Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

That sound is every intelligence agency popping a massive boner at seeing how this stuff stacks up against NATO equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

lol so they managed to make some prototypes of this terrible boondongle mobile? Even Russians admitted none of these loving things would be ready by 2022

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Pook Good Mook posted:

This goes back days now, but legitimately, wtf did Putin expect. Did his own propaganda delude him into thinking Ukrainians would just give up and let the government get deposed? That they would declare Kyiv a free city?

I'm so perplexed by this whole affair.

He was expecting an embarrassing Afghanistan-withdrawal crumble of official forces and a swift temporary swat on the hand reprisal from the international community. Then he secures his place in history as the retaker of rightful USSR territory.

Oops.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Grouchio posted:

I wonder if we'll get that SWIFT account ban on Russia this coming week.

Seeing as there's been a SWIFT ban today, I'd wager yes

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

This is art, thank you gents!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Aramis posted:

Best guess would be that he expected the leadership to bail out to western Europe, leading to the troops just giving up. This turning into the Zelensky and co.`s hour of glory (at least for a while) is, to say the least, sub-optimal.

The fact that Zelensky is not cutting and running is really bad news for Putin. Even if Z does get killed, he is going to be depicted as going down swinging. An Insurgency would burn there for years bleeding the Russians and the puppet Ukrainian gov't because of his bravery.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

steinrokkan posted:

lol so they managed to make some prototypes of this terrible boondongle mobile? Even Russians admitted none of these loving things would be ready by 2022

Luckily in exchange for their unreadiness their giving every western weapons developer info on how to counter them

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Mokotow posted:

Worth noting some saboteurs in Kyiv were caught in telecom manholes doing… stuff

butt stuff?

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

If they can block Russian access can they also make the $600bn war chest directly available to Ukraine for maximum irony?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

Seeing as there's been a SWIFT ban today, I'd wager yes
WHAT? By who?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Pook Good Mook posted:

This goes back days now, but legitimately, wtf did Putin expect. Did his own propaganda delude him into thinking Ukrainians would just give up and let the government get deposed? That they would declare Kyiv a free city?

I'm so perplexed by this whole affair.

A common problem with governments that heavily employ propaganda, especially internally, is they poison their own population, including, eventually, their own leadership. There's some great coverage of the PRC trying to train a new generation of internet censors about parts of history they've erased...that the trainees didn't realize were real.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Grouchio posted:

WHAT? By who?

You have google.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Pook Good Mook posted:

Time to dig out the Pattons boys!

Have there been any photos of destroyed T90s? Everything that's been used so far seems to be older modern tanks.

A few T-80s, not a single confirmed destroyed T-90 pic/video from what I've seen. I think the most modern overall confirmed kill for Ukraine so far has been a Ka-52 heli.

Ukraine posted they shot down an Su-35 however there's no video/photo confirmation and that would be a complete emabarssment to Russian air reputation if true.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 27, 2022

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

ITS A GUNDAM!!!

Any further reports of Russian shelling?

If you are sending prototypes into the field it does not speak to things moving "smoothly"

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Telsa Cola posted:

That sound is every intelligence agency popping a massive boner at seeing how this stuff stacks up against NATO equipment.

Yeah in theory they are resistant to ATGMs.

steinrokkan posted:

The Finnish joke is that they are named T14s because only 14 of them have ever been made.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

biglads posted:

butt stuff?

Emotions come, I don't know why
Cover up love's alibi

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
What happen overnight as I slept??

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

steinrokkan posted:

Elon Musk deploys an army of Tesla to uncontrollably swerve into random vehicles, hoping some of them are Russian tanks

You joke but this is more or less the plot of Daemon by Daniel Suarez

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Grouchio posted:

WHAT? By who?

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/1497695073982681093?cxt=HHwWisC4qYLv8MgpAAAA

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KitConstantine posted:

Apparently Russia is digging some vehicles out of mothballs. Can any tank guys verify the ids in the tweet

Stretched thin on equipment across three fronts or didn't have as much modern stuff as suspected?

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497712081759522820?t=QrW3_occsYk15yBN9BFUSg&s=19

Lee knows what's up with hardware so his identifications are almost certainly correct.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MadJackal posted:

He was expecting an embarrassing Afghanistan-withdrawal crumble of official forces and a swift temporary swat on the hand reprisal from the international community. Then he secures his place in history as the retaker of rightful USSR territory.

Oops.

To be fair, that's exactly what's happened every time he's done this before.

The difference this time is that Ukrainians stood and fought and the international community cared for a change (for a few reasons, partly ukraine's proximity to Europe, partly I suspect because Ukrainians are perceived by white europeans as other white europeans).

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Telsa Cola posted:

Yeah, for real (as macabre as that is). Older Russian armored vehicles is not a surprise or an indication that they're spread thin: it's just part of the doctrine. For example, Guards units (a designation typically indicating better training, equipment, etc.) are not sent in first: they are sent in to exploit success.

I wouldn't assume that "T-14s will not be ready until late 2022" to be accurate. Nations routinely claim to have fewer of the newest hotness than they do. There's an old SPI war game called Next War whose public version had its order of battle based on publicly-released information on units and equipment. I think they had three F-15 squadrons. At the time, the US had eighteen. I would not at all be surprised if Russia has multiple battalions equipped with the T-14.

Why does this matter for :ukraine:? The T-14 has a lot of tech invested in keeping it safe from anti-tank missiles like the NLAW and the Javelin. If they show up in large numbers, we'll probably see how they do in a real fight. :shrug:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Celexi posted:

What happen overnight as I slept??

Nothing much different than yesterday within Ukraine.

Outside, most of the world just took away access to the savings that Putin had intended to use to keep Russia's economy afloat through sanctions.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Yeah I'm on the Nexta Live channel with the Ukrainian flag, and wondering if there's one Russian telegram to see what they are sharing.

Telegram is a fairly decentralized business. I think you might be most satisfied with the proxy "republics" telegram channels, since Russian opsec should be better than livetweeting being shot by Ukrainian NLAWs.

Here's a sampler of LDNR mouthpieces (I do not endorse staring into the abyss):

@wargonzo
@sashakots
@Sergey_Belous
@juchkovsky
@luganskallnews

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

the popes toes posted:

Goon cartographer under fire, pledges punishing self-criticism

moderation contemplates posting sanctions

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

steinrokkan posted:

A couple of years ago I watched one of these on the May 9 Victory Day parade rehearsal break down in front of a huge crowd.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

The article also discusses explosions on the Russian side of border.

quote:

Authorities say the explosions have been caused by Ukrainian shootings.

However, according to the opposition-leaning Novaya Gazeta, a piece has been found at the site of the Malaya Sadovaya explosion, the text of which suggested that it was a Russian anti-aircraft missile. According to experts interviewed by the newspaper, it may have exploded in an attempt to combat the Ukrainian ammunition.

Novaya Gazeta journalist Ilya Azar and three other journalists were arrested in Belgorod on Saturday. Azar is suspected of stealing money from a retiree who sold honey.

Novaya Gazeta is famous for their journalists getting assassinated in mysterious ways. Being arrested for stealing from a honey selling pensioneer is not a big deal. Just the usual honey trap.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i bet we get some knocked out T-14s. Those things look like they're made of plywood.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Well looks like real estate prices are about to get real weird.

I feel bad for their kids, they didn't ask to be born into stolen wealth, but I loving love that they're gonna finally take their stupid loving boats away.

https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/1497714794853711873?t=6r0c1BSkGGGGCCIEqpXV-Q&s=19

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Grouchio posted:

I wonder if we'll get that SWIFT account ban on Russia this coming week.

Kyiv: full consensus for disconnecting Russia from SWIFT has been achieved, the process has begun

https://www.uawire.org/kyiv-full-consensus-for-disconnecting-russia-from-swift-has-been-achieved-the-process-has-begun

Looks like it's going through now?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mercury_Storm posted:

Kyiv: full consensus for disconnecting Russia from SWIFT has been achieved, the process has begun

https://www.uawire.org/kyiv-full-consensus-for-disconnecting-russia-from-swift-has-been-achieved-the-process-has-begun

Looks like it's going through now?

Scroll up.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

KitConstantine posted:

Well looks like real estate prices are about to get real weird.

I feel bad for their kids, they didn't ask to be born into stolen wealth, but I loving love that they're gonna finally take their stupid loving boats away.

https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/1497714794853711873?t=6r0c1BSkGGGGCCIEqpXV-Q&s=19
There’s a lot of Russian money in NYC and Miami, among other places

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

FlamingLiberal posted:

There’s a lot of Russian money in NYC and Miami, among other places

I'd say there's a lot in Mar-a-Lago too, but my guess is he's spent it all on bribes.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This is a lovely tweet. Guy died on Feb 25, and he's not the CFO, but just a deputy General Director of the Unified Settlement Center of Gazprom for corporate security.

https://snob.ru/news/47news-top-menedzhera-kaznachejstva-gazproma-nashli-mertvym-pod-sankt-peterburgom/

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Vaginaface posted:

Congratulations on being a video game war criminal

Much like shooting fleeing enemies in the back is a dick thing to do but explicitly not a warcrime, the same is true about shooting at paratroopers. Shooting down a pilot who jumps out of a burning plane would be, but if the person has weapons and is jumping intentionally to come and kill you, it is in fact entirely a-ok to shoot at them while they are helplessly dangling.

Budzilla posted:

The Ukrainian government have been building licensed TB2 Turkish drones for a while now but I haven't heard anything about them in this war. Are they saving them for when things get very dire?

I've literally been asking them same question myself. Either:

1. Russia has some kind of jamming that neutralizes them. Given that they got to see them up-close in Nagorno-Karabakh it isn't oulandish, but generally Russia hasn't exactly been covering themselves in glory in the technical side of this war...
2. Ukrainians have just been merrily fragging things behind the lines with them, but no-one is talking about it.
3. They only have limited stores and so are saving them for a rainy day.

My bet would probably be 3, but that might just be wishful thinking. Especially given how Russia has accumulated warcrime levels of artillery outside of Kyiv, hitting that all tonight would probably be what I'd use them for.

steinrokkan posted:

T90s are just T72s with a new sticker name. AFAIK T80s are the better tanks.

... sorta. T-64->T-80 and T-72->T-90 are parallel lines of MBT development that were both going on in the Soviet Union. T-64 was designed to be the best tank in the world, but turned out to be so expensive they had no hope of issuing them to every unit, like they had with T-55. So they developed the T-72 series as "mobilization models", to be cheaper to mass-produce. T-64 evolved into T-80. So is T-80 is better than T-72? When they were originally made, yes. However, the T-72 design was much less "tight", and turned out to be better base for upgrades, so the most upgraded T-72 models (which are basically what T-90 is, except new builds) are in some ways actually superior to the best T-80s.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I have a feeling there are some American businessmen in Florida who are EXTREMELY unhappy right now

Can't imagine why :shrug:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Rad Russian posted:

A few T-80s, not a single confirmed destroyed T-90 pic/video from what I've seen. I think the most modern overall confirmed kill for Ukraine so far has been a Ka-52 heli.

Ukraine posted they shot down an Su-35 however there's no video/photo confirmation and that would be a complete emabarssment to Russian air reputation if true.

There's documentation of two ka-52s. the su30 or 35 was hit on the ground when Ukraine launched a missile at a Russian airbase.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Tuna-Fish posted:

Much like shooting fleeing enemies in the back is a dick thing to do but explicitly not a warcrime, the same is true about shooting at paratroopers. Shooting down a pilot who jumps out of a burning plane would be, but if the person has weapons and is jumping intentionally to come and kill you, it is in fact entirely a-ok to shoot at them while they are helplessly dangling.

thank god my red alert tactics havent made me a videogame war criminal

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/iaponomarenko/status/1497720916054323204

https://twitter.com/lapatina_/status/1497721064708882450

The second is an oil terminal, it appears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

steinrokkan posted:

T90s are just T72s with a new sticker name. AFAIK T80s are the better tanks.

My understanding is that while T-64 and T-80 were the 'premium' tanks, they also had way more maintenance issues and after the collapse there was little point in making new ones. T-72 and T-90 are more affordable and easier to keep running. It's the upgrade packages that matter more - if a T-72 is fitted with modern fire control system and thermal optics and ARENA and bells and whistles then it's practically a different tank. But how large portion of the fleet has gone through the conversion when the plan was to replace them with T-14's...