Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The only real change is that their wrestlers can't freelance and they are insistent it is a pro wrestling show but not pro wrestling. I honestly can't figure it out. They've lost of wrestlers over the past few years so idk it could be a cynical attempt to stop their girls forging connections with outsiders? Maybe Act Yasukawa has something going on where she isn't labelled as wrestling again, hence the masked gimmick/insistent terminology? It's a weird promotion, but for those who enjoyed what it was, it's still the same.

I really want to understand their reasoning behind this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

I really want to understand their reasoning behind this.

Just wild speculation but if they're not paying their actresses they convince to be wrestlers the industry standard going into Ice Ribbon or SEAd and finding that you're making a lot less than an average indie worker could be bad for morale

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Hey, I'm running a poll to decide Punch Sport Pagoda's favourite tag team and it's kind of a sausage fest in the top ten, so please feel free to drop in and give your favourite women's tag team some love if you haven't already.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The only real change is that their wrestlers can't freelance and they are insistent it is a pro wrestling show but not pro wrestling. I honestly can't figure it out. They've lost of wrestlers over the past few years so idk it could be a cynical attempt to stop their girls forging connections with outsiders? Maybe Act Yasukawa has something going on where she isn't labelled as wrestling again, hence the masked gimmick/insistent terminology? It's a weird promotion, but for those who enjoyed what it was, it's still the same.

I know you've explained the 'difference' before - I think once because I asked - and trying to parse the difference still makes my brain hurt.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Whatever they're doing, "pro-wrestling but not" seems crooked as hell, especially if they're announcing that they're changing tactics and then carrying on the same as before.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Actwres Malibu Stacy with New Hat!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

AWG is a cool inlet for future wrestlers who wouldn't fit in the traditional dojo systems. So old women and people from non-athletic backgrounds.

I can't really speak for how exploitive it is, but yeah they aren't making the same money chocopro pulls in.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
https://shinetodaybelievetomorrow.home.blog/2022/02/20/2022-02-18-kairi-return-press-conference/

Translation of the Kairi press conference.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Just wild speculation but if they're not paying their actresses they convince to be wrestlers the industry standard going into Ice Ribbon or SEAd and finding that you're making a lot less than an average indie worker could be bad for morale

This is what I'd think - as a promotion it always hemmoraged talent (just since early 2020 alone Stardom signed Himeka, Mai Sakurai, Waka Tsukiyama and Momo Kohgo from there; TJPW signed Nao Kakuta in late 2020; their top two pushed stars early on both left with Natsumi Maki going to TJPW before Stardom and Anou freelancing at I assume a higher rate; Tam Nakano started there but left quickly etc) and so this could be a way of avoiding that: and it wouldn't have worked to demand their then-signed wrestlers to cut off connections since you'd have had a riot. They also aren't using vets that work outside dates in the experienced slots which is new: from late 2020-2021 you had Cherry and AKINO working most shows as the veteran working with less experienced people; in the past they've had Michiko Moyagi, Yumiko Hotta and Yuu Yamagata amongst others doing that but now its Act Yasukawa and Natsumi Sumikawa who aren't working outside dates as wrestlers so that cuts off one connection.

If you are a Stardom I still think you scout there: unless they've decided to move towards written deals everyone there may be available fairly quickly and if they've got some people with talent which they always do then why not go back to that well again. The real disadvantage is to the rest of the scene: who had this core pool of talent to feature in freelance spots on cards which was fun but now they don't. From my perspective most of the talent that was interesting has left so while I'll seek them out it won't be as important as before: of the vets you have Misa Matsui who I think is really good and its sad she won't be on other shows anymore; Miku Aono who I enjoy but is probably the least interesting of the early AWG people to me; Mari who is fun but never worked a lot outside anyway and then Mii and Ayano Irie who I've never really found that good. Rookies are always fun (and they have some promising ones) and Act and Showzuki being back is good but like its a different feeling promotion anymore and most of the people I watched AWG for have left.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

DDM has like 30 people in it now.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/PuroresuFlow/status/1496117795523866628?t=OL78KGDJoNInt_0q_7ryjQ&s=19

Starlight Kid vs KAIRI in her return to Stardom

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/STARDOM_ENG/status/1496111635810893827?t=G_qZ-PyFphq3xzLkh1vTkQ&s=19

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Kagetsu would blow my brain out.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
I like that poster.

https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1495885259355078658

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Numero6 posted:

Kagetsu would blow my brain out.

The hands look male to me. Kagetsu would be cool though. Love that they're still doing these outside the ring segments. They're fun.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Now that I think of it, Nanae would make much more sense. That would be someone Hazuki would refer as sensei.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1496320447805333510?t=rojF6UlMyIzEU1HuEg3SsA&s=19

:derp::derp::derp:

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
https://twitter.com/DramaticDDT/status/1496398592378118144

Hell yeah I'm ready to do some motherfucking crying

Also stoked at Marika Kobashi getting to tag with Abdullah Kobayashi

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

STARDOM spoilers:

We just had Tall Saya vs Tam, why are we having it again so soon when there are plenty of compelling opponents?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

if you have the service, you should probably catch this match.

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1496610699036213248?s=20&t=8bhYKKXZme-nf5PZtJ5EeA

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Maybe when it's up in a few days lol. I thought the main was pretty great as well.

Those who enjoyed early Dragon Gate will surely love the “high speed” style.Hard to compare it to NJPW because the two styles are so conceptually different.That being said,Leon vs Natsuki Taiyo for that belt was easily an MOTYC when I’d seen it regardless of style preference,IMO https://twitter.com/davemeltzerwon/status/1496610699036213248

https://twitter.com/KennyOmegamanX/status/1496665014328909825

Was looking to find out when that match happened and lol it's the show when Kenny "killed the business" by wrestling that little girl.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ram Kaichow is big now

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

not hard to believe since AZM is the best wrestler in the world

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/Hassy0924/status/1497091103765712900

Sumire Natsu, Miyuki Takase, Maya Yukihi and Rina Yamashita promoting a freelance joshi show called Nomads

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

This gonna be the opposite of Wave's no freelancer rule?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I can see SAKI on the poster and she has her own promotion now so idk

Natsu is only producing for this show

Asuka, Anou, SAKI and Yuu confirmed. Those eight names alone would make for one hell for a base for a promotion should they decide to stop being NOMADS

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/Hassy0924/status/1497094687894958085

This tweet makes it seem like all participants are going to be freelancers

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

It is supposed to be all freelancers but I'm disputing that SAKI should count. I'm going to send a letter of complaint to Natsu

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Impressive list, other than Makoto they got all the obvious people you would think of as freelancers. Wonder who else they could get? Would Prominence be eligible? Maybe they could locate Mei Hoshizuki and bring her back to wrestling.

Stall_19 fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 25, 2022

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Makoto and Mizunami are the biggest name freelancers they haven't got on the show. I'd be surprised not to see Itsuki Aoki even if she technically works for Shawn Capture. Takase getting Kaho back into wrestling would rule too since they're working together on whatever Team YOLO is.

As for Prominence, idk what Maya's take on the whole thing given she still works with IR.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Like Prominence, Colors is officially a pro-wrestling unit rather than a promotion. So they're freelancers that can be booked together under that name and will put on self-produced shows.

I think the main thing is that rather than the traditional Joshi thing of not doing too many or any bookings outside the promotion if you're on the roster, the women in Colors and Prominence are free to be on any show and will be labelled as coming from the unit. The concept has only existed for a few months and neither unit has done their first in ring show so who knows how it will actually shake out.

Except Colors don't seem to have a coherent ideology that separates them from the post-Ice Ribbon pack like Prominence does, they're just a group of ex-AWG freelancers. Of the two, I think Colors is most likely to make the transition into a full fledged promotion sooner rather than later as that seems to have been SAKI's goal for awhile.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Feb 25, 2022

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
https://twitter.com/NOMADS_fs/status/1497128531146338306

I want to roll this poster into a tube and mail it to myself in 2018

e: I didn't think the embed would get the image in the quoted tweet too, whoops. I mean the yellow one

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Natsu is saying she'll do more shows and consider wrestling on them if this sells out. Might have to go.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I’ve only watched a handful of Natsu shows and they’re all really fun watches(the DVDs usually come with BTS looks at photo shoots where Natsu’s sense of humor really goes on display)

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

fez_machine posted:

Like Prominence, Colors is officially a pro-wrestling unit rather than a promotion. So they're freelancers that can be booked together under that name and will put on self-produced shows.

I think the main thing is that rather than the traditional Joshi thing of not doing too many or any bookings outside the promotion if you're on the roster, the women in Colors and Prominence are free to be on any show and will be labelled as coming from the unit. The concept has only existed for a few months and neither unit has done their first in ring show so who knows how it will actually shake out.

Except Colors don't seem to have a coherent ideology that separates them from the post-Ice Ribbon pack like Prominence does, they're just a group of ex-AWG freelancers. Of the two, I think Colors is most likely to make the transition into a full fledged promotion sooner rather than later as that seems to have been SAKI's goal for awhile.

I’d disagree with most of this - most Joshi promotions are perfectly content with talent taking a lot of bookings outside their promotion - Stardom (which is a major promotion so a level above the Joshi indies), TJPW (an intentional decision to develop something different) and AWG (possibly the same, possibly a move to avoid people defecting) don’t but everyone else does to some degree. Color’s identity is literally being the continuation of the AWG group (the dance they do appears to literally be the same Color’s dance from AWG; the core four are the four Color’s wrestlers that left in December and they brought Hotta and Kawahata back for their first show) and it appears to have been something that SAKI was convinced into doing by Hikari Shimizu as a “let’s keep the gang together” thing. The open question with Prominence is the nature of the Stardom connection: is it a one and done; will they be a Marvelous type thing where Sera and Suzu show up every so often while being separate; is it something else entirely.

My take on this is different; I think it’s an indication of weakness within the smaller promotions. COVID has been tough for a lot of companies; we know NJPW cut pay and if they did with corporate backing I suspect the indies did and that is why some would leave to try freelance. AWG lost two wrestlers in the summer to Stardom and then almost the entire roster left last year (having announced that they planned to change direction and ban working outside promotions in April apparently); Ice Ribbon lost six people including the last three new people they gave substantive ICExInfinity reigns to: those aren’t signs that the promotions are doing well. Naturally the wrestlers involved will say that they want to try something different and you get a freelance push like this but it’s not a decision you make if you have security in your current promotion.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Riko Kawahata vs Yumiko Hotta frpm SEAdLINNNG 21/2 was a fun rookie vs trainer beatdown. Kawahata came in hot and didn't even let Hotta get her jacket off.

Not going to be on any end of year lists but fun and pretty brutal

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

IceAgeComing posted:

I’d disagree with most of this - most Joshi promotions are perfectly content with talent taking a lot of bookings outside their promotion - Stardom (which is a major promotion so a level above the Joshi indies), TJPW (an intentional decision to develop something different) and AWG (possibly the same, possibly a move to avoid people defecting) don’t but everyone else does to some degree.

I'll bow down to your deeper knowledge and longer history with Joshi (although looking at Cagematch I don't see a large amount of outside bookings for most promotion's rosters before the down turn) and I don't disagree with you on the indication of weakness in the scene. Any extended inter-promotional activity is nearly always a sign that someone is in trouble.

IceAgeComing posted:

Color’s identity is literally being the continuation of the AWG group (the dance they do appears to literally be the same Color’s dance from AWG; the core four are the four Color’s wrestlers that left in December and they brought Hotta and Kawahata back for their first show) and it appears to have been something that SAKI was convinced into doing by Hikari Shimizu as a “let’s keep the gang together” thing.

I agree, I just don't think Color's distinguishes itself by being a continuation of the AWG group. There's a lot of Joshi out there that does things similar to Color's. Keeping the gang together isn't a compelling hook compared to the Prominence approach of going all in on a distinctive style of Joshi deathmatch and being the women's Suzuki-Gun. Color's always felt to me like SAKI carving out a sub-promotion of AWG that followed Emi Sakura's philosophies (for a bunch of her AWG career SAKI was more of a Gatoh Move wrestler than an AWG wrestler).

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

What distiguishes Emi's philosophy? I've seen the terms Sakuraism and Nanaeism used here and elsewhere. What do they mean?

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I have such a vague understanding of Emi vs Nanae's philosophies on how Joshi should work but iirc Emi had the approach that Joshi should be for everyone and fun for both the wrestlers and the fans which is why she split from Ice Ribbon to start a show in Thailand called Gatoh Move which eventually morphed into Choco Pro while Nanae wanted a more serious and disciplined style like AJW

You can see the difference in styles because Emi's best student is Riho who was trained from a child and Nanae's protoge is Asuka/Kana in the WWE. Asuka herself had really strong opinions at one time on what Joshi wrestling should be (More serious, no idols or children) but she lightened up a lot before she even signed to the WWE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/Hassy0924/status/1497427348181815299?t=3GjCdrSlgrKuRSkF1Vt1Yg&s=19

Shida teaming with Tsukka at the next Ice Korakuen