Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Soul Dentist posted:

Turn your oven to 450 or higher with a cast iron pan inside. Chop a whole bunch of parsley with stems and a medium onion. Mash those in a bowl with two cans of whatever fish product in oil you want. With the oil from one can.

Pour all that into the sizzling cast iron and throw back in the oven for five minutes. After five minutes or when everything's getting browned and crispy, make four divots and crack an egg into each. Back in the oven for four minutes or until the eggs are done how you want them. Serve.

E: with sambal. Serve with sambal please

Watch it like a hawk because it’ll get ruined if you leave it in the oven 30 seconds too long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Cat Hassler posted:

Watch it like a hawk

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

onions will be fine, parsley not so much but I think fishmans oven temps for ten minutes will, at least, put the fear of god into any pathogens chillin' on your parsley

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
You worry about pathogens on fresh herbs? In a dish that features runny eggs no less?

Nobody mention tabbouleh or how it's really good with sardines

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Soul Dentist posted:

You worry about pathogens on fresh herbs? In a dish that features runny eggs no less?

Nobody mention tabbouleh or how it's really good with sardines

Do you not rinse off your herbs before eating them?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I rinse them when I buy them from the store and store in paper towels in the fridge or a glass of water on the counter.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just spit on them and give them a quick rub on my shirt.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

KO 'dines in white wine vinegar, olive oil, and capers. Top loving notch.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

First good tomato dines I’ve ever had. Porthos got it right.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
TIL that a steak Oscar gets it's name from the fact that veal Oscar was a favorite of the King of Dines himself. Even if they don't sell lump crab.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Where are you located? Costco carries the Acme nova salmon as well as their own Kirkland brand, which is cheaper and identical, as far as I can tell.

I've never seen "smoked blind robins" anywhere, but I wonder if they're like bacalao (salt cod) and need to be rehydrated.

Smoked whitefish and chubs are some of my all-time favorites too. Every few years I'll splurge on a whole chub and make whitefish salad, but the hundreds of thin, plastic-like, pin-shaped bones are a real annoyance.

I'm in the Madison area of south central WI, I finally bought some smoked blind robins, they are salted/smoked herring and holy poo poo the salt! The smoke! It was like biting a burnt electric fence. I gave up as I'm super busy this week and tossed them but I suspect that soaking in water or milk and carefully warming them up would pay off, kind of. Sort of. A little in kedgeree or potato soup is supposed to be good. Canned kipper snacks are always there for me though so why bother with those difficult things.

naem
May 29, 2011

wholesome dad John Townsend’s mildly obsessive-compulsive you tube has several videos about forgotten ways of preserving food before refrigeration

https://youtu.be/QdzAt6e1l-c

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I mean, I eat bacalhau as often as possible so stockfish is just that with an EZ-Carry handle. Also I've seen multiple of his videos already that involve essentially confiting whole chunks of meat in butter, so double would.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Went to a Portuguese market, got some Vinho Verde and 'dines

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Myron Baloney posted:

I'm in the Madison area of south central WI, I finally bought some smoked blind robins, they are salted/smoked herring and holy poo poo the salt! The smoke! It was like biting a burnt electric fence. I gave up as I'm super busy this week and tossed them but I suspect that soaking in water or milk and carefully warming them up would pay off, kind of. Sort of. A little in kedgeree or potato soup is supposed to be good. Canned kipper snacks are always there for me though so why bother with those difficult things.

The first time I ever heard of blind robins they were described to me as a bar snack. so maybe with large amounts of beer

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

The Voice of Labor posted:

lady and gentlemen

fisherman's bagel

:sickos:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the seasons in lousiana hot sauce are p' good but the sauce they're in in no way shape or form resembles tabasco. it's more like a tomato chile sauce

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

the seasons in lousiana hot sauce are p' good but the sauce they're in in no way shape or form resembles tabasco. it's more like a tomato chile sauce

You make that sound like it's a bad thing.

I don't care for plain Tobasco sauce

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

my sardines say packed in lousiana hot sauce, that's kinda what I expect. like, I was looking forward to going to town on a can of beachcliffs in hot sauce only good and what I got was not that. it wasn't better or worse, they are good tasty 'dines, it was just unexpected

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I think if they used actual hot sauce the fish would be pickled rather than just canned, from the vinegar. The texture would be firmer and bouncier from the acid.

Wait why don't they do that!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

there's plenty fish packed in vinegar and lemon juice and tomato sauce isn't exactly not acidic also mustard. maybe that's the "cheap dine" commonality, really acidic canning medium

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Taste the "mustard" out of a can of sardines and then taste it from a bottle. It's not the same thing. Also the pH of tomatoes is definitely not enough to escabeche

naem
May 29, 2011

as usual king oscar tomato and ko dijon mustard are both amazing

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

did a can of la megara's with lemon. p' good. I was going to use my dirt ph tester to get some OBJECTIVE QUANTIFIABLE data regarding dine acidity, but the first thing the instructions say is not to put it in liquids so I couldn't get a vinegar baseline and subsequently called the project off.

subjectively the dines were sour, not overwhelmingly so, but the lemon juice had def' penetrated the dine flesh thoroughly and evenly. texture might have been a bit on the firm/rubbery side, but that might also be confirmation bias on my part as I was going into this can looking for the ceviche effect. taste was good, lemony, salty. oil was soy bean and seemed fine.

next time I'm at the old people store I'm going to get a thing of ph strips and cans of beachcliff in hot sauce and mustard

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
God speed I'm genuinely really curious!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

there's plenty fish packed in vinegar and lemon juice and tomato sauce isn't exactly not acidic also mustard. maybe that's the "cheap dine" commonality, really acidic canning medium

I'm in the "they put the lovely fish in mustard/tomato" camp. Not only does the "sauce" suck, so do the fish, IMO.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Android Apocalypse posted:

You make that sound like it's a bad thing.

I don't care for plain Tobasco sauce
I quite like tabasco but its a fine line between it being pointless and it sticking out by itself too much, other hot sauces seem to blend in better with stuff

that said literally just made sardines with spring onion, tons of pepper, a bit of lime juice and tabasco and it was perfect on toast

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I usually only use Tabasco if there aren't other, better hot sauces available, or if I deliberately want something that adds heat and little flavor. Like, I don't hate Tabasco, I just consider it to have a very flat and mild flavor profile.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Tabasco's variants are better than the regular. Scorpion, garlic/cayenne, and chipotle are good.

I once had a tabasco soy sauce that was given to me by a friend from Louisiana and it was surprisingly good as a gyoza dippin' sauce.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I've said it before and I'll say it again Tabasco is gutter trash. The variants aren't bad but it's an embarrassment to the International Hot Sauce Community

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Think of it more a pepper vinegar. It’s a blended Tabasco pepper vinegar.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
All hot sauce is pepper vinegar. Tabasco uses trash Tennessee whiskey barrels sanded down to make it weird. Barrel aged hot sauce in general isn't my thing but Tabasco is like a pelican poo poo in an open Jack barrel of Frank's.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yes all hot sauce is pepper vinegar or fermented pepper blended in the brine.

But there is also pepper vinegar. Whole Tabasco peppers in vinegar, and the vinegar poured off the peppers is the condiment. Tabasco is a blended pepper vinegar in that sense.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 28, 2022

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah this poo poo:

is dope, is not what people think when Tabasco is mentioned, and actually isn't what I even think about when I think about hot sauce, but I'd use it the same way. On a sardine sandwich? :kiss:

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Soul Dentist posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again Tabasco is gutter trash. The variants aren't bad but it's an embarrassment to the International Hot Sauce Community

The only time I liked Tabasco was in the tiny bottles in MREs. It isn't hot and is too thin to qualify as sauce, but, in the desert, you take what you can get.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Soul Dentist posted:

Yeah this poo poo:

is dope, is not what people think when Tabasco is mentioned, and actually isn't what I even think about when I think about hot sauce, but I'd use it the same way. On a sardine sandwich? :kiss:

is it easy to get the peppers out

e: i want to eat the peppers

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Soul Dentist posted:

Yeah this poo poo:

There's also Pique, a Puerto Rican condiment. It's peppers and stuff in a bottle of vinegar. There's no standard recipe so you'll want to read a bunch to figure out the sort of stuff you want infusing in your home's bottle.

Here's a basic one to get ya started: https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-recipes/hot-sauces/pique-puerto-rican-hot-sauce/

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Oh hell yes with the pineapple and garlic. I had a buddy that spent like four years at Rikers that kept a bottle on him at all times. He would eat literally anything, up to and including trash, like a goat except he refused to eat peanut butter because "that's what he ate on the inside"

One time we went fishing in Sheepshead Bay and caught some gnarly looking chum fish that he brought home and made into fish head soup that everybody except his mom refused to eat. His mom loved it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Chipotle Tabasco is the only variant I like.

In the Philippines there's sukang sawsawan or sinamak, which are vinegar dipping sauces with chilis in them. They're nice to cut thru fatty dishes like lumpia or bangus.

Bangus is fried milkfish so that's sardines-adjacent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
I'm pretty well convinced that almost anything Tabasco does well, Crystal does better.