Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Can you ever buy these stupid bottom tier smithing stones? Who sells them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Holy gently caress this underground purple chasm - what the gently caress is going on?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DeathChicken posted:

Accidentally discovered you can knock Margit down and get a backstab on him by jump R2ing his back, but not sure the exact spot or timing of it, just that it happened twice. Helpful

you’re breaking his poise ala sekiro. jump r2’s and charged r2s and guard counters do big poise damage

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Cowcaster posted:

you’re breaking his poise ala sekiro. jump r2’s and charged r2s and guard counters do big poise damage

It even makes the Sekiro audio sting

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
With my shield out I've just been pressing R2 after I block something. That video looks like he puts the shield out right at the attack and gets an even more mega hit on him. Didn't even know you could do that at all. Looks like rolling directly at him is the best way to roll while I've been going backwards or sideways. I've been just holding my shield out too with the barricade Ash of War but he swings so many times it still breaks my stance and I can't get the R2 attack in.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

idk why but I am just...not using shields. There has always been one on my character but I'm 16 hours in, I think i've parried twice and have blocked an attack once. I just dodge roll or jump/run out the way while either using magic or a 2H.

Also I haven't seen anyone mention it here but bloodstains are fixed now on PC

vvv welcome 2 da beep sandwich, bitch :c00l: vvv

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 27, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sir Tonk posted:

wait'll you meet the one with an exploding barrel on its feet

I couldn't even be mad when that happened, haha, just sat there laughing at the audacity of that loving bird.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

^^^ welcome 2 da beep sandwich, bitch :c00l: ^^^

I have a big choice to make in a few levels cause I found a really cool 3-headed flail from some miniboss that looks cool and does a lot of damage but I just...do not enjoy the look and feel of flails in this game. they are not fun

On the other hand I found a badass spiked morning star that is EXTREMELY satisfying to smash stuff to bits with and the bleed proc on it is like 3 hits :stare:

But like everyone is saying i'm really skittish on using my upgrade mats cause they're so hard to come by and I don't want to find something I like better and not upgrade it....

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

beep by grandpa posted:

I have a big choice to make in a few levels cause I found a really cool 3-headed flail from some miniboss that looks cool and does a lot of damage but I just...do not enjoy the look and feel of flails in this game. they are not fun

On the other hand I found a badass spiked morning star that is EXTREMELY satisfying to smash stuff to bits with and the bleed proc on it is like 3 hits :stare:

But like everyone is saying i'm really skittish on using my upgrade mats cause they're so hard to come by and I don't want to find something I like better and not upgrade it....

I regret upgrading to a Longsword +2 already, but at least it's a good standby

Though this straight sword I found has more counter damage...

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I am quite surprised by this slenderman cameo. And as a minor boss even. Tombsward Catacombs

The catacomb bosses all seem very strange in a very good way. Pity they drop nothing interesting.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Thought I was being funny taking the elevator in the magic academy the wrong way.

Instantly eaten by an iron maiden on wheels and sent to volcano manor.

This is my favorite game of all time.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

beep by grandpa posted:

idk why but I am just...not using shields. There has always been one on my character but I'm 16 hours in, I think i've parried twice and have blocked an attack once. I just dodge roll or jump/run out the way while either using magic or a 2H.

Also I haven't seen anyone mention it here but bloodstains are fixed now on PC

vvv welcome 2 da beep sandwich, bitch :c00l: vvv

You are not using shields because it is the good & correct way to play

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Completely new to these games and quick question: can I (and/or is it a good idea to) turn off the messages/ghost figures that appear to be left by other players online? I can't see an option for it in the menu and it's ruining my precious immersion to read people's dumb franchise in-jokes every ten metres.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

hazardousmouse posted:

Yeah, this is where I'm at right now. Just gonna reroll a quality build or something. Sigh.

I've grinded up an astrologer a bit and it works if you use sword and shield and treat mage as having a superpowerful ranged attack, but fight melee at close range. I wish the spells were a bit cooler/more varied though. The spell gameplay is very samey.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Appoda posted:

I think they're cool but like a lot of enemies they're very spammy, and them being airborne makes fighting them all the more obnoxious with Elden Ring's general combat speed.

Still, nothing compared to the bird people in DS3's Crucifixion Woods. Those things deserve their hell.

Never had too much trouble with them but the flying enemies in Elden Ring are just super frustrating for me. At least the bloodflies in the marches die with one throwing knive, that is pretty satisfying :D

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
astrologers seem pretty strong / easy early on. do they stay that way?

also, is there any guidance or safe path for building stats? levelling up feels a bit like old RPGs to me, where you're buying stats but without really knowing what the later requirements will be. like if my guy just goes into strength, endurance, and vigor, and then the end game god sword requires a certain amount of int to equip, am I just hosed

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Spells seem to drop off later on and there are weapon Arts that do just at much area damage and stuff as spells, from what I've read.

I'm leaning doing a str/faith build but I went hero so I can just respec into pure STR or quality build easily if it turns out bad.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Phoix posted:

There's a boss later that basically reads inputs like a fighting game story boss so I think From just wanted this game to be brutal

Details? I haven’t run across this yet and I’d def like to know when I’m going to be hella frustrated.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

All right someone help me figure out the magical door I got the meeting map but I can’t tell where it is. Where do I go?

You wanna go directly west of the big giant white castle, on the ground floor. It's behind a dragon. (You can sneak if you don't want to fight it.)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm not great at these games, but I'd like to think I can at least learn the basics.

How the gently caress is parry supposed to work? I tried it for one guy and blocked his first attack, taking no damage then he kept attacking in a combo through the parry and killed me.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

freebooter posted:

Completely new to these games and quick question: can I (and/or is it a good idea to) turn off the messages/ghost figures that appear to be left by other players online? I can't see an option for it in the menu and it's ruining my precious immersion to read people's dumb franchise in-jokes every ten metres.

To most people the community aspect of it is part of the experience, but it also sounds like you answered your own question. Just play offline from the settings menu

Orv
May 4, 2011

pentyne posted:

I'm not great at these games, but I'd like to think I can at least learn the basics.

How the gently caress is parry supposed to work? I tried it for one guy and blocked his first attack, taking no damage then he kept attacking in a combo through the parry and killed me.

You parry into an oncoming attack, basically as the animation goes from windup to forward movement. There's a few exceptions to this but they're rare enemies across the series.

Also, if you get a sort of whiff sound and don't take damage, or only partial damage but don't stun the enemy, you parried either too late or too soon but just outside the proper window.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

pentyne posted:

There's two different things.

Parry is a skill on a shield that looks like a shield bash where you have to press it just as an attack is incoming. If you time it right you stagger the enemy and can do a big finisher on them

Counter guard is where you block an attack and hit back right away and if you time it right it'll stagger them. If they have a chain of attacks and you try to do this they probably hit you first and wipe you out

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Is the game good, I didn’t get a preorder so everyone is sold out :(

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hey all I didn't see anyone saying anything about it recently but regarding the PC hitches I tried this today and I saw the hitches significantly drop. Or it coincided with whatever that patch overnight was, but it's worth a try. Didn't eliminate 100% of the hitches but I notice they are way less frequent and are way less noticeable. To the point where I forgot I had even done this trick cause I was immersed and not thinking about it.

But anyway I wanted to bring attention to it tonight for the PM crowd to see sine this thread moves so fast.

From what I looked into, all this thing does is try to emulate old Windows driver performance so stuff with older games may not function right (such as MIDIs playing) until you re-enable it

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol I put Sacred Blade on the Lordsworn Greatsword and went with Faith, and even at 12/10 STR/FTH +0 it's absurdly strong while the buff is up

I'm going similar (but with morning star) and was wondering if the enchantment you get that isn't a battle art lasts longer. It feels like I get maybe 10 seconds of buff with the battle art and hope the enchant at least might get me through half a fight.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Is the game good, I didn’t get a preorder so everyone is sold out :(

Seems pretty fun on PS4, but I haven't run my mage dude into any serious megabosses or giant castles yet. Fantastic exploration, solid combat, and all sorts of incentives to figure out the meanest way to take out your enemies.

If you consider a digital version, be very careful with the PC version. I had serious bugs, ended up refunding and switching to console.

EDIT: I have seen a few bosses in PS4 that start frame-stuttering like crazy, but I could move around just fine. So far, that just kinda adds to the appeal, makes them look extra spooky, but it might be a little frustrating if you are trying to melee instead of bombarding them with energy bullets while riding your horse away. Inside dungeon arenas instead of open world fights, everything worked just fine.

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 27, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I feel like I must have missed it somewhere, but where do you gets bows? I've picked up plenty of arrows, and seen lots of "bow required ahead" messages where it would have obviously been helpful to use ranged attacks to draw people out.... but I can't find a bow!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Procrastinating on ever chasing the main plot. Accidentally Gets teleported into a mine. Bumbles along into poison land

Maiden: Wow! You sure seem worthy of entering the main hub.

Sounds about right.

Jerusalem posted:

I feel like I must have missed it somewhere, but where do you gets bows? I've picked up plenty of arrows, and seen lots of "bow required ahead" messages where it would have obviously been helpful to use ranged attacks to draw people out.... but I can't find a bow!

While I have yet to find a bow (assuming they probably sell one once I start looking around the main hub). I have been making do with weak crafted bone darts for attention getting.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I haven't found any bows but I have found numerous crossbows, but one of the NPCs at the roundtable sells a basic bow for 1000

FWIW I haven't used any bows at all but i also have glintstone pebbles :whatup:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Abductor Virgin is some BULLSHIT

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I found a merchant down on the beach northwest-ish of the starting location that sold me a shortbow - unless I am recalling incorrectly.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

terrorist ambulance posted:

astrologers seem pretty strong / easy early on. do they stay that way?

also, is there any guidance or safe path for building stats? levelling up feels a bit like old RPGs to me, where you're buying stats but without really knowing what the later requirements will be. like if my guy just goes into strength, endurance, and vigor, and then the end game god sword requires a certain amount of int to equip, am I just hosed

I haven't really gotten far enough yet, but melee weapons definitely catch up to spells in terms of damage. The real advantage of astrologer is being able to do lots of ranged damage, and also the AI is bad in terms of range.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Section Z posted:

Procrastinating on ever chasing the main plot. Accidentally Gets teleported into a mine. Bumbles along into poison land

Maiden: Wow! You sure seem worthy of entering the main hub.

Sounds about right.

Haha, she told me the same thing after I had taken a series of beatings from Magrit :allears:

beep by grandpa posted:

I haven't found any bows but I have found numerous crossbows, but one of the NPCs at the roundtable sells a basic bow for 1000

Ahhh of course, I haven't been back there since the first time I went and I didn't have any runes at the time so I couldn't buy anything.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

DeathChicken posted:

I dunno, at least Father Guacamole didn't fight you in an area where backing up too far one way is an instadeath by falling, and backing up the other way is an instadeath by getting pinned on a wall

Don’t sit here and pretend you didn’t get owned by a tombstone during that fight

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Crucible Knight was fun and also good practice

https://twitter.com/bideojames4/status/1497732114954866689

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

I'm 7 hrs in and still haven't been invited to the roundtable

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
One and a half hours farming and no sign of the chain-link flail to drop from . I think I'm going to try getting the morning star instead. feelsbad

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I have a second great rune but it's not showing up in the great rune menu at the grace sites. what gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

FRIENDS, Something I'm noticing in this thread is I think we should all take the time to be a little more informational on the context your spoilers outside of your tags

Bear in mind that this is a 50 billion hour game that's been out for a day and change and prob no one on planet earth has beaten it legitimately yet so if you need help with something or want to share something important

Instead of spoiler tagging your entire block outright with zero clues on wtf you're talking about I think it would be more helpful for everyone here to tee it up a little bit outside of your tags on the area you are referring to so people who are farther into the game but still being mindful of spoilers can connect with you easier - just tryin to help out and make sure you guys connect with each other! :shobon:

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 27, 2022