Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
My correction is corrected.

Nah, I was just taking an L on my speculation immediately being met with "I suppose it's not there yet". I didn't think it was going to be abandoned. (Also as someone in the middle of the trilogy right now: thanks for the hard work.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://youtu.be/YVhbUvmWacU

Release Date Sept 27

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
There's also an AMA with Durante happening on reddit.com/r/Games in ~2 hours.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
A Legend of Heroes fan tribute album dropped a few days ago. Free download in FLAC format in the description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muZuKy84sso

Track List and [Creator]:

quote:

Part I
Opening (Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes II) [Justin Thornburgh]
Looking Up at the Sky [Leila "Woofle" Wilson]
Like a Whirlwind [Aoki Katsumata]
Pinch (Kuro no Kiseki) [Rammy ft. Kestrelgirl]
Vanguard Gale [Zohar Emulator ft. Justin Thornburgh, R-Man]
Scene of a Street Corner [Justin Thornburgh]
Ainsel [Philip Saguil]
Sophisticated Fight [Eiichiro Yanagi]
The Shadow of Numeros [Joshua (Ristar)]
Nihilistic Idol [Yourvinished ft. Rammy]
A Truth to Seize [Michael (MB) ft. William, Chromatic Apparatus, Philip Saguil]
The Azure Arbitrator [GaMetal]

Part II
Vermilion Bonds [clerian]
Battle (Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes) [Yuuji Takase]
For Those Who Interfere, No Mercy [R-Man]
A Faint Glitter of Light [Sheldon Kreger ft. Gisha Djordjevic]
The Hermit's Garden [ViRiX Dreamcore ft. Matthew Jamison]
Lapis [Philip Saguil]
One Who Blocks the Way [Joshua (Ristar)]
Demonic Drive [Michael (MB) ft. Sheldon Kreger, Finn Baulch, Philip Saguil]
Neargead Castle [Philip Saguil, R-Man, Justin Thornburgh, Rammy]
The Final Choice [Justin Thornburgh]
Resist the Demise [+TEK]

Part III
Little Heroes -Prelude- [Recca (not credited in video), Philip Saguil]
Battle (Kuro no Kiseki) [Philip Saguil ft. R-Man]
Skies of a Strange Land [Thoraxes ft. Philip Saguil]
Blue Destination [Tee-vee]
Primal Ground [Philip Saguil ft. Justin Thornburgh, R-Man]
Hide and Seek by Myself [Aoki Katsumata]
Before the Dawn [YourVinished]
Ancient Makes [Justin Thornburgh ft. Johnny Rabb]
Central Tower "Axis Pillar" [Zoomlight (Chimeratio and Cryptovolans)]
The Merciless Savior -Faceless- [Justin Thornburgh ft. William, Chromatic Apparatus, Zohar Emulator, Bobby, Psamathes, R-Man]
Little Heroes [TENMON]
Game Over -Postlude- [Philip Saguil]

I don't have the link to the Reddit AMA itself, but there's a [url=https://steamcommunity.com/app/1668510/discussions/0/3182361055545523009/]thread on the Steam forums summarizing the Durante AMA[/url].

quote:

"I can confirm that we are doing treasure chest messages, though I'm uncertain at this point if they will be the same as in the Geofront releases."

Surprise bonus screenshot time!! https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/943219339576872980/945028395216023663/unknown.png

"we reverse-engineered / built a toolchain for editing the map geometry so we can now fix some geometry issue that have been in every version of the games since their original PSP releases.

We're also adding some UI features/options (such as scaling of some elements) to make it better fit with being played on a large PC screen or small Switch display. And things like fading of UI elements based on full health etc."

When asked about including the best assets from the various releases he stated this:

"If you are referring to the Joyoland releases, then yes, absolutely. Though we plan to go beyond that in several aspects.

We want the quality of the assets in our releases to be a superset of every previous release ever made, at a minimum. Actually tracking all of that down, figuring out the history of all assets, determining the original artistic intent, discussing whether something is a bug or a deliberate change, and deciding what is actually the best version and so on is part of the "semi-archeological task" I mentioned in the OP - and it's a pretty huge task ;)"

"The texture situation is really complicated. PSP has the original artistic intent, the older PC release has some re-drawn higher quality map textures but sometimes they are a bit artistically different, the character and monster sprites are higher-detail but dithered, the KAI version mostly use PSP upscales for map textures and character sprites but have the highest-quality UI art.

And yes, if you get the impression that we spent a ton of time looking into these things you would be right ;)

Our intention is for our releases to have the best of everything (and improved beyond that where feasible, e.g. removing dithering) while staying artistically close to the PSP versions whenever there is a choice to be made."

When asked about what QoL features Geofront added that they'll also be including:

"I can't really disclose that because it's in flux depending on how much we can get done. That said, the goal is everything.

I can already confirm a few QoL features that are in which I don't think Geofront had, so yes, there will be some:

- Configurable turbo factors for battle and exploration

- UI scaling

- Dynamic UI hiding depending on character state (e.g. HP etc)

Absolutely, there will be Turbo mode, and with the configurability that you expect from PH3 releases (i,e, separate configurable factors for battle and exploration modes).

We do not directly use Geofront (as far as I am currently aware of), but we are aiming to match the feature set of those releases of course.

We are aiming for our releases to put the question of which version is best to rest permanently, though it is a somewhat daunting prospect given the number of releases, all the differences, and especially the amount of effort and care Geofront put into their work.

Also, Steam Deck verified at launch is the plan!"

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I don't have the link to the Reddit AMA itself
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/t58f6i/im_peter_durante_thoman_former_modder_and_cto_of/

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

A Legend of Heroes fan tribute album dropped a few days ago. Free download in FLAC format in the description.

Listened to it a couple days ago. Looking Up at the Sky was pretty great.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
One thing I hope they don't forget to implement is the ability to skip arts and team rush animations. Azure allowed you to skip them (in fact, skipping them was pretty much necessary in order to get maximum DP at one point), but Zero only allowed you to skip S-crafts and you had to turbo through the rest.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Erpy posted:

(in fact, skipping them was pretty much necessary in order to get maximum DP at one point)
One of the toughest DP requirements in the series, imho

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So I’m still playing through CS3 and got to the end of Chapter 3

- Musse to me is like the Anti-Kloe, down to the hair extensions, because while Kloe hid her heritage out of fear, Musse was hiding so she can slither in the shadows to stab her Uncle in the back in the most exquisite way possible while everyone claps at the backstabbing. And even Ballad is exactly as bad as Duanne, but there wasn’t an Estelle to beat humility into him or a Kloe to believe in his goodness for him to kind of become a better person.

- I really came to love Aurelia from the moment she flew in on her airship to act as the “Leader.” From demolishing Cryptics, accepting her part in North Ambra’s annexation and the Jaegers hatred for her, and finally defeating The Steel Maiden with nothing but pure talent alone. :allears:

- I need to go back and read the entire Red Moon Rose books cause like Carnelia it looks like that book is a work of non fiction. And assuming Rose is also the leader of the Hexen Clan, Emma’s ‘grandmother,’ and “split her power among her people” does this make Emma half vampire?

- I’m apparently an idiot cause I didn’t make the George Nome -> G.Nome connection so the surprise at the end threw me for a loop. Way back when I started with CS1, I thought George was working with Crow in the Imperial Liberation Front. Turns out I was half right. And drat Towa, that’s 2/4 friends who turned out to be working for the enemy :smith:. And I guess this is the start of “no one dies in Trials” since I don’t believe for a second Angie gets shot and killed here. She’s probably out of commission for the rest of CS3, which is bad enough for everyone.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I finished CS3 yesterday and I think I need to take a break from playing these games back to back. It was so much longer than the other games. Chapter 2 was a little rough not having played the Crossbell games, but it was easy enough to follow without that (and will be fun to revisit when I have played them).

I do like how they changed up the new game plus options. It will make it a lot less painful to do everything without playing a third time.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

SgtSteel91 posted:

- I need to go back and read the entire Red Moon Rose books cause like Carnelia it looks like that book is a work of non fiction. And assuming Rose is also the leader of the Hexen Clan, Emma’s ‘grandmother,’ and “split her power among her people” does this make Emma half vampire?

They're not blood-related. Just like Vita is "somewhat like a sister" to Emma, Rose is "somewhat like a grandmother" to Emma and Vita.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/kitsune547/status/1506023137489608712

gently caress yesss I've been following the translation progress these past few weeks and it's been so exciting seeing the updates and it's almost done gently caress yes I can't wait

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Lmao Aurelia having such precise eyesight that it gets annoying for her to see specs of dust in front of her face so she had glasses specifically made to give her worse vision. You’re so OP :allears:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
With Aurelia she's so......much that it loops from dumb to hilarious. Other cast members that try to be as OP but come up short in one way or another tend to be the ones that stuck out the most to me in a bad way.

Aurelia was fantastic, put her in every game in Falcom just say "yeah I could handle this but yknow..."

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Aurelia hits all the same notes that Cassius Bright did back in Sky

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Shinjobi posted:

With Aurelia she's so......much that it loops from dumb to hilarious. Other cast members that try to be as OP but come up short in one way or another tend to be the ones that stuck out the most to me in a bad way.

Aurelia was fantastic, put her in every game in Falcom just say "yeah I could handle this but yknow..."

My favorite part in CS3 was the boss fight with her as a party member. Instead of the usual boss standard boss fight it was all around buffing / keeping Aurelia alive because she outdamages your entire party.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/tatsunoko_pro/status/1507507636912242690?s=20&t=xa8SOS7GMla20JiYvcAmAg

Protag of the Cold Steel anime

Looks like she's going to be a Northern Jaeger, which makes things interesting

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

I can't believe my town burning murderer for hire is this cute!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Yeeeah, having the first promo image be a butt shot doesn't bode very well for this...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bodes pretty well to me

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/Falcom/comments/toouf5/falcom_40th_anniversary_popularity_poll_results/

Falcom 40th Anniversary Popularity Poll, not including the most recent Trails game

Surprises: Rean took the top spot, Loewe climbed ranks

Disappointments: Randy and Laura got dropped from the top 20

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 27, 2022

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
My man Olivier. :discourse:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

SgtSteel91 posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Falcom/comments/toouf5/falcom_40th_anniversary_popularity_poll_results/

Falcom 40th Anniversary Popularity Poll, not including the most recent Trails game

Surprises: Rean took the top spot, Loewe climbed ranks

Disappointments: Randy and Laura got dropped from the top 20

Emma is that high? Even after her god awful CS4 bonding event? Good lord.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Loewe climbing ranks is truly impressive given his current state.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dang didn’t realise how popular Hummel was. He’s cool though so I’m glad for it.

hosed up Dogi didn’t make the top 20. I assume that must be an error of some kind.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Veryslightlymad posted:

Emma is that high? Even after her god awful CS4 bonding event? Good lord.

Emma is Saori Hayami

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I am flabbergasted that Crow is 4th.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shonen rivals are badass.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Tae posted:

Emma is Saori Hayami

How does a good VA help a character out when their main flaw is they refuse to ever say anything important?

Or funny for that matter? Emma's got to be one of the least amusing characters in the cast.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Veryslightlymad posted:

How does a good VA help a character out when their main flaw is they refuse to ever say anything important?

Or funny for that matter? Emma's got to be one of the least amusing characters in the cast.

1. People are weird.
2. Emma did a weird come from behind victory in CS4 from least interesting Class VII member, to about the middle. Maybe it continues in Reverie and she becomes top tier.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Veryslightlymad posted:

Japanese people hugely fixate on voice actors; they will send lots of money pulling gacha characters based on a VA.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like Emma more than most of the cast. She has a lot of neat scenes, feels actually connected to the plot, and feel like someone who has an actual relationship with Rean that isn't weirdly inappropriate

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

Surprises: Rean took the top spot

Why is that a surprise? I mean yeah it's obviously a Wrong Opinion, but it's a pretty common one even in this very thread.

Seriously hosed up that Olivier's not even in the top ten.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Irony.or.Death posted:

Seriously hosed up that Olivier's not even in the top ten.

I'm pleasantly surprised he made it as high as he did. For the Japanese, Olivier hasn't been a prominent character in the franchise in 15 years. He had a grand total of 5 minutes of screentime in Ao. In the Cold Steel games he is a background character, and when he does appear he is mostly subdued and serious, and only occasionally makes a funny or an obscene line. 3rd set him up as leading the charge against Osborne, but in the Cold Steel games he mostly just sits around in the background doing nothing, while Rean struggles against Osborne for much of the series. He became a deadweight character whose subplot had been dropped. CS3's ending was the best thing that had happened to him since 3rd, making him contribute to the narrative in a meaningful way. CS4 might have also helped by giving him a decent sendoff, becoming the one and only character in the franchise to have moved on to the next stage of his life while everyone else who started as a bachelor has remained as such.

Most of the other characters on the list have had more screentime in recent years, and are youthful waifus/husbandos, which I'd imagine would do well with the audience that keeps up with the franchise and participates in polls nowadays. Only two people on that list are older than 30 and those two had only just recently became so with the progression of the timeline to the year 1208 as of the latest game. The only real oddity is Loewe making the list, who hasn't made an appearance in 16 years and has had less screentime than anyone else on the list.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Loewe was hugely relevant to the first three games and is a dreamy, emotionally broken, silver haired swordsman voiced by Hikaru Midorikawa

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ImpAtom posted:

I like Emma more than most of the cast. She has a lot of neat scenes, feels actually connected to the plot, and feel like someone who has an actual relationship with Rean that isn't weirdly inappropriate

Yeah, Emma's great.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
I really liked Emma's scenes in CS4 with her trying to fix rean with mind magic and almost accidentally getting herself killed and the subsequent stuff where she admitted how she hosed up and walked back from it.

I liked those scenes so much I almost wavered about who to take on The Final Date. But in the end Towa is the OTP and I'll fight anyone that disagrees.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sighing as I unsheathe Laura's sword.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Sighing as I unsheathe Laura's sword.

Laura deserves better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Lord Bob posted:

I really liked Emma's scenes in CS4 with her trying to fix rean with mind magic and almost accidentally getting herself killed and the subsequent stuff where she admitted how she hosed up and walked back from it.

I liked those scenes so much I almost wavered about who to take on The Final Date. But in the end Towa is the OTP and I'll fight anyone that disagrees.

Wild. This is the scene that made me stop thinking of Emma as a potential love interest and start seriously questioning if Emma was even someone Rean should consider as a friend. The apology gave her a little bit of a leash, but... no, never, ever ever a romantic option after that. I get her intentions and all, but after spending so long with Rean, it should be obvious to anyone remotely close to him, that it was the absolute last thing he would have endorsed or wanted. I lost a ton of respect for Emma there.