Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

El Mero Mero posted:

Anyone ever done DA-100 or know anything about it? It all looks more basic than anything I do right now but idk, my employer is asking me if there's something they can burn money on for me.

Yeah, I did it a year ago or so. Good grounding for power bi reporting imo. I only used the learn.microsoft training, so take a look at that, if you already know it all, just go grab an easy cert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Dandywalken posted:

Failed Net+ with a 548. Did Udemy test and watched professer Messer vids, plus took as many free Net+ prep things as I could find online. Any suggestions on stuff to study before I schedule retake? Preferably <$20

Depending on your learning style, my recommendation would be work thru as many practice questions as you can.

You can find a shitload of free resources if you know where to look. A site I heard about is: B hyphen OK dot CC

That's where people can get their manuals on linux ISOs.

Good luck!

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 3, 2022

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Passed my AZ-900! :toot:

Going to go after AZ-104 and then look into the AI certs.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Weaponized Autism posted:

Passed my AZ-900! :toot:

Going to go after AZ-104 and then look into the AI certs.

Grats! I started working on AZ-104 but switched over to AWS SA associate on udemy and it's been holding my attention better. Wouldn't mind going back at some point though.

Network+ is a weird one as the material comes across as too reliant on memorizing book stuff and not practicality for an entry, but too easy and unfocused for anyone with hands-on experience in the field to waste their time on. Like the question regarding EMI and fiber isn't difficult for somebody already aware of the nuances of cabling and best practices, but I also don't see it being something that a junior network technician should be dealing with in the real world? Or at least not an issue I'd expect them to resolve.

Even though they are easier certifications, if I was a hiring manager I think I'd prefer candidates for an entry position to have the knowledge required for Cisco's CCT or Juniper's JNCIA over Net+.

Uno Venova
Jan 19, 2020
All I'm getting offers for is those month long Desktop support contracts at the moment (no experience)

Has anyone taken like a 2 month contract when they didn't have any experience and was that enough to start getting actual direct hire work in IT?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Uno Venova posted:

All I'm getting offers for is those month long Desktop support contracts at the moment (no experience)

Has anyone taken like a 2 month contract when they didn't have any experience and was that enough to start getting actual direct hire work in IT?

You might have to do a couple more contracts through that company but you should be able to get a direct job either through that company, or somewhere else within a year.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Thanks for the tips! I grabbed a particular book that a friend suggested from that site. I will def have to try and find more appropriate test material now that Ive seen what the exam consists of, type of question wise.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Does anyone have any experience with AZ-500? Is it harder than az104? ACloudGuru recommends it before AZ-30(5).

Job-wise, Would it be more beneficial build some projects in python first ?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sacrist65 posted:

Does anyone have any experience with AZ-500? Is it harder than az104? ACloudGuru recommends it before AZ-30(5).

Job-wise, Would it be more beneficial build some projects in python first ?

Actual experience with doing things (be it as a hobby or practising at home) usually beats certs.

If you have a git repo that shows you can build python applications it will certainly help.

Az-305/az-500 have nothing to do with Python though, unless I’m thinking about the wrong certs (security and infra design, right?). So what do you want to achieve?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yeah, if I get the AZ-104, what kind of job would that get me with 9 years of healthcare desktop+ experience?

I imagine I'm going to get caught in the "no experience therefore will never get any" loop.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

skooma512 posted:

Yeah, if I get the AZ-104, what kind of job would that get me with 9 years of healthcare desktop+ experience?

I imagine I'm going to get caught in the "no experience therefore will never get any" loop.

With 9 years of IT experience and some cloud training/certs it shouldn’t be impossible to get into cloud admin jobs.

It might help you get acquianted with all the services and build a portfolio by doing something like this:

https://jeffbrown.tech/azure-cloud-resume-challenge-part-1/

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

LochNessMonster posted:

With 9 years of IT experience and some cloud training/certs it shouldn’t be impossible to get into cloud admin jobs.

It might help you get acquianted with all the services and build a portfolio by doing something like this:

https://jeffbrown.tech/azure-cloud-resume-challenge-part-1/

This is great! I'll try this.

This is where I get caught up on IT certs. I learn all this poo poo specifically for enterprise use... but I don't have an enterprise to play around in. If I have a lab, I don't have any goals or tasks to work towards. I never can use it so I never learn it properly.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Passed CySA+ with a 758. The Dion practice tests did not help me as much this time. :toot:

That and the wording of a few of the questions confused me :shrug:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Does anybody have a resource for really understanding the differences between the various “*aaS” schemes? Preferably with examples? I’ve gone over them and over them and be sure I understand them and then when I take a Sec+ practice test there’ll be 6 questions and I’ll get 5 wrong it’s making me crazy.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

navyjack posted:

Does anybody have a resource for really understanding the differences between the various “*aaS” schemes? Preferably with examples? I’ve gone over them and over them and be sure I understand them and then when I take a Sec+ practice test there’ll be 6 questions and I’ll get 5 wrong it’s making me crazy.

This should help out!

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

May also help to look up cloud certifications, as that is usually one of the first things covered by AWS/Azure material. Hopefully this link works

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/modules/fundamental-azure-concepts/categories-of-cloud-services

Or post the question wording that you are having a hard time with and maybe we can help.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I’ve done the Professor Messer videos, but thanks for the response.

Cyks posted:

May also help to look up cloud certifications, as that is usually one of the first things covered by AWS/Azure material. Hopefully this link works

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/modules/fundamental-azure-concepts/categories-of-cloud-services

Or post the question wording that you are having a hard time with and maybe we can help.

I’d have to go back and see the exact ones, but I had one that was playing a video game from anywhere which turned out to be Desktop as a Service, and another one that ended up being XaaS (anything as a service). At a certain point I feel like I’m just being hosed with. FUaaS :mad:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Has anyone taken RedHat exams remotely? Their requirements are a bit goofy

https://www.redhat.com/rhdc/managed-files/tr-remote-exams-preparation-ebook-f27382-202103-en_1.pdf

quote:

System requirements
O Computer: You will need a computer with a single active monitor. Red Hat supports many Intel-compatible X86_64-bit architecture computers.

O USB hub: One wired USB hub is allowed if a hub is needed to accommodate permitted peripheral devices as described below.

O Mouse: A wired mouse is optional but recommended. A wireless mouse is not allowed. A wired mouse is required if you use a laptop with the lid closed as described below.

O Keyboard: Only one keyboard is allowed for the exam. If you wish to use an external, wired keyboard with your laptop, you will have to keep the lid closed. This configuration will require the use of an external monitor and wired mouse as well. Wireless keyboards are not permitted.

O Webcam: One external webcam with at least a 1m cable.

O Monitors: Only one physical display will be allowed for the exam.

O Connecting an external monitor to a laptop: You are only allowed to use one monitor, one keyboard, and one external mouse. If you chose to connect an external monitor to your laptop, the laptop lid must be closed throughout the duration of the exam session. You will be required to use a wired keyboard and a wired mouse.

O Sound and microphone: A working microphone is required. Verify that the audio and microphone are not set on mute prior to the exam.

O Power: We recommend the use of an uninterrupted power supply (UPS) for your computer, external monitor (if used), and networking equipment to maintain internet connectivity during power outages.

O Desktop or tower computer placement: All desktop or tower computers used for remote exams must sit either on top of the desk being used or in a place that allows a full 360-degree scan of the computer.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I did last week. There's no room for flexibility on this. I had to go fetch a wired keyboard out of my closet.

It matches very closely with what a semi-proctored exam at a Red Hat partner location was like.

The proctor will make you pick up the webcam and scan it around the room. Don't mouth any words while you're reading the questions either or they'll think you're reading them out to some unseen listener.

ALSO: make sure your webcam can clearly focus on your ID. I had trouble getting it to make the text on my driver's license visible.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Passed my Sec+ today. It was very hard and I was making GBS threads bricks the whole time, convinced i failed. Thank you Professor Messer and Jason Dion!!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

navyjack posted:

Passed my Sec+ today. It was very hard and I was making GBS threads bricks the whole time, convinced i failed. Thank you Professor Messer and Jason Dion!!

Sweet! Congrats!

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Bought Dion practice tests for net+ and got a 65% on the first one. gently caress me I need to review a ton before the exam on Saturday.

Unclean
Jun 28, 2002

sporkstand posted:

It's been a looooooooooooooong time since I've taken any kind of standardized testing so I'm looking at taking a couple of the easier type cert exams just to get used to the actual process and mental headspace of test taking again.
I'm looking at the Microsoft MD-100 and MD-101 exams. Can anyone recommend some study materials (digital or physical) for this exam? For some context, I've worked as a computer toucher/Windows admin for 20ish years now. I've worked for both very large orgs (federal government) and a small MSP with 5 employees. Thanks.

I took and just barely passed my MD-100 last week, however I didn't study for it like I should have. I also sent you a long winded PM!

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Did it! Passed Net+ with a 784. The entire time I felt like I was getting every question wrong.

The Cram book by Dulaney was probably the most helpful resource. So much more information in that little book than the entire course had.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Professor Latency posted:

Did it! Passed Net+ with a 784. The entire time I felt like I was getting every question wrong.

The Cram book by Dulaney was probably the most helpful resource. So much more information in that little book than the entire course had.

This was me with Sec+ last week. Would have sworn blind that I got 60% until I got done with that goddam survey at the end and got my score.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Congrats. I was that way with the VVP-NV last week as well. Since you can take the exam as a CCNA holder I assumed that part of the exam would be about networking but no, not a single question.

Anyone who has access to a .mil email (mil, civ or ctr, doesn’t matter) from now until end of June you have a 100% off voucher for all certification exams. No limit on the number of exams you can receive a voucher for but I don’t know if you can get multiples for the same exam if you fail. Just have to link your .mil email to your Microsoft account when scheduling.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Cyks posted:

Congrats. I was that way with the VVP-NV last week as well. Since you can take the exam as a CCNA holder I assumed that part of the exam would be about networking but no, not a single question.

Anyone who has access to a .mil email (mil, civ or ctr, doesn’t matter) from now until end of June you have a 100% off voucher for all certification exams. No limit on the number of exams you can receive a voucher for but I don’t know if you can get multiples for the same exam if you fail. Just have to link your .mil email to your Microsoft account when scheduling.

Do you mean VCP-NV? The CCNA didn't help at all?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Sacrist65 posted:

Do you mean VCP-NV? The CCNA didn't help at all?

Sorry, I’m bad about proof reading but yes the VCP-NV. Knowing some networking concepts will help with understanding how NSX-T works but no knowledge was needed for the questions I had.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Cyks posted:

Sorry, I’m bad about proof reading but yes the VCP-NV. Knowing some networking concepts will help with understanding how NSX-T works but no knowledge was needed for the questions I had.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I was interested in taking it because a VCP-NV holder can then sit for other VMware certs without having to pay for their overpriced training courses. What would i need to study for the VCPNV if anything as a CCNA holder?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm day one on a Fullstack bootcamp and just signed the "Ethical Hackers Manifesto"

I cringed so hard I am now 2 inches shorter.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Sacrist65 posted:

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I was interested in taking it because a VCP-NV holder can then sit for other VMware certs without having to pay for their overpriced training courses. What would i need to study for the VCPNV if anything as a CCNA holder?

That’s the reason I did it as well although I’m still studying for the VCP-NV. I thought Rick Crisci’s video on Udemy was a pretty good introduction to NSX-T and covered most of the questions regarding functionality on the exam. I’m fortunate enough to have a lot of downtime at work and access to multiple unused servers/switches so I built a lab using the trial download. The labs at hol.VMware.com are good learning tools.

As far as the exam goes, roughly half the questions were about knowing the different features and capabilities of NSX and came across as simple if you learned how to implement it. Not too many gotcha questions in that category and a few felt like freebies.

The other half was all under the hood; you must know esxcli troubleshooting commands. And yes some of the answers were slightly different to throw you off similar to a Cisco exam so must know them verbatim. Know some basic linux as well and do not neglect installing/troubleshooting on a KVM host.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I might try and sit for the AWS Solutions Architect - Associate cert this week. I'm pretty sure I'm not ready but I just want to take it and see where I'm at. Don't want to commit months of studying if not needed.

Has anyone recently passed it?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Hughmoris posted:

I might try and sit for the AWS Solutions Architect - Associate cert this week. I'm pretty sure I'm not ready but I just want to take it and see where I'm at. Don't want to commit months of studying if not needed.

It’s been a year or 2. Currently prepping for the Developer cert.

There’s a set of 20 questions (for each exam) on the aws skillbuilder page that allows you to get a feeling for the exam style.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

I took it a few years ago, and the security specialty last summer.

At a high level know what the basic services do. Know how to create a VPC from scratch, know your different S3 storage types and why you'd use one over the other. Know the basics of IAM, how conflicting policies would work out. If you can do all that you'll be fine. Its not an overly difficult test in my opinion, just very wide, and bound to cover some services you hardly ever work with.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
What are the most useful AWS certs?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

barkbell posted:

What are the most useful AWS certs?

The one that get you the jobs you like.

Obviously the Professional tier is regarded nicely and the specialty ones are useful if you work within those fields.

The security one is probably the most valuable because security is like printing money.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

MrKatharsis posted:

I did last week. There's no room for flexibility on this. I had to go fetch a wired keyboard out of my closet.

It matches very closely with what a semi-proctored exam at a Red Hat partner location was like.

The proctor will make you pick up the webcam and scan it around the room. Don't mouth any words while you're reading the questions either or they'll think you're reading them out to some unseen listener.

ALSO: make sure your webcam can clearly focus on your ID. I had trouble getting it to make the text on my driver's license visible.

They actually used to require two webcams: one aimed at you and one from the side showing a wide angle shot (oh, and they specified the required field of view of the webcam).

Also you 100% need to check that the exam usb boot image works with your PC, either the current one or the older one they still make available. Neither work on my gaming PC or one of my laptops; luckily the old flavor does work on my second laptop so I can do my RHCE next week (hopefully).

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Got 614/700 on AZ-104 and failed :owned:

Mostly did youtube tutorials (like 12 hour ones), Microsoft Learn modules, and poking around in Azure for study. I felt wildly unprepared for most of the questions and like I was just guessing on many of them. An added bonus my ability to remember the questions for study later is about as good as my ability to absorb and retain the material.

I'll study harder and try again. This was on a free exam credit from MS Ignite which is why I was so willing to march over the cliff. Any idea on how big of a gulf 85 points is? Are we talking "dang that's close" or "bro you're hosed"?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

skooma512 posted:

Mostly did youtube tutorials (like 12 hour ones), Microsoft Learn modules, and poking around in Azure for study. I felt wildly unprepared for most of the questions and like I was just guessing on many of them. An added bonus my ability to remember the questions for study later is about as good as my ability to absorb and retain the material.

I'll study harder and try again. This was on a free exam credit from MS Ignite which is why I was so willing to march over the cliff. Any idea on how big of a gulf 85 points is? Are we talking "dang that's close" or "bro you're hosed"?

Surprised that's not a passing score, it's 87%. Does Ignite let you take it again free or?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

skooma512 posted:

You got this! My best advice for these types of exams is to do a shitload of practice questions, and read the rationals. That may help you get in the right mindset. Some creative google searches may turn up free resources for those practice questions.

I think gaining 9 percentage points is absolutely doable next time.

Bob Morales posted:

Surprised that's not a passing score, it's 87%. Does Ignite let you take it again free or?

I believe the scoring is out of 1000, and 700 to pass.