Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Can someone give me a blurb about how vikings ended? I think I missed the last session or two Ivar lost and fled kattegat I think was the last finale I saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Kingtheninja posted:

Can someone give me a blurb about how vikings ended? I think I missed the last session or two Ivar lost and fled kattegat I think was the last finale I saw.

Honestly might be better to look up recaps if you're really interested. They jammed a lot of stuff into 5 and 6.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh man, is there really no way to watch all of Jackass on streaming? Prime has tons of missing episodes

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Not streaming (Paramount+ also has missing episodes) but Vudu has the complete series bundle available for digital purchase for $20

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Free Guy is awful

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Junkie Disease posted:

Free Guy is awful

It is really, really bad. Wasn't expecting much, just something to turn my mind off to while sitting next to my wife. Free Guy fell well short of that expectation.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Chris James 2 posted:

Not streaming (Paramount+ also has missing episodes) but Vudu has the complete series bundle available for digital purchase for $20

Oh snap thanks, was wondering the same thing as OP.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I liked free guy lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It was bad, but it was fun bad vs bad bad

I can't believe how many people said it was awesome though. It was like a C- movie at best.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Great writing, players in an MMO were constantly surprised at abilities and power ups in their own game, even when it was cross promotional drek like Star wars and Fortnite. Just Oscar material

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the new Reno 911 on The Roku Channel is good. pretty much just the same as always but with more of a "gently caress the police" attitude

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Finished "Peacemaker".

Add this to my very short list of "superhero stuff I genuinely enjoyed".

I even thought the budget Deadpool was good.

Junkie Disease posted:

Free Guy is awful

I refuse to watch the film because of the title. NOBODY says or has said "Free Guy". It's always "Extra Life" or something similar.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Finished "Peacemaker".

Add this to my very short list of "superhero stuff I genuinely enjoyed".

I even thought the budget Deadpool was good.

I refuse to watch the film because of the title. NOBODY says or has said "Free Guy". It's always "Extra Life" or something similar.

It's just great writing

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

I didn't even realize this is what the title was referring to until your post lol

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Junkie Disease posted:

It's just great writing

Something that almost every superhero film lacks.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Papercut posted:

I didn't even realize this is what the title was referring to until your post lol

Christ neither did I. Thats awful.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Free Guy feels like it was written by a machine.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 26, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is that actually what the title is supposed to mean? Jesus. I never thought that before or after watching it.

It's kind of a baffling title for a movie. It's not a fun play on words or video game tropes and it doesn't invoke any of the themes going on in his movie. he's just a character named guy who becomes free.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Again from writer of the smash hit Ready Player One

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Polygon actually tracked down the etymology and yeah it was a regularly used term. 40 years ago when you scored high enough to get a free play in Pac Man.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Is that actually what the title is supposed to mean? Jesus. I never thought that before or after watching it.

It's kind of a baffling title for a movie. It's not a fun play on words or video game tropes and it doesn't invoke any of the themes going on in his movie. he's just a character named guy who becomes free.

It was not uncommon in the 80s for people getting a 1-up in Mario to call it a "free guy."

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

It seems like they had a bunch of ideas for action scenes left over from Ready Player One and couldn't figure out a believable setting for the action scenes they wanted to use, so they made Free Guy. There's some individual parts that are fun in a vacuum and even some neat ideas, but they don't connect very well. It's like a movie version of an internet meme.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have no recollection of ever hearing that but based on searching the video game magazine collection on archive.org it seems like it's legit:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Inspector Hound posted:

It seems like they had a bunch of ideas for action scenes left over from Ready Player One and couldn't figure out a believable setting for the action scenes they wanted to use, so they made Free Guy. There's some individual parts that are fun in a vacuum and even some neat ideas, but they don't connect very well. It's like a movie version of an internet meme.

It was written by the dude that WB had writing a Matrix sequel before Lana came back on board and jettisoned his script. I don't think it's a big stretch to guess it's a repurposed story concept that Reynolds turned the Wacky Dial up on.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Just finished Barry on HBO, and wow, such an incredible series. Stephen Root is amazing but so is the entire cast. NoHo Hank might be my favorite character in any show currently.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

ryan reynolds has never been funny

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Noho Hank deserves a spin-off.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

God Hole posted:

2 Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place was funny :colbert:

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

God Hole posted:

If you genuinely can't enjoy Deadpool, i feel bad for you.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

No gamer gives a poo poo about pre-crash gaming. It’s all lame as gently caress compared to what came after. You don’t see gamers going Gaga about early 80s arcade releases on NSO or similar services.

Hollywood has this weird fetish toward “the Pac-Man era”.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Polygon actually tracked down the etymology and yeah it was a regularly used term. 40 years ago when you scored high enough to get a free play in Pac Man.

I feel like an old man seeing people not know what ‘free guy’ means.

punk rebel ecks posted:

No gamer gives a poo poo about pre-crash gaming.

This is definitely not true. Retro gaming, even pre-crash stuff, is popular.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I feel like I probably must have actually seen it in the 80s and 90s and just not remembered but as someone who owned an nes I think I just saw 1-up and extra life a lot more

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

mystes posted:

I feel like I probably must have actually seen it in the 80s and 90s and just not remembered but as someone who owned an nes I think I just saw 1-up and extra life a lot more

I cut my teeth on the Atari and had an NES from US release and it was always a 1-up, I've never heard free guy until now

mystes
May 31, 2006

Papercut posted:

I cut my teeth on the Atari and had an NES from US release and it was always a 1-up, I've never heard free guy until now
I don't think the term "1-up" was used (at least in English) prior to Super Mario Bros though so other terms (including extra life, etc.) must have been used between the release of the atari and the release of the NES.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i definitely heard "free guy" a lot in the 80s in New England, but have never heard it anywhere or anytime else

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

This is definitely not true. Retro gaming, even pre-crash stuff, is popular.

Yeah but I think the target audience for Free GUY is modern gamer youth subculture. Like, it's really shooting for people who are into twitch streamers and youtube and poo poo.

So naming it after a phrase that I, a 40 year old who actually played pacman in arcades, along with basically everyone else itt had never heard seems extra weird.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
"Free Guy" is another movie that squanders the opportunity for a zillion jokes about video games that would be funny to both gamers and everyone else, but instead just seems like it was written by someone who only knows about Grand Theft Auto from what they saw on the news and that's about it. I was also surprised at how bad it is.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah but I think the target audience for Free GUY is modern gamer youth subculture.

I don't think that's right. Free Guy strikes me as a movie for the 45+ crowd that only knows about modern gaming and streaming culture from exploitative news reports on how dumb and dangerous the things their kids like are. At the very least it was written by that kind of person.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I don't think that's right. Free Guy strikes me as a movie for the 45+ crowd that only knows about modern gaming and streaming culture from exploitative news reports on how dumb and dangerous the things their kids like are. At the very least it was written by that kind of person.
I assumed this but also lol if they were actually trying to appeal to gamers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

It's always amusing to me despite video games being so huge how the film industry is always "how do you do fellow kids?" with gamers compared to films centered around music, sports, cars, or even tech.

The closest film to getting it right was "Scott Pilgrim vs the World" and even that felt off at times. Just little stuff like Scott saying Final Fantasy III instead of Final Fantasy VI.