Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I liked The Wire a lot better than The Sopranos, but I agree that both are a little overrated and kind of went on for a little too long.

Breaking Bad though is really a great TV show from start to finish, and everybody involved with the show totally deserved all of the awards and accolades they received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Truly. Breaking Bad never went off the rails even once, and there are a lot of other outstanding series that can't make that claim.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Better Call Saul is better than Breaking Bad

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

silence_kit posted:

I liked The Wire a lot better than The Sopranos, but I agree that both are a little overrated and kind of went on for a little too long.

Breaking Bad though is really a great TV show from start to finish, and everybody involved with the show totally deserved all of the awards and accolades they received.

The Sopranos is great but has one clunker every season. A lot of its rep is from trying things that just didn't happen on TV before it.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I enjoy Better Call Saul a lot. I haven't seen the latest season because I am only watching it through a Netflix subscription, but there is no way that that is the case, unless the most recent season is really really excellent.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think we can all agree that Oz is the worst of all prestige television and never would have been a hit if not for the stars of the show - Chris Meloni's dick and butthole

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Sopranos is great but has one clunker every season. A lot of its rep is from trying things that just didn't happen on TV before it.

Maybe it was just my feeling/mood at the time of watching it, but I kind of lost interest in the show in the later seasons.

I have read that people credit The Sopranos for really putting TV at the same level as movies in terms of quality. TV before that was kind of seen as the lesser, lower quality form of entertainment, with a lot of filler.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Anyone who thinks Breaking Bad is better than The Sopranos or Deadwood instantly goes on my "smile and nod when they recommend a TV show and then never watch it" list.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Deadwood was and is a great show but introducing Hearst as the main bad guy for the remainder of the series was a boring choice

I liked the narrative of competing factions in a lawless boom town and didn't appreciate them all coming together like Voltron to fight off Major Dad

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So many actors in The Sopranos are so bad. They just sound like amateurs in most scenes. The main people like Tony, Carmella, Christopher, Dr Melfi, Uncle Junior are all amazing of course. But others like the teen kids or most of the mob characters are just godawful actors.

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous
Recently watched Ed Wood’s “Glen or Glenda”, and honestly that movie rules. Yes, it’s VERY badly outdated and incompetently made, but it’s more compassionate towards trans and genderfluid people than a lot of stuff made after it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's true

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Shibawanko posted:

i liked season 2 because egg beer looked tasty

I was watching s2 shortly before a Tuska festival and drank raw egg in beer every day when woke up hung over. It was just kinda slimy going down, but shocked some people with it so worked out great.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

silence_kit posted:

I enjoy Better Call Saul a lot. I haven't seen the latest season because I am only watching it through a Netflix subscription, but there is no way that that is the case, unless the most recent season is really really excellent.

I like BB more but the most reason season is really really excellent

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If I make it to 70 or whatever and the world doesn't end before that, I'll enjoy watching through Lost, Breaking Bad, Prison Break, Game of Thrones, Deadwood, The Wire, 24, etc. all for the first time.

JK I'd never watch 24 I tried one episode and the protagonist (I'm assumin) was a straight-up fascist.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If I make it to 70 or whatever and the world doesn't end before that, I'll enjoy watching through Lost, Breaking Bad, Prison Break, Game of Thrones, Deadwood, The Wire, 24, etc. all for the first time.

JK I'd never watch 24 I tried one episode and the protagonist (I'm assumin) was a straight-up fascist.

Never seen it but still lollin that a literal United States supreme court justice cited that loving show as to why torture is good and cool, actually

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Never seen it but still lollin that a literal United States supreme court justice cited that loving show as to why torture is good and cool, actually

RBG I bet.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Probably. Although really Jack is just completely nuts.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

christmas boots posted:

Probably. Although really Jack is just completely nuts.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I don't think fascism is for the sane.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jack Bauer gets the job done while all the liberals shake their heads and clutch their pearls and ask each other”whatever are we to do with this extremely competent man who saves the world on a weekly basis”

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Jack Bauer gets the job done while all the liberals shake their heads and clutch their pearls and ask each other”whatever are we to do with this extremely competent man who saves the world on a weekly basis”

What was the plot against the world?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The Shield is better than breaking bad, better call saul, and the wire. The only reason it isn't as well regarded is because of timing and the network it was on.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It hasn't aged well at all. Have you seen it recently? It tries to be so edgy. With Kid Rock.

I remember some of the guest actors b eing incredible like Forest Whitaker.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What was the plot against the world?

Nuclear weapons

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I assume. I never watched the show.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Mu Zeta posted:

It hasn't aged well at all. Have you seen it recently? It tries to be so edgy. With Kid Rock.

I remember some of the guest actors b eing incredible like Forest Whitaker.

I've watched it like 20 times. And that was in the first episode, but regardless, please do not disparage kid rock.

and it only seems like it was trying to be edgy in hindsight. If they had AMC's budget or HBO's it could have been better, but they did it all first and in my opinion better.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

oldpainless posted:

Nuclear weapons

I think it covered most of the big ones. Hostages, assassinations, nerve gas one time, etc

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

christmas boots posted:

I think it covered most of the big ones. Hostages, assassinations, nerve gas one time, etc

How does the nerve gas cross oceans?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

3D Megadoodoo posted:

How does the nerve gas cross oceans?

I think it was terrorists mostly

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Opinion: no-one should watch more than 7 hours of TV a week.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Jerry you reveal your age, it's not TV anymore, I don't even own a TV.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The Shield is better than breaking bad, better call saul, and the wire. The only reason it isn't as well regarded is because of timing and the network it was on.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I've watched it like 20 times. And that was in the first episode, but regardless, please do not disparage kid rock.

and it only seems like it was trying to be edgy in hindsight. If they had AMC's budget or HBO's it could have been better, but they did it all first and in my opinion better.

The Shield is good but as someone who has watched it and all those it's like, as good? Also why are you watching a show 20 times, that time could be spent better eating rear end.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
It's 2022. People posting online should be free to post but all sites should score based on simple readability. If you want your post read, learn your loving primary language; otherwise, expect the defaults to filter your post into oblivion.

The first spell checker was built more than 60 years ago. The first grammar checkers for basic punctuation and such are nearly 50 years old. There is no excuse.

All sites would drive improvements to general literacy.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The relatively large amount of people leaving California for other states is probably a good thing

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My plan is to move to texas when I retire but if California houses ever become cheaper I'd move back

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

silence_kit posted:

I struggled through, like, three seasons of Breaking Bad because of how great everyone says it is, before allowing myself to admit that, actually, it's loving terrible. Every reason anyone has ever given for why it's good is objectively wrong. It is a bad and dumb show that only gets worse as it goes on.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mu Zeta posted:

My plan is to move to texas when I retire but if California houses ever become cheaper I'd move back

Texas will accept you on the condition that you are neither liberal tech bro driving up prices or yeehawboo chud who will be pissed that the vietnamese make the best food in Houston.

Seriously, the only good outcome of the Vietnam War was adding vietnamese to the already incredible mix of cuisines on the gulf coast.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

3D Megadoodoo posted:

24 was a decently made show with a good gimmick that had a colossal amount of luck in coming out just after 9/11.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i don't want to just outright call any popular tv shows bad because i'm just not the target audience for most of them, i enjoyed the first seasons of sopranos and breaking bad and game of thrones so i think they are good tv shows, i just never really care much after a dozen episodes

the last tv show that filled me with a sense of mystery and longing to know more was Lost, that poo poo was crack, fans forums, wikipedia dives, crazy theories but it kinda ruined all future tv shows for me - i just rarely give a poo poo about mystery or overarching narrative or plot of what happens to fictional characters anymore because the satisfying payoffs arn't usually there

Squid Game for example was a brilliant and entertaining series but the ending felt kinda disappointing - then again it only lasted 10 episodes so it's not as big a deal

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i don't want to just outright call any popular tv shows bad because i'm just not the target audience for most of them, i enjoyed the first seasons of sopranos and breaking bad and game of thrones so i think they are good tv shows, i just never really care much after a dozen episodes

the last tv show that filled me with a sense of mystery and longing to know more was Lost, that poo poo was crack, fans forums, wikipedia dives, crazy theories but it kinda ruined all future tv shows for me - i just rarely give a poo poo about mystery or overarching narrative or plot of what happens to fictional characters anymore because the satisfying payoffs arn't usually there

Squid Game for example was a brilliant and entertaining series but the ending felt kinda disappointing - then again it only lasted 10 episodes so it's not as big a deal

Modern film and tv have a real problem accepting that stories end.

Our grandchildren are going to be contracting the latest covid variant watching the fifteen elderly spiders-men in the latest disney smash hit.

Take a lesson from Tolkien. He started on a LotR sequel and realized it was poo poo, then just stopped.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 15:16 on Feb 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Texas will accept you on the condition that you are neither liberal tech bro driving up prices or yeehawboo chud who will be pissed that the vietnamese make the best food in Houston.

Seriously, the only good outcome of the Vietnam War was adding vietnamese to the already incredible mix of cuisines on the gulf coast.

And that you're straight, naturally. Your state government is making that crystal clear.