Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
How do you kill fish? Some don’t glow in Focus, which I assume means they’re not killable, but I’ve ran into a few in rivers that DO glow but my bow shots aren’t doing anything.

And then there’s the fish out in the ocean which show up in the Focus but there’s nowhere to stand even if you could shoot them which makes me think I’m missing a weapon or tool meant for harvesting fish rather than it being a weird bug with my bow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I think people have said you can just pluck them out of the water while swimming if you are fast enough?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Thornmarsh melee pit - I’m not talented enough to manage some of the combos. Is there an accessibility setting to make that easier or bypass or am I stuck on that quest line?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Leathal posted:

How do you kill fish? Some don’t glow in Focus, which I assume means they’re not killable, but I’ve ran into a few in rivers that DO glow but my bow shots aren’t doing anything.

And then there’s the fish out in the ocean which show up in the Focus but there’s nowhere to stand even if you could shoot them which makes me think I’m missing a weapon or tool meant for harvesting fish rather than it being a weird bug with my bow.

You just swim up to them and grab them. It took me a long time to realize.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Yeah, there's not even a little fish-wrangling animation, you just have to dive in and swim after them while mashing the square button until a notification pops up that you've acquired 1 Salmon Bone, lol.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Piquai Souban posted:

Thornmarsh melee pit - I’m not talented enough to manage some of the combos. Is there an accessibility setting to make that easier or bypass or am I stuck on that quest line?

I managed to eventually do this earlier.

for the 2nd one hold r1 at the 4th hit and release it for the "moon slash" thing and immediately start holding r2. Its a really hosed up animation chain and the skills are in no way unique enough looking to easily identify what you just did.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Piquai Souban posted:

The energy surge one gave me a lot of trouble. For the first part you have to wait for the glint on Aloy’s spear to successfully complete the combo. The other thing they don’t tell you is that they then want you to hold R1 (half moon slash) and go immediately into an R2 jump off combo, not hold R1 then hit R1 again. I eventually got it, probably by mistake!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Yeah, learning about holding into another attack was nice though. I really like that about the trials and melee pits.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
How do you increase the number of berries you can carry, I upgraded the pouch but it didn't do anything? Is it a skills? Also I've got like 5 skills right now what is early good skills?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Hollismason posted:

How do you increase the number of berries you can carry, I upgraded the pouch but it didn't do anything? Is it a skills? Also I've got like 5 skills right now what is early good skills?

You’ll eventually be able to hold 14 berries through Survival Tree skills.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Hollismason posted:

Also I've got like 5 skills right now what is early good skills?
Depends on your playstyle, but I focused on Hunter and Survival trees early on, with secondary focus on Infiltrator and Warrior. I don't tend to use traps a lot, but I imagine that Trapper and Infiltrator could be a good combo if you prefer to be more sneaky.

I've also gotten a lot of use out of the Toughened Valor Surge, and you can get that pretty early in the Survival tree.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Done —the tomb— but I’m gonna save talking about it till a full post game write up. I then went to help Drakka find a kid and lmao to infinity at the feeble whiners who complained about the Surprise! here, it was loving awesome and boss as gently caress.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Hollismason posted:

You have active berries+inventory berries. You increase active berries with skills, inventory berries with pouches. You move inventory to active by holding up until you restock.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh that clears it up. Yeah I'm a couple of hours in I'm mostly doing side quests. I've got the Embassy main quest but I haven't done it yet. I kind of enjoy doing all my sidequests because I like getting those green exclamation marks off my screen.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

exquisite tea posted:

Components that you knock off spark on the ground. I've noticed that they can despawn if the machine was over unpathable terrain when you hit them though, which is annoying.

I'm pretty sure the knocked off lootable pieces are physics objects that can be affected by things like "sweeping attacks the thing you're killing is doing" too, I've found dreadwing fangs hundreds of feet away from where I was actually killing it and I'm pretty sure the hunter bow knock-off didn't launch it quite that far

UP AND ADAM posted:

I'm interested to see how reactive the dialogue is when going to places out of story order. The first game had a few unique lines for entering areas early, and this game has really been dedicated to that kind of thing.

I had one memorable moment where after getting the first of the three macguffins but out of the intended-by-level order, I went back to the turn-in point and when I went into the game room that Gaia had opened up, there was a Kotallo voice line that defaulted to Aloy "saying" it instead, complete with lip synching and subtitle association. Similar experience post-macguffin three, missed a dialogue trigger with Alva in the greenhouse, and when I went back solo Aloy helpfully provided both sides of the conversation

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Well, was paranoid about PS4 performance but aside for occassional pop-ins it is seamless enough for me, runs great and steady! Feels even smother than HZD.

Have been procrastinating skill point distribuition so i have like 40 points (lvl 15). What set of skills were most helpful for you early on?

Cant wait to encounter more new machines, absolute coolest so far is the Skydrifter, basal avialans is where its at!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

If there's one complaint I could make about the combat in this game, it's that it almost becomes a little too RPS with regard to elemental effects. Back in Zero Dawn you had machines that were resistant to certain damage types, but there were other things to consider too, like ignitable canisters, tear damage, etc. In Forbidden West elemental vulnerabilities are SO effective that once you know a machine is weak to acid then there's not much incentive to spray them with anything else.

Ya I don't remember Zero Dawn completely but I do remember thinking the impact arrow was good vs everything. The elemental weakness in this game is busted, the enemies get cc'd for so long and elemental explosion have aoe dmg on top of that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Falukorv posted:

Well, was paranoid about PS4 performance but aside for occassional pop-ins it is seamless enough for me, runs great and steady! Feels even smother than HZD.

Have been procrastinating skill point distribuition so i have like 40 points (lvl 15). What set of skills were most helpful for you early on?

Cant wait to encounter more new machines, absolute coolest so far is the Skydrifter, basal avialans is where its at!

Everything in the Hunter tree, max out the Powershot valor surge, enough points in Infiltration for Braced Shot, enough points in melee for Resonator Blasts.

I just finished all the Horizon Kart missions and while I can't say I enjoyed the racing all that much, the ending definitely made up for it!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Oh that clears it up. Yeah I'm a couple of hours in I'm mostly doing side quests. I've got the Embassy main quest but I haven't done it yet. I kind of enjoy doing all my sidequests because I like getting those green exclamation marks off my screen.

You won't be able to do this after the Embassy because some sidequests can be unlocked before story locked things required to complete them, but you can (and should) finish the whole Daunt before the Embassy. Some of the environmental question mark stuff has to wait but all the sidequests are doable.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

exquisite tea posted:

Everything in the Hunter tree, max out the Powershot valor surge, enough points in Infiltration for Braced Shot, enough points in melee for Resonator Blasts.

I just finished all the Horizon Kart missions and while I can't say I enjoyed the racing all that much, the ending definitely made up for it!

Thanks! Just got to Plainsong and what i didnt miss from HZD was hunting all the drat animals for ammo capacity. And im guessing some animals are specific to the different biomes/sections of the map?

I am at a point in the game where blue weapons are starting to show up. In HZD the gap from where you got blue weapons and the first purples could be short. Is it similar in HFW? Just to gauge how much to spend on upgrades. But either way it is time to replace the basic bows in my loadout, time to shop around.

Machine strike is fun, only done 2/3 of the beginners so i still have sets and strategy to really figure out.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 26, 2022

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Only 17 hours in, loving all of it

My biggest issue with the gameplay is that Aloy in the story (as it is currently) wouldn't spend any time learning and playing a board game

(Also would love a Machine Strike app to play on my phone so I'm not hogging the TV, and then just transfer that XP to my game plz)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Hollismason posted:

the skills increase the number of berries in your ready slot (what you actually draw from when healing). upgrading your resource pouch increases the number you can carry in reserve to fill that.

the pop-in mention reminded me of another amusing glitch: during the first big quest on landfall, after being commanded to wear the elisabet clothes, aloy promptly walked back out still wearing her armor for a few seconds before the elisabet suit popped in. gently caress you ceo, try and shoot me, see if i care!

machine loot does show item icons if you run around spamming focus pulse, and i think there's an accessibility option to show those icons and climbing icons always. usually pretty easy to find everything with that.

if you haven't talked to him in a while, the hunter merchant on the west side of the base gets a greatly improved inventory after a point (i think after finishing all three of seeds of the past/broken sky/sea of sands) that has a bunch of purple weapons and outfits--not all of them, but one of each type at least, i think

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Aphrodite posted:

You won't be able to do this after the Embassy because some sidequests can be unlocked before story locked things required to complete them, but you can (and should) finish the whole Daunt before the Embassy. Some of the environmental question mark stuff has to wait but all the sidequests are doable.

Yeah one of the quest said locked until completed the embassy.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Erend in Cradle of Echoes: I’m seeing double here! Four Aloys!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I gotta say, on the one hand I appreciate the post-game world state of "you don't actually have this looming zenith showdown ticking down the clock" while you're playing machine strike and finding eggs, but I really miss how alive the base feels when there's people chilling and chatting every time you walk in and it's replaced with perpetual-life-of-the-party sylens brooding in the tech lab 24/7

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I gotta say, on the one hand I appreciate the post-game world state of "you don't actually have this looming zenith showdown ticking down the clock" while you're playing machine strike and finding eggs, but I really miss how alive the base feels when there's people chilling and chatting every time you walk in and it's replaced with perpetual-life-of-the-party sylens brooding in the tech lab 24/7

I learned that your companions are still around btw, they're just located in different towns. Kotallo is back at the JTF-10 museum, Erend is in Hidden Ember, Zo is in Plainsong, and Alva is at Legacy's Landfall.

Got the Platinum today, it's a very easy plat with ONE exception that is permanently missable. Here's the most non-spoilery way I can put it: The final boss fight is a unique machine that you must scan to get the All Machines Scanned trophy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished, game is loving perfect. Loved every second of it, never frustrated me or made me wish something was done differently at any point in time. The gameworld was beautiful, the lore well written, and all of the characters fun to interact with and get to know. Easily one of Sonys best video games to date.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Finished the story today, why am I getting a Mass Effect vibe? Just hope they can stick the landing better than ME3 did.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Like to take a moment to express some venom for whoever designed the hunter trial where you have to shock a tremortusk and then detach its tusks.

Fun facts:

First, tremortusks resist shock, so you have to shock them while they're drenched, so this is two states you need to manage in a brief window in addition to not dying.

Second, the correct way to detach tremortusk tusks is to just shoot them? Why are we loving around with shock?

Third, I have noticed that if you are not on perfectly flat ground it's likely that when you do shock it the tremortusk's head will clip below the ground, making its tusks inaccessible.

It's just, why is the game emphasising this approach? Nobody is ever going to do this thing outside of this trial.

I have a pet theory that PlayStation Studios generally had a high-up problem in which people setting side-tasks in their games do not understand their games. There seems to be a task like this in all of their games somewhere (see also: the one shotgun arena challenge in Rift Apart), where it requires to do something that goes completely contrary to what the game has been designed to render enjoyable.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That challenge like many hunting ground trials can be cheesed with smoke bombs. Douse the Tremortusk, get off a shock canister then detach the first two tusks with tearblast arrows, drop a bomb to clear aggro then you'll have a clean shot at the other side.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Does it really matter who you choose in Gates of the Vanquished

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The end credits needs a save point so you can finish it later.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals
I love this game

Gallery

Chris Pistols fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 27, 2022

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

exquisite tea posted:

That challenge like many hunting ground trials can be cheesed with smoke bombs. Douse the Tremortusk, get off a shock canister then detach the first two tusks with tearblast arrows, drop a bomb to clear aggro then you'll have a clean shot at the other side.

I can get it shocked with considerable (highly suboptimal) effort but so far on three out of three shocks this happens, which I do not believe there is a counter for.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Haven't tried the hunting challenges yet, but I might need to reduce difficulty if I ever want to complete the Arena. There's such a big chance for one hit kills on Very Hard if I don't get the timing of dodges down perfectly (and even then, I'm usually screwed if two machines decide to attack at the same time). Someone earlier suggested doing a custom difficulty with high enemy health (so you still have to use all your weapons and targeted damage types) but lower enemy damage, which sounds like a good combo; don't think I need it yet for the main game, but it would definitely help with the challenges.

It also doesn't help that I don't have a hunter bow or blastsling with shock damage, and finding one of those would help with a lot of enemy types; that and plasma are the only damage types I'm missing a reliable weapon for.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The hunting challenges are all very, very easy except the last 2 or so. The Arena can suck a fat one, i turned it down to story.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Ulio posted:

Ya I've seen lots of people say this game rewards hitting weakpoints way more than the first one. I learned this lesson quite quickly on very hard, you don't do enough dmg if you just spam arrows, you have to basically perma concentrate, try hit their weakspots or get chemical reaction which can completely gently caress them up. Exquisite tea also said this but using techniques and valor is on cooldown is really important. There is no cost to it and it regens quickly if you get hunter skills/medicinal skills. You can definitely play like it HZD but encounters take for even longer, enemies are super bullet spongy.

I just hit the point of the story where you meet 3 interesting people. I actually was thinking something like that would happen. I really wanted to finish this before Elden Ring but it seems like it has tech issues? I have the game installed but I am in no rush so far with HFW. I think I am like 17 hours in been doing almost everything I can. I know some people said the performance mode is blurry, I have noticed like in very tiny instances. 60FPS feels way too smooth.

The biggest mistake I made was not bothering to learn how to use valor skills correctly (except the stealth one which was the first one I unlocked) and not bothering how to use the cool weapon skills at all. I finally decided to bother in the last story mission and not only do they dramatically change the flow of combat (and make it a lot more enjoyable), some of them are cool as hell. You're god damned right I want to turn my plasma bolt blaster into a plasma shotgun.

Everyone should absolutely put the effort in to learning then because they add a lot of depth to combat. Even if that depth is just 'plasma shotgun' and that one valor skill that increases your ranged damage by 500%.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

FrickenMoron posted:

The hunting challenges are all very, very easy except the last 2 or so. The Arena can suck a fat one, i turned it down to story.

All of the hunting challenges were either very easy if you can read the designers mind and do it the exact easy way they intended, or really difficult if you don't have world spanning telepathy. The hunting challenge to kill things with environmental traps (the third of the first) is especially bad for this.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Fedule posted:

Second, the correct way to detach tremortusk tusks is to just shoot them? Why are we loving around with shock?
It's just, why is the game emphasising this approach? Nobody is ever going to do this thing outside of this trial.

I was really pleased with myself when I realized the best way to get a clawstrider tail was to shock it and then hammer at the tail while it was paralyzed. My guess is that it's supposed to teach you how to do that? But it's pretty late to be teaching that kind of thing when you're fighting tremortusks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Just finished the critical path. I'm writing this up over the gorgeous and suitable end credits sequence. Loved it overall. I've got different feelings about it than I did H:ZD, partly because I came into the latter with virtually no expectations, partly because there will in all likelihood be at least one more Horizon game.

Either way, H:FW really is a special game IMO. The technical accomplishments alone are notable. On PS5 the loading times are relatively rare and extremely quick. I definitely got used to the occasional microstutter in cutscene transitions, and I consider the occasional glitches as low impact and resolvable with patches. Visually it's a treat. The motion capture and lip syncs are a new standard, and the environments are lovely. The sunrises and sunsets are extraordinary all on their own; they mean a lot to me personally as I have strong memories of both from my time in Colorado and California.

Enjoyed the narrative as a whole. The plot definitely takes some risks, especially towards the end of each respective act. For me they work well. The performances do a ton of the heavy lifting. Ashly Burch should get all the VA awards this year. The cast as a whole is quite good. I like how they took the time for folks to pause and think during delivery; it's a not-always-present thing in not only videogames but TV/movies as well. Probably my favorite parts were the ambient interactions at home. There's a ton of 'em, and they satisfy. Additionally, I can confirm the side quests are a cut above the usual. Comparisons to The Witcher III are on point.

Enjoyed the gameplay as well. I do like the increased emphasis on elemental aspects. The only thing I'd like more is bigger reinforcement during the tutorial/opening of how important they are later. It's generally conveyed when allies are present in combat, but I feel like it could be introduced earlier and more consistently. That said, the accessibility and granular difficulty options are welcome, and it's a good thing that they can be changed at any time.

One part that feels a bit underappreciated to me is the music. I like the soundtrack a lot. Though I can't recall too many specific melodies, that's okay; the music itself gently encourages an appropriate tone for the given scene rather than forcibly instilling one. It also has a consistent texture throughout, to where i could listen to it out of context and recognize it as Horizon music.

What didn't I like? The occasional struggles to get back up when knocked down. The obvious solution to that is "don't get knocked down", but it still feels more frustrating than instructional. Also, the dark nights made a few platforming areas trickier than expected, mostly when I needed to use the pullcaster. Only happened a few times, but worth noting IMO. Other than that, a few enemy types were frustrating, like Shellsnappers. IMO they should stay underground (and go underground) way less than they currently do. Lastly, I'm glad they made melee a bit more engaging, but it has room to grow. In the next game, I'd prefer melee to be more effective against machines. Knockdown resistance (or a roll recovery out of a knockdown) would go a long way here.

As a whole, I think H:FW is an exceptional game and a real achievement. I'd be up for New Game Plus and a DLC, or "just" New Game Plus with a focus on the next game.

isk fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 27, 2022