Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

the popes toes posted:

More like a measure of the western response which seems to be getting more robust. The West is pretty mindful that the Chinese are watching.
Eh...no matter how Russia fucks things up, they will almost certainly win this war in the end.

Invading Taiwan is orders of magnitude more difficult. They could defeat an American surface fleet, but if a few US subs sneak through and put the invasion force on the bottom of the sea, that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Judakel posted:

Wild how much propaganda the Ukrainians are putting out and how silent the Russians have been.

Oh, they are not silent. Yesterday, they had to cancel usual late night TV programming to fit in more propaganda.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

raverrn posted:

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1497474945286352896

Russian army may be showing signs of fatigue even after a few days. Ukrainian resistance is anything but futile.

Ooh, dibs! Dibs!!! I want one.

Liquid Communism posted:

Yep. The question isn't if Ukraine can defeat the Russians. It's if they can hold out long enough that the oligarchs arrange for Putin to be deposed as he's violated rule one and hosed with their money.

Yeah, there's a hypothesis in foreign policy circles right now that he was hoping this campaign would be part of his swan song before leaving office. I don't know if I 100% believe it, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were true. If it were, it would probably be easier to sideline him.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Eiba posted:

Yeah, so this is one of the things that I've been thinking about. A bloody war and long insurgency is certainly bad for Russia, and atrocities and humanitarian crises are going to make Ukraine more and more sympathetic in the worlds' eyes... but those are all really loving bad things. In order to get to the "better for Ukraine" stuff, you need a shitton more human suffering. And if the "good" thing you reach is a Georgia situation, or some sort of Finlandization, where Ukraine retains independence so long as they never oppose Russia again, is that so much better than a puppet government that it's worth all the suffering and humanitarian crises?

Obviously not my call, but I can see things getting a hell of a lot worse for people as this drags on, and I can't see the potential peace deal getting better at the same rate.

Ukrainians seem to believe that the sacrifices are worth it. Living under 200 km from the Russian border myself, I really can't say I disagree. Things look very different when you can see the bear close up-front.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Came back from sleep and a protest against the war. I hope nothing of value is in the last 1500 posts cause it seems like it's the same dumbasses handwringing about how from a neorealist realpolitiks perspective Ukraine needs to surrender

Rust Martialis posted:

Someone mentioned Putin has a puffy face... any chance he's on steroids for something? I know it makes you swell up.

Also a tendency to make you feel GREAT and all that.

Source: none

Botox because he's afraid of aging

Edit: I don't know if there's anythibg else involved. Kadyrov and Zakharova have been speculated to be on cocaine in a few showings

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Eiba posted:

Yeah, so this is one of the things that I've been thinking about. A bloody war and long insurgency is certainly bad for Russia, and atrocities and humanitarian crises are going to make Ukraine more and more sympathetic in the worlds' eyes... but those are all really loving bad things. In order to get to the "better for Ukraine" stuff, you need a shitton more human suffering. And if the "good" thing you reach is a Georgia situation, or some sort of Finlandization, where Ukraine retains independence so long as they never oppose Russia again, is that so much better than a puppet government that it's worth all the suffering and humanitarian crises?

Obviously not my call, but I can see things getting a hell of a lot worse for people as this drags on, and I can't see the potential peace deal getting better at the same rate.

The rest of the smaller nations of Eastern Europe are in NATO. The way I see it you're either in NATO or you're hosed. Russia's a nuclear power, willing to commit to conventional military conquests. The world has proven that it will not protect international norms when it's a nuclear power breaking them, so if you're not a nuclear power, your only option is to be under the protection of a nuclear power or submit to a nuclear power.

That's not good. I'm not advocating for that. But is there something factually wrong with that assessment?

Are you telling me that Europe is in fact going to be able to provide Ukraine with enough equipment to overcome their manpower difference? I assumed with all the mocking talk of German helmets and Zelensky making quips about needing ammo not a ride that the support was insufficient.

If the answer to "can the Ukrainians straight up win" is actually "yes," then nothing else I'm saying makes sense. Is that what you're saying, the Ukrainians can straight up defeat the Russians?

I'm not trying to assert doom and gloom with any kind of agenda. I've got a bunch of assumptions and a doom and gloom conclusion. If my assumptions are wrong I'd be a lot happier, so I'm trying to be clear about what I'm saying.

I don't say this to give false hope or anything, but Ukraine certainly can win. Weak countries routinely win defensive wars against stronger opponents, it absolutely does happen and there are multiple examples from just the last 50 years. One of the big mistakes that gets made is assuming that victory is assured. Costly mistakes add up very quickly and defenders typically have the advantage that they're literally fighting for their lives and their homeland so there's a huge discrepancy in resolve, particular if momentum stalls out.

imo Ukraines odds of winning are extremely low and generally their best case even vaguely likely outcome is holding out long enough that public pressure continues to mount against Russia to end the war and/or Russia's ability to resupply collapses. Still, the odds are very stacked against them (albeit on a pure numbers level, probably look better than they did a week ago).

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Somaen posted:

There's also word going on that his face looks like he's on bentzos. Wouldn't be surprised that he's finally decided to move to the "delusional and drugged up in a bunker" phase of his career.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

raverrn posted:

Russian army may be showing signs of fatigue even after a few days. Ukrainian resistance is anything but futile.

The mug is from Maria Mukabetova's election campaign. She used to represent Kalmykia in Duma.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

raverrn posted:

Their supply lines are getting stretched and wrecked by rear echelon attacks, so they're running out of fuel.

But the ditched ballistic vest and the fact it wasn't scuttled (which an armor commander should do if the rules of engagement are still applying) makes me think desertion.

Majorian posted:

Ooh, dibs! Dibs!!! I want one.

BMP! Only dropped once!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1497488069771120643
another airborne assault underway

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Superpowers can never lose when fighting a war against shithole countries like Vietnam and Afghanistan. It is known.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rust Martialis posted:

Someone mentioned Putin has a puffy face... any chance he's on steroids for something? I know it makes you swell up.

He's gotten old and fat, just like all of us. Why would you assume he's taking steroids at all.

headspace
Apr 25, 2014
Hey guys, long term lurker here. I am trying not to make light of the situation... I was expecting the Russian Army to be like Kislev, but It turns out that in reality they more closely resemble Skaven. Sketchy leadership, low morale, and hiding in the sewers with lasers? What the hell.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The Vietnamese/Afghanese/Finns/French Resistance/The American Colonies should've just quit fighting the superior force, can't they see the sacrifices aren't worth it, they should have just bent the knee to the invader and shuffled themselves into the dustbin of history

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
NATO is showing off. During most of the night, there was a RC-135W Rivet Joint patrolling the Ukraine border from Romania, and right now there is another RC-135W from the UK patrolling from Poland, and there is an F-16 refueling over Romania. The first 36 hours only tankers had their transponders on.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Fame Douglas posted:

He's gotten old and fat, just like all of us. Why would you assume he's taking steroids at all.

Rust Martialis on that frog-tech

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

My man Vova's just entering his Fat Elvis phase, don't judge.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Rust Martialis posted:

More like tons of Botox injections

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I'm not a fan of wishing ill will on any human, but... I wonder about the chances Putin suffers an "accident."

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He's made it this far, and horrible dictators seem to last a long time even under clearly deteriorating conditions.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

More broken-down, out-of-fuel Russian armor...https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1497485623225200640?s=20&t=Al6_D2wsVJK4SkjZlAF-Fw

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Is the translation beneath accurate? Because if so, lmao.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Josef bugman posted:

Maybe I read too many of the war poets stuff as a kid, but I can't think of war and people dying as heroic. It always seems tragic and unfair in the most visceral way. I understand the reasons for those things and can support the reasoning for it, but this seems like the sort of thing to be acknowledged and treated as serious, neccesary and still deeply upsetting.

I do appreciate your response and hope that I've not been rude. Thank you!

Yeah, I think I get what you're saying. IMO we should absolutely root for the Ukrainians, who are in the right, treat Ukrainian successes as good news and Russian successes as bad news, but refrain from the kind of fist-pump hell-yeah cheerleading that makes out war to be somehow glorious. It's not about staying neutral, not taking sides, or judging the morality of defending yourself. It's about not getting swept up in militaristic fervor.

People who are actually fighting, and civilians who are trying to maintain their resolve, need that fervor to keep morale up. You can't fault them for it. But if you're far away and safe then you have the benefit of distance and going all keyboard warrior "rah-rah gently caress 'em up kill those Russian scum" doesn't make you a better person.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
The british govt don't think the Russians have actually taken Melitopol.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

...This is starting to beg the question based on the looting we have seen and abandoned Russian vehicles elsewhere, what exactly IS the Russian supply line situation logistically?

If your troops are looting for food and warm clothes it tells me things are way rougher than they even appear. I imagine the sanctions will only continue to make conditions deteriorate.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Eiba posted:

A bloody war and long insurgency is certainly bad for Russia, and atrocities and humanitarian crises are going to make Ukraine more and more sympathetic in the worlds' eyes... but those are all really loving bad things. In order to get to the "better for Ukraine" stuff, you need a shitton more human suffering. And if the "good" thing you reach is a Georgia situation, or some sort of Finlandization, where Ukraine retains independence so long as they never oppose Russia again, is that so much better than a puppet government that it's worth all the suffering and humanitarian crises?

Brutally imposed puppet regimes are themselves humanitarian crises and come packaged with years or decades of cruelty and "disappeared" people suffering under popular exploitation that would make the finest neoliberal blush. A puppet government represents a veil under which the suffering is drawn out over long periods. So, yes, resisting an insatiable foreign power is better. Holding out at great cost is better. The best option is for Russia not to invade sovereign countries, but when they make the choice to invade, you have to pick resistance.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Hitchhikers guide to invading Ukraine

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Somaen posted:

Came back from sleep and a protest against the war. I hope nothing of value is in the last 1500 posts cause it seems like it's the same dumbasses handwringing about how from a neorealist realpolitiks perspective Ukraine needs to surrender

Edit: I don't know if there's anythibg else involved. Kadyrov and Zakharova have been speculated to be on cocaine in a few showings

Nah I don't think anyone's saying that. Mostly we're impressed with Ukraine's resolve, and mystified by Putin's motives. From a realpolitik perspective, it's still unlikely that Ukraine can hold out forever, but the path to a Russian occupation of Ukraine is looking to be very bloody, and there are all the makings of a long and bloody resistance to that occupation afterwards.

I do think protests are part of the path towards stopping the war. If Russians genuinely come out in huge masses, like 1990 numbers, that becomes impossible to ignore or suppress.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Guildencrantz posted:

Yeah, I think I get what you're saying. IMO we should absolutely root for the Ukrainians, who are in the right, treat Ukrainian successes as good news and Russian successes as bad news, but refrain from the kind of fist-pump hell-yeah cheerleading that makes out war to be somehow glorious. It's not about staying neutral, not taking sides, or judging the morality of defending yourself. It's about not getting swept up in militaristic fervor.

People who are actually fighting, and civilians who are trying to maintain their resolve, need that fervor to keep morale up. You can't fault them for it. But if you're far away and safe then you have the benefit of distance and going all keyboard warrior "rah-rah gently caress 'em up kill those Russian scum" doesn't make you a better person.

Thank you. This is far more eloquent than me saying it, but what I wanted to communicate.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

TulliusCicero posted:

...This is starting to beg the question based on the looting we have seen and abandoned Russian vehicles elsewhere, what exactly IS the Russian supply line situation logistically?

If your troops are looting for food and warm clothes it tells me things are way rougher than they even appear. I imagine the sanctions will only continue to make conditions deteriorate.

I think they assumed it would have all finished already and they would be able to fly supplies in. They've definitely run out of momentum and are just flailing now.

E: if they ramp up sanctions I wonder how putin is going to pay all these soldiers.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

JosefStalinator posted:

Is the translation beneath accurate? Because if so, lmao.
Yes it is ahahaha

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

They were having issues for months with the encampments in Belarus: scrounging to the point they depopulated the wildlife; soldiers sleeping in barns in large groups; the local Belarusians were apparently charging the Russian soldiers for food, with contract soldiers having to pay for themselves and the conscripts, who don't get paid by the Russian Ministry Of Defense.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Deleted?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

There was talk about russian soldiers were selling military gear over the last few months just to survive in russia.
I have been thinking one of the reasons Putin is doing this poo poo as they know they are slowly getting worse internally like the old USSR.
And its to get the army actually doing something to stop them siphoning the tank gas to sell on the black market to stay alive.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Anyway to sabotage them so they can't run again?

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Trump posted:

NATO is showing off. During most of the night, there was a RC-135W Rivet Joint patrolling the Ukraine border from Romania, and right now there is another RC-135W from the UK patrolling from Poland, and there is an F-16 refueling over Romania. The first 36 hours only tankers had their transponders on.
and FORTE11 openly circling around the Russian side of the Black Sea, right off the coast of Sochi, for hours on end.

Still waiting to see if either of the C-17s that crossed the Atlantic last night go any farther east than Germany.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

happyhippy posted:

There was talk about russian soldiers were selling military gear over the last few months just to survive in russia.
I have been thinking one of the reasons Putin is doing this poo poo as they know they are slowly getting worse internally like the old USSR.
And its to get the army actually doing something to stop them siphoning the tank gas to sell on the black market to stay alive.

Guy not realizing that the whole reason the USSR went to poo poo was because their leadership got loving old and out of touch.

It's an universal problem, to be honest.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Anyway to sabotage them so they can't run again?

Paint on the optics. Breaking them with a hammer if you have the time.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Mustard Iceman posted:

and FORTE11 openly circling around the Russian side of the Black Sea, right off the coast of Sochi, for hours on end.

Still waiting to see if either of the C-17s that crossed the Atlantic last night go any farther east than Germany.

Yea, forgot about the UAV. FORTE11 has been visible since the invasion started. Just enjoying the black sea...

Edit: Now there's a Blach Hawk just smack next to the Ukraine border.

Trump fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

reposted with more info?

https://twitter.com/olliecarroll/status/1497496247501918213