Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
What are your favorite recipes with red beans?
I recently bought a certain amount of dried red beans, but I lack inspiration and I don't have many "uncommon" ingredients yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
My mom made a lot of Cajun food when I was growing up so I love red beans and rice. It's one of those things where I'm sure you can make a quick version if you want, but the longer you let it cook the better it tastes and the better your kitchen smells-- traditionally it has andouille sausage in it but you can leave it out easily and just increase the spices a little to compensate. Ditto if you want that fatty unctuousness without meat a spoonful of coconut oil works great, you could also just smush some of the beans against the side of your pot or even give a few quicks whizzes of an immersion blender to help get that velvety texture. You can use vegan sausage if you really want-- I have in the past-- but it's really not necessary and imo usually makes it too salty, it's filling and rich enough on its own with just the beans and veggies and rice.

Edit: I guess to address your point about not having a lot of uncommon ingredients-- there are a bunch of different recipes for this and for the most part it's made with stuff that I think any grocery store in the US would have, and from what I've seen of European grocery stores you would probably be fine there too. Dunno about elsewhere in the world. It's basically just red beans, rice, onion, celery, bell peppers, garlic, spices, and then everything on top of that is embroidery. Here is the most straightforward version I could find. I'll check my Bryant Terry books in a bit to see if he has a version.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 23, 2022

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Loddfafnir posted:

What are your favorite recipes with red beans?
I recently bought a certain amount of dried red beans, but I lack inspiration and I don't have many "uncommon" ingredients yet.
Red bean salad, ital stew, aash shalgham, and this bean chili recipe:

1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground
1 tsp coriander seeds, toasted and ground
4 allspice berries, toasted and ground
2 tsp dried oregano, preferably Mexican
2 tsp ground ancho chile
½ tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp smoked paprika
1 cup (250 mL) dried pinto beans, rinsed and sorted
1 cup (250 mL) dried small red beans, rinsed and sorted
1 cup (250 mL) dried black beans, rinsed and sorted
1 14.5-oz (411-g) can chopped organic tomatoes (or 5 fresh tomatoes chopped)
8 cups (2 L) vegetable stock or water
1 tbsp sea salt
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
1 bunch green onions, diced

In a small frying pan on medium heat, sauté onions in oil until completely soft and almosttranslucent, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, coriander, allspice, oregano, ancho, cayenne, and paprika, and stir gently until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Put beans, onion mixture, tomatoes, and stock in slow cooker and cook on high heat for 4–6 hours or low heat 6–9 hours. Watch water level; if beans begin to dry out, add more water. When beans are almost done, add salt and adjust seasonings. If chili is not spicy enough, add more cayenne pepper ½ tsp at a time, to taste. Serve chili beans topped with cilantro, avocado slices, and green onions.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
Many thanks!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I did find a different Bryant Terry recipe that looks really good and showcases red beans: his jollof rice recipe from Black Food. I ate a poo poo ton of jollof in Philly and it's really good, so I'm looking forward to trying this recipe out myself.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Another good tip is that most black eyed bean recipes can be done with red beans if you want.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I am attempting to make a bread recipe (in my fancy new bread machine) that called for heavy whipping cream. I've used a 2:1 mixture of soy milk and oil for that in this sort of context before, but I'm sweating bullets because modifying baking recipes is always kind of a crapshoot. I guess I'll have a trip report once it's done.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Trip report, it worked pretty good!

Strawberry shortcake bread. It's much more cake like in texture than bread like. And the kneading function is apparently...significantly more robust on my machine than the one used by the recipe writer, so instead of chunks, it's all throughout the bread. It's pretty good, though. Very strawberry-y. Top didn't brown worth a drat, though, but that's apparently a bit of an issue with this particular machine.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I need a vegan month but it's also going to be a busy month. What are your favourite, cheap, fast recipes? We already eat a lot of curry and nice pasta so looking to add some easy variety for weeknights and lunches.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

That stir fried cucumber with some noodles or rice has become one of our go-tos. Lots of broccoli and spinach too.

We eat a lot of rice and lao gan ma. Make a pot of rice at breakast, leave it sitting cold on the stove over the course of the day, and it makes two or three quick meals. Most varieties of Lao Gan Ma seem to be vegan, and we always have a jar of the black bean or the mushroom one open in the fridge. It's fantastic stuff.

We made sushi for dinner the other day. The only non-vegan thing in it was mayo, and that's extremely easy to sub. Nori, rice, cucumber, bell peppers, mayo, carrot and lao gan ma. We sometimes just eat it as we make it.

We made patatas bravas for breakfast the other day (which wasn't quick, but was pretty easy, and declious, and would have left us potatoes boiled for another meal if we needed)

...We've gone through 5kg of sushi rice in like, a month, I need to order more.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 26, 2022

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Bollock Monkey posted:

I need a vegan month but it's also going to be a busy month. What are your favourite, cheap, fast recipes? We already eat a lot of curry and nice pasta so looking to add some easy variety for weeknights and lunches.

Some of these are enough for a meal by themselves, some you'll want a side with.

Black eyes peas and greens.

Peanut tofu noodle bowls

Tomato, kale, and white bean skillets

Sesame tofu

BBQ tofu (buying the sauce premade makes it take almost no time)

Potato and bean quesadillas

Taco pasta

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Bollock Monkey posted:

My go to for a lazy meal is always some tofu/tempeh scramble. There are a dozen recipes online but the basics are saute up some veggies, toss in some scrambled tofu/tempeh, and season to your liking. If you don't want to cook you can cut everything up and bake it in the oven.

Chickpea Avocado Salad Sandwiches - You don't need to use avocado, you can use vegan mayo or some other fat.
Buffalo Chickpea Quesadilla
Lemon Rice - This works best with leftover rice.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Hello thread. Even though I'm not vegan I've been following this on and off for a while, mainly because I like having a full range of culinary dishes at my disposal. Lent is coming up and my usual thing of going vegan during the period is near. Normally that doesn't seem tough but the caveat is that I've been doing keto for a while and because I'm a true Catholic in loving personal suffering, I'm going to do vegan keto for Lent. If people here got some vegan recipes that are also keto friendly I'd love to hear them.

Don't come at me with your hot keto takes either. I've done keto vegan the last 2 years during Lent but I want more recipes in my repertoire.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Chickpeas are great to have on hand. Blend them up for hummous, add some salt, pepper and olive oil for a quick salad, mash em up and put them on bread, add them to sauces and stuff, fry them up with your cold rice. Always good to keep a few tins in the cupboard.

One of our main breakfasts is hummous and pitta bread. Pitta bread is fun and very easy to make, and you can use the dough for all sorts of other things too. (Dough balls, pizza, red bean buns...)

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2016/jul/13/how-to-cook-the-perfect-pitta-bread

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Alas chickpeas aren't that keto friendly as they're pretty heavy on carbs.

Pita bread can be low on carbohydrates if I shop carefully or make it myself. I found this recipe that I'm willing to give a go; I'll post up later this week when I try it with my results/verdict.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

What are your preferred carb limits for any given meal?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Ultimately I'd like to keep under 30g of total carbohydrates for the day.

I've done it before but it was by eating salads & vegetable broth the entire time. Needless to say it was a gigantic challenge but I use this period to reassess my nutrition goals and figure out where and how to get to my next stage.

I do want to state that I don't have anything against chickpeas or other classic vegan staples, but since they have a tendency to be used as filler and are incredibly carbohydrates dense, I can't eat a lot of it and remain in ketosis.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah that's fair, I was responding to the post above for lazy meals still and hadn't really seen your keto needs. It sounds like a tough diet, good luck with it! I've given stuff up for lent and advent in the past, but not recently. My mum gave up chocolate one year and my dad coffee, and I think that may be the reason they divorced.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Alright, with that level of carbs in mind

Lemon garlic roasted asparagus

Southwest cauliflower rice

Sesame roasted green beans

Lemon and herb baked tofu

Roasted brussels sprouts

Those are some I've made in the past couple weeks that are fairly low carb, mostly side dishes. I'll have to dig through the other stuff I've liked and see if anything else is low enough carbs.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Alright, with that level of carbs in mind

Lemon garlic roasted asparagus

Southwest cauliflower rice

Sesame roasted green beans

Lemon and herb baked tofu

Roasted brussels sprouts

Those are some I've made in the past couple weeks that are fairly low carb, mostly side dishes. I'll have to dig through the other stuff I've liked and see if anything else is low enough carbs.

Thank you very much! I've bookmarked those links and I am looking forward to trying those out.

The local farmers market will be open tomorrow so I'll see if I can grab provisions.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Video time again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75VYn7D9WEI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPyydP2jZls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iZ7Ovd-vck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Led7mBEbLlw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeaSTee1oRc

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I made something based on kimchi bokkeumbap:

Blitzed chickpeas with gochujang, doenjang, rice wine vinegar, tahini and soy sauce in the blender. Mixed it with leftover rice, and added sautéed vegetables, chilli, ginger and garlic. Very easy, pretty tasty.

Made some Chinese:

Lotus root stir fry based loosely on this recipe; spicy Hunan steamed tofu (I forgot to buy mushrooms, though); Hunan style steamed eggplant; and eggplant "unagi" (not Chinese, obviously).
They were all very good, but the unagi was the real stand out.
Cooking multiple dishes like this is a new thing for me, and I've no idea how you make sure they're all ready and hot at the same time; I now understand why so many Korean banchan are meant to be eaten at room temp.

Combined these two recipes for rasmalai tres leches cake:

I could only get roasted salted pistachios, and I upped the quantity of them significantly (about 1/4 of a cup each of cashews and pistachios in the milk mixture), and it still could've been pistachio-er. Still delicious, though. The cake is just a basic sponge, but the pistachio cream is wonderful.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Some fun miscellaneous recipes:

Greek spinach rice

A basic pho recipe

A hot pot recipe

Taiwanese sticky rice

Creamy sesame noodles with tofu skin

A lemon cake (topping has fake yogurt but you can just do whatever if like me you don't really truck with fake stuff very often)

Neapolitan Christmas cookies (skip the egg glaze)

Neapolitan style pasta with chickpeas

A fermented carrot drink

Punjabi cauliflower stems

Punjabi mashed turnips (use oil instead of ghee)

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions the other day. I've got a good and varied meal plan that's not going to take up my precious free time!

I was a bit suspicious of this one and worried it would be bland. When I tasted for seasoning at the end, I threw in a bit of smoked sea salt and another big grind of black pepper, and it was really simple but really satisfying! A nice surprise.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Cheese 2.0 update:
I think I gave myself food poisoning.

I had one of the wheels of Roquefort at dinner last night. It wasn't very good; dry as the Sahara, very strong mould flavour (not bad mould, just a very strong Roquefort flavour with none of the creamy cheesiness to cut through it). It was okay on crackers with mango paste, as long as the ratio of paste:cheese was right.

Felt fine for a while afterwards. But then I started to feel dizzy and jittery, so I went to bed early (~2,5 hrs after eating); woke up feeling the same. I gave plasma yesterday, so I initially suspected it might be low blood pressure, and upped my water intake. But my room mate is feeling exactly the same way.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yikes! I'm kind of glad I never really liked cheese in the first place, so I've never been tempted to try to recreate it. The life of a vegan in pursuit of cheese seems like a difficult one.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Also, why not some miscellaneous recipes and videos while I'm at it?

Polish porcini pierogi (use oil, not butter)

Spicy and sour potato starch noodles

Chinese New Year white almond cookies

Italian semolina bread

Vietnamese lemongrass tofu rice vermicelli bowl

Vietnamese stir fried chow mein

Chinese hot and sour radishes

Chinese lettuce with oyster sauce (use vegan oyster sauce)

Spanish-style tomato sauce (used in a couple of the recipes below)

Sevillan white bean stew

Spanish creamy rice with vegetables

Pisto manchego (Spanish ratatouille)

Spanish lentil stew

Spanish noodle soup (sopa de fideos)

Keralan raw papaya curry

Yard beans with potatoes

African black eyed bean fritters

Broccoli zaatar soup with tahini cream

Tahini rotini alla vodka

Wine-braised eggplant tomato pasta (Soom Foods is either stealing this person's recipes or vice versa, or something. E.g. https://soomfoods.com/blogs/recipes/wine-braised-eggplant-pasta)

Beet chickpea pasta with lemon tahini sauce

Italian Tropea onion soup

Ciammotta (Italian ratatouille)

Tuscan baked beans

Delightfully simple garlic chili risotto

And now the videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4XB-3O7UTk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXARraPUHic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC87cKrwU5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWQuaCrGlNo

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 4, 2022

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

What are some simple and relatively neat (aka not hard to eat) recipes to share with ~4 people.

Twist: I’m cooking at someone else’s place so I need a recipe with relatively few ingredients. Makes it easier for me to bring stuff.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/italian-orzo-salad/ - this was linked above and seems okay, but kind of plain and not the easiest to eat on a casual setting.

The lemon and herb tofu listed a few posts back also seemed relatively straight forward and good.

E: also I found out I’m doing this tonight, so I don’t have a lot of time to grab specialty items

E2: ooooh this might be the winner

https://www.budgetbytes.com/warm-brussels-sprouts-and-pear-salad/

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 4, 2022

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What are some simple and relatively neat (aka not hard to eat) recipes to share with ~4 people.

Twist: I’m cooking at someone else’s place so I need a recipe with relatively few ingredients. Makes it easier for me to bring stuff.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/italian-orzo-salad/ - this was linked above and seems okay, but kind of plain and not the easiest to eat on a casual setting.

The lemon and herb tofu listed a few posts back also seemed relatively straight forward and good.

E: also I found out I’m doing this tonight, so I don’t have a lot of time to grab specialty items

E2: ooooh this might be the winner

https://www.budgetbytes.com/warm-brussels-sprouts-and-pear-salad/

Everyone likes Lasagna. The lentil she makes is also really great for pastas in general.

https://www.noracooks.com/best-vegan-lasagna/

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Everyone likes Lasagna. The lentil she makes is also really great for pastas in general.

https://www.noracooks.com/best-vegan-lasagna/
To me it would be insane to feed a non-vegan person a vegan lasagna. Even a lot of vegans are not satisfied by vegan lasagnas. But maybe I just have a skewed perspective here. And Ornery and Hornery might only be feeding vegans so this might be a non-issue (although even as a vegan I'd prefer it if people never tried to feed me fake cheese again).

It's too late to suggest stuff for your meal Ornery and Hornery but a lot of the stuff I post in here is pretty simple (e.g. the pierogi recipe has like 6 ingredients, most of which I always have on hand anyways, and the oyster sauce lettuce recipe is just lettuce + a bit of stuff I always have on hand, etc.).

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

TychoCelchuuu posted:

To me it would be insane to feed a non-vegan person a vegan lasagna. Even a lot of vegans are not satisfied by vegan lasagnas.

Agreed; vegan lasagne is miss far more often than it's hit. And when it is good, it's a good pasta bake, not a good lasagne.
Throwing that sauce on pasta seems like it'd be good, though. Who doesn't like pasta.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I found that one was pretty good. She makes her own "cheese" with cashews for that recipe, although I skipped it when I made mine and it was a hit among my friend group. I did add a lot more veggies though.

Lady Disdain posted:

Throwing that sauce on pasta seems like it'd be good, though. Who doesn't like pasta.

This would be my other recommendation. It comes out really nice, somewhat ragulike.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Here's my ~once a year post about some fake poo poo because why not: if you have a ChefSteps subscription (I don't, so I can't vouch for any of this poo poo) you can check out their beef bolognese, ground meat, and prosciutto. While you're at it they've got cookies, custard, and brownies.

Some proper food too, while I'm posting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvQsDs7v8TA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWjGjeXYUKQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp-2b6qFoRc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul1uSAHx-Zo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHLMEH8oMzg

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Thanks for the recommendations on quick recipe's, my friends.

I recognize that it was a quick turnaround on my request. And we did it :)

I freaking love eating delicious vegan food!

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Made haggis, neeps and tatties with mustard sauce (don't have any whisky at the moment).

Based on this recipe
https://thepeskyvegan.com/recipes/vegan-haggis/

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

Just yesterday I copied that recipe from that site to my recipe manager, because we tried it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

for fucks sake posted:

Made haggis, neeps and tatties with mustard sauce (don't have any whisky at the moment).

Based on this recipe

Nice! I've not tried making my own vegan haggis before, usually I get Macsween's version, which is pretty good. Stahly tinned haggis is also fine. I've found even a lot of meat eaters prefer the veggie version to the one made of offal. I like to mix mustard into the mash rather than as a sauce.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

big scary monsters posted:

Nice! I've not tried making my own vegan haggis before, usually I get Macsween's version, which is pretty good. Stahly tinned haggis is also fine. I've found even a lot of meat eaters prefer the veggie version to the one made of offal. I like to mix mustard into the mash rather than as a sauce.

I've had the tinned stuff before and it's fine. Thing is I need to make enough for eight people and getting it on import in Sweden is extortionate.

Good shout on the mustard in the mash, will give that a go next time.

deano
Sep 6, 2000

for fucks sake posted:

Based on this recipe

would eat, looks braw :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I am sick as poo poo, and all I want to eat is soup. But I am too floppy to make soup, and I never think to just have it on hand in the freezer. So instead I'm sullenly eating the hummus pasta I made this week (along with the other stuff that I lack pictures of, and dried fruit).