Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
a surprising amount of bosses are trivalized by openning up a can of three wolves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

a surprising amount of bosses are trivalized by openning up a can of three wolves

I'm a fan of the noblemen. They do poo poo-all damage but it's hilarious watching the bourgeoisie tank for me.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Has anyone managed to find the poisonbone arrow recipe? According to the online guides it shoudl be in the Deserter's Cookbook (2), and that is supposedly in the Dragon-Burn ruins, but even after half an hour of combing the place I cannot find it there.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Is heavy armor decent in this game? It's been a long time but I thought I remember it being crap in dark souls 3 because of a poise change or something.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

This game hands out neat strength weapons like candy in the early game but is really stingy with dexterity weapons, am I wrong?

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Is heavy armor decent in this game? It's been a long time but I thought I remember it being crap in dark souls 3 because of a poise change or something.

im wearing it because it looks badass but it seems better than ds3

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Are the starting items for each class unique to that class? Or will there be, for example, a cool samurai armour to find later so you can still dress up as a samurai if you started as something else?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

satanic splash-back posted:

This game hands out neat strength weapons like candy in the early game but is really stingy with dexterity weapons, am I wrong?

I have found the opposite. as if a three-chained flail isn’t a little bit of a str weapon.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

To be fair the dex classes start with the Estock and the Uchikatana which have historically been two of the very best Dex weapons in souls games. So a lot less variety but also you don't really NEED it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
gently caress everything. How do I get my runes back from Patches? Do I just kill him? Because I'm willing to kill him. Do not gently caress with me, Baldy!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Flytrap posted:

It feels like the cost of levels escalates waaay too fast.

I think it’s less of cost escalation and more of XP gain is overall very slow. You don’t really get much from most of the stuff in the overworld and even dungeons / castle mobs don’t hand out lots of experience. I wonder how rebalance it’d be to just guarantee dungeon / catacombs / mines gave you 1 lvl worth of experience at a minimum.

I’m starting to notice that I need to clear a lot of trash or do some serious exploring to bank enough runs for the next level and I’m still in my 30s

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Spergatory posted:

gently caress everything. How do I get my runes back from Patches? Do I just kill him? Because I'm willing to kill him. Do not gently caress with me, Baldy!

Why would you want to hurt your good pal and best friend Patches?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao I ran into the Nightman

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Why would you want to hurt your good pal and best friend Patches?

I don't want to. I have to, you see. It's a compulsion, very tragic. But it'll go away if he just gives me my loving runes back. :argh:

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Not sure I feel about our ol pal (Murkwater Cave spoilers) Patches showing up. It's getting a little redundant at this point. plus they gave him a great send out in DS3. I will admit he got me with the teleporter chest to the bears on my second visit, lol.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

ive died an embarassing number of times fighting in the open world because i wasent paying attention while circling a boss on horseback and got stuck on the terrain right when it does a big oneshot attack

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh man I found a cheeky boss in a catacombs to the west of academy west town. spirit caller snail. Fight is standard against this spirit angel dude until you kill him and realize he’s literally a summon and this rear end in a top hat little snail is the actual boss, popping around the arena summoning the spirit over and over.

Blues Hammer
Nov 6, 2011

We're gonna play some authentic way down in the delta blues!
Hey, guess who no longer has a huge intimidating horseman hanging around the starting area? Ichabod Crane sends his regards, motherfucker.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is the stamina bar not depleting sometimes (at least visually) when you run a known bug? i'm on ps4

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Having the first boss be able to kill you in one hit before you can level up yet and with no chance to get a real shield that blocks physical damage properly yet is sure a thing. (Playing Astrologer)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

actionjackson posted:

is the stamina bar not depleting sometimes (at least visually) when you run a known bug? i'm on ps4

Stamina doesn't deplete unless you're near enemies.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Tosk posted:

Are there any decent communities to discuss this game besides here? Reddit is full of memes and scrubs playing their first FromSoft game, but I'm interested in hearing about people who are making their way into the endgame, looking for secrets and other more subtle bits of content. I myself am working my way through DS3 for the first time and waiting for a patch on PC to drop before I wade in, but I couldn't care less about ER spoilers.

This is really the best one. Era is full of hyperbole and endless bitching

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Has anyone here been able to figure out how to activate the big elevator near the Rampart Tower bonfire in Stormveil Castle? I've been up and down this castle like 5 times and I cannot figure it out for the life of me. It's like literally the last mystery in this place and it's going to drive me crazy if I don't figure it out.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

LibbyM posted:

Having the first boss be able to kill you in one hit before you can level up yet and with no chance to get a real shield that blocks physical damage properly yet is sure a thing. (Playing Astrologer)

This is adorable

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

LibbyM posted:

Are you talking about the very first encounter right at the start of the game? It’s a “welcome to elder ring, friend” encounter and you’re not meant to kill it. I mean, you can, but it just leads you to the same place dying does

Orv
May 4, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Are the starting items for each class unique to that class? Or will there be, for example, a cool samurai armour to find later so you can still dress up as a samurai if you started as something else?

I found the Astrologer (I think) outfit somewhere, it comes like old games where it's the full outfit and starting equipment of that class. It was in a somewhat later portion of the game, just going by how it directs you but you can skip there fairly easily.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Typical Twitter detritus. "I've tried nothing and I am all out of ideas. Make the game easier for me."

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
just got pasted by a big demon with a machete and two dogs in a tiny room. tired of your bullshit fromsoft.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
What's the difference between the two summon sign items? I've had plenty of luck putting down the gold finger in front of boss doors but when I've tried the summoning pool effigy thing I've never gotten a bite. Is the latter supposed to put my sign at all the effigies I've activated in the world so I just get called somewhere random?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Are you talking about the very first encounter right at the start of the game? It’s a “welcome to elder ring, friend” encounter and you’re not meant to kill it. I mean, you can, but it just leads you to the same place dying does

You can kill it to get some loot, but even if you beat it you have to die to progress

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Sorry, to be clear I meant the first real boss. The one right at the start of the open world area. Tree Sentinel.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i just instinctively avoided tree sentinel when i saw him because it was a wide open field and i didn't have a horse yet.

then i went back when i had a horse and i killed him first try.

don't fight him on foot.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

LibbyM posted:

Sorry, to be clear I meant the first real boss. The one right at the start of the open world area. Tree Sentinel.

just don't fight him. you don't have to. he's harder than most bosses in the area

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

beep by grandpa posted:

A couple messages that got me

Under a tree between two mushrooms:
"ahhh, snake!
ahhh, snake!"

A very poorly optimized load zone that chugged the game to hell and right in the middle of it with a million upvotes was something like
"beware path,
bug located"

in a creepy dark little hidden room behind a shelf
"ahh cramped space...
time for two-handed!"

Behind the big stone at the castle morne boss fight I saw one that was hidden away that said "always nothing, if only I had a lover." Lol

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

in ds3 heavy armor poise only really comes into play when your weapon is a big lad but it also has much better damage absorption than in the other games, it makes a serious difference especially in pvp.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I am so done with teleporting traps

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

LibbyM posted:

The point of Tree Sentinel is “hey bud you don’t have to kill every single enemy you come across, some will be way too strong and you’ll need to come back much stronger”

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Magrit went down like a chump with a rotting dog and my poison spiked mace. But that was probably fluke. Helped a few people afterwards and summons were near instant. It’s a great spot. You get about 3k runes each kill.

But drat this castle is nuts! The big dudes with wind powers eat up my flasks like nuts. At least initially.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok, I gotta ask, is it possible to enter the Godrick fight from the back? I put off that castle until exploring most of the map and obviously didn't find the exit until beating him, so now Im curious because I literally walked right by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

I feel like I have a lot of cool dex weapons. nightrider flail, pest's glaive, falchion, estoc, ivory sickle, bloodhound's fang etc