Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

avoraciopoctules posted:

I definitely had a rough time with them. There's not enough space to let the jellyfish soak up aggro, and as a mage I think it might be resistant to glintstone attacks. I'd probably just pass on it till way later, I looked up the reward and it doesn't look game-changing.

I ended up using Carian Slicer to basically fight him like I was a melee class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Macaluso posted:

Uh, how do I put the horse whistle onto my hud buttons?

If you mean the quick access thing, it's on the right hand side of the screen when you open the menu.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

goferchan posted:

Did you meet the guy in the weird mask in Lingrave who warns you about the undead mariner and start doing his questline? That gets you the holy enchant spell among some other really fun stuff especially if you're STR/FAI.

Where is this guy?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

goferchan posted:

Probably? But when you meet the second guy you get a talisman that lets you scale incantations with strength. If you go back and talk to D again he goes to roundtable hold and becomes a vendor and sells the holy enchantment incantation, which is really good at just adds like a flat 77 damage to my sword right now

oh neat, I'll see if I got that. I went back but D was missing from that spot I found him in. I'll have to look around.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

KidDynamite posted:

what is even going on in this library?? this invader npc ai is atrocious

Carian Study Hall? You go there after you get the Liurian Great Rune, I had to spoil myself because I got to the top and couldn't go higher but apparently it's a whole quest you'll have to come back later with A Thing

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Phoix posted:

If you mean the quick access thing, it's on the right hand side of the screen when you open the menu.

I'm talking about the thing on the bottom left. Can I not put the horse whistle on that? Is there a way I'm missing to call my horse that doesn't involve me having to open up my inventory?

edit: Okay I figured it out. That is extremely clunky menu design imo

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 26, 2022

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

goferchan posted:

Did you meet the guy in the weird mask in Lingrave who warns you about the undead mariner and start doing his questline? That gets you the holy enchant spell among some other really fun stuff especially if you're STR/FAI.

Yeah, did that stuff, and got 4/5 roots, was thinking the goal was beast claw so haven't tried out the other spells much, but I'll give that a shot

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

The Grumbles posted:

This game rules, and save for the occasional hitch as I move between areas it's as smooth as I could hope for on a 3070/3600. I'm also running the game on an NVME drive, if that helps at all.

Also I'm finding it really interesting how the George R. R. Martin aspect is just completely absence from all the discourse and marketing. I think it just goes to show how quickly the world's moved on from its Game of Thrones hype. But also, it's so obvious that this is just a Miyazaki-rear end game with Miyazaki-rear end worldbuilding and the GRRM involvement must have been so broad/early. It kind of makes me wonder if he wandered into a meeting room one day, said "There are big trees that glow and also the game is called Elden Ring", picked up his cheque and left.

I'm pretty sure GRRM's sole contribution are the characters names of Goddfrey and Godrick or some such generic poo poo

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxgBmxjy2B4

I figured out how to unlock the lift in Stormveil!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

hobbez posted:

Where is this guy?

Northeast Lingrave, site of grace southwest of Summonwater Village

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Harrow posted:

I honestly don't think these games would lose anything if weapon upgrading went away and stat scaling was higher from the start instead, so all the damage increases came from stat scaling instead of upgrading. That's especially true assuming Elden Ring uses DS3's level matching logic which includes weapon upgrade levels, so they don't even let you twink out a character for invasions anymore.

Then you could just use whatever you find that your stats let you use and have a good time instead of scrounging for upgrade materials and worrying about what you spend them on.

This has been my thought since DS2, but man. So much of From's design is ingrained and horribly dated. The only reason I can think of for the current system is to have a highly valued, generic lootable, and because it's the same way it's always been.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

I'm talking about the thing on the bottom left. Can I not put the horse whistle on that? Is there a way I'm missing to call my horse that doesn't involve me having to open up my inventory?

Quick slots are at the bottom of the equipment menu

You can also assign it to the pouch slots (right side of the main menu), then hold Y and hit the assigned dpad

tak fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 26, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Was fighting some undead when a dragon swooped down and killed us all.

At least we all died.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ok so one thing I thought a giant open world souls game would for sure do away with is limited components to upgrade weapons. Are you telling me that is not the case?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

every time someone points out an npc in here i haven't met yet it has unanimously been revealed when i investigate that i've explored within 6 inches of them and walked right by

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

youcallthatatwist posted:

I'm really curious about this too. Fromsoft has a history of patching games for balance post-release right? I wonder if The First Boss is supposed to be as much of a roadblock as he seems to be, or if this is a function of players approaching the game like Dark Souls and failing

I think it's players following the markers right into his rear end and getting wrecked. I explored a fuckton before running into his area, and frankly he was easier than some of the bosses that I still haven't beaten around the zone. I can't imagine what it would be like to run straight to him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The skeletons are VERY annoying to fight as a mage because you end up having to switch to a sword after you kill every one of them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah the game is early and I think the first boss hate will level off with time so I wouldn’t expect him to get nerfed.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dow bows auto aim if you are locked on ?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Cardboard Fox posted:

The worst feeling would be a slow decline until mid-late game where I go from being an unstoppable god to barely able to kill basic mobs. Being a sorcerer early game right now seems OP not only due to the spells, but also not having to deal with melee bosses which are some of the most aggressive I've seen in a Souls game. Being able to sit back and do damage while they complete their 12-point combo feels very OP right now.

You'll always kill basic mobs. Unless they have a shield, then you're screwed. Bonus points for Tree Sentinel, who has a shield that reflects back a spell that does an obscene amount of damage. Running around the open world you can engage things fairly safely.

Even if the second required boss wasn't literally immune to magic, there weren't a number of effectively-immune-due-to-shield minibosses, you didn't have a hard cap on damage due to blue juice amount, and grinding more diminishing returns Int wasn't your only strategy... it's still just casting the one spell. If you get enough blue juice and Int and Mind you can look at casting a higher tier of the same spell as long as it's against something you massively outlevel and will die before you run out of blue juice.

I really, really wanted magic to be a thing this time around but... yeah.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

euphronius posted:

Yes, and it's the only way I can seem to get shots to land.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Mailer posted:

Yeah, this is where I'm at right now. Just gonna reroll a quality build or something. Sigh.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

euphronius posted:

They do, but good luck hitting a moving target.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Login servers appear to be down again. it's just not the same with try octopus, but hole.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Peewi posted:

They do, but good luck hitting a moving target.

To be fair if you could that would be insane

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

youcallthatatwist posted:

I'm really curious about this too. Fromsoft has a history of patching games for balance post-release right? I wonder if The First Boss is supposed to be as much of a roadblock as he seems to be, or if this is a function of players approaching the game like Dark Souls and failing

There's a boss later that basically reads inputs like a fighting game story boss so I think From just wanted this game to be brutal

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah the game is early and I think the first boss hate will level off with time so I wouldn’t expect him to get nerfed.

it's also funny because he's not the first boss. I wonder how many people have bothered restarting to kill that first actual boss bar you see and only get 1 chance for.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Mailer posted:

You'll always kill basic mobs. Unless they have a shield, then you're screwed. Bonus points for Tree Sentinel, who has a shield that reflects back a spell that does an obscene amount of damage. Running around the open world you can engage things fairly safely.

Even if the second required boss wasn't literally immune to magic, there weren't a number of effectively-immune-due-to-shield minibosses, you didn't have a hard cap on damage due to blue juice amount, and grinding more diminishing returns Int wasn't your only strategy... it's still just casting the one spell. If you get enough blue juice and Int and Mind you can look at casting a higher tier of the same spell as long as it's against something you massively outlevel and will die before you run out of blue juice.

What about the ash of war that ties any weapon armament to faith scaling? Seems like that's a good way to balance melee play with magic, at least where I am in the mid-30s

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think once a popular walkthrough sends people the right way the complaints will change

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

mcmagic posted:

I ended up using Carian Slicer to basically fight him like I was a melee class.

That sounds pretty badass, actually. When I get back home after work, I'm gonna give it a shot. I think I'm level 30ish now, and I don't want to check out Stormveil until I'm at least level 40. I'll practice on some giants since they are good XP, then see if I can survive picking a fight with a bear using my sick laser sword.

Mailer posted:

That's really a shame. I was doing OK on fighting shielded soldiers in the starter area and waiting for openings to zap the mirror shield guy with glintstone darts from angles where he couldn't reflect, but if they get better shielding techniques later on things are gonna get pretty rough.

I'm still gonna stick it out to 60+ Int, though. I refuse to miss out on being able to chuck giant blue explosions around, even if the spoilers I've looked up suggest that the re-spec is locked behind beating the magic-immune queen boss. I'll just have to get to level 120 or so before I take them on.

EDIT: I have also heard that you only need to defeat some of the big super-lord bosses to unlock the next phase of the game after that. If that's true, maybe you can skip the boss that is a hard counter to your build

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

so I've juiced my faith to 30 so I can use the cipher pata. I just realized the hook claws offer a similar play style and bleed. Is there a way to tell if it would be better to just level up the claws?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Are there any quick hotkeys to use items? I'd love to have my horse as just a key and not an item I have to select to use.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This explains a lot about why this background seemed familiar

https://twitter.com/oDarkSouls4/status/1497370478301880324

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

sigher posted:

Are there any quick hotkeys to use items? I'd love to have my horse as just a key and not an item I have to select to use.

Yes

The pouch

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
my one complaint with the Ashes of War is that I dont like Scaling and Weapon Arts being linked. Also all the weapons I like and want to use are "special" weapons, which means they need twinkling titanite somber smithing stones, and you can't change their arts - which means you cant change their scaling, either.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Khanstant posted:

it's also funny because he's not the first boss. I wonder how many people have bothered restarting to kill that first actual boss bar you see and only get 1 chance for.

To be fair the first boss I fought was the loving Cat.

He owned he because he’s a jerky rear end in a top hat

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

sigher posted:

pause and go to your “pouch” items on the right, you can assign four items that you can use by holding triangle and pressing the D-Pad directions. iirc they tell you about this right after you get Torrent

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
In Castle Morne and I thought I've finished it, but the sites of grace at the lift and rampart all still have those lines, which I think indicate
"still something to do here"? I delivered the letter to the king, went back to the daughter but she was dead, killed the boss, talked to the King again, he thanked me then he left next time I checked on him. I found three other Sites of Grace in the castle (Behind Castle, Beside the Gaol, and Moangrave/boss arena. Is there something else I"m missing?

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Ok so one thing I thought a giant open world souls game would for sure do away with is limited components to upgrade weapons. Are you telling me that is not the case?

There's 25 levels of upgrades and like 6 tiers of mats. You'll have plenty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
So I have 2 smithing stones in my inventory, but when I go to upgrade a weapon on the blacksmith screen it says I have no smithing stones. What am I missing?