Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

MadJackal posted:

Meanwhile NATO just guaranteed its existence for another generation or two and gets to put some of its giant pile of Russian-killers to use for field testing.

Easily the biggest gently caress up in all of this. He’s chosen a weird path

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

the popes toes posted:

Since this has such a global impact, it feels strange there isn't more Russian western consumption dip and PR comms. Even the sovs tried. Not even trying seems different.

It's weird. Like the only marginally pro-Russian messaging I've seen is from Trump and CSPAM.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Reposting from GBS, Ramzan Kadyrov speaks out

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It looks like the NATO supplied anti-tank missiles are to Ukraine what American supplied Stingers were to Afghanistan.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

the popes toes posted:

Since this has such a global impact, it feels strange there isn't more Russian western consumption dip and PR comms. Even the sovs tried. Not even trying seems different.

I'm a little surprised as well. There's clearly a small, but vocal pro-Putin group of fake leftists in the West who are receptive to Russian propaganda. Putin has usually been pretty good about exploiting division in the West, yet now he seems to be unifying almost everybody against him.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Checking financial numbers (mind you, we're not quite in the big sanction territory yet):

EUR:RUB exchange rate

Rouble-based Russian MOEX index

Dollar-based Russian IRTS index

I'm not an economist, but this doesn't look promising.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

steinrokkan posted:

Or the first war Deep Fake?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

steinrokkan posted:

Google Translate says the last line of the tweet says “We screwed up.”

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pablo Bluth posted:

Or the first war Deep Fake?

looks like it, but its funny

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

MadJackal posted:

Meanwhile NATO just guaranteed its existence for another generation or two and gets to put some of its giant pile of Russian-killers to use for field testing.

Possibly. This is kind of off-topic, and I'm not American and have no profound knowledge on the topic, but could a pro-Russian/anti-NATO President of the United States successfully withdraw the USA from NATO by his or herself?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

looks like it, but its funny

Ye, the audio doesnt match the lip movement at all

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/Bundeskanzler/status/1497638225200001029?cxt=HHwWisC98f2B18gpAAAA

Scurrying behind Poland and France reaching for their coat tails must be fun

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

My GF's brother was able to reach Poland after a day at the border. Ukraine border guards were furious when they saw a Belarusian passport, threatened to shoot them, threatened to send them to Belarusian border to get killed by their own. Ultimately had to bribe them to be allowed into Poland in peace.

E: Kadyrov video is so unexpected I am suspecting neural net or such

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Mr. Apollo posted:

Google Translate says the last line of the tweet says “We screwed up.”

One of his top generals reportedly got got during an attack on Hostomel to retake the airport. That might shake your resolve some

https://twitter.com/sapitonmix/status/1497661564668764161?t=Gn1zCznfEoK8V2SNGwAufw&s=19

Ukrainian villagers are standing in front of tanks daring Russians to run them over. I wouldn't wanna be there either

https://twitter.com/tanjamaier17/status/1497657141422968836?t=yr3egoDfi4y4H5o8e5S7Pw&s=19

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

steinrokkan posted:

Who is this?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Liveblog for those looking to catch up with updates from Ukrainian side:
https://kyivindependent.com/national/russias-war-on-ukraine-where-fighting-is-on-now-feb-26-live-updates/

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Checking financial numbers (mind you, we're not quite in the big sanction territory yet):

EUR:RUB exchange rate

Rouble-based Russian MOEX index

Dollar-based Russian IRTS index

I'm not an economist, but this doesn't look promising.

Not an expert either, but when your curve is anti-parallel to the axis that is in values of good things it's usually at least sub-optimal

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Zhanism posted:

Who is this?

Chechen head of state - for the moment

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Zhanism posted:

Who is this?
You know M. Bison from the cool Street FIghter movie with Raul Julia? That's basically him

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

steinrokkan posted:

The video is clearly cut to create the wrong impression. He says that the looters in Ukraine are heavily armed, and that Chechens don't want to fight regular Ukrainians (but want to fight the looters).

ahmini
May 5, 2009

Fabulous Knight posted:

Possibly. This is kind of off-topic, and I'm not American and have no profound knowledge on the topic, but could a pro-Russian/anti-NATO President of the United States successfully withdraw the USA from NATO by his or herself?

They don’t need to. Just refuse to honour article 5 when Russia fucks with the Baltics and NATO is dead.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Zhanism posted:

Who is this?

That’s Steinrokken.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Zhanism posted:

Who is this?

Kadyrov is the batshit insane dude Putin has in charge of Chechnya.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Zhanism posted:

Who is this?

Cechen military leader on the Russian side. Not a nice man. At all.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Zhanism posted:

Who is this?

Head of the Chechen Republic, close ally of Putin, one of the most despicable people in the world.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Zhanism posted:

Who is this?

leader of chechnya. Putin lets him do basically whatever he wants as long as he keeps Chechnya part of russia and fights any insurgents. just recently he abducted someone on the other side of the country for poo poo-talking him and was fine. He's an extremely brutal warlord.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1497650174935642116

Video being shared with the claim it's a Russian MI-24, but who knows if it's old video or one of Ukraine's.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

TheRat posted:

Sounds like a guy who should volunteer the jump with the Russian vdv on their next op.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

TheRat posted:

Isn't that the guy who uses a literal gold-plated Desert Eagle to execute political dissidents?

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Carrying on the talk about European/ American volunteers soon potentially flocking to Ukraine support the war effort, If this goes on for a bit longer what are the chances we see Western PMC groups operating in Ukraine to boost their meagre forces and keep this going, likely financed by NATO countries? Putin already no doubt has PMCs operating there already. But can a group like Blackwater/ any other Western PMC start operating in Ukraine without implicating their home country? Would it be seen as enough of an escalation that Putin could claim Nato is attacking him? And is it seen by governments as much different than supplying hundreds of millions of dollars of weapons to Ukraine to kill Russians like the US/ Nato is doing right now?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1497664944023773190?s=20&t=Paqb4c8Fd7Qz4osyH_eNGA

I am just so angry

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

the popes toes posted:

https://twitter.com/Bundeskanzler/status/1497638225200001029?cxt=HHwWisC98f2B18gpAAAA

Scurrying behind Poland and France reaching for their coat tails must be fun

I was told this would be illegal under Germany's constitution.

Beginning to think not all posters are German constitutional scholars...

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Zhanism posted:

Who is this?

It's fake, but Kadyrov is a bond villain among a nation of bond villains. He's the mini-dictator of Chechnya, a restive autonomous republic with a majority Muslim population that tried to break away from Russia in the 90s. He has his own private Islamic militia that keeps control of the region in return for big financial bribes from Putin. The day to day operations of his government are comparable to a Mexican drug cartel in brutality.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Sekenr posted:

My GF's brother was able to reach Poland after a day at the border. Ukraine border guards were furious when they saw a Belarusian passport, threatened to shoot them, threatened to send them to Belarusian border to get killed by their own. Ultimately had to bribe them to be allowed into Poland in peace.

E: Kadyrov video is so unexpected I am suspecting neural net or such

Not an unexpected response but super hosed up from the guard's side given how little agency a person from Belarus has over their gvmt

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zhanism posted:

Who is this?

Ramzan Kadyrov is a warlord Putin keeps on payroll to keep Chechnya pacified. He's running a state within a state, defined by medieval levels of personal power and total lack of accountability, and he's even more corrupt and brutal than Putin, by far. He has a private army as well, which is renowned for being basically the Russian version of the Sardaukar. One of the most vile humans on the planet right now. Recently there was a bit of scandal because he kept sending assassins to kill his personal enemies in the rest of Russia, which was thuggish enough to be embarrassing even for Putin.

This is also why it was widely reported when he supposedly sent troops to Ukraine, because his men have no compulsions about brutalizing the populace.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Isn't that the guy who uses a literal gold-plated Desert Eagle to execute political dissidents?

I think that's Lukashenko's (Belarus' leader) son.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Fabulous Knight posted:

No. They could certainly do a lot to make other members mad, but withdrawing fully would take a act of congress. They could use executive control and discretion to do a lot, or more importantly do basically nothing, but just leaving isn't a stroke of the pen situation.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

ahmini posted:

They don’t need to. Just refuse to honour article 5 when Russia fucks with the Baltics and NATO is dead.

True, but that would be after a Russian assault on the Baltics, after which all bets would kind of be off, and it would carry huge initial risk for Russia. I'm just wondering if that risk could be neutralized beforehand by having a POTUS just withdraw from NATO.

Okay, looks like Congress needs to approve. With so much of the GOP being seemingly pro-Putin and pro-Russia these days and the GOP enjoying such a blatant advantage within the US electoral system I feel like NATO also faces a risk from this angle.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol

https://twitter.com/Reevellp/status/1497663147771150347

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

the popes toes posted:

I've seen two theories on this. I have no idea if either is accurate.

The first is that the war is so generally unpopular even in Russia that all the troll farms are just not participating -- they aren't dumb enough to make anti-war statements but they aren't making pro-war ones either.

The second and probably more likely theory is that the stallout of the invasion has caught Putin so flat-footed that he hasn't given anyone else a propaganda line to pitch yet -- seems like he thought that by now he'd have a puppet government in place to pitch a party line. Instead things are going badly and there's no guidance on how to pitch that so Russian state media and propagandists are defaulting to silence because they don't know what ot say. Can't say we're winning the war because officially it isn't a war; can't say we're defeating the evil enemies because officially they're just misguided allies greeting us as liberators; so who knows what to say?