Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Logan 5 posted:

(through FedEx again though, god help me)

FedEx is the worst.

I've watched packages get bounced back and forth between the same two hubs for a week. The poo poo of it is, they had to drive past my apartment each time. Not to mention other packages would "arrive" at the local hub and not go out for delivery for several days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

FedEx is the worst.

I've watched packages get bounced back and forth between the same two hubs for a week. The poo poo of it is, they had to drive past my apartment each time. Not to mention other packages would "arrive" at the local hub and not go out for delivery for several days.

Oh god, I refuse to use FedEx if I have literally any other option. I ordered a package that was sent through them once, and that package never arrived. So I called them and they said it showed as delivered on their end so it was my problem. I contacted the vendor and they sent me a replacement which also never showed up. I was debating if I wanted to call the vendor AGAIN (I was afraid they'd think I was scamming) but thankfully my apartment maintenance man found the second package in front of an empty building and brought it to me. I called FedEx to let them know it was delivered to the wrong address and they basically said "well you have it now so who cares?" About a week after that I had a different package shipped through FedEx, which was not delivered again, but I did find that one just sitting in the middle of a random nearby parking lot.

Also I found out that the first package that never showed up was delivered to a house about two miles away from my place. I just told that guy to go ahead and keep it because I already had the replacement at that point.

What a poo poo show.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

pretty happy with the new pixel 6 and the earbuds it came with, but i think it is hot bullshit that the a-series case does not have wireless charging. the advertising was very careful to show it coincidentally resting on the phone but without ever actually stating that the feature wasn't there. it's a minor detail but i'm annoyed that i was basically duped by how google presented the way the two would work together.

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008
I was looking into the pixel pass, and the "upgrades" after two years seems like a misnomer. It looks like it's just as the regular financing, where you own it fully at the end of the term, and the different prices based on phone seem to imply that the price for the pass may change with the phone upgrade.

Is there any confirmation that there is an advantage of buying the phone with the pass, or does the pass just end up as a discount on YouTube premium?

The same question applies to the 5a on the subscription plan, is there actually any price benefit for the upgrade at the end of the term, or have you just paid off the phone and will be financing the new one at whatever it's price is?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

There is no data service at the Grand Canyon. Verizon and AT&T have full everything.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

There is no data service at the Grand Canyon. Verizon and AT&T have full everything.

This is my experience most places

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

If I have multiple lines on Google Fi can I "pause" the owner line and have the rest still function?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

https://fi.google.com/gift2021

quote:

Google Fi is celebrating their Google Fi Holiday and offering All Google Fi Users w/ An Active Service (as of December 15, 2021) a $10 Google Play Credit for Free when you login to claim the offer.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Nice, thanks for sharing. My wife and I were both able to redeem this so if you're on a family plan, make sure to forward the link.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Are we going to get this signal aggregation as well since Fi used T-Mobile's network?

https://www.androidpolice.com/get-ready-for-faster-google-pixel-6-5g-speeds-on-t-mobile/

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
I mean I'm already getting like 500/100 on 5G so I can't imagine it getting that much faster... Honestly not so necessary for a phone -- I'd rather they make 5G more battery efficient.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Holy poo poo, either MMS 'technology' needs to die off already, or Google needs to loving figure out the abstraction layers or whatever they need to do to make it actually function already. Since the former isn't going to happen, I wish they would fix their poo poo. I seldom send them myself but I'm getting really tired of people sending me spontaneous context-less pictures audaciously presuming that this is something that, like, works.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

zzMisc posted:

Holy poo poo, either MMS 'technology' needs to die off already, or Google needs to loving figure out the abstraction layers or whatever they need to do to make it actually function already. Since the former isn't going to happen, I wish they would fix their poo poo. I seldom send them myself but I'm getting really tired of people sending me spontaneous context-less pictures audaciously presuming that this is something that, like, works.

Google's messaging is a complete poo poo-show. They had it pretty well figured out with Hangouts (other than encryption), but some VP or something had to justify their existence and throw all that out the window in favor of whatever the gently caress they have now (Messages plus Chat plus Duo (no, not THAT Duo) plus Hangouts (no, not the one that works, the other one just for video meetings, no, different from Duo)).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I just use Textra :shrug:

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Thanatosian posted:

Google's messaging is a complete poo poo-show. They had it pretty well figured out with Hangouts (other than encryption), but some VP or something had to justify their existence and throw all that out the window in favor of whatever the gently caress they have now (Messages plus Chat plus Duo (no, not THAT Duo) plus Hangouts (no, not the one that works, the other one just for video meetings, no, different from Duo)).
I was on the Meet team until December 2020. Yes, organizationally, it's a poo poo show. When I joined, it was Hangouts Meet, then changed to just Meet (with a semi-compatible back end change to go with it). Hangouts (the messaging client) was always a separate entity from Hangouts Meet. Hangouts is now sunsetting in favor of Chat. Duo and Meet were going to be merged, but apparently that changed after I left. And on top of all that is Gmail integration.

No one on any of these teams thinks about Messenger at all. It is a completely different team.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

And Chat absolutely will not rotate for my landscape tablet. :saddumb: How hard is that to implement?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

I just use Textra :shrug:

Textra can't magically make messages appear that never show up, though.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

5TonsOfFlax posted:

I was on the Meet team until December 2020. Yes, organizationally, it's a poo poo show. When I joined, it was Hangouts Meet, then changed to just Meet (with a semi-compatible back end change to go with it). Hangouts (the messaging client) was always a separate entity from Hangouts Meet. Hangouts is now sunsetting in favor of Chat. Duo and Meet were going to be merged, but apparently that changed after I left. And on top of all that is Gmail integration.

No one on any of these teams thinks about Messenger at all. It is a completely different team.

The Gmail integration is just the web version of Chat, right?

As opposed to the web version of Messages.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Thanatosian posted:

The Gmail integration is just the web version of Chat, right?

As opposed to the web version of Messages.

Chat actually has it's own site, chat.google.com, which is _the_ web version, even though most people see it in gmail.
Gmail used to have Hangouts integration (maybe still does?), And before that had gtalk. No, Gmail has never had Messages integration that I know of.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Chat actually has it's own site, chat.google.com, which is _the_ web version, even though most people see it in gmail.
Gmail used to have Hangouts integration (maybe still does?), And before that had gtalk. No, Gmail has never had Messages integration that I know of.

No, messages has its own web version (messages.google.Com). I remember and miss GTalk. The GTalk app was loving great (from the days before apps were called "apps").

EDIT: And still no loving Windows app for Messages, just one for Chat. But the Chat app doesn't seem to support SMS/MMS.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 4, 2022

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
When you go to the messages webpage, you have a button to install it as a Chrome app. It works fine, the same way as the old hangouts app. Separate button on the taskbar, can launch it separately (with chrome in the background), etc. It doesn't need its own bloated installer. This is incidentally the same exact way that the Chat app works, so I'm not sure what you mean by one has it and the other doesn't.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://www.droid-life.com/2022/01/05/pixel-3-gets-surprise-update-to-fix-emergency-call-bug/

As discussed, still getting updates on pixel 3 series despite end of support.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cross-posting from the Android thread:

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Lately I've not been getting occasional new texts. Sometimes I'll even be looking at my phone and I'll see the "Messages is processing a new incoming message" notification, then nothing. I just went to messages.google.com/web this morning and saw a text that I missed last night, the sender followed up on it this morning. Even now, my phone is showing me the text from this morning and my reply to it, but not the one from last night. Moto G Power (2020), Android 11, on Google Fi.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I was considering going for the Pixel Pass since I've been using the same phone on Fi for 5 years and it's absolutely hosed, but like all things involving google, trying to subscribe just runs me through an endless loop of pages that recursively link back in on themselves.

I wonder if anyone else has this problem? It might be related to the $200ish I owe google through Google Ads after getting hacked in early 2020, and even after I contested the charge through my bank google just charged me the total again the very next month, I still somehow appear in default on my account anyway. I wasn't able to get ahold of customer service for the entirety of 2020 because they decided covid was as good an excuse as any to just... not have customer service anymore, and I'm way over the idea of trying to deal with them again at this point.

My point is that google is the boulder to my sisyphus in this post-capitalist nightmare hellscape and I've learned to imagine my sisyphus happy because I just want a working phone to come in the mail without dicking around switching carriers. Unless this Pixel Pass poo poo is just a 2 year contract in disguise? It really seems like it is, and that's probably a terrible idea.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I ended up leaving Fi after a similar experience. Changing carriers is such a nightmare that avoiding doing so was the only reason I was still hanging in there to begin with, so all they had to do was not gently caress up, but they found a way

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
My wife and I have been using a LOT less data since work/school from home has been going on in both our lives. I stick to Fi since this is favorable to bills, and they occasionally have very good deals on phones.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pixel Pass is a 2 year contract in disguise.
Cloud storage helps now that you can't get free photo backup anymore.
YouTube music is awful and in no way worth paying for, bundling in the package or otherwise.
No ads on YouTube is great.
PlayPass is kinda whatever who cares.

Device Protection insurance is a pain in the rear end and confusing to use for both you as well as the repair center.

Anyway, I had to get my screen replaced today at UBreakIFix through the insurance. It took two hours and four support people just to get that information to the repair place so they could start working on my phone.

Has anyone switched from an eSIM to a physical SIM? Would have been nice to have been able to stick a sim in a backup phone while I was waiting on the repair. That whole ordeal only took 6 hours, but the alternative was getting a whole replacement through Google which would not have come until Tuesday (phone breaks on Friday + two business days to ship + weekend).

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The insurance is not very good considering I have several credit cards and a debit card (!) that does the same as long I pay the bill with them at no extra monthly cost.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I'm currently on fi w/ a pixel 3a I got in mid 2019. The battery is starting to go on me and updates are about to end, so I'm shopping for a new phone.

I'm thinking of getting a 5a on a 2 yr plan (comes out to about $200 off with device protection). Is this reasonable? Are there any big dealbreakers with the 5a? Should I just wait 6ish months for the likely release of the 6a?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The a series usually get released in May.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

HolHorsejob posted:

I'm currently on fi w/ a pixel 3a I got in mid 2019. The battery is starting to go on me and updates are about to end, so I'm shopping for a new phone.

Oh dip, I'm in the same boat. Thanks for asking this question for me :toot:

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

FogHelmut posted:

The a series usually get released in May.

This is a fantastic point...

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I switched to tmobile as I was tired of fi's weird wifi calling that isn't not native so adguard app or vpn apps easily break it and also so I could switch back and forth between iPhone and android without losing features, but I found something more to it.
I get like 4 or 5 times the speed of google fi on my regular magenta, it used to be that fi had same priority as tmo postpaid, I don't think that is the case anymore, rip.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It's definitely not as fast. TMobile deprioritizes all of it's MVNOs

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
It used to be as fast, i assume Google didn't want to keep paying for that and their contract renewal went for cheap with deprioritization

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I've never had a problem with wifi calling and adguard +pihole
Well not since I got a orbi wifi 6 mesh

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I've never had a problem with wifi calling and adguard +pihole
Well not since I got a orbi wifi 6 mesh

I mean adguard as in the app in phone not the dns

Confidently Queer
Apr 14, 2003

i am the luckiest shitheap in fyad.
I left Fi this week for US mobile. Didn’t like spotty Wi-Fi calling. Data prices hard to justify. Only saving grace was international use, and covid made that impractical over the couple of years. Verizon via US mobile so far is pretty fast with better pings than I ever got on Fi.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Google FI posted:

We're upgrading our plans starting April 8, 2022. The new, lower unlimited prices will automatically take effect on your next billing cycle. Here's what's changing: 

Flexible plan: 
Pricing: No change

Features:
Free calls between the US, Canada and Mexico

Simply Unlimited: 

Pricing:
$50 per line for 1 line (previously $60)
$40 per line for 2 lines (previously $45)
$25 per line for 3 lines (previously $30)
$20 per line for 4-6 lines (previously $30)

Features:
Data slows after 35GB (previously 22GB) 
Free calls between the US, Canada, and Mexico
5GB of high-speed hotspot tethering (previously none)

Unlimited Plus

Pricing:
$65 per line for 1 line (previously $70)
$55 per line for 2 lines (previously $60)
$45 per line for 3 lines (previously $50)
$40 per line for 4-6 lines (previously $45)

Features:
Data slows after 50GB (previously 22GB) 
Free calls between the US, Canada, and Mexico
Not going to complain about that change!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/google-fi-price-drops-bring-its-basic-plan-down-to-20-per-month/
The pay-as-you-go Flexible plan's pricing hasn't changed, costing $17 per month per line for four lines and $10 per GB of data used, but users on this tier will get to make unlimited calls to Canada and Mexico.

nothing for the cheapskates?

https://imgur.com/a/hyYhHGX

I didn't realize that the unlimited data plans didn't have international and sim card data! The slightly lower prices are tempting. Last few months I have been paying about $62 a month for my and my wife's plan. We'll probably be going out more in the future!

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 9, 2022