Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MShadowy posted:

Eventually I stopped being mad at this guy, just because of how ridiculous getting repeatedly clobbered by a self yeeting firey tree dragon became; that being said giant enemies in tiny rooms that hurl themselves all over the place are a pain to keep track of. One of the big issues with Ulcer Boy is that because he moves around so much there arise instances where the timing to successfully dodge an attack can change significantly, which was especially troublesome with the grab move he has. Eventually I figured that out, and finally beat it a little while ago. Didn't bother counting how many attempts it took me, but it was a lot.

Yeah my issues with the boss came down entirely to not being able to see or tell what attacks were coming when half the time. So I'd dodge when he was just worming away, and I'd be out of stamina when he'd actually attack. Or I'd dodge thinking it was a tail swing when it was a face plant. My friend put it best by saying it was a boss that wouldn't even be a blip on the radar if it was either like, 25% smaller or the room was 25% bigger.

Anyway, anyone know how the dual wielding works in this game, if at all? I still haven't found another great, or colossal, sword of any kind so I can't test it out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Artelier posted:

okay seriously gently caress magrit and their sudden boss arena locking me out of my runes or just slamming my head against the wall until i win

also this whole die -> load -> walk back -> walk through fog routine is sooooo slow and aggravating

Well, you know what they say.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Siofra River is absurdly cool, drat. Might be my new favorite Souls zone.

It's like Blackreach from Skyrim except with ancient mesopotamian ruins spread throughout and guarded by ghost vikings

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 26, 2022

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Artelier posted:

okay seriously gently caress magrit and their sudden boss arena locking me out of my runes or just slamming my head against the wall until i win

also this whole die -> load -> walk back -> walk through fog routine is sooooo slow and aggravating

we need a new :darksouls:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Lol found a place to cheese exp down in south calid

antisocial86
Dec 8, 2003
yes sirs

Eason the Fifth posted:

Lol found a place to cheese exp down in south calid

Gimme plz.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Such an important co-op item.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hogama posted:

Such an important co-op item.

I was so happy when I saw that. The voice line is different though, not as good imo

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Finally got strong enough to kill Tree Sentinel, feels good

also this game is addicting. Multiple times I've been like "okay thats enough for today" and put the controller down and then ten minutes later my brain's like "...hey, wanna play more elden ring??" and i have no choice but to boot it up again. Stormveil castle kinda feels like Dark Souls 4 more than anything, and it's a little bit aggravating. But then I go out into the wilderness, flambe an entire group of enemies with dragonbreath from horseback, chug my juice, and kill off the stragglers with my fuckhuge sword, instantly refilling my juice, and I breathe a sign of contentment

also also I found Patches and this game is incredible

FishMcCool posted:

I had to lol at Irina sending you to castle Morne.
oh what the gently caress i didn't even realize that until you pointed it out

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

You also can't spam it quickly like you used to, at least that I'vee found. Maybe roll canceling the animation would work but it wouldn't be quite the same.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

just beat margit in a 20+ minute battle where i refused to attack unless he used big recovery moves. that was very slow and unfun but at least i retrieved my runes!!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

I'm not at the computer right now so I can't give you names, but way down in the south east of caelid, just before crossing the bridge into the castle, there's a spot where the big dogs and foot soldiers fight each other and a grace spot right by. When they die the player gets exp. It's about 300 a pop when each dog dies and there's 4 dogs so you get around 1200 exp plus about another 100 for each dead footsoldier, ends up being about 2000 per cycle. Just stay stealthed. When it's over rest at the grace, repeat.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Spergatory posted:

Yeah, some of the online stuff seems to be busted at the moment. Bloodstains, for example, are straight up non functional in my game. You can see they exist, but I haven't been able to view any of them except, strangely enough, this one dude who rode his horse off a cliff trying to kill a crystal lizard (or whatever this game's equivalent is). :v:
For whatever reason, bloodstains dont work... but multiplayer password bloodstains do! Put in LLJK and you can watch everyone else in this thread get ganked by crabs and whatnot

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
i've been getting disconnected pretty frequently during co-op

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
i'm excited to try invading in stormveil castle, hoping the PVP feels a bit better than DS3

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Artelier posted:

just beat margit in a 20+ minute battle where i refused to attack unless he used big recovery moves. that was very slow and unfun but at least i retrieved my runes!!

Bet that felt like an eternity.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Oh wow, the game seems to occasionally dip into DeS and DSII style damage resistances for enemies. Just ran into an area where I was very happy I had a hammer I could twohand because my sword was doing fuckall.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hakarne posted:

That first real boss Margit seems poorly tuned, especially for where he is in the game. There are no actual, truly safe times to attack him in melee! I spent two hours getting his pattern down and it's like 50% luck if you can get in an attack - sometimes you can and other's he's like "lol nah gently caress you and die here's a non-stop attack combo that I might chain into another combo... but maybe I'll just hop away idk." And even those sometimes you can dodge away other times the attacks are too quick together you literally can't evade fast enough with the light roll i-frames too. And even waiting for those attacks that might be ok to attack him is boring as poo poo because sometimes he'll just stare at you for 2 minutes not doing a loving thing.

Do the other main boss fights get better because this one isn't impressing me. I enjoyed killing overworld dudes and the mini-bosses I've found in caves and stuff but it's just... not enjoyable to "learn" this guy. I thought the loop was to learn the pattern through multiple deaths, identify a weakness, then exploit it. There's no actual weakness to exploit with that fucker unless I load up 500 arrows or something and just plink him.

I'm pretty sure that "where he is in the game" is waaaaaaaaay further than most people think - there's easily 20+ hours of open world exploration full of easier or on-par content that you can do before ever stepping foot in the castle

e: I mean, I think of the castle like the castle in Breath of the Wild - sure I can go there right away and end the game, I'm pretty close to it, but... it's "intended" to be done after everything else

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
There's still no way to fix the framerate drops on PC, right?

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
i'm wondering how much the story is going to be basically the exact same as DS1 but with marika instead of gwyn and rings instead of souls. And the tarnished are being exploited in some way

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

NotNut posted:

There's still no way to fix the framerate drops on PC, right?

They went away for me when I switched from 4k to 1080p, I also have the steam overlay disabled and I am on ~6 month old drivers (apparently the newest nvidia drivers have some issues with this game)

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Artelier posted:

this is the only way i know to fight him in the second phase?

I never really felt safe attacking him unless he was doing the hammer drop or the one where he holds his stick above his hand for ages and then either does a very slow slam if you're close or the running slash followed by a spin

I never really felt safe going toe to toe with him because his combos are so variable. Also the hammer and stick double swing fucks me up unless i just get out of range.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Artelier posted:

This poo poo happened to me, but I found a way to get my runes out:

1) Get your runes back.
2) Die near the entrance, right by it.
3) Do this very quickly: upon respawning, enter the fight ASAP, grab your runes, then jump off the cliff quick.

If you do it right, your runes will be *inside* the tunnel, outside of the arena.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I beat Margit on my 2nd try. The secret? Use the jellyfish to poison his rear end.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

dodgeblan posted:

i'm wondering how much the story is going to be basically the exact same as DS1 but with marika instead of gwyn and rings instead of souls. And the tarnished are being exploited in some way

So far it seems to me like the story is essentially that all these fragments of landmasses we're running around on are a compilation of every other Soulsekiroborne game, there are entire sections/dungeons/enemies lifted out of other games, I've found Bloodborne areas, DS2 areas, Sekiro areas, and DeS areas - all with game-appropriate enemies, items, etc (not like straight copy-pasted, but very clearly inspired by). My personal theory so far is that there's going to be some meta-story about how all these players/lords in this endless cycle of breaking the world's cycle over and over again have mixed everything up. So this is purely a guess but I think you're right about what you're seeing, but not necessarily the scope. Maybe. I could be wrong :shrug:

SubponticatePoster posted:

I beat Margit on my 2nd try. The secret? Use the jellyfish to poison his rear end.

Easily-crafted poison knives are even better! You throw them super fast and it only takes like 5 to poison him - and you make 5 per craft. No need to wait for the jellyfish to get poison off :D

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 26, 2022

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

at The Grafted now, FINALLY got Magrit down. Feels alot more fair than Magrit so far, that fight really frustrated me.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

SubponticatePoster posted:

This is how I've defeated every difficult boss so far.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
gently caress that crystal poison swamp trap thing, and that NPC that despawns your horse and kills you in two hits. bah.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

deep dish peat moss posted:

Easily-crafted poison knives are even better! You throw them super fast and it only takes like 5 to poison him - and you make 5 per craft. No need to wait for the jellyfish to get poison off :D
Jello does have the added bonus of distraction, though.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Aw server maintenance soon?

But my one message was blowing up!

jesus christ the two fingers are real and they are no joke :stare:

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

dodgeblan posted:

I mean, this game is visually and environmentally cool as hell, but everything to do with the "story" and lore so far sounds like a ctrl+f of Dark Souls wiki entries and replaced with slightly dumber sounding ones. Feels like a lot more front-loaded with Proper Noun Town bullshit than previous games but maybe that's a decade of Souls terminology becoming basically normal.

One detail I do like is that you see more of the state of the world than you normally do in a DS; the presence of mostly-ordinary animals ascribes to how the disaster befalling the world is human-centric.

But I've just started. Maybe GRRM will save it :v:.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

just popping in to say I upgraded the early greatsword to +3 and decided to push into the castle and i beat margit in two attempts at level 22. poise breaking is no joke in this game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Finally downed Margit, what a relief. Then I met the bird with blades on his feet! :vince:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Logan 5 posted:

Aw server maintenance soon?

But my one message was blowing up!

jesus christ the two fingers are real and they are no joke :stare:

"Oh hey that door is open... what the gently caress??? Oh, of course it would be that. Of loving course."

And yeah, server maintenance soon I guess. Maybe a patch?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
wait so even people offline can't play?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

Finally downed Margit, what a relief. Then I met the bird with blades on his feet! :vince:

lmao they rule

Using a Morningstar now, def like it. Blunt damage seems pretty reliable. Range isnt the best but lots of poise damage.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Margrit went down easy, but man, gently caress stormveil castle, and the over an hour of bashing my head against Godrick to get through there. I'm ready to ride the horse again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Also ran into the swole hammer dude in one of the underground burial caverns, it's loving hilarious watching him discard his robe and show off his muscles before he tries to turn you into strawberry jam.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Artelier posted:

First rule of From Software RPGs: Never get attached to your experience points. This will not be the last rune bounty you'll lose. Just don't let it bother you. There are plenty more runes to be had if you just go out and explore a bit more..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Margits now sucking cocks in hell.

I had much better luck using the NPC character, and my pack of wolves summon than help from real players, which I think most don't know what they're doing.

For me the trick was to attack him as much as possible when hes attacking the other targets. Also some attempts they will do better than other tries.

When u get hit the natural instinct is to roll dodge fast and get as far away as fast as you can, but you should only dodge when he strikes, then run when his attack is done.

Also gotta be patient since a lot of his strikes he does slow.