way I'm ever going to kill this boss with matchmaking. I'm going to have to do this one solo too.

I don't think you can do Achates solo unless you severely outgear it, the shield mechanic seems pretty undoable by yourself. I only tried it once to get a look at him (before clearing in a group), but it didn't seem reasonable to chuck multiple stones at him in the time I had by myself. I guess you could do it without breaking the shield, but you're probably T3 at that point.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

M. Night Skymall posted:

I don't think you can do Achates solo unless you severely outgear it, the shield mechanic seems pretty undoable by yourself. I only tried it once to get a look at him (before clearing in a group), but it didn't seem reasonable to chuck multiple stones at him in the time I had by myself. I guess you could do it without breaking the shield, but you're probably T3 at that point.

I tried it solo and yeah I couldn't break the shield at all. Did it with matchmaking again and after a few tries one group we only broke the shield one out of 3 times but ended up killing the boss with 2 seconds left on the timer. Super clutch but I'm done with the boss forever I guess.

On another note I was finishing up quests at the dwarf area and imagine my surprise while I was mass spamming G's to get past the boring text when all of a sudden everyone broke out in song and dance. Wait what? Were they not trying to make this super serious storyline in this zone?

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
Hahahahaha that cutscene killed me. I got to that tonight as well.

After being so annoyed about that last stretch to 600, I am now almost 1000 and cruising through MSQ content again. :woop:

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Once my card inventory fills up am I stuck buying more space for real dollars? I thought there was a way to buy crystals on the market, but a quick putzing around didn't turn anything up.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Just hit level 50 shortly into the Arthetine quest. Does anything cool unlock at this point that isn't story gated? What's this about a regular skill that's only unlockable at level 50 that doesn't show up in my K menu? It was there when I go to the training area with the angel chick.

Also, how is level 50 the max but also not?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Schwack posted:

Once my card inventory fills up am I stuck buying more space for real dollars? I thought there was a way to buy crystals on the market, but a quick putzing around didn't turn anything up.

You can buy crystals for gold in the store or at an NPC labeled Currency Exchange.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

gandlethorpe posted:

Just hit level 50 shortly into the Arthetine quest. Does anything cool unlock at this point that isn't story gated? What's this about a regular skill that's only unlockable at level 50 that doesn't show up in my K menu? It was there when I go to the training area with the angel chick.

Also, how is level 50 the max but also not?

Level 50 is the point where level stops mattering and what starts mattering is your gearscore. You technically still get experience that will creep you towards the actual level cap but it doesn't really mean anything.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also I wrapped up some island quests and +15'd all my T1 gear, so I'll be in T2 as of tomorrow. I know I should knock out the first two Abyss dungeons for this week before I start dumping this backlog of mats into T2 gear, is there anything else I should make sure to take care of?

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Dynamite Dog posted:

I tried hard to learn the tells for Chromium and in the end settled on 'assume anything that looks even remotely like a stomp is actually the double stomp.'

stupid turtle

When he sucks clouds into his front feet he's gonna stomp. If after the first stomp he smacks the ground with one foot and then the other he's gonna do the rock stomp.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Jabor posted:

Also I wrapped up some island quests and +15'd all my T1 gear, so I'll be in T2 as of tomorrow. I know I should knock out the first two Abyss dungeons for this week before I start dumping this backlog of mats into T2 gear, is there anything else I should make sure to take care of?

You should probably hang out with a bunch of alkie dwarfs first

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

S.J. posted:

Its very viable now. Look up a korean player called Handgunner on youtube, hes great for info

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

So a friend linked me a google sheet with ship stats.

I was already leaning towards the Tragon since I wanted to clear my quest log and it had huge Tempest Sea resists, holy poo poo the Eiburn ghost ship has a ton of durability. I think I might need to aim towards that instead.
Other people can use the Astray and go slightly faster, I'll run the Tragon and Eiburn so I can sit in Tempest Seas and Dead Waters without a care in the world. :colbert:

e: some of the info seems outdated now that I got the Tragon. It definitely doesn't have as much durability at the same levels listed on that chart. It's also using 40 durability for movement when the chart says it should use 31.

I'm guessing that Smilegate did a balance pass to normalize most of the ships. It still gets a ton of Tempest Sea resist per upgrade though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 27, 2022

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Glacier island rules

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I started playing deadeye after getting my shadowhunter to the mid 900s, and I liked deadeye to maybe consider making it my new main. However, to get my shadowhunte to 900s I did most of the t1 islands already, and my understanding is that those are once per roster. So how would I get mats to get my alts to 600?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Doing the tower on your alts after getting the roster-wide first clear rewards nets you a big bunch of honing materials. Also be sure to research the t1 honing material cost reduction and honing failure reduction upgrades in your stronghold. Beyond that it's mainly playing multiple alts and funneling the daily/ weekly honing material rewards to the alt you want to get to t2.