Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

good song :rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a primate posted:

has this thread contorted itself into cheering on civilian deaths yet

P sure we have been making fun of the Ukranian government handing out firearms to civilians because it will lead to more civilian deaths but I'm sure this has nothing to do with all the recent reports of non ukranian speakers being targeted as saboteurs and infiltrators

OK baizuo has issued a correction as of 01:44 on Feb 27, 2022

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Asproigerosis posted:

I hope lbgtq and minority groups see all this performative poo poo with colored lights and you are seen and you are heard and think to themselves this all looks familiar (libs will never help you, care about you, or do anything to improve your condition in life)

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

psycho with a gun posted:

Cool, hang Xi too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OK baizuo posted:

P sure we have been making fun of the Ukranian government handing out firearms to civilians because it will lead to more civilian deaths

well, it is a pretty loving volksturm level of defensive strategy, so... yeah, it is bloody stupid and therefore funny

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives
What do we think is more likely to happen first: Russia runs out of money/supplies/troops/steam and Putin admits defeat in a "truce" or Russia just starts shelling major Ukrainian cities because their entire populaces are now armed to the teeth and not folding?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

handing out small arms to civilians is also, notably, not the sort of thing you do if you reckon you're in this with a chance

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Androies posted:

What do we think is more likely to happen first: Russia runs out of money/supplies/troops/steam and Putin admits defeat in a "truce" or Russia just starts shelling major Ukrainian cities because their entire populaces are now armed to the teeth and not folding?

given they're moving up thermobaric artillery, probably B

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

the winner of Eurovision should decide.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Androies posted:

read the thread dipshit

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Asproigerosis posted:

I hope lbgtq and minority groups see all this performative poo poo with colored lights and you are seen and you are heard and think to themselves this all looks familiar (libs will never help you, care about you, or do anything to improve your condition in life)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Asproigerosis posted:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Asproigerosis posted:

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

god bless our brave OSINT warriors manning the Cherry Hills Mall

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I literally had a younger trans friend tell me 'wait we're doing the same thing for Ukraine being invaded as we are for loving Pride month?' and I could practically hear the crackin and the pingin in her head

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Azathoth posted:

i'm legit surprised we haven't yet bumbled into nuclear war via trying to impose a no fly zone. thought it was going to happen when those kc130s went up

As the West has escalated it's response and rethoric I start feeling more and more dread that someone is going to do something stupid and things will spiral out of control.

And it will be hard to put the brakes on it after weeks of calling Putin "the embodiment of all evil" and poo poo.

Imagine a situation like the Turkish shooting down of the Russian jet in Syria, but happening on the Polish border.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

Androies posted:

neither. they'll kill what passes for the ukrainian army in the field then pull everyone back to the east side of the dneiper while the rest of the country guns it out over parking tickets and poker debts.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

sexpig by night posted:

I literally had a younger trans friend tell me 'wait we're doing the same thing for Ukraine being invaded as we are for loving Pride month?' and I could practically hear the crackin and the pingin in her head

and no one is doing poo poo about the actual attack on trans rights across the country so we're all hosed

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Androies posted:

neither, hth.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Androies posted:

The could just cut food and water to the cities and wait.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

An essay from this morning regarding Putin's goals in Ukraine:

https://ria.ru/20220226/rossiya-1775162336.html

but how on earth are they going to make Ukrainians love Russia after killing so many of them? seems really optimistic

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Lmao

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
ukraine is the underdog that will be utterly annihilated by the grand might of the russian army, and simultaneously the anti-Russian government is a threat to Russia's existence

Kill All Cops has issued a correction as of 01:53 on Feb 27, 2022

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

the US gives high school GSA groups stinger missiles?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

if you're in the ukranian ministry of defence, what are your real options here? the eastern forces are pinned and almost encircled from crimea, the kyiv front can be reinforced in short order (?), there may be a new line of advance in the west from belarus to stop additional lethal aid... so, do you just already start to plan for and begin to execute a bloody insurgency phase?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

WrasslorMonkey posted:

bobs out for ukraine

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

1. russia goes home with its tail between its legs, guns immediately hit the black market.

or

2. Russia wins, most of the guns get amnestied into russian hands, the rest goes to insurgents/funding an insurgency.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Crusader posted:

if you're in the ukranian ministry of defence, what are your real options here? the eastern forces are pinned and almost encircled from crimea, the kyiv front can be reinforced in short order (?), there may be a new line of advance in the west from belarus to stop additional lethal aid... so, do you just already start to plan for and begin to execute a bloody insurgency phase?

Hit da bricks and skedaddle

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

V. Illych L. posted:

one other thing which is frustrating is the eagerness of everyone to arm a belligerent of an all-out war as some kind of moral statement

whether that party can actually *win* said war doesn't even seem to enter into the calculus. so we're talking about just dragging things out, a course of action i have a hard time seeing as anything other than, well, evil

Guns don't stop firing when talks start, and the situation other groundis the biggest factor in negotiation

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Crusader posted:

No dude you surrender.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Danann posted:

We've basically been only able to observe the Russian forces POV from the official news reels, Russians posting about themselves on their phones, and Ukrainians uploading pics and videos from their phones.

The Russian side hasn't been trying to win the posting war and Ukraine is conspicuously absent with their drone footage that they should be in possession of to use in their propaganda pushes.

Advanced military technology in Russia: Capabilities, limitations and challenges

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

:xickos:

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Crusader posted:

start up the plans for an insurgency and then quietly bug out of the country to run a CIA-backed govt in exile in Poland or whatever.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Acerbatus posted:

Guns don't stop firing when talks start, and the situation other groundis the biggest factor in negotiation

it does not look to me like this is going to end in any other way than basically ukrainian capitulation, but i've been wrong before and i know even less about this kind of purely military matter than about international politics

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I don't really see what the end goal is for Russia at this point. They in all likelihood are not equipped for a long occupation in a country the size of Ukraine. So it's either replace or pacify the Zelensky government into a puppet state and then gently caress off and let the cycle started in 2014 start again. All eventualities seem terrible here.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

nawilo_420 posted:

the regulars of the eurasia thread are mass empty quoting a post in which the poster is telling queer people and minorities in Ukraine how to think. cool thread for sure

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Le Saboteur posted:

I don't really see what the end goal is for Russia at this point. They in all likelihood are not equipped for a long occupation in a country the size of Ukraine. So it's either replace or pacify the Zelensky government into a puppet state and then gently caress off and let the cycle started in 2014 start again. All eventualities seem terrible here.

i agree with this and this is a big part of why i really didn't think there was going to be an invasion. presumably putin's government has something in mind, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005