Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Farking Bastage posted:

I love this thing and I think my detail guy is LEGIT. That paint was full of swirls and holograms.

Rich looking AF. drat, the color while this clean is super resembling BMW carbon black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

kronix posted:

The owners seem to love them and they look absolutely great on the road. They're a staple in the B58 groups on Facebook and a lot of the folks who mod BMWs are "upgrading" from M240s to Supras because the chassis is better and it's a more powerful engine from the start. They're starting to be a staple on drag strips too. There's likely going to be a manual version and potentially even one with an S code engine. Toyota seems to be trickling out changes to keep interest up over the models lifetime so anything is possible.

So yeah, people who don't buy them have dumb and irrelevant opinions and don't really matter to Toyota or BMW. In 20 years we'll be hearing about how under appreciated these cars are and they'll be unobtanium on the used market.

But what do I know, I say the same thing about the M3/M4.

Manual? Hello

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Data Graham posted:

Manual? Hello
Manual is only appropriate on period cars such as my 993. On modern cars it is a pointless anachronism (cf LJK Setright on turbos and autos)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

got off on a technicality posted:

Manual is only appropriate on period cars such as my 993. On modern cars it is a pointless anachronism (cf LJK Setright on turbos and autos)

Manuals are great on hot hatches and Miatas. I wouldn't get one on a 400HP lap-time crusher though.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
That car doesn't need a manual. I can barely keep up with it on paddles.

EDIT: I wouldn't enjoy it as much with a manual.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 27, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Manual? Hello

It was always Toyota's plan to bring out the manual (once sales started to flub a bit). I don't remember seeing any reviews of the z4 with a manual but it'll be as good as that one i assume

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Russian Bear posted:

It was always Toyota's plan to bring out the manual (once sales started to flub a bit). I don't remember seeing any reviews of the z4 with a manual but it'll be as good as that one i assume

Don’t think the Z4 is offered with one? I assume it would be the same manual as in the F3X though since that was a B58 with a manual.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
The six-speed in the Z4M was :discourse: Looking around, it looks like it was a similar gearbox to the non-M and the e89 versions, but I don't know how similar. Slightly different model identifiers. Wikipedia lists a 6-speed manual for the G29 version.

And yeah I know modern DCT's or PDK's or even regular automatics are better and faster than a human these days, but it's still fun to drive one.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

The six-speed in the Z4M was :discourse: Looking around, it looks like it was a similar gearbox to the non-M and the e89 versions, but I don't know how similar. Slightly different model identifiers. Wikipedia lists a 6-speed manual for the G29 version.

And yeah I know modern DCT's or PDK's or even regular automatics are better and faster than a human these days, but it's still fun to drive one.

Well, sort of. " A 6-speed manual transmission was made available for only the sDrive 20i from July 2019.[4]"

But they don't make any 20i versions anymore, so you can't get a new one that way. Other than that blip, there hasn't been a manual Z4 option since like 2010 or something. Pretty sure it's all regular auto.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

In retrospect given what’s happened to fuel prices over the years I’m actually glad I wasn’t able to get an M140i back in 2018 when I was changing out of my 118i.

Prices around my area are now the equivalent of $7.84 per US gallon for E10 and $8.74 for E5.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
14 mpg or death.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

TheBacon posted:

Don’t think the Z4 is offered with one? I assume it would be the same manual as in the F3X though since that was a B58 with a manual.

I believe it's offered with the lowest power output version of the engine which isn't sold in the US

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

14 mpg or death.

How is that even possible? My M340 gets like 22 combined with me driving like a complete dumbass in Boston traffic. How can a B58 1 series be that low?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

kronix posted:

How is that even possible? My M340 gets like 22 combined with me driving like a complete dumbass in Boston traffic. How can a B58 1 series be that low?

With a naturally aspirated V8 that rewards you by revving the tits off it.

I get the same with mine.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

kronix posted:

But you repeat yourself!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I get 14 even driving as sedately as humanly possible (not all that sedately) in boston traffic

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

MrLogan posted:

But you repeat yourself!

In many ways I'm better than the average BMW driver in Boston, I don't tailgate, I use turn signals religiously and I slow down for cyclists and pedestrians. However, If you give me any amount of open road I'm going straight to speed limit + 15 as fast as possible with the exhaust in it's loudest setting.

I'm relatively sure my 11 PM drives down a certain 4 line divided road with a very large center median in the southwest part of the city has me marked for death by certain residents although i haven't seen the complaints come up on Nextdoor (yet).

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

kronix posted:

Its standard MPG for the S55 being nice to it :blastu:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

kronix posted:

I believe it's offered with the lowest power output version of the engine which isn't sold in the US

Which I wouldn't assume is the same they would pair with the B58 but maybe?

Somewhat Heroic posted:

With a naturally aspirated V8 that rewards you by revving the tits off it.

I get the same with mine.

As god intended. I am eagerly awaiting when I can do the same

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Crunchy Black posted:

Its standard MPG for the S55 being nice to it :blastu:

Yup, that's my general city mpg. 14-16 mpg 4 lyfe

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
These days I basically just do to and from daycare with the occasional errand. Consistently getting 19mpg with an N55 and stick. It does have the m performance tune, but that's not terribly aggressive.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

TheBacon posted:

Which I wouldn't assume is the same they would pair with the B58 but maybe?

It’s probably going to be the same 6 speed that goes into the base M3 and is going to find itself in the new M2.

If they announce a 450 horsepower M2C with a 6 speed there’s a good chance that’s a long term purchase for me.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I got it up to 20 once, by driving at 100mph for 5 hours straight.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've gotten 26-28mpg on the highway on a few occasions. Definitely can't complain about that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

In an ideal world I'd find a salvage Elise and get aftermarket Exige clams, do a K24a swap, suspension, and be under $40K. But I don't think that's remotely possible; a salvage flood title Exige just went through auction for over $30K. I think an ND2 with track mods would be fun but every time I drive the Exige I can't imagine owning anything else.

You don't have PMs so posting this here instead. 2006 Exige with a bad engine along with a totalled 2013 Evora to pull the engine from for $25k but it's been up for several months. If they still have it they might be open to offers and you could sell the Evora to fund a K24 swap. I'd be tempted but I can't do projects for a while.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/546379426588976

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Some driving experience notes on the Supra. Hopefully going a little Clarkson isn't a bannable offense.

When you hit the fun button, (Sport mode:opens flaps, tons of chassis changes, hotter tune, etc) that car is a rolling :troll: It downshifts and rev matches and pops and bangs even when you're just cruising around with it still in auto. In manual mode it's even less subtle.

That coupled with partially disabling the the VDC(Traction mode), makes the Supra a damned handful to keep the reins on. It will let you come to the precipice of becoming viral on TikTok but intervene quicker than human reaction time. I learned that lesson today taking a left into a Publix from a divided 4-lane.

One of the oncoming cars was coming in a lot quicker than I thought so I gave it a healthy 1/2 throttle whack and it instantly rotated about 15 degrees mid turn. By the time I was counter steering, the computer had already corrected the car. The amount of bullshit the Supra allows you to get away with is unbelievable, but it will still intervene at a certain threshold.

There is a mode beyond this and it will warn you profusely if you enable it. I don't think I am a good enough driver to play with that mode on a public road. YMMV.

The relative amount of effort it takes that car to get tail happy is just as surprising as how fast you really are going compared to how fast you think you're going. One angsty pass of a boomer's Trump sticker covered Crown Vic going about 40 in a 55 had me blinking in disbelief that I was traveling at 120 MPH. I think that does it folks :) That car is faster than me.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NitroSpazzz posted:

You don't have PMs so posting this here instead. 2006 Exige with a bad engine along with a totalled 2013 Evora to pull the engine from for $25k but it's been up for several months. If they still have it they might be open to offers and you could sell the Evora to fund a K24 swap. I'd be tempted but I can't do projects for a while.

I messaged this dude like a month ago and never got a reply :smith:

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

NitroSpazzz posted:

They exist! This would be fun. But yes, I am about 15 years off from realistically having time for a project like that. Not depressing at all!

Farking Bastage posted:

Some driving experience notes on the Supra. Hopefully going a little Clarkson isn't a bannable offense.

The relative amount of effort it takes that car to get tail happy is just as surprising as how fast you really are going compared to how fast you think you're going. One angsty pass of a boomer's Trump sticker covered Crown Vic going about 40 in a 55 had me blinking in disbelief that I was traveling at 120 MPH. I think that does it folks :) That car is faster than me.

This sounds a lot like my experience with the Alfa where people that don’t drive a ton of different cars (unlike journalists) are completely blown away by modern performance cars.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anyone know what motor is in the 2016 328i? Wikipedia says the '12 - '15s have the N20 but it makes no mention of the years after that :shrug: Maybe it was ITT, maybe it was a Facebook group but I think someone told me it has the B48 but I can't recall for sure...

Got my FoRS back from the mechanic yesterday... and traction control has unexpectedly come on multiple times while taking some mild corners at very reasonable speeds :sigh: And while CarMax made me a really good offer ~a week ago, when I try to get it appraised again they're telling me to bring it in in person.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 2, 2022

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Sab669 posted:

Anyone know what motor is in the 2016 328i? Wikipedia says the '12 - '15s have the N20 but it makes no mention of the years after that :shrug: Maybe it was ITT, maybe it was a Facebook group but I think someone told me it has the B48 but I can't recall for sure...

I believe if it’s a 28i then it wouldn’t have the B48. The transition was marked by the name change to 330i

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah gently caress, looks like it's still the N20 according to C&D. drat. Found a sick looking Melbourne Red one for a decent price a few hours away from me :(

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Hell yeah, here's hoping my I4 doesn't get jammed up because of the war in Europe

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Godspeed. My Sporty-Three-Forty just barely made it out before they stopped exporting 3's

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Hope it got out before basically everything BMW and VW from the EU got shut down from Leoni shutting down their wire harness plant in SW Ukraine. If they can't reopen the word is 3 months to retool other locations at best.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Godspeed. My Sporty-Three-Forty just barely made it out before they stopped exporting 3's

What color did you end up going with?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Driving Gloves Satin Creme

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Vierzig über dem Limit Greune

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jymmybob posted:

Hope it got out before basically everything BMW and VW from the EU got shut down from Leoni shutting down their wire harness plant in SW Ukraine. If they can't reopen the word is 3 months to retool other locations at best.

Sounds about right, sadly

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLftHNfqbzo

Hope it wasn't one of yours :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument