Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Has there been any significant EW actions by the Russians that we know of? If something large scale happened like the power plant incidents there in ‘13 (I think?) and what happened in Georgia we would have found out already. Definitely going to be interesting to see how any cyber attacks were defended.

I don’t really believe the “leaving the internet up until war crimes” stuff. Would have been super advantageous to knock that poo poo out right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shade2142
Oct 10, 2012

Rollin'

my morning jackass posted:

Has there been any significant EW actions by the Russians that we know of? If something large scale happened like the power plant incidents there in ‘13 (I think?) and what happened in Georgia we would have found out already. Definitely going to be interesting to see how any cyber attacks were defended.

I don’t really believe the “leaving the internet up until war crimes” stuff. Would have been super advantageous to knock that poo poo out right away.

Best answer I've read is that Russia expected victory and wanted broadcasted to demoralize the rest of the UKR.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Stultus Maximus posted:

I thought I had read the worst take of the day when I got up this morning, but it turns out it was waiting for me to go to bed:

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1496977267188281344

just wanted to post gently caress steve bannon

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Remember, that man had TS/SCI clearance and the Oval Office on speed dial. :shepface:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

ded posted:

just wanted to post gently caress steve bannon

not emptyquoting

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Word on the wire is that somebody somewhere American has confirmed that two IL-76s packed with paratroopers were, indeed, shot down. Russia really is still pushing the airdrops and has landed dudes south of Kyiv (?).

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Naked Bear posted:

Word on the wire is that somebody somewhere American has confirmed that two IL-76s packed with paratroopers were, indeed, shot down. Russia really is still pushing the airdrops and has landed dudes south of Kyiv (?).

loving hell. Husbanding their surface to air or fighter assets seems to have worked in Ukraine's favor?

Arrath fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 26, 2022

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Naked Bear posted:

It's an AP article:

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497430637166407686

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Naked Bear posted:

loving Market-Garden went smoother than these Russian airborne ops.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That's 2 whole companies of paratroopers dead, if those transports were full. I think there's a few configurations for it, though? Cargo, paratrooper, normal troop transport, etc. No matter what, that's a decent L.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

"I need ammunition, not a ride." Is one of the most metal things I've ever heard, goddamn. This dude was a comedian before he got elected??

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

loving Market-Garden went smoother than these Russian airborne ops.

Market Garden drops were easy. It's the rest of it that went to poo poo...but yeah Russia isn't gonna haf a SF/Airborne community left after this.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

QuoProQuid posted:

WNYC had a participant of the 1956 Hungarian Revolution call in and he started providing pro tips to the defenders of Kyiv on how to best use Molotov cocktails to destroy its enemies before the host abruptly disconnected them: https://twitter.com/msbishop/status/1497016939608264705?s=21

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

Arrath posted:

"I need ammunition, not a ride." Is one of the most metal things I've ever heard, goddamn. This dude was a comedian before he got elected??

That is actually true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volodymyr_Zelenskyy

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

BUG JUG posted:

Market Garden drops were easy. It's the rest of it that went to poo poo...but yeah Russia isn't gonna haf a SF/Airborne community left after this.

A Bridge Too Far is still in my top 5 PC games of all time.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
He basically got elected on a lark (government corruption), then immediately got blackmailed by an American President, then got invaded by Russia three years later.

And Kiev officially survived the night.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Arrath posted:

The mayor of Kyiv is also staying to fight. He's a retired professional boxer who held the WBC heavyweight title for five years, and only relinquished it because he wanted to run for mayor of Kyiv.

e: 41-2 record, only losses were one RTD and one TKO. No "real" knockouts. God drat.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Some sources are estimating Russian deaths already in the four figures holy poo poo

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

What was the last time a major world power hosed up an invasion this badly? They've had a ton of armor, aircraft, vehicles, and manpower destroyed/killed and they haven't even gotten to Kyiv yet, which sounds like it's going to be an urban warfare hellscape for whatever actually gets there.

It's still David vs. Goliath, but holy poo poo, it's going to be a pyrrhic victory if there ever was one in modern times.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kazinsal posted:

The mayor of Kyiv is also staying to fight. He's a retired professional boxer who held the WBC heavyweight title for five years, and only relinquished it because he wanted to run for mayor of Kyiv.

e: 41-2 record, only losses were one RTD and one TKO. No "real" knockouts. God drat.

His brother, also a boxer and a member of the Ukrainian Parliament, is also also Hayden Panettiere's babydaddy.

They both look exactly what you'd expect an Eastern European boxer-turned-politician to look like.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

His brother, also a boxer and a member of the Ukrainian Parliament, is also also Hayden Panettiere's babydaddy.

They both look exactly what you'd expect an Eastern European boxer-turned-politician to look like.

Sentient ground beef in ill-fitting suits?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

https://twitter.com/zoyashef/status/1497427859971121153?t=8NjyPv4xdLGEsKSK7E8cLw&s=19

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CBJSprague24 posted:

What was the last time a major world power hosed up an invasion this badly? They've had a ton of armor, aircraft, vehicles, and manpower destroyed/killed and they haven't even gotten to Kyiv yet, which sounds like it's going to be an urban warfare hellscape for whatever actually gets there.

It's still David vs. Goliath, but holy poo poo.

The First Italo-Ethiopian War comes to mind. The Second Italo-Ethiopian War was "all war crimes, all the time" so the Italians won that one, but not without five figures' worth of dead and anywhere from 40-100k wounded.

Oh, and of course, the Soviet invasion of Finland and the Bay of Pigs. :allears:

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

A Bridge Too Far is still in my top 5 PC games of all time.

I can legit see that cover art in my memory. Never ended up getting it, but was seriously tempted from time to time. Might see if it's on GoG...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

USAF saying "Hi! We're here!"

https://twitter.com/rjonesy/status/1497423812618555396

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Sentient ground beef in ill-fitting suits?

The Klitscko's are rather well spoken and normal actually. Its the russian boxers that make you ask silent questions

Will see if I can google images

E. I won't. And that was a mean thing to say about Nikolai Valuev. He looks (mostly) normal outside British tabloid headlines

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 26, 2022

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
The brother who's the mayor of Kyiv is also a chess enthusiast and friend of former chess world champion Vladimir Kramnik.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kazinsal posted:

The brother who's the mayor of Kyiv is also a chess enthusiast and friend of former chess world champion Vladimir Kramnik.

Every Ukrainian is a chess enthusiast. So is every Russian. There's a reason for the expression "two Russians are a chess game."

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 26, 2022

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The First Italo-Ethiopian War comes to mind. The Second Italo-Ethiopian War was "all war crimes, all the time" so the Italians won that one, but not without five figures' worth of dead and anywhere from 40-100k wounded.

Oh, and of course, the Soviet invasion of Finland and the Bay of Pigs. :allears:

Soviet invasion of Finland mixed with every war in Afghanistan is probably a better comparison in that Finland “lost” like but not really and any government in Afghanistan had also “lost” every war but never actually is conquered for any length of time. I don’t see Ukraine as it is now surviving long once Russia commits all the reserves on the border but I don’t see Ukraine being occupied successfully

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

CNN showed Zelensky's message to the people and Putin's counter-programming in which he bangs on about Neo-Nazis and drug addicts and, holy poo poo, does it sound a lot like :smugdon:'s verbal diarrhea about fake news, the radical left, the big lie, etc.

"My word is gold. I am omniscient and you should listen to me!"

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Alright the fact that he played the president in a series the years before his election is some crazy poo poo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arrath posted:

Alright the fact that he played the president in a series the years before his election is some crazy poo poo.

And yet when we elected an actor to be president we got Reagan.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
"Martin Sheen (D-West Wing), has announced he will run for President."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kazinsal posted:

When I heard the mayor was named Klitchko I was just "naw it has to be a diff holy poo poo it's him". I don't even follow boxing and I know that guy.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Fromage posted:

When I heard the mayor was named Klitchko I was just "naw it has to be a diff holy poo poo it's him". I don't even follow boxing and I know that guy.

I actually remember when I was living in New York walking by a Ukrainian social club and they had a huge poster of him on the front of the building.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I think the dude is only going to live for a few more days, but goddamn he sure is doing this leader/mascot thing quite loving well.

https://twitter.com/News4Ukraine/status/1497434716538028033

"do not believe the fakes"

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1497450853380280320

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Untagged posted:

Do you want the Illusive Man? That's how you get the Illusive Man.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Do you want the Illusive Man? That's how you get the Illusive Man.

takes a drag mmmmpppffffffff Shepard

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

This war is only 2-3 days old and its already just blowing my loving mind how much has happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

And yet when we elected an actor to be president we got Reagan.

Yeah, that fuckin sucked.

Though now I'm imaging if Eastwood got elected, we got invaded, and he went around plugging fools with a .44.

Untagged posted:

Plz no