Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

PeterCat posted:

I think that's supposed to be an unprotected bike lane on the right? But those things scare the poo poo out of me.

It's like the lane you can see on the right side of the road here. Yeah, just an narrow painted lane on a 40mph road, also the right turn into the shopping area cuts over the lane as well, so I just ride on the sidewalk instead of risking my life.

none of those palm trees are native btw and they provide zero shade

hate them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

actionjackson posted:

you're telling me you can hear traffic two miles away? are you an owl?

The sound carries, there's nothing between me and the freeway except open air

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
How can you hear the traffic from two miles away over all the traffic from less than a mile away?

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Fame Douglas posted:

You can still hear highway traffic pretty far away in quiet rural environments.

Two miles is really far. I can see vehicles driving down the road a mile away from me (I know because we're surrounded by mile roads), but I definitely can't hear them.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Karach posted:

Two miles is really far. I can see vehicles driving down the road a mile away from me (I know because we're surrounded by mile roads), but I definitely can't hear them.

Without obstruction in a quiet environment you'd be able to hear freeway noise (~90dB) from well over five miles away.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Karach posted:

The speed is the most important part. If you have some rural roads with a speed limit of 30-55 you'll rarely hear the traffic. If you have a freeway with speeds of 65+ you'll be able to hear it from further away.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

I have been trying to get stereo field recordings of birds without using highly directional mics and let me tell you, I loving hate cars. Planes can go gently caress themselves too.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
I hope when gas becomes unaffordable that all trucks will have their beds cut off so they can be made into horse-drawn trailers.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

hate them

But it's the desert! Have to have middle eastern palm trees in the American desert!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

hate them

Loitering in public places is against the law citizen civilian

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

watching some movies and my favourite car trope has to be when cops or whoever is staking out a person and they just sit in the front seat of their car in broad daylight like they're invisible

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

insane thread about a driver with 28k dollars in outstanding speeding tickets who got his license renewed no problemo

https://twitter.com/gwhennigan/status/1496534088907431942

and we wonder why our streets are loving anarchy

mystes
May 31, 2006

To be fair the other option in that situation in the US is being shot by the police when they come looking for the guy who hasn't lived there for seven years

You'd think he could somehow the license suspended purely for using an invalid address if not for being someone who shouldn't be allowed to drive though considering that you legally have to notify the DMV when you move in Virginia?

mystes has issued a correction as of 22:48 on Feb 24, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

this is the rendering for the I-94 we'd like, it was designed by Ian Lockwood who has done a lot of freeway removals

https://twitter.com/OurStreetsMpls/status/1496160667220549634

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Interesting approach with some balls

https://twitter.com/braitsch/status/1496645418876227588?s=20&t=aB1y4iz21_1vXva6eQFUWw

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

El Pollo Blanco posted:

E motorbikes are kinda dumb because in order to go as fast as a bike that barely sips petrol you need to add a huge amount of battery weight for the high voltage and high discharge rate required

E mopeds make more sense as you're only aiming for 50-60kph top speed on a lighter chassis, and 50 miles of range on a charge is fine for most cities I imagine

When I was in Taiwan five years ago, they had e-mopeds that used battery shares, so you'd just drop off your dead battery in the charging station and pick up a live one in exchange.

I have no idea what the externalities of that are, but it looked pretty awesome, and a lot of their street infrastructure is built for mopeds.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

oh hell yes

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Ham Equity posted:

When I was in Taiwan five years ago, they had e-mopeds that used battery shares, so you'd just drop off your dead battery in the charging station and pick up a live one in exchange.

I have no idea what the externalities of that are, but it looked pretty awesome, and a lot of their street infrastructure is built for mopeds.

Stupid loving cars making it harder to be a wannabe mod.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onHc06vX0k0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnSPCi7ARkg

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mystes posted:

To be fair the other option in that situation in the US is being shot by the police when they come looking for the guy who hasn't lived there for seven years

You'd think he could somehow the license suspended purely for using an invalid address if not for being someone who shouldn't be allowed to drive though considering that you legally have to notify the DMV when you move in Virginia?

Would not want to smoke weed in that house for sure

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lol yeah that guy is gonna get shot when they finally come looking for mr. ticket

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

one more reason why train good car bad:

https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1497282601521926145?s=20&t=alLKN9M7pklIpgi6mD5O7w

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

instructions unclear, used all the train tracks for tank traps.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

in reference to my previous post with the twin cities boulevard rendering by ian lockwood (look him up btw he owns), I read a comment that those neighborhoods would be gentrified to hell if they built it, which is an interesting argument. a lot of those areas have very low housing costs because they are right next to the freeway (for example cedar-riverside, home to most of the Somali community). not sure how to best respond to that because it does have a lot of merit.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

actionjackson posted:

in reference to my previous post with the twin cities boulevard rendering by ian lockwood (look him up btw he owns), I read a comment that those neighborhoods would be gentrified to hell if they built it, which is an interesting argument. a lot of those areas have very low housing costs because they are right next to the freeway (for example cedar-riverside, home to most of the Somali community). not sure how to best respond to that because it does have a lot of merit.

Welp I guess in our current capitalist hell-society better things aren't possible. Good Job everyone. Because any kind of improvement would benefit the rich, the only fair thing to do is to maintain the status quo.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Welp I guess in our current capitalist hell-society better things aren't possible. Good Job everyone. Because any kind of improvement would benefit the rich, the only fair thing to do is to maintain the status quo.

stfu bitch, I'm just saying that I can see a lot of Somali residents being concerned about this

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

actionjackson posted:

stfu bitch, I'm just saying that I can see a lot of Somali residents being concerned about this

NIMBYism transcends race. Gentrification is indeed a problem, but it's existence isn't an excuse to not do anything. It's a separate fight but one that must be fought after infrastructure is re-built.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
So what I'm hearing is, we shouldn't make improvements that make land more valuable, because that value accrues to a few individuals rather than benefiting the commons...????

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

I would say that at least in NYC, it's been the case that the government puts bike and safe streets infrastructure in neighbourhoods that are gentrifying or that they hope to gentrify. Safe streets are seen as an "amenity" and not basic infrastructure. People see that improvements get made only when new residents arrive who have more suction with city hall, and understandably get pissed. The status quo is also highly discriminatory though, as you probably know (look who's disproportionately killed by cars basically everywhere).

Organizing with people concerned about street safety already present (there are always such people, they may just phrase things differently, lots of parents are concerned about their kids getting loving flattened on the way to school)can help. And trying to form a citywide plan so that every time a street gets resurfaced, for example, there should be safety improvements like bulb-outs, a bike lane, etc. included. Easier said than done.

I've heard good things about the book "Bike Lanes are White Lines" on this topic.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

NIMBYism transcends race. Gentrification is indeed a problem, but it's existence isn't an excuse to not do anything. It's a separate fight but one that must be fought after infrastructure is re-built.

90% of the harm of gentrification could be eliminated with one weird trick. Discovered by a chairman.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

actionjackson posted:

this sounds like a good argument for instituting strict rent control and building social housing on some of the land recaptured from removing the freeway, not for accepting the status quo with the somali community living next to a toxic car sewer

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/_johnbyrne/status/1497197591762776066?t=tYksoKwkkFe_eTrrHSoZOQ&s=19

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm seeing lots of people straight up blowing through red lights (like everyone is stopped and they just hop into the turn lane and keep going straight) and it's freaking me out.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

solution to gentrification: city wide safe streets and human centered design.

also: full communism now.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

was walking my dog through a suburban neighborhood earlier today. we were on the sidewalk along the left side of the road when at one point we passed by someone who was idling on the curb, their car in the 'wrong' direction facing the opposing lane of travel. I noticed the driver was alone in their car, staring intently down at their phone.

we continued another 50 feet or so down the road toward a stop sign where a pickup truck was stopped. they started forward, passed us, and then about a second or two later I heard a sickening crunch. I looked back and the person in the idling car I had just passed apparently pulled out of their spot at the exact moment the pickup was approaching and they slammed headfirst into each other. luckily the truck was still picking up speed from a dead stop because it only happened at about 15-20mph or so. no injuries. I didn't stick around.

considering how straight that road was and how long that pickup was approaching us within our field of view, I can only imagine the driver I walked past never bothered to look up from their phone when they took their foot off the brake and started pulling out. lol

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Almost got murdered by a car today when it just blew a red. Then they got indignant when I threw my hands up at them.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Suplex Liberace posted:

Almost got murdered by a car today when it just blew a red. Then they got indignant when I threw my hands up at them.

again, driver has the right to kill pedestrian. pedestrian does not have the right to make driver feel bad about it

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
My power is currently out because a car hit a pole down the road :piss:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lol there were 443 attempted-murders by drivers this year, up 37%

https://www.berkeleyside.org/2022/02/25/berkeley-traffic-collisions-fatalities-up-2021-police-data

h
holy poo poo piss is right

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
more road rage gun fire in seattle

some moron posted:

For the second time in less than a week, police are investigating a reported case of gunfire on the road. This happened after 7 pm last night. The victim said she was driving northbound on West Marginal Way – somewhere between the 4700 and 6800 blocks – when another driver began swerving and tailgating her. That driver then turned off its headlights, sped up to get closer to the victim’s vehicle, and someone in the car fired what the victim said were eight to nine shots.She drove home and called police. Officers counted “four fresh bullet holes” in her car and noted its rear tire had gone flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'm seeing lots of people straight up blowing through red lights (like everyone is stopped and they just hop into the turn lane and keep going straight) and it's freaking me out.

yeah i was sitting at a stop light and a dude just went into the right turn lane and went straight through, didn't even look while cars went by in the crossroad at 60+ mph on a 4 lane highway