Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ronya posted:

Domestically Indians still feel very pro-Soviet/Russian, with China and Pakistan being the stalwart US allies. The prospect of a Rus-Pak-China compact is steadily applying pressure to shift this calculus, but half a century of cultural affiliation is slow to unwind

Complicating this is that India buys a ton of their arms from Russia. With the very real prospect of the Russian arms industry getting effectively shut down for some period of time due to the sanctions that are happening, they have to take a very careful look at their defensive posture for the next couple years. There's no good way forward on this for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gripweed posted:

The problem is, the longer this goes on the greater the pressure to do something will be on Western governments. As that pressure mounts, leaders are going to start making calculations about what they could do that isn't declaring war but is something and might make Putin back down.

I don't know about Europe but in American discourse at least there's been an effort to make "no-fly zones" seem like a less than war option. Like they're a step up from sanctions but still not actually a boots on the ground war, is the vibe you would get from discussions about a no-fly zone in Syria, for example.

Several NATO countries have openly adopted an aid policy that's effectively 'if you want to use this to kill Russians, you can have it for free'.

It's been rapidly normalised but if you stop and think about it that's an incredibly hostile stance.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Gripweed posted:

I don't know what the administrative process would be, but at least one congressperson is calling for it

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1497401964803641347?s=20&t=qMiKq4fJ0_VM9sB39GQIQQ

That seems unlikely. Like, we'd get there pretty quick, but "NATO announces a no-fly zone" would not immediately be followed with launching all the nukes. Both sides would give time for the other side to blink.

Yeah Kinzinger is a lame duck and a GOP pariah. He has absolutely zero clout. He gets to talk on TV a lot because he's a Republican who voted for Trump's second impeachment.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

ZombieLenin posted:

First of all, it is not going to happen; and second of all, that's a pretty reckless assumption.

Escalate to deescalate doesn't seem far fetched.

I'd imagine striking NATO airbases would be first on the table if NATO decided to declare war. Once they've been destroyed the question would be does NATO respond in kind, killing about 66% of its population in the process, or "deescalate" by conceeding.

This is all thoroughly clancy chat though, which is why discussion of NATO fighting Russian forces is not realistic.

Saying the Russian would fight a war against NATO if NATO fought a war with Russia isn't reckless, its the only safe assumption.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/franakviacorka/status/1497590912146358275

Moving to back up a siege of Kyiv?

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

I guess it's a noble effort, but I've seen more destroyed AFV/IFV in one twitter clip then whats documented here.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

FishBulbia posted:

Escalate to deescalate doesn't seem far fetched.

I'd imagine striking NATO airbases would be first on the table if NATO decided to declare war. Once they've been destroyed the question would be does NATO respond in kind, killing about 66% of its population in the process, or "deescalate" by conceeding.

This is all thoroughly clancy chat though, which is why discussion of NATO fighting Russian forces is not realistic.

If Russia does a nuclear strike the NATO response will be in the air before the Russian missiles explode.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Looks like they were planned to be used to occupy western Ukraine, but now they're needed back east.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

thats the wrong direction for that isnt it? are they going to try for a wider encirclement?

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
https://www.ft.com/content/b6712657-d6b7-4d56-95f7-849a653d5a66

FT posted:

Wheat and other grain prices have soared since the Russian invasion of Ukraine. But those prices are not an adequate picture of the problems with losing Ukrainian grain exports.

The disruption of grain exports from Ukraine and Russia through the Black Sea will probably lead to physical shortages of food in the world, particularly for countries dependent on those supplies.

If the war is prolonged, it will impact millions of people living in places such as Egypt, Tunisia, Morocco, Pakistan and Indonesia. That could have political consequences. Local and imported grain shortages have been cited as one of the causes of the 2011 Arab Spring uprisings, as well as the Syrian civil war.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

punishedkissinger posted:

thats the wrong direction for that isnt it? are they going to try for a wider encirclement?

Cut off supplies from the west maybe?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Several NATO countries have openly adopted an aid policy that's effectively 'if you want to use this to kill Russians, you can have it for free'.

It's been rapidly normalised but if you stop and think about it that's an incredibly hostile stance.

What's remarkable is that it's so overt. And it's drawing new leadership lines in Europe.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Gripweed posted:

If Russia does a nuclear strike the NATO response will be in the air before the Russian missiles explode.
Yeah, so they probably won't be willing to end civilization over Ukraine.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/russia%E2%80%99s-crazy-nuclear-war-strategy-escalationto-de-escalate-180680

The phrase “escalate to de-escalate” first surfaced in the summer of 2015. As noted by Kevin Ryan, associate fellow at Harvard Kennedy School’s Belfer Center, the phrase originated in American—rather than Russian—defense discourse. The core idea behind “escalate to de-escalate” is, simply, that Russia is now willing to engage in a limited nuclear war in order to win—that is, end—a conventional conflict.

Deputy Secretary of Defense Robert Work and the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Adm. James Winnefeld, invoked “escalate to de-escalate” during a testimony to the House Committee on Armed Services: “Russian military doctrine includes what some have called an ‘escalate to deescalate’ strategy—a strategy that purportedly seeks to deescalate a conventional conflict through coercive threats, including limited nuclear use. We think that this label is dangerously misleading. Anyone who thinks they can control escalation through the use of nuclear weapons is literally playing with fire. Escalation is escalation, and nuclear use would be the ultimate escalation.”

“Escalate to de-escalate” surged in popularity during the Trump years, penetrating key U.S. defense documents. “Moscow threatens and exercises [i.e., rehearses] limited nuclear first use, suggesting a mistaken expectation that coercive nuclear threats or limited first use could paralyze the United States and NATO and thereby end a conflict on terms favorable to Russia,” reads the Defense Department’s 2018 Nuclear Posture Review. “Some in the United States refer to this as Russia’s ‘escalate to deescalate’ doctrine.”

Analysts have noted that the concept of using low-yield nuclear weapons to influence the course of a conventional conflict is not new, neither to Russia nor the US. A 2019 Defense Department guidance on Nuclear Operations discusses the possibility of limited nuclear war: “Employment of nuclear weapons can radically alter or accelerate the course of a campaign. A nuclear weapon could be brought into the campaign as a result of perceived failure in a conventional campaign, potential loss of control or regime, or to escalate the conflict to sue for peace on more favorable terms.”

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Alchenar posted:

This is one of my big worries, in America and Europe war has been so detached from democracy, people don't think about it. We've created a state of constant war that is out of sight and out of mind. All of the military options we've come to rely on assume that we're dealing with a country that can in no serious way threaten us or respond proportionately to what we do to them. Now we're up against a country that can hit back. So what the gently caress do we do? All of the buttons we have to press just escalate the situation.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Kyiv is south from the eastern part of Belarus.
In this map screenshot I put the marker on the most Eastern mentioned town in that tweet.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

MadJackal posted:

Or maybe America’s entire military tech and intelligence structure was built to counter conventional mass Soviet armor groups, and the scenario of smaller ground forces with advanced weaponry and near-perfect intel are faring well.

I remember reading a lovely tom clancy book (during my 13-year old rainbow six tacticool operator phase, don't judge me :( ) called red storm rising about a Nato vs USSR conflict in the late 80s, and I remember thinking it was stupid because the soviet tactics were basically lining up columns of tanks that just kept getting shredded and splitting their forces thin enough with paradrops that nato just kept curbstomping them.

Smug teenager me was like, "thats dumb. No army would be that dumb". In TYooL 2022 I'm wrong I guess.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Before enforcing a no fly zone any responsible Western leader should at least take the time to distribute bibles and lethal doses of barbiturates to all civilians.

I don't want to hear about such poo poo anymore while we have an actual war on

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Samopsa posted:

Kyiv is south from the eastern part of Belarus.
In this map screenshot I put the marker on the most Eastern mentioned town in that tweet.

oh shoot my brain saw east->west

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Alchenar posted:

I've said it in this thread before, but I think we will find NATO helped Ukraine actively during the invasion, with intel and I imagine, boots on the ground in C&C positions.

Look at flightradar24, there's been atleast 2 two NATO tankers in air constantly. There's a drone over the Black Sea thats been going for 3 days now. Earlier they had Rivet Joint SIGINT aircraft with their transponder on, we even got a surprise appearance by an F-16 over Romania.

NATO is feeding Ukraine intel that is killing Russians.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Gripweed posted:

Pretty much. Don't forget that NATO countries have invested a LOT into missile defense in the last 30 years as well. There is questions on how well it actually works in reality but the prospect enough has caused Putin to lose his poo poo over them. You would have NATO response upon the entirety of the Russian military and leadership within minutes. And let's say worst case scenario the missile defense only takes out 25% of the incoming strikes, you still have a very robust force left.

The only way something like that would work is if they have China as a full partner but even then you are looking are decimation for the China/Russia alliance quickly.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1497607304044236808

if resistance keeps up, Russia is going to have to police quite a lot of the country to protect supply lines...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The US/NATO isn't seriously considering a no fly zone are they? Why are we discussing this?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grouchio posted:

The US/NATO isn't seriously considering a no fly zone are they? Why are we discussing this?

Because a handful of people really like fantasizing about WWIII.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Grouchio posted:

the no fly zone exists and the ghost of kyiv is enforcing it

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ronya posted:

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1497607304044236808

if resistance keeps up, Russia is going to have to police quite a lot of the country to protect supply lines...

maybe they should stop sending their riot police to death then

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Just had a dark thought. For maybe the first time we’re going to see what happens when patriotic anti occupation resistance synergies with readily available social media clout chasing.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 26, 2022

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Trump posted:

I've said it in this thread before, but I think we will find NATO helped Ukraine actively during the invasion, with intel and I imagine, boots on the ground in C&C positions.

Look at flightradar24, there's been atleast 2 two NATO tankers in air constantly. There's a drone over the Black Sea thats been going for 3 days now. Earlier they had Rivet Joint SIGINT aircraft with their transponder on, we even got a surprise appearance by an F-16 over Romania.

Even if the US/NATO is feeding literally nothing to Ukraine (and I agree that they almost certainly are,) it's an intelligence goldmine. It's not often you get to watch another military conduct no-poo poo near-peer combat operations. You can learn all kinds of fun stuff from this. E-8 JSTARs have been involved since the very beginnings of the buildup in Russia.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

How can Putin survive this?
Even if/when the Russian forces take control in Ukraine, Russia will have suffered so much geopolitical damage that its hard to see how they can salvage anything from this.
They will be isolated from the rest of the world, even their usual allies, (outside the puppet states) are distancing themselves as much as possible.
I'm very ignorant on the subject I know, but its hard to see any possible outcome from this that strengthens Russia's position on the world stage.

To me, it looks like he's torpedoed his country because he wants to go back to the Good Old Days when Russia was Strong and he had hair.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Alchenar posted:

Convoys of Polish trucks delivering free weapons into Ukraine is incredibly hostile and having countries like the UK and now even fuckin Germany dumping more weapons onto those trucks is a massive hit to Putin's short term goal to pacify Ukraine and his long term goal to destabilize NATO.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Grouchio posted:

Nobody in any position to influence the option of a no fly zone is talking about it. It’s not on the table.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Grouchio posted:

Most of it is just clancyposting, some is people hearing rumours and asking without considering the implications.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Libluini posted:

maybe they should stop sending their riot police to death then

in a not at all shocking twist, it turns out literally no one anywhere likes riot cops

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Trump posted:

Update from CNN just now basically confirms it.

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-news-02-26-22/h_73acdbfb950f26b32ff7800004bee3a8

quote:

“We have continued to flow assistance to the Ukrainians, even since the airspace has become disputed and contested, and we’re going to continue to look for additional venues to do that,” the official said on a call with reporters.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Pookah posted:

How can Putin survive this?.

Dont underestimate the durability of an entrenched autocrat! I think this will hurt Russia a lot, but im skeptical we will see the end of Putin anytime soon.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Re: nuclear use: I reached out to my old international law professor, who jokes that he "solved the cold war" while working for RAND Corporation in the 80s. Since then he's probably played more Twilight Struggle than any human on earth. His TL;DR -
  • Russia will not under any circumstances use nuclear weapons against Ukraine
  • If by some insanity they do, NATO will under no circumstances "retaliate" with military force (nuclear or otherwise). Ukraine is not in NATO and Ukraine is not worth starting WW3 over.
Lots of people have been wrong about lots of things, but I appreciate that highly informed perspective. And it of course matches the thread consensus.

Alchenar posted:

Tale as old as time. This was, and again now is, the cold war.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gripweed posted:

This is one of my big worries, in America and Europe war has been so detached from democracy, people don't think about it. We've created a state of constant war that is out of sight and out of mind. All of the military options we've come to rely on assume that we're dealing with a country that can in no serious way threaten us or respond proportionately to what we do to them. Now we're up against a country that can hit back. So what the gently caress do we do? All of the buttons we have to press just escalate the situation.

You do exactly what we did in the cold war maybe with fewer coups in South America - impose economic costs, make sure collective defence is credible, pull as many people behind the Article 5 line as you can and bunker down for the long haul until someone ends up in charge of Russia who wants to try not being North Korea. And I think that at the beginning of this week there wasn't democratic consent for that approach in the West and at the end of this week there is.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

That is very interesting as I'd assumed at some point they were going to have to try and shut the border to stop arms arriving from Poland.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Dont underestimate the durability of an entrenched autocrat! I think this will hurt Russia a lot, but im skeptical we will see the end of Putin anytime soon.

Assad is still the president of a pile of ashes and smoke. That puts things in perspective.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FizFashizzle posted:

Just had a dark tonight. For maybe the first time we’re going to see what happens when patriotic anti occupation resistance synergies with readily available social media clout chasing.

The ukrainians seem to be stomping down really hard on absolutely anything that might give away troop movements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Earlier today a Blackhawk was chilling right at the Ukraine border from Poland. I doubt it was carrying pepsi.