Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

the popes toes posted:

Yeah, you're right. But I can't shake the feeling that, as far as invasions go, this has gone horribly (wonderfully) wrong for the Russians in terms of price and what appears that they will have to pay in the future.

Does anyone think if Putin knew then what he knows now, he would still do this? I don't think I do.

I'm wondering what the overall casualty rates are like because it seems like its been a really intense couple of days, like in this tweet just posted:
https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1497389484362461187

Somebody in comments mentioned that there are potentially hundreds of of troops on those transports. If it really was shot down that could be as many Russians killed as the all of the British deaths in the Falklands war or coalition deaths in the initial conquest of Iraq.

Randarkman posted:

Ok... It's almost certainly people collating and exaggerating a number of separate incidents that may or may not involve the same person into a legend essentially. Happy?

Yes.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SUNKOS posted:

Please excuse me if this is old news (kinda, it seems things today have moved fast) but there's been nearly 2000 posts since I last read this thread yesterday. Am I correct in understanding that things have not been going well for Russia today and Ukraine has continued to have a good defense? I see posts on this page Of Putin asking Kazakhstan for help. The last I saw was large convoys entering Kyiv so going from that to latest updates of Russian pleas for help from neighbors is surprising. I was happy to see citizens of Georgia out in large numbers and protesting the war after what happened to their country as well.

We can't tell if it's going poorly for Russia. Most likely Russia expected swifter progress, maybe fewer losses. Ukrainians, on the other, appear to be faring better than expected in some ways.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Oh this is good.

https://twitter.com/DenisMacShane/status/1497177396151296001

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Randarkman posted:

Ok... It's almost certainly people collating and exaggerating a number of separate incidents that may or may not involve the same person into a legend essentially. Happy?

factual stuff aside, p sure half of it is just a stupefying respect of the balls on anyone who gets in a loving plane to go into that airspace to defend them

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
edit removed- might be wrong.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 26, 2022

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
The Ghost of kviv is my new piss tape

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1497394091910443010?s=20&t=kR-JvtkT37_QammPfiN6Bg

Grains of salt, goes without saying

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

the popes toes posted:

Yeah, you're right. But I can't shake the feeling that, as far as invasions go, this has gone horribly (wonderfully) wrong for the Russians in terms of price and what appears that they will have to pay in the future.

Does anyone think if Putin knew then what he knows now, he would still do this? I don't think I do.

Did Putin misjudge? Likely. He could've suspected NATO to respond militarily sooner and provide more basis to his narrative that NATO are warmongers expanding into a non-NATO state just as he claimed. Would he still have done it knowing what he knows now? Possibly, since if Ukraine was admitted into NATO then he would actually risk MAD, and so would lose his dream of reuniting Ukraine into the Russian sphere of influence forever

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i thought Tractor Plant meant Tank Factory?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

You’re going to let the French show you up Boris? You must nationalize Chelsea. Do it for the ghost.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hump day bitches! posted:

Vdv are Russian paratroopers. Russian special forces were hunting themselves?

Ukrainians also have VDV. So does every other ex-USSR country that did retain Soviet military traditions to some extent.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Apparently, the "Don't be alarmed, our troops are merely passing by," really pissed off Macron

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

punishedkissinger posted:

I removed it, comments say it might be fake news.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cirvot posted:

I feel like it's worth pointing out again that leftists being pro-Putin is not a thing in Europe. The only Putin support you will find there is among the far right shitheads.

So this seems to be largely a US phenomenon. Why this is I cannot say for certain but I would vager it has something to do with the US never having had a proper mainstream left movement. The US left is also a pretty young movement compared to the European one, which had to deal with and learn from these kind of situations during the world wars and cold war of the 1900s. A mature left would never take the side of the invading authoritarian major power in a conflict like this and it's quite hard to look at the US leftist movment acting so naively in the matter, but it's understandable in the way that the left in most of the rest of the world has about 100+ years on their US counterparts.

I know some posters here think I'm pro-Putin, but I don't, and I think the segment of the left (which I don't really claim to belong to either) that actually supports Putin is very small. There's a bigger segment that is happy to see the US lose pretty much regardless of the context, but what I think they're missing is that nothing that's happened really represents a loss for the US. A lot of analysts have talked for a long time about how it would be great if the US could withdraw from our forever wars (which we now have for the most part) and if our adversaries would bog themselves down with one, and Russia may have just found theirs. I don't think the US tricked them into it or anything, but I don't think the US particularly minded either. In short:

https://twitter.com/usarmy/status/242294060650475521

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

the popes toes posted:

Apparently, the "Don't be alarmed, our troops are merely passing by," really pissed off Macron

It must have been something. He was almost as all-in on talk to Putin as scholz and now he’s the only leader to pull the big trigger

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

You’re going to let the French show you up Boris? You must nationalize Chelsea. Do it for the ghost.

Nationalize Chelsea, sell it, and give the proceeds to the Ukrainians for reparations.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Ukrainians also have VDV. So does every other ex-USSR country that did retain Soviet military traditions to some extent.

Ukrainians air assault forces are the DShV. And that article about the battle in the airport is by the black rifle coffee company. A bunch of right wing culture warrior shitheads.

Not only a grain, but a boatload of salt with that source.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 26, 2022

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Does Putin even want him dead?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hump day bitches! posted:

Ukrainians air assault forces are the DShV.

Russian VDV brigades, strictly speaking, are DShB. I thought it was obvious that I'm using "VDV" as a generic shorthand for "air assault forces".

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It must have been something. He was almost as all-in on talk to Putin as scholz and now he’s the only leader to pull the big trigger

Maybe he realised that Putin really lost the plot? :smith:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Gunfire's getting close to Independence Square in Kyiv.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

There's a theory that Putin wants Zelensky gone so a hyper-nationalist who's easier to plausibly demonize and ideally is more divisive in Ukraine itself takes over and makes it easier to present a Russian puppet as a plausible alternative, but who knows.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

What would he even do with him? Killing him would just make him a martyr. Sticking him in a cell seems particularly gauche in this day and age but then I suppose I shouldn't put that past Putin considering... everything.

I think Putin's best option is to hope he flees the country.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Im just finding out about Zelensky being an actor

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

khwarezm posted:

What would he even do with him? Killing him would just make him a martyr. Sticking him in a cell seems particularly gauche in this day and age but then I suppose I shouldn't put that past Putin considering... everything.

I think Putin's best option is to hope he flees the country.

best case for putin would be some kind of muzzled house arrest where they can release pro-russian statements with his name on them for a year or two

even worse, a comedian

look up the mayor of kyiv next lol

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sephyr posted:

But it really looks that the second largest country of Europe, despite putting some good resistance here and there, has its capital under assault 2 days into the invasion. I'd be looking for any sign of hope as well, that the husk or an armored vehicle shown on Twitter was a big loss for the invaders and not just something their doctrine absorbs.

With Kiev's distance from the Belarusian border, which the Russians are attacking from it isnt really an amazing feat on the part of the Russian military or a crushing indictment of Ukraine's that the Russians are already there.

The Ukrainians may not have been as appreciative of how subservient Lukashenko actually ended up being to allow the Russians to involve his country as directly as they have though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

khwarezm posted:

Somebody in comments mentioned that there are potentially hundreds of of troops on those transports. If it really was shot down that could be as many Russians killed as the all of the British deaths in the Falklands war or coalition deaths in the initial conquest of Iraq.

Il-76, depending on modification, holds 100-200 soldiers, depending on modification.

Ukrainian Steven Colbert.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Supposedly there are lists of Ukrainian officials and activists related to Euromaidan for arrest, or anyone who might a problem.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/21/us-claims-russia-creating-lists-of-ukrainians-to-be-killed-or-sent-to-camps-report

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

It's weird, his political party is named after the TV show he started in where he played the President of Ukraine.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Grammarchist posted:

Supposedly there are lists of Ukrainian officials and activists related to Euromaidan for arrest, or anyone who might a problem.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/21/us-claims-russia-creating-lists-of-ukrainians-to-be-killed-or-sent-to-camps-report

In other words, every remotely queer person in Ukraine.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

KM Scorchio posted:

People seem to be very unwilling to accept the obvious; Human beings as a whole are not good.

This is like 50 pages back, because I am trying to read everything, but this needs to be said:

Go gently caress yourself and your petty, nihlist ideology to the moon.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Il-76, depending on modification, holds 100-200 soldiers, depending on modification.

Would we have reason to assume they have their full capacity?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pakled posted:

It's weird, his political party is named after the TV show he started in where he played the President of Ukraine.

Yeah it's insane. he had a TV show where he was a comedic everyman who shockingly wins the ukrainian elections as a popular outsider. Then... it happened in real life.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Can't remember if it was mentioned here but the US has done this as well.

Ratcheting up the pressure if the fat rats can't flee the ship

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1497377202777825285?t=69QCkR-Kt76CcNCS8gkwjg&s=19

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Ukrainian cat transport underway

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

That is an extremely Ukrainian cat

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Mokotow posted:

:toot:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Mokotow posted:

hell yea

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1497387915168694275

German intelligence may not be the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

No, it's a literal tractor factory. Both the Kharkiv plant and the famous Stalingrad tractor factory, among many others, were built during Stalin's first Five Year Plan to build tractors, in order to help modernize and mechanize the Soviet Union's agriculture. During World War II, the Stalingrad plant was converted into a tank factory, while Kharkiv was evacuated and destroyed. After the war both reverted to producing tractors, which Kharkiv does to this day. Or did, anyway.

Fun fact: Both the Kharkiv plant and the Stalingrad plant were designed by the Detroit, Michigan-based firm Albert Kahn Associates. Kahn was an extremely influential industrial engineer, and some of his other designs included the Ford River Rouge factory (the biggest in the world when it opened), the Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant, and the Willow Run Bomber Plant.