Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

fits my needs posted:

lol, the modern john mccain of india

I haven't seen any bollywood adaptations so I don't know what he is talking about. The pilot was mostly talking about how the pakistani captors had treated him with respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Tankbuster posted:

Hey, I have to live with those people. Just absolute bloodthirsty assholes until modi wants to privatize their cushy government jobs. They wanted to roll in tanks to crush farmers.

modi and his supporters suck but also gently caress you

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Ghosts can't fly high enough to fight modern combat aircraft.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1497647524596830209

What's gonna happen if Russia gets cut off from SWIFT? The logged on twitter experts either think it'll make Putin give up, destroy the world economy, or start a nuclear war, so I am not very sure how to feel about this

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

What if the ghost of kyiv is a woman?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Good Citizen posted:

modi and his supporters suck but also gently caress you

Grow up. These assholes were on the street in 2011 ending corruption(tm) and now tying themselves in knots trying to do ethnic cleansing in a way that won't stop them from leaving India.

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer
that video is incredible because if you play DCS you can spot it right away, but even if you don't, it's obvious that the "camera" is someone panning with a mouse

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

the real ghosts are the friends we lost along the way

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Tankbuster posted:

Grow up. These assholes were on the street in 2011 ending corruption(tm) and now tying themselves in knots trying to do ethnic cleansing in a way that won't stop them from leaving India.

oh in that case slur away

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

stay safe kyiv ghost

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Sinteres posted:

stay safe kyiv ghost

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
what if they shoot him down and he comes back as a ghostplane. the ghost of the ghost of the ukraine

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Ghosted in Kyiv by Chuck Tingle is going to own

Normie Chomsky
Apr 10, 2008

Meow Tse-tung posted:

what if they shoot him down and he comes back as a ghostplane. the ghost of the ghost of the ukraine

someone call up nicholas cage

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

smoobles posted:

What's gonna happen if Russia gets cut off from SWIFT? The logged on twitter experts either think it'll make Putin give up, destroy the world economy, or start a nuclear war, so I am not very sure how to feel about this

seems bad yea lol

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Doranimated/status/1497648548074057730?s=20&t=76B4bjkXKAuWF8Ntw2XmSw

huh lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Danann posted:

Last time I checked my OSINT follows, Kharkiv was a bloodbath and there were boast pics and videos of destroyed/abandoned Russian vehicles including at locations where they have made progress in day 1. There's also apparently rocket artillery and clusters being thrown about in the area from the Russians too and there were heavy artillery and TOS-1s being moved down the road towards Kharkiv from Belgorod.

So the east and northeast seems to be pretty active.

Northwest and south? :iiam:

The East and Northeast are the least important sectors for this conflict though, which again raises the problem of them being caught out of position despite (allegedly) advanced warning.

Do you know what I mean? The separatists didn’t require mechanized brigades committed to their sector if the Ukrainian Army was just defending. If Kiev was left open because they were there, and their peacetime bases are where the Russians actually came through, why were they in Kharkov?

I mean, operations are full of these errors, you’re always caught out of place a little, but with advanced warning a misdeployment that leaves the capital open in two directions is a major misstep for a nation getting US support

Idk a Guards Tank Brigade 3 hours down the road from Kiev would have been useful when it still mattered.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/transscribe/status/1497607160401965063

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

:cripes:

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

smoobles posted:

He'll take over Ukraine and the world economy will be hosed.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Rebroadcasting this to northern Ireland for funsies

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Yudo posted:

Tank crew will not just pop out because they risk getting smoked, and they can't see poo poo anyways. Supporting tanks with infantry in cities is critical as attacks can come from above.

the tank crew will simply cut you in half with a coaxial machine gun

i also like how a lot of modern discourse about tanks fails to recognize how loving fast both a modern tank itself is and how fast turrets can turn now

any civilian trying to seriously fight a tank is going to die full stop. it's a joke

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Frosted Flake posted:

The East and Northeast are the least important sectors for this conflict though, which again raises the problem of them being caught out of position despite (allegedly) advanced warning.

Do you know what I mean? The separatists didn’t require mechanized brigades committed to their sector if the Ukrainian Army was just defending. If Kiev was left open because they were there, and their peacetime bases are where the Russians actually came through, why were they in Kharkov?

I mean, operations are full of these errors, you’re always caught out of place a little, but with advanced warning a misdeployment that leaves the capital open in two directions is a major misstep for a nation getting US support

Idk a Guards Tank Brigade 3 hours down the road from Kiev would have been useful when it still mattered.

No one's got any clue what's going on dude, least of all people on Twitter or goons

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

smoobles posted:

The end of dollar hegemony

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

smoobles posted:

I think some of the countries are saying they're okay with "targetted" removal. also has the US signed on? likely what happens is not much because no one in the EU or the US really wants to cripple the world economy over Ukraine

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Mr Hootington posted:

The end of dollar hegemony

yeah if the US wasn't going to sanction Russian oil I don't think they're going to do this

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
what are the odds of Zelensky making it out of this still in power? Supposedly regime change isn't high on the list of goals for Russia, but that statement to the Ukrainian armed forces about how "it would be easier to deal with you instead :wink:" would suggest otherwise. Even if he made it past negotiations without being captured or bombed, I'm assuming many of the ultranationalists would have a bone to pick with him immediately afterwards, but I have no idea how popular he'd remain with the general population.

Dude made some dumb calls before and during the invasion but I can't imagine things getting much better for the average Ukrainian under any other shmuck, since at this moment the only alternatives seem to be the militias

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/WW32022/status/1497568499467796480?s=20&t=SQt8_-bIODw_p46ii0jyDQ

lol this is the first thread I've seen push back on the "saboteur" narrative. most of the comments are of course calling for the swift execution of the alleged Russian infiltrators, but a few people are suspicious.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Kicking Russia put of swift is only eclipsed by dropping a nuke in how stupid it would be.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

tmfc posted:

someone post a succinct debunking of the existence of the ghost of kyiv thanks

ghost dont exist

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/CathyReisenwitz/status/1497595545715724288

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

SexyBlindfold posted:

what are the odds of Zelensky making it out of this still in power? Supposedly regime change isn't high on the list of goals for Russia, but that statement to the Ukrainian armed forces about how "it would be easier to deal with you instead :wink:" would suggest otherwise. Even if he made it past negotiations without being captured or bombed, I'm assuming many of the ultranationalists would have a bone to pick with him immediately afterwards, but I have no idea how popular he'd remain with the general population.

Dude made some dumb calls before and during the invasion but I can't imagine things getting much better for the average Ukrainian under any other shmuck, since at this moment the only alternatives seem to be the militias

I think he'll make it out alive probably but he's hosed politically

also I see capital letters in your post what gives

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Mr Hootington posted:

Kicking Russia put of swift is only eclipsed by dropping a nuke in how stupid it would be.

What gets nuked first?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/1497643474727829505

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

DesertIslandHermit posted:

He'll take over Ukraine and the world economy will be hosed.

Sounds worth it

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

thanks 4 ur thoughts, Cathy

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

blue check moment

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

smoobles posted:

He won't be giving up, but he will probably want to end this faster. Which means more flattening.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Just send Apartheid Clyde over to Kiev and give him a rifle. He'll be more productive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Danann posted:

We're going back to the times where our main idea of how the Slavic Hordes Soviets Russians fight is informed by people who lost a war and is now compounded by people just yelling at anyone who takes Russian sources seriously as pro-Putinists who lust for the death of the free world or something.

Trying to discern the history of this is going to require learning Russian and reading straight from the primary sources and archives because one needs to prove beyond the benefit of doubt that their Russian sources aren't lying while anything tweeted by the Ukrainian MOD is taken as fact absolutely.

The professional literature keeps it straight, because that’s the business. If I wrote a brief that said “Russian artillery is feeble, rounds only land on orphanages” and then a Canadian Brigade got lit up like a Christmas tree, I would feel bad / get fired.

On the other hand, as you saw with the Georgia papers, nobody actually reads/learns from this, even in the military because the political “cost” is too high or something?