Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I acknowledge that we are probably in our own echo chamber, with that being said. If even a quarter of these stories are true about ukrainians and their resolve.....just....speechless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

tracecomplete posted:

It sure doesn't look like there are a ton of disputing stories nor grand victories from the Russian information services. They seem pretty quiet--not silent, but pretty quiet. That's what fascists do when they're afraid of looking weak.

Just to kinda hammer this home. Its really easy and really textbook for an opposing side to provide proof that a claim is incorrect. Russia hasn't been doing that a whole lot and while a completely fair read on the matter is that they just don't care its really really loving weird.

For instance if they shot down the Ghost of Kiev or whatever they aren't going to blow opsec out of the water by posting the relevant gun cam footage since the capabilities and presence of their aircraft are pretty well known. It would be an extremely easy way for them to damage morale which is super super super key right now for them.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1497448514254782469?t=2Y8BACfWDXrHn9Ym9Xrwow&s=19

Oops

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

cr0y posted:

I acknowledge that we are probably in our own echo chamber, with that being said. If even a quarter of these stories are true about ukrainians and their resolve.....just....speechless.

I personally like to think that the old sunflower lady is old enough to have been a WWII survivor and is thinking, "Fucker, I lived through Hitler, this Putin guy is nothing."

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I haven't been able to keep up with this thread much so apologies if this was already posted but The Drive linked this tweet that is supposedly from Kyiv.

Per the rules in the OP:

It shows some Russian troop transports of some sort rolling down a city street and then a giant group of civilians bombarding the gently caress out of them with Molotov cocktails. It doesn't directly show anybody dying although it's unclear if whoever is inside of the vehicles is ok.

https://twitter.com/GeografiaGeralT/status/1497406017688113152?t=JCQupQiIX_X5ZMU7eo9MXQ&s=19

I've seen a ton of crazy videos so far but in my opinion this is the wildest. I'm seeing civilians in a modern European capital throwing molotovs at a Russian military vehicle in an invasion scenario, something I never even considered I would see.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
It's possible that the Russians have taken 3500 casualties in terms of dead + wounded, usually you get a lot wounded for each dead.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Kill All Cops posted:

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1497435553503092736

I wonder, along with France's 300 million Euros, what can be achieved with this cashflow while Kyiv is under siege?

They can move numbers around and pay people to do things that those people normally wouldn't do for less money.

A couple hundred million dollars is nothing in a conflict of this size, but if you can open up ATMs so that things downstream can be greased that's not a bad thing.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

D-Pad posted:

I haven't been able to keep up with this thread much so apologies if this was already posted but The Drive linked this tweet that is supposedly from Kyiv.

Per the rules in the OP:

It shows some Russian troop transports of some sort rolling down a city street and then a giant group of civilians bombarding the gently caress out of them with Molotov cocktails. It doesn't directly show anybody dying although it's unclear if whoever is inside of the vehicles is ok.

https://twitter.com/GeografiaGeralT/status/1497406017688113152?t=JCQupQiIX_X5ZMU7eo9MXQ&s=19

I've seen a ton of crazy videos so far but in my opinion this is the wildest. I'm seeing civilians in a modern European capital throwing molotovs at a Russian military vehicle in an invasion scenario, something I never even considered I would see.

that was brought up multiple times previously, and that is from 2014.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Sinteres posted:

Yeah what reason would Ukraine's military have to lie about Russian casualty numbers? I'm on the 'this probably isn't going as well as Russia expected' train now, but literally no country can be trusted with casualty numbers in these conditions.

Well most likely they are getting information from NATO on Russian losses. A mixture of satellites, drones and good old fashioned espionage would get you pretty accurate numbers. The fact that Russia isn't stating losses publicly lends end more credibility since if they were wrong they would be shouting it from the rooftops.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
edit removed. Don't like the video in the linked tweet.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

D-Pad posted:

Per the rules in the OP:

footage may be from euromaidan, so you know, a previous civilian uprising against russian-adjacent military

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Japanese news sources now reporting on the ship that was hit by a missile. Japan still hasn't committed to sanctions yet, I wonder if this will give them a push?

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1497449393850839042?t=-RDst4urwiRdS4AaRHkgoA&s=19

Articles in Japan Times and Kyodo News.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Does the Russian Parliament actually have any serious power, or are these just folks that will see accidents soon?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Hello friends, I would like to end this day by giving you a summary of what you all achieved.

First of all, a cat is with his (her?) family, safe and sound and away from war. I didn’t catch the name, everyone referred to it as “koticka”. More importantly (???), 2 kids are now home with their family and a teenager is on the way to Germany to her family.

Your money went towards keeping all involved warm, safe and well-fed. Drinks and snacks were distributed liberally to people. Because of the delays on the border, Julia (the teenager, unrelated to the kids) had to wait in the car something like 8 hours for the kids and cat to join us, but since we could burn diesel, we did.

I delivered the kids and cat to their family in Warsaw, but the problems actually started here for Julia - she initially said she wants to take a bus to Bremen from Warsaw. When we got to the bus station it turned out she doesn’t actually know if there are busses to Bremen running. After googling it turned out the bus not only leaves in 12 hours, the trip takes 18 more hours. Based on what Julia said, she was on the road at least 48 hours non stop, possibly more and waiting for the bus was not an option.

At this point I considered air tickets, but as I talked with her it became apparent that Julia never really travelled, plus there are no direct connections. With your money, I purchased train tickets for her, thanks to which inshallah she will be home around 15:30 CET with her family in Germany. I spent the last hour writing a Ukrainian-Polish-German train traveller dictionary, explaining nuances like the difference between “gleis” and “tor”. Short of riding the train ti Bremen, I did what I could.

Things I should have known/though about:
- it never occurred to me I’ll spend 8 hours in a frozen field. I was underdressed and I feel horrible.
- it never occurred to me to bring a tank of tea, snacks, blankets, etc. this could have went a long way!
- not sure about this one, but… I’didn’t check ahead or call anyone, I just went and randomly was given the opportunity to help these people, which just might have not happened, because when we were coming back, the road to the border was cordoned off by Police and people were, somewhat forcefully if you ask me, taken to a reception center somewhere in the area, and randos like me looking to help (there was a fair few) were essentially cut off from the border.

Things I learned
- the system is already running at capacity. The reception center is full, as are all Hostels and hotels around the border. There’s no central effort other than the reception centers to house people - I only heard about Facebook groups just randomly organizing places for people are the country.
- people running away from war are scared - no poo poo Sherlock. But the thing is you get out the bus in another country, its dark, cold, there are sirens and people in uniforms and everyones milling about and mist everyone was terrified and sort of just huddled away from all the questions, attention etc. It was horrible to see and hard to understand for everyone to just take a step back and let these people breathe for a second and drink some tea before they need to decided anything.

Things I won’t unsee
- a mother saying goodbye to her kids before going back into the war, trying not to brake into a million pieces in front if them. Fuuuuuuck.
- a group of Ukrainian men trying to get back into their country, but unable to, because the crossing is car only. A car would go to Ukraine only once every hour or so, and the drivers would take anyone, but these were mostly vans and trucks with a single free seat and these dudes always gave priority to the women going back so they won’t have to sit in the cold. I didn’t mention there are zero facilities and these people stand on the road in front of the border barrier.

I’m out, thanks everyone, you made some peoples’ lives less miserable in this.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

cr0y posted:

They can move numbers around and pay people to do things that those people normally wouldn't do for less money

It's a pretty euphemism, and politically reliable to say "aide to Ukraine" instead of "so Ukraine can flip it to Poland and help foot the cost for Javs and such".

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

wow.. its...the flag

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

How does US and Polish support help Ukraine now? Like how do you even distribute and move all those NLAWS and Javelin missiles to the front without getting your supply lines bombed to poo poo.

The Russians surely know about the Lviv corridor and plan to interdict it somehow?

Then there’s the other question, how do any of these new enlisted troops in Ukraine stand a chance if there’s zero time to train them?

I’m just trying to understand if any of this material support can actually help. Like don’t you need a lot of training to fire a javelin or a stinger missile?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

Then there’s the other question, how do any of these new enlisted troops in Ukraine stand a chance if there’s zero time to train them?

realistically, they don't and a lot of them are going to die

SonnyVasquez
Oct 17, 2012

El riesgo siempre vive!

Charlz Guybon posted:

A chilling image on the cover of
@novaya_gazeta
’s current live coverage of the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Caption reads: “A dead Russian soldier beside a burnt armored vehicle in Kharkiv.” Photo by Sergey Kozlov / EPA.
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1497410056270360584

Has that snowed over already? Pretty sure that was relatively dry and clear two days ago... crazy.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

it is super unlikely this thing goes on a couple more weeks, the longer it does the more the people of ukraine will suffer from lack of food, at which point the ukraine government will have to capitulate if putin doesn't give up first

We've already seen footage of Russian soldiers breaking into stores to steal food, Ukrainian soldiers don't need to do that to my knowledge? Poland is also sending munitions across the border and if needed I am sure would have no issues sending food and medical supplies as well were they needed. I think Ukraine is fairly safe in that regard but we already see Russian soldiers so desperate for food that they're clumsily breaking into shops to feed themselves. Maybe a hot take but I think that time is on Ukraine's side here with the longer they can hold out, the more supplies are being brought into the country while Russian forces are starving and acting reckless.

Everything could change during a single strike or battle of course but I think the one advantage the Ukrainian forces have is that they can dig in and be somewhat comfortable, which is something the Russians cannot do.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

Japanese news sources now reporting on the ship that was hit by a missile. Japan still hasn't committed to sanctions yet, I wonder if this will give them a push?

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1497449393850839042?t=-RDst4urwiRdS4AaRHkgoA&s=19

Japan sanctioned RU immediately after recognizing LDNR, but ueah, no specific anti war sanctions yet.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Dante posted:

Military probably a demilitarized buffer state, or a militarized client state (or both by annexing a part). Strategically Putin doesn't want a large western-oriented democracy on its border and the long-term consequences that might have for autocratic regime stability in Russia. While Ukraine is quite poor and hasn't fared well after the Soviet era, it is also the "breadbasket of europe" and that's attractive if you're trying to sanction-proof your country. Additionally Ukraine is of symbolic importance as it had a strong cultural influence on USSR and still does in Russia. Russia still occupies 20% of Georgia after the 2008 Russo–Georgian War, and that was a fairly similar situation.

I think that's one of the things that makes this fight harder for Russia if a quick, decapitation-strike-style approach doesn't work--it's harder to just pancake cities in Ukraine like Russia did in Syria or Chechnya. These are people who are culturally and ethnically similar to Russians and therefore a lot more sympathetic to people in Russia. Not saying it won't happen, just harder to do.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Kraftwerk posted:

How does US and Polish support help Ukraine now? Like how do you even distribute and move all those NLAWS and Javelin missiles to the front without getting your supply lines bombed to poo poo.

The Russians surely know about the Lviv corridor and plan to interdict it somehow?

I’m just trying to understand if any of this material support can actually help. Like don’t you need a lot of training to fire a javelin or a stinger missile?

You'd think but apparently that fairly decent sized polish ammunition convoy made it in and is currently getting distributed.

It definitely will get harder or impossible as time goes on.

In regards to training, maybe? I feel like a lot of equipment like that is fairly idiot proof due to a combination of high stress environments and also having an extremely wide range of people who are going to need to use it. From reports Javs have been doing work so they likely have a body of trained folk they could utilize.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 26, 2022

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

this is the dictionary definition of propaganda

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Sinteres posted:

Yeah what reason would Ukraine's military have to lie about Russian casualty numbers? I'm on the 'this probably isn't going as well as Russia expected' train now, but literally no country can be trusted with casualty numbers in these conditions.

Yeah but that's a low loss for aircraft in a peer to peer to environment, even if exaggerated. It suggests that Russia is being extremely air-cautious, which is pretty interesting - very little air engagement. Any modern peer to peer engagement should see a high loss of aircraft because you need to saturate and also accept attrition. Also, the lack of cruise missile usage by Russians is bizarre, unless I am wrong. There is no doubt that NATO satellite coverage is abetting Ukraine. There is some high level fuckery going on with milsat and cyber oversight. I honestly wonder if the Chinese are in that sphere.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

KitConstantine posted:

It's a Panamanian-flagged ship, owned by a Japanese company and with a Philippine crew:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20220226/k10013502331000.html

Damage was light and one crewman suffered a minor shoulder injury, I'd be incredibly surprised if this moved the needle much.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

OctaMurk posted:

It's possible that the Russians have taken 3500 casualties in terms of dead + wounded, usually you get a lot wounded for each dead.

It's peculiar but the nature of the combat rn is that the Russians are moving so fast that anyone who is seriously injured is probably either getting captured or dying from injuries if they're not getting ferried back to Belarus or Rostov-on-Don.

Also, armored combat doesn't produce a lot of living casualties. Or casualties that want to remain living.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Kraftwerk posted:

Russia isn't going to attack that close to the Polish border, they don't want to give NATO a reason to enter the conflict directly and/or end the Russian military entirely. Any aircraft would be taken out either by Ukrainian or Polish AA defenses. A missile attack that close to the border would end badly. If ground forces are close enough to intercept the conflict is lost.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

Probably, but you also love Russia a little too much it seems.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
No idea what he's saying but he's letting everyone know he's still there and still alive

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1497450853380280320

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

JosefStalinator posted:

I could see Europe/US providing a lot of emergency aid to mitigate some of the food shortages. The nice thing for Ukraine is that the Poland -> Lviv corridor remains open and a good source of military and humanitarian aid.

everyone in western ukraine will be fine as long as the war doesn't move there

it's central and eastern ukraine which will start getting food problems if the war persists. it is difficult to keep grocery stores supplied in a combat zone, and i doubt russia will be distributing food to the people

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

In other news, Zelenskyy continues to be an absolute legend

https://twitter.com/News4Ukraine/status/1497434716538028033?t=hwBcQxpl0dXhMfvvXLkJMg&s=19

Not sure if it's better for Russia to kill or capture him at this point. He has the makings of a martyr.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

E: never mind this is a crappy joke

cr0y fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 26, 2022

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
While it would be great if Ukraine pulls a Winter War, it's only been one day. I feel that many are being too optimistic.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

tracecomplete posted:

Halve those numbers and they're still bad, and RIP to half of a BUK-1 system I guess.

I saw footage of a Buk-1 being hit by a Hind on an active highway, highly confirmable as the view drives past it during the fight, but I'm wondering if that might have been that credit. The video claimed the Hind was Russian but why is an AA system on a highway (would seem unlikely for the Ukrainians right now) so I'm wondering if that might be yet another example of Ukrainian air power being alive and kicking. Which is loco to acknowledge.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

cr0y posted:

Really? A Gulf of Tonkin reboot?

Are you suggesting this is a hoax?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Djarum posted:

Russia isn't going to attack that close to the Polish border, they don't want to give NATO a reason to enter the conflict directly and/or end the Russian military entirely. Any aircraft would be taken out either by Ukrainian or Polish AA defenses. A missile attack that close to the border would end badly. If ground forces are close enough to intercept the conflict is lost.

Yeah, and also the risk that given it's a lot of people trying to get their families, young kids, elderly, etc., over to Poland, it's as likely that Russia would blow up a bus of children as it is a shipment of ammunition.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

Most definitely, but if you cut those numbers in half or even quarter them, that's still incredibly bad for Russia.

Also, Russia doesn't seem to be releasing any numbers to try to counter this (or I've just not been seeing anything on Twitter).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

You're a noble person, comrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

punishedkissinger posted:

Are you suggesting this is a hoax?

No not at all my joke is just terrible