Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Huggybear posted:

Yeah but that's a low loss for aircraft in a peer to peer to environment, even if exaggerated. It suggests that Russia is being extremely air-cautious, which is pretty interesting - very little air engagement. Any modern peer to peer engagement should see a high loss of aircraft because you need to saturate and also accept attrition. Also, the lack of cruise missile usage by Russians is bizarre, unless I am wrong. There is no doubt that NATO satellite coverage is abetting Ukraine. There is some high level fuckery going on with milsat and cyber oversight. I honestly wonder if the Chinese are in that sphere.

I have been saying since Putin started the build up that I wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese are supporting this directly or indirectly to get a sneak preview on the West's tactics and capabilities for their invasion of Taiwan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
That 3500 KIA number is really dumb, for reference that's roughly how many Allied soldiers were killed in the D-Day invasion and this isn't that.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Delthalaz posted:

No idea what he's saying but he's letting everyone know he's still there and still alive

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1497450853380280320

Translation (unverified)

https://twitter.com/olgatokariuk/status/1497455650883919875?t=UBgsNG2Kjn944DnMDbHHBw&s=19

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

SoggyBobcat posted:

Most definitely, but if you cut those numbers in half or even quarter them, that's still incredibly bad for Russia.

Also, Russia doesn't seem to be releasing any numbers to try to counter this (or I've just not been seeing anything on Twitter).

Russia doesn't really use twitter or facebook I think, you'd have to go looking for that elsewhere, also in Russian language domestic news.

Though it still feels like if they had much to show they'd be broadcasting that to the world as well...

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mokotow posted:

Hello friends, I would like to end this day by giving you a summary of what you all achieved.

You absolute legend.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1497454588412284933
https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1497456037070315520

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

cr0y posted:

I acknowledge that we are probably in our own echo chamber, with that being said. If even a quarter of these stories are true about ukrainians and their resolve.....just....speechless.

Some parts of how the resistance is playing out are surprisingly predictable: Ukraine is a very large chunk of land with millions of people whose desire to not be Russian vastly eclipses the degree to which any of the conscripted Russian saps foraging for themselves deep in enemy territory ever wanted Ukraine

If Poland is committed to being a colluding 'safe haven' that Russia can't gently caress around with ye where native ukranians can dart back into their own country with freshly loaded anti-vehicle munitions, then you have at least some plausible scenarios for insurrection that Russia cannot fully contain.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mokotow posted:

Hello friends, I would like to end this day by giving you a summary of what you all achieved.

You did good. Now rest like a champion, because you are one.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Randarkman posted:

Russia doesn't really use twitter or facebook I think, you'd have to go looking for that elsewhere, also in Russian language domestic news.

Though it still feels like if they had much to show they'd be broadcasting that to the world as well...

Thats a major, major major failing on their part if true.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Telsa Cola posted:

In regards to training, maybe? I feel like a lot of equipment like that is fairly idiot proof due to a combination of high stress environments and also having an extremely wide range of people who are going to need to use it. From reports Javs have been doing work so they likely have a body of trained folk they could utilize.

one of the advantages of javelins is that they are stupid easy to use compared to other, equally lethal ATGMs. basically a javelin is two pieces, the computer/sensor bit and the rocket tube. you clip a rocket tube onto the computer bit and peep through it to find the thing you want to delete. press the right buttons (its easy) and the rocket tube shoots out a rocket that murders whatever you were pointing at. then detach that tube and clip on a new one and you're ready to delete another thing

the computer/sensor bit, which is like a laptop you hold in front of your face, there are training models of this bit. basically you just play a video game where you delete simulated tanks. you can give an illiterate goat farmer one of these things and talk him through how to use it and after a couple hours of playing the video game you can hand him a real one and he'll be causing mass casualties. this is a major reason why javelin operators are so stingy with handing them out, they are incredibly easy to use compared to the amount of chaos contained within. you don't want to make them easy to use because you expect your soldiers to be bone stupid, you make them easy to use so that soldiers who have been awake for three days and are powered only by adrenaline, nicotine, and caffeine can still rack up a 90%+ kill rate

a 40 year old ukrainian reservist who vaguely knows how to use a javelin, instructing some scared 20 year old newbie on how to use it, vs a brand new russian tank? smart money is still on the javelin guys. the javelin was designed in the 1980s so that freaking out american soldiers facing waves of soviet tanks could just pop rocket after rocket into the tanks with a pretty good chance of getting a kill each time. smartly positioned, in an ambush, modern fourth gen ATGMs are wildly dangerous to tanks, and the javelin is basically the cruise control ez mode of fourth generation ATGMs

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Djarum posted:

I have been saying since Putin started the build up that I wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese are supporting this directly or indirectly to get a sneak preview on the West's tactics and capabilities for their invasion of Taiwan.

More like a measure of the western response which seems to be getting more robust. The West is pretty mindful that the Chinese are watching.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'm sure the Chinese are glad to see this, but on the other hand their problem will be somewhat different from that of Russia here.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like all this could be pre-recorded, even so the propaganda value is huge and he looks like a stud and it has to be demoralizing if you are a Russian watching this.

Him just goofing around in the capital drinking coffee while Putin screams to his own people that everything is going swimmingly and they are crushing the enemy is some master class poo poo.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Serious question, if things are going so bad for Russia, why do they have troops marching on Kiev streets?

Or did I not understand what was going on in that twitter video a few pages back?

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Sir John Falstaff posted:

I think that's one of the things that makes this fight harder for Russia if a quick, decapitation-strike-style approach doesn't work--it's harder to just pancake cities in Ukraine like Russia did in Syria or Chechnya. These are people who are culturally and ethnically similar to Russians and therefore a lot more sympathetic to people in Russia. Not saying it won't happen, just harder to do.

In Syria and Chechnya, it was easier to dehumanize the enemies since you could paint them as jihadists and terrorists. Civilians could be be called jihadists, and war crimes could be blamed on jihadist groups. There's really no dynamic like that at play in Ukraine. Russia has tried hard to paint Ukrainians as Nazi's, but outside of Russia itself (where you can't trust polls anyways) it doesn't seem to have sold. Nobody in Ukraine is going to be going around massacring civilians except for Russia, and everything that happens there is going to be Russia's to wear. If it gets to the point that they're leveling whole residential buildings and dropping bombs on breadlines like they did in Syria on a bunch of white non-Muslims, it's not going to play well around the world.

This dynamic also makes it significantly easier for western nations to sell the idea of sending weapons into Poland and Ukraine en masse.

acidx fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 26, 2022

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Randarkman posted:

To some extent, I suspect the Russian military doesn't want to acknowledge casualties at all, on either side.

acidx posted:

In Syria and Chechnya, it was easier to dehumanize the enemies since you could paint them as jihadists and terrorists. Civilians could be be called jihadists, and war crimes could be blamed on jihadist groups. There's really no dynamic like that at play in Ukraine. Russia has tried hard to paint Ukrainians as Nazi's, but outside of Russia itself (where you can't trust polls anyways) it doesn't seem to have sold. Nobody in Ukraine is going to be going around massacring civilians except for Russia, and everything that happens there is going to be Russia's to wear. If it gets to the point that they're leveling whole residential buildings and dropping bombs on breadlines like they did in Syria on a bunch of white non-Muslims, it's not going to play well around the world.

This dynamic also makes it significantly easier for western nations to sell the idea of sending weapons into Poland and Ukraine en masse.

Yup, all of this. Ukrainians are primarily white Orthodox Christians, just like Russians.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 26, 2022

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So what is Belarus's role, if any, in this?

the popes toes posted:

More like a measure of the western response which seems to be getting more robust. The West is pretty mindful that the Chinese are watching.

I might be wrong, but I would guess the US response to an attack on Taiwan would be much more... active.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Small White Dragon posted:

They have been supplying troops and staging areas to Russia. They are for all purposes full in on this with Russia.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I wonder what it's like to look at your country's leader and feel, well, anything other than vague contempt.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

SourKraut posted:

Probably, but you also love Russia a little too much it seems.

I'm trying to caution people from being swept up in the romanticism of the idea of a heroic war.

war is not heroic, it is a machine that churns out corpses. snake island was a senseless tragedy that claimed 13 lives. when I see tweets talking about arming civilians with rifles or teaching them to make Molotovs, all I can envision is them getting slaughtered by trained professionals, to say nothing of injuring themselves due to lack of training.

in my mind, efforts to gussy up how brave dead soldiers were is just a means to trick others into feeding themselves to the war machine

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Thank you for this. We should continue scheming to help individual folks if EE goons can fix.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

How does US and Polish support help Ukraine now? Like how do you even distribute and move all those NLAWS and Javelin missiles to the front without getting your supply lines bombed to poo poo.

The Russians surely know about the Lviv corridor and plan to interdict it somehow?

Then there’s the other question, how do any of these new enlisted troops in Ukraine stand a chance if there’s zero time to train them?

I’m just trying to understand if any of this material support can actually help. Like don’t you need a lot of training to fire a javelin or a stinger missile?

As of yet, the Russians haven't been hitting the western transport lines, probably scared of AA and not to mention, how the gently caress would you even know which vehicles to shoot at?

The new militia units are probably going to take horrendous casualties, but on the defensive they can often do some good work.

Javs and Stingers will most likely go to regulars with previous experience, and if not, for the stinger at least it's a case of "turn on sensor, point at target, wait for tone, and fire missile". It won't be as effective due to not knowing engagement profiles and the like, but even if it causes the attacker to abort the attack, it's done the job.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

I'm trying to caution people from being swept up in the romanticism of the idea of a heroic war.

war is not heroic, it is a machine that churns out corpses. snake island was a senseless tragedy that claimed 13 lives. when I see tweets talking about arming civilians with rifles or teaching them to make Molotovs, all I can envision is them getting slaughtered by trained professionals, to say nothing of injuring themselves due to lack of training.

in my mind, efforts to gussy up how brave dead soldiers were is just a means to trick others into feeding themselves to the war machine

This ties directly into the whole "Not thinking anything is worth dying for" thing, you realize that right?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

the popes toes posted:

It is why I am pretty sure the No Fly Zone has been such a no go. NATO doesn't want their hardware out where the Chinese can peep on it openly.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Kyiv morning aftermath

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1497458055591702536?t=cvnVXVwObZFTiV6thRL6JA&s=19

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Serious question, if things are going so bad for Russia, why do they have troops marching on Kiev streets?

Or did I not understand what was going on in that twitter video a few pages back?

Kiev is only about 100 km from the border with Belarus, with the Russian superiority in aircraft and other material, it's not much of a surprise they have already reached Kiev.

It's not that it's going completely pear-shaped, it's important to remember this: it's only been 48 hours and it's really to early to say much of anything with clarity other than obvious facts.

Also I'll quote something I said earlier, not that it's really an original realization, but I think it's valid.

Randarkman posted:

It's not unlikely that the Ukrainians are actually outnumbering the Russians in Kyiv IMO, at least in terms of guys with rifles and AT launchers and such. So far the Russians haven't really manage to make decisive use of their airpower it seems like, except in allowing them to advance rapidly when Ukrainian forces haven't stood and fought, so that potential numerical disadvantage might make it very difficult for them to take Kyiv if they can't pull of these decapitation strikes they seem to be attempting.

Randarkman posted:

I'm beginning to honestly just think that the Russian invasion force for this (something south of 200k troops) just is too small for the task, unless they can actually manage a decapitation strike against Kyiv, and even then that might not magically give them control over the rest of the country.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That 3500 KIA number is really dumb, for reference that's roughly how many Allied soldiers were killed in the D-Day invasion and this isn't that.

for what it's worth I trust the equipment figures more than the manpower losses and even divided by like half or more it's still significant. the last few days have been a slide show of new destroyed russian equipment almost nonstop. i've seen destroyed grad trucks on like three occasions in different places from different videos.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

punk rebel ecks posted:

With the molotovs raining on the tank? That was from 2014. They are very close to Kiev though. Once they get into Kiev proper is when progress will slow dramatically though.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I might be wrong, but I would guess the US response to an attack on Taiwan would be much more... active.

A lot of what the west is doing financially will be used as a template.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

acidx posted:

With the molotovs raining on the tank? That was from 2014. They are very close to Kiev though. Once they get into Kiev proper is when progress will slow dramatically though.

well just consider that sort of thing will probably happen as the russians try to enter high rise areas. thats enough fire to blind and panic a whole crew inside a Tigr (their Russian MRAPs) almost certainly.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

punk rebel ecks posted:

Depending on what video you're referring to, it might have been misattributed footage of something else. But even if it's not, when people say things are bad for Russia, they mean bad relative to what one might have expected from the Russian war machine, not bad in absolute terms. Nobody expects Ukraine to "win" this - the question is how much Ukraine can make Russia bleed for its victory. So far, it appears to be more blood than most were expecting.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Although financial war can very well be like the new MAD but better for flowers and living things.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

What is your alternative—capitulation and subjugation? Rather than telling Ukrainians to stop defending themselves, perhaps focus on getting Putin to turn off the war machine?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Randarkman posted:

Russia reports no losses. At all.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

They are nothing more than a province of Russia at this point.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

raminasi posted:

Depending on what video you're referring to, it might have been misattributed footage of something else. But even if it's not, when people say things are bad for Russia, they mean bad relative to what one might have expected from the Russian war machine, not bad in absolute terms. Nobody expects Ukraine to "win" this - the question is how much Ukraine can make Russia bleed for its victory. So far, it appears to be more blood than most were expecting.

They might take Kyiv, but right now... I'm not sure they can actually conquer the country with what they have, unless the Ukrainian military either collapses (I'm not sure how important Kyiv is in terms of military logistics and all that) and/or Ukraine straight up surrenders following that.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Any thoughts on the dead Russian soldiers? Should other Russian soldiers maybe start avoiding the situations where they might die for nothing?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

This ties directly into the whole "Not thinking anything is worth dying for" thing, you realize that right?

I was not a part of that conversation, but war has a proven track record of preying on people's ideals to get them to sacrifice themselves for little gain. of course things are worth dying for, but the history of war is a history of an insatiable beast that will say anything to conceal the fact that it it chews up ideals and leaves behind traumatized individuals and graves. To my mind, anything extolling the heroism of sacrifice is a lure placed by this beast.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

What is your alternative—capitulation and subjugation? Rather than telling Ukrainians to stop defending themselves, perhaps focus on getting Putin to turn off the war machine?

While I'm generally not with his point of view, he isn't really telling the Ukrainians to do anything, we're just dorks talking and arguing on a dead forum. We are not having an effect on the morale or decision-making of anyone in this war.

Except for this guy.

Mokotow posted:

*Awesome poo poo, get yourself some sleep*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Belarus is pretty much just a Russian client state, they don't have autonomous agency in foreign affairs. Due to their geographical location they've been the staging ground for one part of the assault.

Djarum posted:

It is why I am pretty sure the No Fly Zone has been such a no go. NATO doesn't want their hardware out where the Chinese can peep on it openly.

The No Fly Zone is a nogo because a no-fly zone means shooting down russian aircraft, which would be a declaration of war. Personally I think that would be the best response regardless, but there's no doubt that at that point anything could happen. NATO hardware is on fully display quite often and openly, if you come to Norway this winter you can watch F-35s fly formation during operation Cold Response and watch the russian spy planes and boats track the exercise dilligently.

Dante fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 26, 2022