Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

surf rock posted:

https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1497688227209175049

That leaves just Germany, right? I can't think of any other holdouts from what was originally mentioned over the last two days.

Doesn't Germany need SWIFT to pay for Russian gas? Isn't part of the issue? Even if gas pipe is on Germany needs to pay Russia for it somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1497690422717693958

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
New video highlighting and deconstructing Russia's clumsy efforts to manufacture a casus belli for this whole ordeal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awvpExxY-QM

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

bustin keaton posted:

Weird that the fire alarms have now gone off in the buildings housing various live streams

People might be pulling them to wake the building up so people can get to shelter or whatever.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

steinrokkan posted:

Ah, you are here to troll from the Nazbol forum. Nevermind.

What nazbol forum wtf?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

quarantinethepast posted:

What nazbol forum wtf?

Cross forum drama discussion is forbidden in DnD.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Raenir Salazar posted:

The longer this goes on and the longer Russia visibly struggles to make any headway, the more this seems like the Soviet invasion of Finland; a military effort that got bungled from head to toe, but Ukraine is a much larger country with a large more indepth military, hopefully Ukraine can avoid Finland's fate.

plus almost literally every single country in the world is backing and supplying ukraine in all ways except troops and condemning and/or sanctioning russia in all ways except militarily.

surf rock posted:

https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1497688227209175049

That leaves just Germany, right? I can't think of any other holdouts from what was originally mentioned over the last two days.

this guy works for GB News, a sub-sub fox news level crap station filled with complete idiots, and they're also slow.

This is the latest on the topic afaik https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/germany-favour-targeted-functional-swift-curbs-russia-minister-2022-02-26/

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That's just our defence minister, please forgive him live tweeting through the bottle.

Reminds me of a certain racist moron who tweeted that the Russian offensive would crumble if we just dropped McDonald's Happy Meal coupons on top of the advancing troops.

Some people think we are still up against the 1980s USSR.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

steinrokkan posted:

Reminds me of a certain racist moron who tweeted that the Russian offensive would crumble if we just dropped McDonald's Happy Meal coupons on top of the advancing troops.
They did stop short of that one McD's. I am just saying.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

The stream with the fire alarm (which was overlooking Maiden Square) is now offline, fwiw

it looked quiet before that happened, though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr8doFRzsAc

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Paracausal posted:

New video highlighting and deconstructing Russia's clumsy efforts to manufacture a casus belli for this whole ordeal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awvpExxY-QM

So weird how all those Ukrainian saboteurs were using body cams and now in an actual war, no helmet or body cams in sight.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Vaginaface posted:

Congratulations on being a video game war criminal
Shooting paratroopers isn't a war crime, only shooting people parachuting away from disabled aircraft.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The false-flag stuff only needs to be convincing enough to be sellable on Russian television.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

BigglesSWE posted:

The false-flag stuff only needs to be convincing enough to be sellable on Russian television.

Is that the point of Russia starting and accusing the Ukrainian government of a radio logical crisis like Rubio was claiming?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I am confused as to how useful it is to make calls on how this is going. I keep reading so much, looking at so many tiktok rips and it's just a blur of raw data. I think I just find it interesting how our short attention spans are clambering for some overarching conclusions based on real time slices.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

quarantinethepast posted:

What nazbol forum wtf?

You can check the leper colony if you want to find the people being banned for lusting for Ukrainian death.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

BigglesSWE posted:

It's kind of tiring to keep hearing about the "this is how they got a casus belli" when it literally doesn't matter, there's no international organisation that actually cares about whether Russia was justified going to war or not.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Lampsacus posted:

I am confused as to how useful it is to make calls on how this is going. I keep reading so much, looking at so many tiktok rips and it's just a blur of raw data. I think I just find it interesting how our short attention spans are clambering for some overarching conclusions based on real time slices.

It gives people hope during an incredibly bleak situation.

That doesn't mean people are wrong or that Russia hasn't hosed up but I think it just helps people feel like maybe Ukrainians will get some vindication.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Lampsacus posted:

Honestly its not and it's just people trying to figure out whats happening for a major event.

The people who legitimately know how this is going are not talking to the media or whatever for obvious reasons.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

EvilHawk posted:

It's kind of tiring to keep hearing about the "this is how they got a casus belli" when it literally doesn't matter, there's no international organisation that actually cares about whether Russia was justified going to war or not.

There are however 1000's of Russians in the streets wonder why they are invading thier smaller neighbor

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lampsacus posted:

It’s impossible to make calls on the tactical situation in Ukraine. You can try using footage to make educated guesses about more localised theatres, but on the whole the media environment right now is primarily comprised of civilian eyewitnesses and propaganda from various directions. Ukrainian troops are maintaining strict opsec, and Russian troops are mostly doing the same (except for playing games on their phones while in transport, leading to military convoys showing up as traffic jams on Google Maps).

It’s also worth noting that macroscopic outlook is on Putin’s side, as it’s a much larger and richer country with an authoritarian leader that’s not really vulnerable to bad domestic outlook.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/1497695073982681093
they did it, SWIFT bans coming

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Telsa Cola posted:

Honestly its not and it's just people trying to figure out whats happening for a major event.

The people who legitimately know how this is going are not talking to the media or whatever for obvious reasons.

Yea has putin even had a presser since declaring war?

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Has anyone been following how effective the Anonymous hacks have been? Are they even really happening?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Certain banks, not all?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Cimber posted:

Certain banks, not all?
yes
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/02/26/joint-statement-on-further-restrictive-economic-measures/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I want to see the list of banks. Until then, Central Bank sanctions may be a much larger story.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Vaginaface posted:

Has anyone been following how effective the Anonymous hacks have been? Are they even really happening?

So anonymous isn't really a thing. It's just a way of essentially crowd sourcing hacks. Im sure they'll get people to take down Russian pages and leak databasis even, but not quite "cyber war"
"

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Uhh isn’t the second part the part where they lock up Russia’s reserves?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Cimber posted:

Certain banks, not all?

So germany got their way and gets to keep paying for russian gas

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Cimber posted:

Certain banks, not all?

Im guessing here but I imagine Germany didnt want to have their gas cut off.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Vaginaface posted:

I believe they took RT down, no?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Lampsacus posted:

Yeah "fog of war" is often repeated in this thread and not without reason.

I've been thinking about this a lot, because I'm a historian and I've done a lot of research on WWI this past year due to a Twitter project I run. I've read a lot of newspapers of the time to find what is said about the conflict as it happened.

Thing is, then as now, people are biased, not only in the way they consume news, but how they produce it. I've seen overwhelmingly Ukraine-friendly (though not necessarily Ukraine-POSITIVE) observations and newsdumps online. Is that representative of the online landscape in this matter, or is it due to the algorithm knowing that move in circles that is categorically anti-Putin? I don't know!

News sources are obviously biased, which also muddles the water. British newspapers in August 1914 are filled with stories of German brutality, French and British heroism, great Entente victories and huge German defeats, all the while the frontline mercilessly approaches Paris. They don't technically deny drawbacks, but they overwhelm the reader with positive news, or reasons to hate the enemy.

Are we falling into the same trap? When we hear of fierce resistance in Kiev, heavy losses among Russians, are we simply getting the (to us) positive gaps in a darker hole? Are the Russians truly hurting, or is it wishful thinking from the local and international press corp? I don't know. It's hard to know.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Timeless Appeal posted:

I believe they took RT down, no?

I keep thinking people are talking about rottentomatoes.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Big bank run in SpB today, 5000 rbl limit in place

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 26, 2022

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

https://audiovisual.ec.europa.eu/en/ebs/live/1?lg=INT van der leyen is now giving a statement live (in french)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Preoptopus posted:

Yea has putin even had a presser since declaring war?

Not that I can remember.

Vaginaface posted:

Just a feel-good story. RT and Kremlin sites were a bit laggy for a while.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Holy poo poo, and it’s not the SWIFT ban I’m holy making GBS threads. If the United States follows suit, the Russian economy was just destroyed.

Putin is hosed.

Edit

I am concerned a little we will have hosed Putin like we hosed Japan when we embargoed oil in 1941.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

What's even the international response if Russia Dresden's Kyiv tonight?

Russia becomes a pariah state to the world, has to turn to China as a client state to continue to function?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1497696378461593605?s=20&t=EAMsBd7lrduH-aPCstAQTQ